ADVERTISEMENT

spring game attendance by team

No way Syracuse had 4,000, somebody must have put an extra zero in there.

I'll be at the Mets game that night and thus unable to see the Spring game. I expect 15,000 fans. Cold, maybe rain on a Friday night = low turnout. I also don't think spring turnout means that much in regards to the fan base.

Originally posted by Panthergrowl13:
Pitt played their spring game at Highmark Stadiium in Station Square.

Included in the announced attendance of 5325- a standing only crowd- were many of Pitt's former football players including

Larry Fitzgerald, Aaron Donald, Curtis Martin, LeSean McCoy, Bill Fralic, Jimbo Covert, Rod Rutherford and many others.

Actually a very nice spring game experience for those in attendance.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
i'm sure it was a nice, but standing room only crowd is a bit dubious distinction, no? you guys played at a minor league soccer venue....no offense

do other boards concern themselves with spring attendance as much as this one? RU will get 10-15K which will still put them in the top 20-30 but Id rather trade for 5K attendance at spring games for 9-3 seasons

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

Originally posted by slyker:
The biggest surprise to me in that whole list was Notre Dame.... listed as only having 3,590 butts in the seats.
On the list, they appear one spot below Syracuse and one spot above Uconn

This post was edited on 4/19 6:12 PM by slyker
100,000 front runners, many of which don't know what state ND is located in. Not surprising to me.
Wow, are you guys that naïve.

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Good luck getting any students to come on a cold night on a party weekend

Bingo - temps are supposed to drop into the 40s. If we get 10K, I'd say that's pretty good. Student attendance will be very small.

Think of the student attendance for the USF game in 2011 - the one we rallied late to win when Dodd replaced Nova.
The board was begging all season for a night game - it was our first Saturday night home game since 2007 and you could have held archery practice in the south end zone.

This post was edited on 4/20 10:52 AM by Local Shill

Yes, Highmark Stadium (River Hounds Soccer)

Over capacity venue and everyone in attendance had a great time, especially the kids who were able to get autographs and pictures with Pitt's current and former NFL players.

Weather was fantastic.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Most adults work and are less likely to rush around to attend a night game devoid of tailgating
I tend to agree with this. For my group, we are fans of course, but only a few of us are real diehards. Most come to games for the tailgates. Although there will probably be a lot more people who could go friday night, without time to tailgate, and rushing home and then to the game, I think this will lower attendance. I hope the fans prove me wrong though. Would love to see 20k there.

The weather forecast will be the biggest determinant but I think many who might not normally go will attend this time to see how the QB competition is shaping up.

Why is there "no tailgating" as some people are saying? Is it not permitted or just due to the timing of the game?

Bac is right on this. People like the Spring Game because it's usually a good tailgaiting opportunity, for free, nice weather, right outside the stadium.

This will decrease attendance, as will the the fact that 287 is a parking lot Friday nights and the closest major highway to the stadium.

Granted we are not TTFP where you have a lot of fans at a major distance to the stadium. Most of our fans live somewhere between NYC and Philly, but that said, the travel time is really up there despite the distance on a Friday night.

I don't think most of our fans would mind if next year Maryland or NW or another team in a major metro area took this Friday night "honor"...our fans deserve a daytime tailgate.

Originally posted by ecojew:

Why is there "no tailgating" as some people are saying? Is it not permitted or just due to the timing of the game?
No one said tailgating is prohibited. They're just commenting that most fans won't tailgate due to the day and time of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT