ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-MINNESOTA PREDICTION THREAD

The question is where is Minnesota's head at? They played Purdue pretty tough before they wore out at the end - Edey will do that to you. Are they demoralized or do they come out fired up because this is basically a must-win for them? Every game has been a must-win for us. Picking us just because...67-64.

Reactions: Scangg
Minnesota is playing pretty well right now, and with Mag questionable or limited, I have a hard time seeing a win here.

Garcia is a matchup nightmare at 6-10 and can score at all three levels. He starts next to their center Pharrel Payne, so if Mag is out, I don’t know if Hyatt can stay with Garcia. Plus they have some knockdown shooters who have been shooting the lights out recently.

Minny 66
Rutgers 62

But who knows, maybe the ghosts of Toto and Africa will cause a reverse hex on the Gophers…

Idk, hopefully we're not too banged up. Hope Mag is ok... I think we win with him, not sure about without.

Reactions: Scangg
remember Minnesota also blew a 20 point lead at Iowa. Two games in a row where they were up double digits only to crumble. RU's strength is slow starts but getting better as the game wears on. Can RU generate enough offense to not dig a hole early. Minnesota is a very good offensive team but they have not faced a defense like RU

Minnesota's last 4

L - 76-84 @Purdue
L - 85-90 @Iowa
W - 59-56 v MSU
W - 75-66 v NW

No real big wins this year. Losses to MSU and OSU. As well as San Fran. They score a lot and let up a lot. If we win, we win with a score in the low 60s. They score 65+ and we lose given our offensive disabilities.

They've only scored sub 65 points this year 4 times and are 1-3.

I don't think anyone should be making predictions until we hear about Mag. He is essential to matchup on Garcia

I feel the same way. We have a 50-50 chance if he plays. If he doesn't, it drops to 30-70. I get that we're hot and things are good right now, but Minnesota needs this game too and if you look at their schedule, they've been solid. Ironic that Jamison Battle transferred to Ohio State. They'd probably be in the top 4 in the league this year. The grass isn't always greener.

This Mag injury is weird. Per Pikiell, he had great practices on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then all of a sudden he's got an issue. If you look at his full Rutgers history, there's no question he's been injury-prone. So that's the risk we take by counting on him this year and next.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I feel the same way. We have a 50-50 chance if he plays. If he doesn't, it drops to 30-70. I get that we're hot and things are good right now, but Minnesota needs this game too and if you look at their schedule, they've been solid. Ironic that Jamison Battle transferred to Ohio State. They'd probably be in the top 4 in the league this year. The grass isn't always greener.

This Mag injury is weird. Per Pikiell, he had great practices on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then all of a sudden he's got an issue. If you look at his full Rutgers history, there's no question he's been injury-prone. So that's the risk we take by counting on him this year and next.
I reallyyyy like our chances if Mag plays. I think we matchup perfectly defensively. Absolutely love it

Mag shuts down Garcia. Can't ask for a better matchup than to have their best offensive player face our best defender

JWill shuts down skinny talented freshman Christie

Itty bitty tiny lil Hawkins gets swallowed by JMike and Simpson

Cliff and 290lbs Ogbole on Payne

What's not to like?

Reactions: fatsam98
They're going to blitz us in the 1st half so keep it to within 5 to 7 pts. by half and don't panic. The game is then ours. Minnesota folds in the 2nd like a cheap suit, I'm not sure if they just get tired or their collective butt starts to pucker.

Ironic that Jamison Battle transferred to Ohio State. They'd probably be in the top 4 in the league this year. The grass isn't always greener.
And top recruit Dennis Evans. Asked out of his LOI to sign with Louisville, got hurt and is out of basketball currently.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Minnesota is the 11th best B1G team on offensive efficiency in the kenpom rankings. Let's not make them out to be an unstoppable offensive unit. Garcia is certainly a stud but we can limit the rest of their guys.
I'd also expect Garcia to have a sub average performance against Mag

Without Mag:

Minnesota 70
Rutgers 54

But I hope not. They need this game as much as we do.

Teams like Northwestern and Minnesota are very tough opponents when they play at home and mediocre on the road.Rutgers is a far better team with J Williams but the offense is still mediocre with long scoring droughts.Both teams need this game for NCAA consideration.The home court is the deciding factor.

Minnesota 70 Rutgers 63

Rutgers 67-
Minnesota 62

Against a team that doesn’t turn the ball over, with perhaps the best guard in the conference and with an outstanding coach, we forced 15 turnovers, and without Mag. The score above is without Mag.

I hope Hyatt has the game of his life (to make up for his mental mistake last year) and Rutgers wins.

History tells us Rutgers loses 75-60

I want to be surprised. I’m guessing 66-65 Rutgers with a game-winning shot from hyatt

Reactions: Pdabs
I hope Hyatt has the game of his life (to make up for his mental mistake last year) and Rutgers wins.

History tells us Rutgers loses 75-60

I want to be surprised. I’m guessing 66-65 Rutgers with a game-winning shot from hyatt
My heart couldn't take this level of excitement. And I'm healthy!

Minnesota is a good, balanced team that goes 9 deep and is playing at home. On a neutral court this would be a pickem if Mag plays.

For RU to win, Cliff has to defend the rim without fouling, and our guards will have to crash the boards.

They will likely take and make more threes than we do, but we can win the turnover battle, the OReb battle, and fast break/points off turnovers.

RU is on a roll and our defense as usual will keep us in it until our offense can make just enough shots.

RU wins, 64-60

Rutgers 64
Minnesota 63

I hate that stupid barn. It hasn’t been kind to us but I said I wouldn’t pick against us until we lose again. Minnesota is 21-3 ATS, so I don’t love that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT