ADVERTISEMENT

Thank goodness for the B1G

knightinaz

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2012
I wandered over to the UConn message board to see what the reaction was to the rumors of Ollie taking the OKC job although it now appears he claims he is staying.

There is a 25 page thread that was started by a supposed insider who claims he had a "secret" conversation with a member of their administration saying that a B1G invite is coming soon.

I know if we were in the same place we would be grasping for every sliver of light like they are but I'm so happy we are where we are and they are dying where they are

Thank you B1G!

Reactions: NickyNewark51
There are UCONN fans who ACTUALLY still think they could get into the B1G? Wow... thats sad. Just reading that was legitimately pathetic. They are delusional to the fact where theyre babbling about pipe dreams and holding out hope. Like a drifter floating on a raft in the middle of the ocean mistaking every seagull he sees as a rescue ship. To think that could have been us is terrifying. Better them than us, there's no doubt about that. They are right where they belong.

i can't imagine how frustrated they must be - they are stuck in a much crappier conference than RU was ever in. And they look at our struggling programs while most of the Uconn programs just keep on winning.

But their football team blows, their stadium sucks, nobody cares about Uconn football anywhere, their beat down by Oklahoma was a catalyst to doing away with the BCS games, the state produces very little talent - and this is all about football and money - so Uconn is probably right where they belong. Whether RU is where it belongs is a story for another day.

i can't imagine how frustrated they must be - they are stuck in a much crappier conference than RU was ever in. And they look at our struggling programs while most of the Uconn programs just keep on winning.

But their football team blows, their stadium sucks, nobody cares about Uconn football anywhere, their beat down by Oklahoma was a catalyst to doing away with the BCS games, the state produces very little talent - and this is all about football and money - so Uconn is probably right where they belong. Whether RU is where it belongs is a story for another day.
RU is right where it has always belonged. The only thing that is separating us from where we want to be are $$$.

Of all the insanity there, my favorite is someone's thought that UConn would be allowed to be in the Big 12 for football only and then rejoin the Big East for all other sports.

I have a better chance of bedding Olivia Munn!

[QUOTE="I have a better chance of bedding Olivia Munn![/QUOTE]

...so you're saying there's a chance?

UConn needs to qualify for entry into the AAU. If/when that happens, then they could start talking with the B1G. From some accounts, they have applied to be selected for the AAU but I haven't seen anything substantive about any progress on that front. Should that happen, then other things could fall into place since UConn fits the mold of a flagship state university. Realistically, though, I see the B1G waiting till such time as UVa and UNC become available, which presumably could happen once the ACC's GOR expires. I don't know when that is but if FSU and Clemson decide to pull the plug and move to the B12, then the floodgates could open once again. Should that happen, and the B1G bring in UNC and UVa, then UConn would end up in the ACC, albeit a weakened football ACC but a far better place than where they are now.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
UConn needs to qualify for entry into the AAU. If/when that happens, then they could start talking with the B1G. From some accounts, they have applied to be selected for the AAU but I haven't seen anything substantive about any progress on that front. Should that happen, then other things could fall into place since UConn fits the mold of a flagship state university. Realistically, though, I see the B1G waiting till such time as UVa and UNC become available, which presumably could happen once the ACC's GOR expires. I don't know when that is but if FSU and Clemson decide to pull the plug and move to the B12, then the floodgates could open once again. Should that happen, and the B1G bring in UNC and UVa, then UConn would end up in the ACC, albeit a weakened football ACC but a far better place than where they are now.
But what is the ACC without FSU, Clemson, UVA, and UNC?

NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Miami
VTech
BCU
Pitt
Cuse
and then UConn plus one more? o_O Yeesh...

I visited UConn's campus and Gampel Pavillion for the first time for the women's tourney this year. They had lots of banners, conference championships, national championships, All Americans. But, in the end, only one set of banners really mattered.
IMG_9292.JPG

They must have played West Virginia at their Spring Game. That's where rumors start.

Pretty impressive that Ollie is choosing to stay if reports are true the OKC was offering a HC position.

If B1G went to 16 then I believe Uconn would be a lock to join. Unfortunately, I don't see that evolving.
If B1G goes to 16, it won't be including UConn. If it expands to 18, no UConn either. 20? Still no UConn. Maybe if it goes to 24.

The problem for UConn isn't its dedication to their athletic department - they've done an amazing job. The issue with them is that their football stinks, and they are somewhat duplicitous but not quite penetrated in their DMA cable coverage compared to schools are that either already part of the conference (Rutgers), or are more attractive to the B1G as expansion candidates (Boston College). Instead, they are in a tweener location and have crappy football. On top of that, even with their historically amazing basketball programs, no one really cares that much about them unlike similarly basketball-centric schools like Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas who all have national followings - hence why the ACC has continued to pass on them.

If the B1G expands, the target will likely be with a splash - a franchise player, within one of the two vulnerable P5 conferences. Texas, Duke, Oklahoma, Florida State, North Carolina. I can see schools like Kansas, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Boston College and Miami also getting some looks to help destabilize the ACC/Big12, but only accompanying one of the franchise schools.

UConn? They'd be the ACC's choice as a replacement once losing one of those schools, just like we would have been had the B1G not closed the deal.

I wandered over to the UConn message board to see what the reaction was to the rumors of Ollie taking the OKC job although it now appears he claims he is staying.

There is a 25 page thread that was started by a supposed insider who claims he had a "secret" conversation with a member of their administration saying that a B1G invite is coming soon.

I know if we were in the same place we would be grasping for every sliver of light like they are but I'm so happy we are where we are and they are dying where they are

Thank you B1G!
I sympathize with them and hope they catch a break...imagine the ACC took them and we were left holding the bag? Someone either the B1G or ACC will take them in soon.

I believe that Notre Dame would come into the ACC for football to prevent FSU from leaving. The ACC would let them keep their NBC deal. UCONN will never be invited to the BIG.

The B1G is nice.

But not being in a conference with Uconn, BC and Syracuse is even better. It's sooooo wonderful.

Huck the Fuskys forever.

Fascinating...I learned that Rutgers and Maryland were added as a bridge to get to the B1G's real target...Uconn! They're just waiting for another partner to materialize out of thin air! Bwahahaha!

Sadly for Uconn, they are incapable of increasing the B1G's revenue stream. Ever. And for that reason, they're out.

Reactions: rob23629
Doubt we'll see any further expansion for a long time. The conference will be focused on integrating UMd and Rutgers before any other schools would be added. Even then I don't see any teams from the NE joining the B1G. Any further expansion would be south of Maryland like UVA, UNC, GT etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT