ADVERTISEMENT

Straightforward poll: should CVS be replaced before next season: yes or no?

Should CVS be replaced as head coach before the 2022-2023 women's basketball season?

• Yes

Votes: 180 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.1%

• Total voters
Not sure I do. There are something like 350 D1 basketball programs and you don't think the RAC was one of them? Frankly I haven't seen a change in recruitment for either program driven by the APC. We haven't had the Power 5 level practice facility , true. But to suggest the RAC..considered one of the best BBall environments in the country is an embarrassment I don't get. Did Diamond transfer out of Rutgers because the APC wasn't good enough?

And to be clear. Please don't interpret my comments to be lacking in appreciation for the great things she accomplished in the past. I'm not suggesting she didn't deserve what she was paid years past. But this is still a good bit of a business and loyalty has other forms. This concept of moving into an admin role is certainly a good example IMO.

I was a big advocate for the women's program and have attended games going all the way back to my frosh year in '77. MY interest in the program has waned last few years and I watched only one game this year. First round PSU. Something's got to change. (or not).
I'm not 100% certain he was referring to the RAC. But the RAC is only a great facility when it is crowded with a cheering crowd - that has been missing for a while, I think.

I have read articles about the impact of facilities. It isn't the only factor. But as Rutgers slid after the "Fab Five" fiasco, better facilities would have been yet another factor in convincing higher recruits to come. So far as I can see, the better facilities have had an impact on both men's and womens's sides.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I'm not 100% certain he was referring to the RAC. But the RAC is only a great facility when it is crowded with a cheering crowd - that has been missing for a while, I think.

I have read articles about the impact of facilities. It isn't the only factor. But as Rutgers slid after the "Fab Five" fiasco, better facilities would have been yet another factor in convincing higher recruits to come. So far as I can see, the better facilities have had an impact on both men's and womens's sides.
Of course he was taking about the RAC. No other practice facility existed unless the women practiced at the Barn?
The Fab five came here after the imus mess and I think half left shortly later.
The best teams we've had with Tasha, Kia, Matee, Piph, essence, cappie we're all recruited well before . Best player here, best player there. Getting high women's recruits hasn't been the issue.

Of course he was taking about the RAC. No other practice facility existed unless the women practiced at the Barn?
The Fab five came here after the imus mess and I think half left shortly later.
The best teams we've had with Tasha, Kia, Matee, Piph, essence, cappie we're all recruited well before . Best player here, best player there. Getting high women's recruits hasn't been the issue.

No, I was referring to all of the facilities that athletes need - training, practice courts, rehab facilities, entertainment etc - all of the stuff other schools had. We were worst in class with our basketball facilities until the APC. Hell, even the RAC didn’t have AC until the past decade. The RAC could use a facelift and better concourses.

No, I was referring to all of the facilities that athletes need - training, practice courts, rehab facilities, entertainment etc - all of the stuff other schools had. We were worst in class with our basketball facilities until the APC. Hell, even the RAC didn’t have AC until the past decade. The RAC could use a facelift and better concourses.
OK but the RAC was the ONLY facility we had LOL . I know they had done the locker rooms over a number of times but as for this other stuff. Yes. I agree. And I certainly do about further needed upgrades to place. Shocked they've let the outside look this way for so long. I've noted some simple ideas in other threads. Have been told something is definitely in the works by other posters. (fingers crossed).

OK but the RAC was the ONLY facility we had LOL . I know they had done the locker rooms over a number of times but as for this other stuff. Yes. I agree. And I certainly do about further needed upgrades to place. Shocked they've let the outside look this way for so long. I've noted some simple ideas in other threads. Have been told something is definitely in the works by other posters. (fingers crossed).

Eager to listen to hear Hobbs updates on the RAC renovations. RAC is perfect except for the moldy exterior, concessions and bathrooms.

It’s more than just locker rooms. Basically, everyone had an APC for the last 15-20 years except for us.

Facilities are not the reason CVS declined
But over the years the facilities was something RU M&W basketball had to overcome before Hobbs' fundraising helped make improvements.
The men's program never could overcome that handicap, the women's under CVS did an admirable job , but not up to the expectations that the fans had/have for RU WBB.

Coaching decline because of health might be a possibility, but the program did look like it was improving under Stringer the last couple of years she was running it, but took a dump this year with her taking a LOA and being away from the program

Now with the facilities improved men's basketball is moving upward, but even with improved faclities not an issue anymore Stringer's health might be a concerns for the High School talent tshe goes after, if she comes back.
With CVS' taking time off because of fatigue a few years ago , her age and LOA this year, recruits might feel Rutgers is not a stable program under her and this years play under Tim might make them decide not to take a chance on Rutgers and go elsewhere.

But over the years the facilities was something RU M&W basketball had to overcome before Hobbs' fundraising helped make improvements.
The men's program never could overcome that handicap, the women's under CVS did an admirable job , but not up to the expectations that the fans had/have for RU WBB.

Coaching decline because of health might be a possibility, but the program did look like it was improving under Stringer the last couple of years she was running it, but took a dump this year with her taking a LOA and being away from the program

Now with the facilities improved men's basketball is moving upward, but even with improved faclities not an issue anymore Stringer's health might be a concerns for the High School talent tshe goes after, if she comes back.
With CVS' taking time off because of fatigue a few years ago , her age and LOA this year, recruits might feel Rutgers is not a stable program under her and this years play under Tim might make them decide not to take a chance on Rutgers and go elsewhere.
Other than perhaps Cliff, what MBB impact recruits have been influenced by the improved facilities yet we have seen improvement. I’ve been hearing the “facilities” excuse from the CVS diehards for years. Facilities certainly have some effect but I don’t think to the degree that most people believe. If CVS stays I hope she kills it in recruiting and RU WBB returns to its former glory but I’m not holding my breath. I’ve heard the ”just wait until next year” song for too long now.

Other than perhaps Cliff, what MBB impact recruits have been influenced by the improved facilities yet we have seen improvement. I’ve been hearing the “facilities” excuse from the CVS diehards for years. Facilities certainly have some effect but I don’t think to the degree that most people believe. If CVS stays I hope she kills it in recruiting and RU WBB returns to its former glory but I’m not holding my breath. I’ve heard the ”just wait until next year” song for too long now.
The facilities I talked about hampered the MBB program's recruiting effort.
Over the years not too many highly sought after HS talent gave RU a good look,
because from the facilities they didn't like what they saw and RU didn't have the type of basketball tradition that could overcome the lack of tradition and poor facilities.
Actually I remember it was the RUMBB diehards I remember claiming the facilities were keeping the talent away and that was the reason for so many years tje men's program was losing
WBB supporters, if I remember right, decried the facilities but said Vivian's brand name and reputation as a coach overcome what the facilities made hard to do.

As for CVS her name recognition and respect throughout the basketball world helped the RU WBB program overcome those same poor facilities.
That said, I doubt Vivian will kill it like before, her fatigue issue a couple years ago, age and the LOA on now will be a problem that will be hard for her to overcome when recruiting talented HS players and having their coaches and advisors believe she'll last the full term of her contract and worry if she's still up to the riggers of running a top program.

I have been a diehard Stringer supporter in the past and want the best for her now, but I also realize it would be best for the WBB program for her to retire and let Hobbs hire a new HC that looks like he/she can bring Rutgers back to the glory days and recruit the type of players to do that.

She can't recruit or coach at this level anymore. Will only get worse and her immense ego blinds her to this fact. She needs to get that last $ million sitting in a rocking chair. Every legend comes to an end.

Cvs pulled in the top ranked class and the majority left or were giant busts like the #2 rated player in the country.

The idea that cvs wasnt pulling in top players while landing Scaife Copper Laney and 2 highly rated jersey kids is bunk.

Cvs pulled in the top ranked class and the majority left or were giant busts like the #2 rated player in the country.

The idea that cvs wasnt pulling in top players while landing Scaife Copper Laney and 2 highly rated jersey kids is bunk.
never said CVS couldn't recruit, but said she overcame the same problem many men's basketball fans claimed hurt the men's coaches ability to recruit talent.
Vivian did bring talent in and had a winning program just about every year.
The problem was: RU WBB dropped down from being a great program and preseason top 10 picks and turned into one that wasn't one considered a top 25 lock when preseason polls were being made.

“ This isn’t personal, it’s strictly business.” The fact is : it has gone on too long and needs some real answers . The school, alumni donors and the State of NJ which pays her salary doesn’t need to be held hostage regardless of her past record. Very poorly played by Rutgers and it’s hierarchy.

Last edited:
CVS is holding RU hostage over all this. She was a great coach who just doesn't have it anymore. Now she is being paid for sitting on a couch at home. She has made major bank during her time here and I doubt she is in dire need of making more. The latest contract extension was a head scratcher given the decline of the woman's program. She should do the responsible thing here. She needs to retire, free up money for a new/top quality coach, and allow the program to grow. I'm all about respect and she has done wonders for the program. But it has been in a downward spiral and has no clear leader at this point. She is doing a disservice to Rutgers and the women's program now.

Respect your opinion. Don’t think it’s prudent to plan for 4 more years, given the health issues, but I do think legends deserve a farewell tour
How’s: “Bye”?

Imo This has gone on long enough whatever the issues.

Where does the CVS meter stand as of today …and what are the prospects for resolution?

Mo

How’s: “Bye”?

Imo This has gone on long enough whatever the issues.

Where does the CVS meter stand as of today …and what are the prospects for resolution?

Mo

As someone who is only a fan, I’m not privy to know about CVS health issues nor am I in a position to determine whether or not the university can terminate her contract for getting sick.

Oooof....this is a slaughter.
Being a slaughter isn't so great if your team isn't winning the game and this situation can hardly be called a game
Actually it's a disappointment and frustrating to the RU WBB fans .
No one should think what's going on is a good situation and should feel it needs to be settled one way or another before the latest extension time limit expires..

Nothing about this can be considered enjoyable, including the talk about the need to replace CVS and the number of comments that give that opinion, in which I'm one.
It's a sad thing when a HOF coach starts losing support of her programs fanbase and not an enjoyable view, even if it's necessary for the good of the program

Last edited:
What does the current survey say about how fans and alumni truly feel about this issue with CVS and her failure to either return or leave gracefully. It will not be pretty should she decide to coach this coming year. Not looking very promising.

What does the current survey say about how fans and alumni truly feel about this issue with CVS and her failure to either return or leave gracefully. It will not be pretty should she decide to coach this coming year. Not looking very promising.
Can't say what others think, but I'm not looking forward toCVS coming back because of my conserns that se might not be healthy enoought to handle all that goes into making RU WBB a good program that looks like it will be an NCAA Tourney team that can do some damage at the dance.

Right now nobody has verified CVS is physically unable to coach. Originally it was suspected the LOA was due to concerns for her adult daughter who indeed has medical issues. I believe most were very understanding but the lack of credible information released publicly has lent to a very negative feelings about this subject. There is more to this story and hopefully by May 1 we learn the why’s and who the coach will be in 2022-2023.

Right now nobody has verified CVS is physically unable to coach. Originally it was suspected the LOA was due to concerns for her adult daughter who indeed has medical issues. I believe most were very understanding but the lack of credible information released publicly has lent to a very negative feelings about this subject. There is more to this story and hopefully by May 1 we learn the why’s and who the coach will be in 2022-2023.
agree and it seems what originally was thought to be the reason is now being denied as the reason , without revealing the reason.
So your "lack of credible information released publicly"rings true , even if the reason Stringer took her LOA was never officially announced by her or Rutgers.

Being a slaughter isn't so great if your team isn't winning the game and this situation can hardly be called a game
Actually it's a disappointment and frustrating to the RU WBB fans .
No one should think what's going on is a good situation and should feel it needs to be settled one way or another before the latest extension time limit expires..

Nothing about this can be considered enjoyable, including the talk about the need to replace CVS and the number of comments that give that opinion, in which I'm one.
It's a sad thing when a HOF coach starts losing support of her programs fanbase and not an enjoyable view, even if it's necessary for the good of the program
I was taking about the vote. I agree this is NOT enjoyable. Hasn't been for a while, in the opinion of most, but good to see you seem to agree it's time for a change.

Reactions: MADHAT1
What I want to know is simply this. Who are the 10 people wanting her back after this fiasco?

What I want to know is simply this. Who are the 10 people wanting her back after this fiasco?
that's what I asked lol. On other votes you can hover over them selection and see the posters. The poster creating this one must have turned off the feature.
I bet I could come up with half the names. And that's ok, They're certainly entitled to their vote/opinions.

Given that she’s a spokesperson for TIAA and the B1G used them as a sponsor during the B1G tourney, either she’s back or is somehow able to retire on her terms.

The TIAA mantra for this campaign is “retire inequality” so I’d argue there’s literally no chance this doesn’t end the way SHE wants it to. Otherwise the optics would look bad.

I’d say one season of “farewelling”, disastrous results on the court, average to bad recruiting and no tourney.

Anything to avoid ugly press on nj.com, the local media and race-baiting pundits on the usual national media outlets.

cha-ching!

Hope I am 100% wrong and we get the new coach the current young ladies and program deserves.

Given that she’s a spokesperson for TIAA and the B1G used them as a sponsor during the B1G tourney, either she’s back or is somehow able to retire on her terms.

The TIAA mantra for this campaign is “retire inequality” so I’d argue there’s literally no chance this doesn’t end the way SHE wants it to. Otherwise the optics would look bad.

I’d say one season of “farewelling”, disastrous results on the court, average to bad recruiting and no tourney.

Anything to avoid ugly press on nj.com, the local media and race-baiting pundits on the usual national media outlets.

cha-ching!

Hope I am 100% wrong and we get the new coach the current young ladies and program deserves.
As soon as I saw the TIAA tweet I knew her team of advisors was going to make this as difficult and awkward as possible. It's not about legacy. It's about getting paid!

that's what I asked lol. On other votes you can hover over them selection and see the posters. The poster creating this one must have turned off the feature.
I bet I could come up with half the names. And that's ok, They're certainly entitled to their vote/opinions.
I see another 3 voted within the past several hours for Stringers return. Now that is actually funny.

I can’t believe her LOA is due to Covid worries for her daughter. If that were the case in April 2021 when the pandemic started to decline as compared to early 2020 when it was full blown, she would have opted out in 2020 when she coached full time. My feeling it is about her mental or physical health.

I can’t believe her LOA is due to Covid worries for her daughter. If that were the case in April 2021 when the pandemic started to decline as compared to early 2020 when it was full blown, she would have opted out in 2020 when she coached full time. My feeling it is about her mental or physical health.
I believe that excuse was disowned and never officially claimed,the covid 19 worries just were what the press claimed to have heard from a source.
Actually I don't think it ever was officially announced the reason for LOA, just that she was on a LOA was official announced months after she went on it when Eatman was officially announced as the interim HC while CVS was on a LOA.

I belive you're right thinking it's Stringer's health that is why the LOA was taken and extended 3 times.
That's my opinion as well and feel she is holding out for as long as she can in the hope her health will improve enough to return as HC.
My feelings are even if her health improves enough so she can return, the fatague problem in 2019 and this make me feel that her health won't last the full; term of her contract and we might be facing the same situation very soon after (if) Stringer comes back for the 2022-23 season.
It's time for someone else to run the program and Hobbs needs to go outside the current staff to bring in Vivian's replacement.
Maybe let Nadine interview, but not just bump her up to HC .

Last edited:
It is April 7 ! The Final Four is over ! Pat Hobbs, make the announcement.
would be nice, but the matter could be settled after the last extension ends in June.
Don't expect to hear a thing before then , unless Stringer decides to give up the ghost or ,if health reasons were involved , gets cleared to come back.

would be nice, but the matter could be settled after the last extension ends in June.
Don't expect to hear a thing before then , unless Stringer decides to give up the ghost or ,if health reasons were involved , gets cleared to come back.
By then, we will have as many players as LSU.

By then, we will have as many players as LSU.
Per Chantel Jennings of The Athletic, 1,084 women’s basketball players are currently in the transfer portal.
No matter what, RU won't have an empty roster with all the free agents around.
Remind me just who are the RU players in the portal now ?
I believe most of the team ( despite the lack of communication to them and their families about Stringer not being their coach in 2021-22 )and their disappointment over that are willing to play for CVS and are waiting to find out if she'll be returning.
But wouldn't be surprised, if like you're implying, many of the players might not want to wait till the middle of June and could want to check out if other programs are interested in them by entering the portal.
Then decide , should I stay or should I go, by the interest they receive.

Per Chantel Jennings of The Athletic, 1,084 women’s basketball players are currently in the transfer portal.
No matter what, RU won't have an empty roster with all the free agents around.
Remind me just who are the RU players in the portal now ?
I believe most of the team ( despite the lack of communication to them and their families about Stringer not being their coach in 2021-22 )and their disappointment over that are willing to play for CVS and are waiting to find out if she'll be returning.
But wouldn't be surprised, if like you're implying, many of the players might not want to wait till the middle of June and could want to check out if other programs are interested in them by entering the portal.
Then decide , should I stay or should I go, by the interest they receive.
Great…we had some talented women this season and NO coach. We find ourselves without a leader / HC still one year later. Don’t care how good if there is the same situation come September. It doesn’t look good at this day and time. A change is needed in who is running the WBB program at Rutgers.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Great…we had some talented women this season and NO coach. We find ourselves without a leader / HC still one year later. Don’t care how good if there is the same situation come September. It doesn’t look good at this day and time. A change is needed in who is running the WBB program at Rutgers.
have been agreeing a change is needed and I don't mean from Eatman to Stringer.
I'm just trying to say everything isn't doom and gloom with the program, but the coaching situation does tend to make it look like a doom and gloom situation. because no one knows whose running the show and when that will be known.

Most here understand CVS career whether she coaches On Th Banks again or not is basically over. How much confidence does a recruit have now? Probably not much. One way or the other the times they are a changing for WBB and Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT