ADVERTISEMENT

Take a look at the Philly Inquirer's story

I totally disagree! Carli Lloyd, Isiah Pacheco quickly come to mind.
Sure, some kids from South Jersey go compete for Rutgers, but that's a different topic (and they go to compete for other schools, too). As a South Jersey resident, I don't ever sense that Rutgers is reaching out the community or trying to get involved other than that. I think South Jersey is still an afterthought to Rutgers Piscataway/New Brunswick. So viewed through that lense (which may be out of focus, staying with the metaphor), it seems odd to then complain that the Philadelphia media doesn't identify with Rutgers main-campus.

Such a shift is not naturally going to happen naturally; unlike up there, from what I can see, the Philadelphia suburbs are not jam-packed with Rutgers alumni. It's a chicken and egg situation, I guess, but I don't think it's a fair complaint about coverage of the Temple game.

Maybe my perspective is off because I am not a native, although of course I always knew that Rutgers was the state university...

ETA: I knew very little about Rutgers until my son decided to go there, although I'd lived here for a while already. The school just doesn't have a presence down here, and as RUINAC said above, and I agree, that's something maybe Rutgers could work on...

Last edited:
Anyway, this is hilarious. People complaining about the Philly Media not giving Rutgers its flowers while the Philly media was ripping the hometown team for losing to Rutgers for the third year in a row (“Three up and three down”). And rare in this day and age, the article was actually factual without much opinion.

But it’s a crap article because it said that Temple got its arse whooped by Rutgers instead of Rutgers whooped Temple’s arse.

Sure, some kids from South Jersey go compete for Rutgers, but that's a different topic (and they go to compete for other schools, too). As a South Jersey resident, I don't ever sense that Rutgers is reaching out the community or trying to get involved other than that. I think South Jersey is still an afterthought to Rutgers Piscataway/New Brunswick. So viewed through that lense (which may be out of focus, staying with the metaphor), it seems odd to then complain that the Philadelphia media doesn't identify with Rutgers main-campus.

Such a shift is not naturally going to happen naturally; unlike up there, from what I can see, the Philadelphia suburbs are not jam-packed with Rutgers alumni. It's a chicken and egg situation, I guess, but I don't think it's a fair complaint about coverage of the Temple game.

Maybe my perspective is off because I am not a native, although of course I always knew that Rutgers was the state university...

ETA: I knew very little about Rutgers until my son decided to go there, although I'd lived here for a while already. The school just doesn't have a presence down here, and as RUINAC said above, and I agree, that's something maybe Rutgers could work on...
Rutgers doesn't have a presence in the state. North/Central NJ is loaded with people that weren't even born in this country. However there are less of those types in South Jersey so recruit where you can.

What was wrong with that article? It seemed well written to me. It isn't an editorial or opinion piece. I swear some Rutgers fans want Joseph Goebbels running the media for them.
I'd be ok with that, we need positive press and the change the image/culture

Weakens Rutgers sway in South Jersey??? Huh. Read it again. It clearly points out Rutgers was and has been the better team. It's nothing but complimentary to Rutgers. Why would a Philadelphia newspaper consider Rutgers a home town school?? Temple is the hometown team!
Besides South Jersey has its own newspaper. The Atlantic City Press.

Nobody in Burlington, Camden, Gloucester pays any attention to the AC Press.

The Philly Inquirer also has an entire “South Jersey” section and puts out plenty of South Jersey based content, including SJ high school sports.

The same can be said for the local news outlets (cbs, abc, fox, nbc). These local outlets give Delaware sports updates but not Rutgers.

You should know this.

So if you’re going to cover South Jersey content you would expect some Rutgers coverage but the press and outlets predominantly ignore Rutgers.

It’s a combination of us not being good for a long time and the Philly outlets/press probably assuming that the northern NJ/NYC outlets will provide the sports coverage.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
That's not the point. The point is that Rutgers is treated as the opposition team, not as another team in the area. That's why South Jersey is not Rutgers territory.

That's the way it should be written. The Inquirer is a Pennsylvania newspaper, not a Penn/South Jersey paper. Rutgers is a team from another state and should be treated the same way as if Temple played Virginia or USC. Heck I hate the fact that on nj.com they have stuff about the Eagles.

The Philly Inquirer also has an entire “South Jersey” section and puts out plenty of South Jersey based content, including SJ high school sports.

The same can be said for the local news outlets (cbs, abc, fox, nbc). These local outlets give Delaware sports updates but not Rutgers.

You should know this.

So if you’re going to cover South Jersey content you would expect some Rutgers coverage but the press and outlets predominantly ignore Rutgers.

It’s a combination of us not being good for a long time and the Philly outlets/press probably assuming that the northern NJ/NYC outlets will provide the sports coverage.
How many places actually sells newspapers in South Jersey anymore? Nearly nobody! Op is crying about nothing.
Totally agree about local news outlets. They don't cover Rutgers, nor should they!

Reactions: tico brown
That would be the Courier Post.

You should know this.

Start winning and Philly media will positively cover Rutgers again, unless when they play Penn State.

How many places actually sells newspapers in South Jersey anymore? Nearly nobody! Op is crying about nothing.
Totally agree about local news outlets. They don't cover Rutgers, nor should they!

I said “content”…not newspapers.

I thought you were smart enough to realize what content means. C’mon dude.

Reactions: Local Shill
That's the way it should be written. The Inquirer is a Pennsylvania newspaper, not a Penn/South Jersey paper. Rutgers is a team from another state and should be treated the same way as if Temple played Virginia or USC. Heck I hate the fact that on nj.com they have stuff about the Eagles.

Um no it’s not just for Pennsylvania. It serves the Philly metro area which includes Philly, South Jersey, Delaware and Eastern PA.

The Inquirer has a whole section dedicated to “South Jersey” news and also covers South Jersey highschool sports.

The thread was about the Philadelphia Inquirer story. I guess you missed that!

You responded to my post talking about “newspapers” when my post was about content (online press and tv) and not a physical newspaper.

I guess you missed that!

I know the article states for third STRAIGHT season… but it’s 7 in a row. “Seven Up and Seven Down” has a nicer ring to it.

PS - I have no issue with the article… win and the Philly media will acknowledge

I'm not saying it's inaccurate or derogatory . . . just that it's a story that treats Temple as the hometown team. Again, that's not surprising for a Philly newspaper, but South Jersey is part of that media market, and so this kind of coverage weakens Rutgers' sway in South Jersey.

To put the point differently, this story would have been written much differently for a game, say, between Villanova and Temple.

Rutgers is in the NY media…which doesn’t actually include south Jersey.

you guys are all ridiculous.

Rutgers needs to be marketed across the entire state and with pride. Stop with the excuses, OPs intimation is correct, hard to argue otherwise

Rutgers needs to be marketed across the entire state and with pride. Stop with the excuses, OPs intimation is correct, hard to argue otherwise
Ummmm- the OP was upset that a city in a different state, as a matter of fact, THE CITY Temple resides in, was not about Rutgers and took the Temple home team stance.

It wasn't about NJ/Rutgers

Well you're a clueless one. What are you going to start up your own South Jersey TV stations so there is no Philadelphia influence in South Jersey?? 🤣🤣

They’re saying that Rutgers is a much better team.
Did they though?

I didn’t the Philadelphia article if that’s what you’re saying.

My impression from what @retired711 was saying is that he didn’t get the jist from the article the difference between a B1G school beating an AAC on, by a large margin that was even more than the scoreboard indicated.

As it’s what is supposed to happen. Almost all the time.

But again, I didn’t read the article. Only commenting on what the point was from first few posts by @retired711 in the thread.

Did they though?

My impression from what @retired711 was saying is that he didn’t get the jist from the article the difference between a B1G school beating an AAC on, by a large margin that was even more than the scoreboard indicated.

But again, I didn’t read the article. Only commenting on what the point was from first few posts by @retired711 in the thread.

It was as spot on a summary about both teams play. In the end the better team pulled away for an easy victory. It was very positive take on Rutgers Football.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
Did they though?

I think his point is that since Philadelphia is near part of New Jersey, they should report on Rutgers games from a home-team perspective...

I think his point is that since Philadelphia is near part of New Jersey, they should report on Rutgers games from a home-team perspective...
I took the Akron line to make it seem from the article writer’s perspective either Temple should have won or Rutgers is just a eh opponent, so no big deal.

But again, I didn’t read it and am only interpreting what @retired711 said/thought.

NOT when they have a team in their city...Maybe they can make a section devoted to the other State's team but this was a Temple story in a Temple city...The OP was upset that a story in Temple's local news was about Temple and not Rutgers

As a South Jersey resident, I don't ever sense that Rutgers is reaching out the community or trying to get involved other than that. I think South Jersey is still an afterthought to Rutgers Piscataway/New Brunswick.

I am surprised by that comment. I had a TON of friends at Rutgers from the Cherry Hill area. But that was 25 years ago.

I am surprised by that comment. I had a TON of friends at Rutgers from the Cherry Hill area. But that was 25 years ago.
I got to Rutgers from Camden County in 96. I had never seen an advertisement in South jersey, and I'd seen a total of one football game on TV. There was zero presence in the 90s.

Paywalled. Can you give us some snippets?

BTW Temple Head Coach Drayton is a class act, giving credit to Rutgers:

I do think Temple is onto something with that passing attack. If they find a way to protect Warner and catch those balls more reliably.. I could see a big upset or two next year. Tey are closer than the score indicated, I think.

What was wrong with that article? It seemed well written to me. It isn't an editorial or opinion piece. I swear some Rutgers fans want Joseph Goebbels running the media for them.
The point is that the paper, as well as the Philly TV stations, claim South Jersey as their territory and should give New Jersey's flagship state U some "hometown" coverage as well. Same could be said for NYC media. Now, if that was a Temple beat writer.. that's makes sense.. but if it a general Inquirer sportswriter.. the editors should consider Jersey subscribers.

AS for Rutgers not engaging South Jersey... yeah.. maybe both Football and Basketball should do some preseason camp days down there. Maybe Atlantic City Convention Hall for basketball.. open practice? Football.. I dunno.. Vineland or Camden?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT