ADVERTISEMENT

Take a look at the Philly Inquirer's story

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
The story on the game is written from Temple's point of view, not Rutgers. That's understandable for a Philly newspaper. The problem is that South Jersey is in Philadelphia's media market, and so this is what it hears. To those of you who say, "well, who reads the Inquirer?", this kind of coverage is characteristic of the Philly media, not just the Inquirer. https://www.inquirer.com/college-sp...-rutgers-ej-warner-stan-drayton-20230909.html

Last edited:
The story on the game is written from Temple's point of view, not Rutgers. That's understandable for a Philly newspaper. The problem is that South Jersey is in Philadelphia's media market, and so this is what it hears. To those of you who say, "well, who reads the Inquirer?", this kind of coverage is characteristic of the Philly media, not just the Inquirer. https://www.inquirer.com/college-sp...-rutgers-ej-warner-stan-drayton-20230909.html
Paywalled. Can you give us some snippets?

BTW Temple Head Coach Drayton is a class act, giving credit to Rutgers:

Paywalled. Can you give us some snippets?

BTW Temple Head Coach Drayton is a class act, giving credit to Rutgers:

Here are the opening paragraphs:

"PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Three up, three down.

For the third straight season, Temple has found itself on the losing end against Rutgers. This time, it was a 36-7 loss in which it looked completely overmatched.

"Temple’s offense featured a multitude three-and-outs as well as disappointing turnovers on downs. Owls quarterback E.J. Warner finished the evening 20 of 48 for 230 yards and a touchdown — alongside a costly pair of fourth-quarter interceptions.

"Additionally, Temple was plagued by penalties, including two illegal substitutions on defense and multiple drive-killing penalties on offense."

All the quotes are from Drayton and Warner, and the "what we saw" section focuses exclusively on Temple. You might as well be reading a story about Akron walloping Temple.

What's your complaint here?? Nothing bad about Rutgers in that. It's actually an accurate story how the game went.

I agree... it was a pretty vanilla article, just reporting the facts about the game. Fortunately I found away around paying for it..... actually not worth clicking on it and reading and trying to get in. Nothing controversial to see here. Gives RU a lot of credit

What's your complaint here?? Nothing bad about Rutgers in that. It's actually an accurate story how the game went.
I'm not saying it's inaccurate or derogatory . . . just that it's a story that treats Temple as the hometown team. Again, that's not surprising for a Philly newspaper, but South Jersey is part of that media market, and so this kind of coverage weakens Rutgers' sway in South Jersey.

To put the point differently, this story would have been written much differently for a game, say, between Villanova and Temple.

They have Temple and PSU best writers…not for Rutgers. That’s why.

They do put out some Rutgers articles here and there with a local touch but not often (or as often as they used to).
ummm
A Philadelphia newspaper writing about Temple and PSU who are from Pennsylvania and South New Jersey wants more Jersey Rutgers articles, huh.

I'm not saying it's inaccurate or derogatory . . . just that it's a story that treats Temple as the hometown team. Again, that's not surprising for a Philly newspaper, but South Jersey is part of that media market, and so this kind of coverage weakens Rutgers' sway in South Jersey.

To put the point differently, this story would have been written much differently for a game, say, between Villanova and Temple.
Here's something to consider instead. How would a Temple-PSU game, whether out in Crappy Valley or at the Linc, have been covered by the Inquirer?

The OP does realize that Temple has over 350,000 living alumni, most of whom live in the Philly metro area, it is also one of the area’s largest employers, and has over 30,000 students? The real question is why would a Philly newspaper not cover the game from a Temple perspective?

Weakens Rutgers sway in South Jersey??? Huh. Read it again. It clearly points out Rutgers was and has been the better team. It's nothing but complimentary to Rutgers. Why would a Philadelphia newspaper consider Rutgers a home town school?? Temple is the hometown team!
Besides South Jersey has its own newspaper. The Atlantic City Press.

This is a paper writing about its home team. They are presenting facts and support their home team. This how it works across the whole country. For those of us in Jersey, we're just so confused. We saw that Temple lost and we can't understand why the paper hasn't started a campaign to dismantle the football program and then work on tearing down the whole university as well. We can't understand how a paper can just present the facts. We can't believe that newspaper reporting can be done this way.

This is such an odd take. Temple is in Philadelphia. They are the hometown team!

The OP does realize that Temple has over 350,000 living alumni, most of whom live in the Philly metro area, it is also one of the area’s largest employers, and has over 30,000 students? The real question is why would a Philly newspaper not cover the game from a Temple perspective?
That's not the point. The point is that Rutgers is treated as the opposition team, not as another team in the area. That's why South Jersey is not Rutgers territory.

Here's something to consider instead. How would a Temple-PSU game, whether out in Crappy Valley or at the Linc, have been covered by the Inquirer?
Multiple stories. One by the PSU beat writer and one by the Temple beat writer.

Reactions: tico brown
Here are the opening paragraphs:

"PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Three up, three down.

For the third straight season, Temple has found itself on the losing end against Rutgers. This time, it was a 36-7 loss in which it looked completely overmatched.

"Temple’s offense featured a multitude three-and-outs as well as disappointing turnovers on downs. Owls quarterback E.J. Warner finished the evening 20 of 48 for 230 yards and a touchdown — alongside a costly pair of fourth-quarter interceptions.

"Additionally, Temple was plagued by penalties, including two illegal substitutions on defense and multiple drive-killing penalties on offense."

All the quotes are from Drayton and Warner, and the "what we saw" section focuses exclusively on Temple. You might as well be reading a story about Akron walloping Temple.
It was accurate, and I felt it was indirectly complimentary towards Rutgers, if that makes sense.

Multiple stories. One by the PSU beat writer and one by the Temple beat writer.
Not in my experience. The story would be written from a Temple standpoint -- but not nearly as much as this story.

My only point is that because South Jersey sees media like this, South Jersey is not Rutgers territory. The Philly suburbs do not read the Atlantic City Press.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That's not the point. The point is that Rutgers is treated as the opposition team, not as another team in the area. That's why South Jersey is not Rutgers territory.
Do the NYC papers treat Rutgers as their local college? Rutgers is the opposition! Stop taking mushrooms dude!

• Haha
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Not in my experience. The story would be written from a Temple standpoint -- but not nearly as much as this story.

My only point is that because South Jersey sees media like this, South Jersey is not Rutgers territory. The Philly suburbs do not read the Atlantic City Press.
What?? The Inquirer has Joe Juliano as Penn State beat writer. Marc Narducci covers Temple football.

The Philly suburbs actually do. Along with the Star Ledger and NY Post. All three are everywhere that actually sells newspapers anymore.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Now I have a bit better idea of what you're getting at. But perhaps they really aren't being considered or treated as another team in the area since they actually aren't located within that city's metro area. Of course, I realize that PSU is nowhere close to the Philly metro area either but sometimes just being within the same state and having a broader historical profile like PSU does makes it a bit different -- explained by why they are covered by an Inquirer beat writer). I do agree that media traction in southern NJ could remain limited for RU and thus difficult to break into the Philly media/area consciousness much.

The point of the OP makes no sense at all- Crap- if that is the way it should be- NJ papers should always just write about Notre Dame as our home team.

It is a Phily publication- Temple is located directly in the heart of the city. They ARE the home team.

The point of the OP makes no sense at all- Crap- if that is the way it should be- NJ papers should always just write about Notre Dame as our home team.

It is a Phily publication- Temple is located directly in the heart of the city. They ARE the home team.
Besides the OP is worried about newspaper stories ruining Rutgers image or not promoting it. Physical newspaper business is nearly dead. If your a Rutgers fan like me in Philly the last place I look for RU news is the Inquirer online. The Philly TV media can't spell Rutgers. There are times when the New Brunswick market will get the RU game on ABC and Philly will have Penn State at the same time. Guess who gets better ratings. Just the fact's...

Is the Courier Post still published out of Cherry Hill. If so, what was their coverage of the game, since that is also a South Jersey paper.

Temple is a Pennsylvania Commonwealth school, and you want a paper based in Philly to treat the NJ State University located in Central New Jersey, about 75 minutes away as another team in the area? We also market ourselves as NY's team, do you think the people down here are stupid and don't realize we do that, how do you think the people down here feel about NY based teams?

Reactions: WhiteBus
Temple is a Pennsylvania Commonwealth school, and you want a paper based in Philly to treat the NJ State University located in Central New Jersey, about 75 minutes away as another team in the area? We also market ourselves as NY's team, do you think the people down here are stupid and don't realize we do that, how do you think the people down here feel about NY based teams?
Also, to be fair, Rutgers doesn't really try very hard to be a part of the South Jersey sports (or any other) scene. Being the state university isn't enough. Location, location, location...

Also, to be fair, Rutgers doesn't really try very hard to be a part of the South Jersey sports (or any other) scene. Being the state university isn't enough. Location, location, location...

I totally disagree! Carli Lloyd, Isiah Pacheco quickly come to mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT