ADVERTISEMENT

Tez Walker UNC denied waiver

MOBFreehold

All American
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2014
The NCAA denied Kent State transfer WR Tez Walker (the 6th ranked transfer) immediate eligibility since it is his second transfer....Started at NC Central but transferred after 2020 season was cancelled due to CoVid. This is the first case I have heard of like this.

Nothing burger. If anything, he can spend more time with his mom while not playing for the year which is supposedly his true intent for transferring. People just want consistent decisions in the transfer marker, so hopefully this is the start of that.

Sorry for the player however UNC will always deserve harsh penalties for their two decades of fake jock classes they never were penalized for.
Come on you have to give them credit for a brilliant Legal strategy in defending their actions. Simply put, damn right we give fake classes to our athletes. But we also proudly give them to regular students. So F off and go away. I always thought it had a Zen like quality to it.

Come on you have to give them credit for a brilliant Legal strategy in defending their actions. Simply put, damn right we give fake classes to our athletes. But we also proudly give them to regular students. So F off and go away. I always thought it had a Zen like quality to it.
You think it was brilliant that a highly regarded, secondary, learning institution came up with a loophole to escape penalty after depriving students of the education they were supposed to receive? SMDH.

You think it was brilliant that a highly regarded, secondary, learning institution came up with a loophole to escape penalty after depriving students of the education they were supposed to receive? SMDH.
I never said it was honorable. UNC should have been held accountable and punished for their actions by the NCAA. Any fair minded rational individual would never argue differently. However solely with respect only to their defense it was exceptionally creative, and I stand by that statement. Counsel should use every Legal avenue to exonerate their client. I believe your ire should be directed towards the NCAA who cravenly accepted same without offering even minimum resistance.

I never said you said it was honorable. But to say it was a "brilliant legal strategy" with a "Zen like quality" seems to imply that they did a pretty good job when all the while it was very dishonorable.

Sorry for the player however UNC will always deserve harsh penalties for their two decades of fake jock classes they never were penalized for.
Disagree. Two wrongs dont make a right. This reminds me of misusing the legal system to pursue an enemy on trumped up charges. Always do the right thing the right way within the bounds of the rules and the law. Don't punish a person or an entity because you don't like them, feel they deserve it or they got off easy in another situation. But there are groups of people who feel this type of behavior is perfectly OK when they see a purportedly bad person or entity being punished.

UNC brought in ex-NCAA legal staff to help them slither out of punishment resulting from their 23+ years of fake classes for "student-athletes."

Anyway, NC Governor (Smiling Roy Cupper) publicly commented yesterday that he's durn mad y'all about the NCAA denying this young man a chance to play this year. Roy, of course, is a UNC grad. The Heels aren't used to not getting their way, it seems. This now on top of their recent setback in voting against bringing Cal Berkeley and Stanford into the ACC.

UNC hosts App State tomorrow.

"It’s understandable that UNC is upset about this outcome, but this is a process that was specifically spelled out to the NCAA membership back in January. It was going to take the most extreme of circumstances for a two-time transfer waiver to be granted for immediate eligibility. As of last week, only about 18 percent of waiver requests for two-time transfers in all sports have been approved for this academic year.

Coaches have complained about free agency in college sports, and this is what a tamping down on that looks like. I will add, though, that this is a difficult case because Walker enrolled on Jan. 9 — before the tightening of the rule. But the waiver request was not filed until April, an industry source told The Athletic, which was well after the two-time transfer guidance was updated."

Well, they just noticed the precedent set in the Penn State case.

Basically the NCAA has said that if you are going to commit wrongdoing, go big and do things way beyond the scope of paying athletes or cheating to keep athletes eligible. Do that, and the NCAA just punts to other authorities instead of dealing with the parts they DO have authority over.

It’s ridiculous. It’s like a state medical board finding out a doctor was murdering patients, and not even taking away his medical license because what he did was a police matter.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Well, they just noticed the precedent set in the Penn State case.

Basically the NCAA has said that if you are going to commit wrongdoing, go big and do things way beyond the scope of paying athletes or cheating to keep athletes eligible. Do that, and the NCAA just punts to other authorities instead of dealing with the parts they DO have authority over.

It’s ridiculous. It’s like a state medical board finding out a doctor was murdering patients, and not even taking away his medical license because what he did was a police matter.
#SuccessWithHonor!!!!

Reactions: RUScrew85
UNC gave the NCAA the middle finger on their "class-less" grades for their athletes. Had the balls to say take us to court.

They get what they deserve.. feel bad for teh kid, of course, but isn't that what the programs count on? PSU did that with the child rape sanctions... "but why punish these kids?"...

Sorry kid, don't blame the NCAA.. blame UNC.

Last edited:
UNC gave the NCAA the middle finger on their "class-less" grades for their athletes. Had the balls to say take us to court.

They get what they deserve.. feel bad for teh kid, of course, but isn't that what the thing programs count on? PSU did that with the child rape sanctions... "but why punish these kids?"...

Sorry kid, don't blame the NCAA.. blame UNC.
Guess it depends on which "kids" are being punished.

If it costs a year of eligibility at this point of the season it's a mixed blessing.

WR Tez Walker is now all of sudden approved for his Transfer waiver at UNC to play this weekend against Sara. Where does leave WR Brantley at Rutgers ? Same exact situation. We need him !!!!!

Reactions: robcac26
WR Tez Walker is now all of sudden approved for his Transfer waiver at UNC to play this weekend against Sara. Where does leave WR Brantley at Rutgers ?

SOL. Even if he's immediately approved, he hasn't practiced with the team.

From The Athletic:

NCAA statement: "UNC’s behavior and decision to wage a public relations campaign is inappropriate and outside the bounds of the process UNC’s own staff supported. Had the UNC staff not behaved in this fashion and submitted this information weeks ago, this entire unfortunate episode could have been avoided.”

“Despite the school’s many chances to do so,” is just so petty — and without more clarity on this newfound “information,” it’s difficult to know if the NCAA is being serious here or is just peeved at UNC for publicly calling it out over this entire ordeal. The fact that new NCAA president Charlie Baker personally signed the bottom of the statement leads me to believe it’s the latter. Talk about sour grapes."

Et tu Rutgers?????

Tell me again why the NCAA infrastructure and "college athletics as it used to be" needs to be saved and coddled and preserved?

The sooner NIL and super conferences and athletes as employees upend this entire system the better.

From The Athletic:

NCAA statement: "UNC’s behavior and decision to wage a public relations campaign is inappropriate and outside the bounds of the process UNC’s own staff supported. Had the UNC staff not behaved in this fashion and submitted this information weeks ago, this entire unfortunate episode could have been avoided.”

“Despite the school’s many chances to do so,” is just so petty — and without more clarity on this newfound “information,” it’s difficult to know if the NCAA is being serious here or is just peeved at UNC for publicly calling it out over this entire ordeal. The fact that new NCAA president Charlie Baker personally signed the bottom of the statement leads me to believe it’s the latter. Talk about sour grapes."

Et tu Rutgers?????

Welcome to the University of Non Compliance. Rules and following those rules are for suckers.

Edit: And... Go Heels!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
NC's Attorney General, Josh Stein, threatened a lawsuit, and this seemed to result in the decisive reversal by the NCAA.

“Restricting Mr. Walker from playing at UNC-Chapel Hill this fall raises serious antitrust concerns as an illegal restraint of trade,” he wrote. “In essence, the NCAA has imposed a sweeping, unilateral, one-year non-compete restriction, in violation of both state and federal law.”

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article280257749.html#storylink=cpy

What are the odds of the NJ AG intervening on behalf of Rutgers ?
Stein is running for governor to replace outgoing Roy Cooper. Both are Democrats. BTW, Cooper had also engaged the NCAA on UNC's behalf. So there's that....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT