ADVERTISEMENT

The Kids

I disagree before today. That loss puts an at large bid not in reach as we lose the opportunity for the big W.

I still think on most nights we are a better team playing Oskar over Gavin. Obviously it doesnt make us better in 2024-25
Ok, you might be coming around……..I’ll take it. More importantly, I think Pike is coming around to playing Gavin. He said in the post game that Gavin had a great week of practice and he said that’s why he played so much and it carried over to today’s game. Not sure if this is coachspeak, but either way, I think today’s game along with his postgame comments indicate Pike has flipped the switch and is moving down a path of playing Gavin more minutes, maybe he’ll even see some starts late in the year. I think Gavin eats a steady diet of minutes rest of the way as Oskar’s minutes get cut, similar to today with Gavin at 18 and Oskar at 6.

Reactions: satnom and FMT
It’s time to take the training wheels off and let Gavin and Davis play thru their mistakes. Also time to let Simpson play thru as well. Maybe they get hot at end of season or in B1G like when it was in NYC. They have more upside and can see for next season what we may need from transfer portal if anything.

Pike has to fit to his players and be uncomfortable
This 110%. Noah, Oskar, and A Williams minutes are pointless when you think ahead to next season at this point of the season. I am not saying they shouldn’t get minutes, just that Gavin, JMike and Simpson should get more minutes. If J Williams becomes available then it should cut even further into Noah, Oskar, and A Williams minutes. Gavin, JMike, Simpson, and J Williams at least have a chance to have an impact next year and they need to be focused on more.

Reactions: bac2therac
Pikiell main objective is to win games.The problem he faces is the roster composition.The team is better on defense and far worse on offense.Its a juggling act trying to get enough points to win games without having scoring threats on the court.

Reactions: satnom
Like the idea of playing Gavin and JMike together more often. Gavin showed some toughness yesterday and maybe it had something to do with playing alongside his tough as nails roommate.

Btw, JMike’s shooting is quietly coming around. Over the last 10 games he’s at 43% from the field and 60% from the FT line. Not earth shattering but a definite improvement over the way his season began. The kid appears to have lots more upside to come.

Gavin looked like he belonged playing against the #2 team in the nation. Period
Good point. That’s what we have to remember here. He’s a freshman who was not at all out of place playing the Number 2 team in the country. He’s going to be shaky at times. But he needs these reps.

Reactions: RAC93 and BillyC80
Good point. That’s what we have to remember here. He’s a freshman who was not at all out of place playing the Number 2 team in the country. He’s going to be shaky at times. But he needs these reps.
Loved it when he gave Loyer a little defensive shove, as if to say I’m here, not gonna just take it without dishing it out too. Hope he brings that attitude from now on.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
He was no worse than Mawot today. We played better when Mawot wasn't in. I think Griffith should have in at the end instead.
Normally I would depend on Mag, at this point in time

You can't figure when he or any player has a bad game

Ok, you might be coming around……..I’ll take it. More importantly, I think Pike is coming around to playing Gavin. He said in the post game that Gavin had a great week of practice and he said that’s why he played so much and it carried over to today’s game. Not sure if this is coachspeak, but either way, I think today’s game along with his postgame comments indicate Pike has flipped the switch and is moving down a path of playing Gavin more minutes, maybe he’ll even see some starts late in the year. I think Gavin eats a steady diet of minutes rest of the way as Oskar’s minutes get cut, similar to today with Gavin at 18 and Oskar at 6.
There is no/little doubt Pike played Gavin because he saw progress in practice. Gavin was 1st off the bench in both halves. Whether it translates in to improvement on the court is yet to be seen, but something changed.

I stand by my belief that most development of most players comes from practice and very little in games.

As far as me....yes the loss against Purdue "officially" flipped me in to 2024-25 mode. We lost the ability to have a huge win and the path to 10-10 or 11-9 seems almost impossible.

I think if Simpson could finish a layup he would have more support here
it is more than that, but that would help. If 1/3 of the time time he passed when going to the hoop and 75% of the time he at least had his head up and aware of others.

Cliff led the nation in dunks and Simpson has many times ignored him in transition.

Reactions: goru7
This 110%. Noah, Oskar, and A Williams minutes are pointless when you think ahead to next season at this point of the season. I am not saying they shouldn’t get minutes, just that Gavin, JMike and Simpson should get more minutes. If J Williams becomes available then it should cut even further into Noah, Oskar, and A Williams minutes. Gavin, JMike, Simpson, and J Williams at least have a chance to have an impact next year and they need to be focused on more.
They are not pointless.

Playing Williams and Oskar (when there are no alternatives) sets a tone for a program that there are certain non negotiable things that need to be done in this program. Unfortunately Oskar has issues with them. Playing players that aren't willing to take charges, dive on the floor or get a rebound sets a very bad message for the program.

In addition, potential transfers are looking at Rutgers AND other schools are recruting against Rutgers. Not playing AWill and Noah isn't far to them PLUS it doesn't help getting transfers next year.

Up to now, A Williams was the one player who looked composed when attempting a layup
If you want to win the most we can this season, he plays a lot
I prefer trying to win now and I think you can still develop the other two in the process

Up to now, A Williams was the one player who looked composed when attempting a layup
I prefer trying to win now and I think you can still develop the other two in the process
Although it is an indictment of what we are I am 100% in agreement with this.

Until Gavin shows more on the defensive end he should not start. I think i am now at the point where he should get 15+ MPG if he is putting proper effort in.

I still think Gavin is hoing to hurt us way more than he helps us most games. Purdue will be the only team we will face who wil try every possession to beat is in the paint. Penn State game we will go back to teams testing Gavin on the perimeter and moving off the ball.
I know it is not the end all, be all but I wish stats would show the players +/-

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
A. Will is the only guard that plays like a PG rather than a scoring two guard.

Simpson and JaMike are both score first mentality guards.

GO RU

They are not pointless.

Playing Williams and Oskar (when there are no alternatives) sets a tone for a program that there are certain non negotiable things that need to be done in this program. Unfortunately Oskar has issues with them. Playing players that aren't willing to take charges, dive on the floor or get a rebound sets a very bad message for the program.

In addition, potential transfers are looking at Rutgers AND other schools are recruting against Rutgers. Not playing AWill and Noah isn't far to them PLUS it doesn't help getting transfers next year.
Fair?!?!? Life isn’t fair……no one said AWilliams and Noah should not get minutes, just that those two should get light minutes while Gavin, JMike get a bump up in their minutes. That’s all, don’t twist it up and say Noah, Oskar, and AWill play zero minutes. Simpson continues to get the minutes he’s been getting, JMike gets a bump and Gavin gets Oskar’s minutes. Noah, AWill, and Oskar all get minutes, just not a lot. I am good with 25 for Simpson, 25 for JMike, 20ish for Gavin (I know, I know, the defense is going to cost us, cost us from winning, really?!?!?!)Noah and A Williams get about 15 each plus or minus, and Oskar gets a little, like 5, or even just break glass in case of emergency minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT