ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-PURDUE PREDICTION THREAD

I’ll say the same thing I said for the Wisconsin game, because it seemed to work. Expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

I’ll start with the premise that, as a team, we are now as good as Purdue. Second, it’s a good matchup for us. Third, we already beat them this year without Geo, and before we got better as a team. So, on a neutral court with both teams at full strength, I see this as a pickem.

Road game without Ron, we lose 64-57. With Ron playing at 80% we keep it close but fall short, 67-64. Only chance for an upset is Ron at 90% and Geo shoots lights out while Paul and Cliff and Caleb do their thing. Could be OT.

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
Think of the Purdue fan chant!
PPPPPPPPPPPP
UUUUUUUUUU
That’s how I hope they play. Need Cliff to avoid Edey’s elbows.

Reactions: RUDutch
They’re scary with their ability to substitute their two centers with no drop off in offensive production…they have 10 fouls to give at that position…they’re good.
Gotta have a great shooting game
Yeah.. Purdue's supposed weakness is defense.. so we better score with the ball. What I fear most is quick fouls on Cliff. I hope he fronts Edey and we have some help for him along the baseline where we have more fouls to give.

Last game I predicted a dog fight, this game I predict a good ole fashioned western shootout.

Rutgers 91
Purdue 83

They’re scary with their ability to substitute their two centers with no drop off in offensive production…they have 10 fouls to give at that position…they’re good.
When Kofi comes out you get a break. When Edy comes out, Williams comes in and he's even better. It's brutal to deal with

I’m going Purdue 78 Rutgers 71

that being said, it wouldn’t shock me if the score ends up being 76 Rutgers 75 Purdue

When Kofi comes out you get a break. When Edy comes out, Williams comes in and he's even better. It's brutal to deal with
Cliff, with a 12 foot jumper, left and right hook shots with arc and bank now, and passes from Paul is a handful for them. As is Reiber at the 3, who I would try to match up some against Edey

I’m going Purdue 78 Rutgers 71

that being said, it wouldn’t shock me if the score ends up being 76 Rutgers 75 Purdue
My worry is if they press us early and need up our mojo. We need to be prepared with plays to get us points off a press. Break their will.

Matt Painter is a smart coach. He's thinking that's his ace if he needs it

Cliff, with a 12 foot jumper, left and right hook shots with arc and bank now, and passes from Paul is a handful for them. As is Reiber at the 3, who I would try to match up some against Edey
Rewatch the first game. Dean cannot guard Edy. At allllllll. Edy easily walked Dean under the rim like he was a 6th grader. It was almost comical. It's why we even saw Nathan

If he is in the game with Edy than sure bring him out of the paint and maybe he can hit a 3 or two to offset.

My concerns for game :

- Purdue has had this game circled on their calendar since December when we beat them with the Harper miracle shot

- Mackey is a damn tough place to play and crowd will be loud a la the Rac.

- Purdue will be focused as they have a score to settle and also given that we have beaten them 4 times on a row

- Ivey / Edey

- Don’t know status of Harper and even if he does play, how effective will he be?

- And oh yeah, Purdue is pretty damn good.

That being said, I hope we find a way to keep game close and if any team has the grit / determination and will power to win in crunch time , it’s us!

Reactions: TC4THREE and JoeRU
I'm 0-4 in picking the last four games (I picked us to lose each one!), so a perfect record of futility. Continuing with my reverse jinx, I can't see us beating Purdue at Mackey on a Sunday evening, with or without Ron at full strength. In fact, I think this might be a game where we fall back to earth a bit.

Purdue 79
Rutgers 64

Reactions: Rokodesh
1-28-20 Rutgers 70 Purdue 63, Caleb 16,.3 with 10
3-7-20 Rutgers 71 @Purdue 68(OT), Geo 19, RHJ 15
12-29-20 Rutgers 81 Purdue 76(NoRHJ) Mathis 25, Geo 19
12-9-21 Rutgers 70 Purdue 68(NoGeo) Ron 30, Caleb, Mag 12, Cliff 11, Paul 0

2-20-22 Rutgers ?? @ Purdue ??(No RHJ???)

Rutgers 71 Purdue 67
We will find a way.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeRU
I'm 0-4 in picking the last four games (I picked us to lose each one!), so a perfect record of futility. Continuing with my reverse jinx, I can't see us beating Purdue at Mackey on a Sunday evening, with or without Ron at full strength. In fact, I think this might be a game where we fall back to earth a bit.

Purdue 79
Rutgers 64
The reverse jinx is nullified if you point out your prediction is for the purposes of the reverse jinx! Do not toy with the RJ gods!

Reactions: Rutgers56
Purdue is mediocre on defensive but explosive offensively.Rutgers needs to hold Purdue to around 65 points and find a way of winning on the road probably without Harper.It will be a very difficult challlenge because Purdue wants to atone for the recent lossses to Rutgers.like in recent games Rutgers needs a quick start offensively.

If both teams bring their A game, they win. But our A game beats their B game.

We have brought our A game for 9 halves in a row. Purdue has been up and down a lot in that period.

My advice: don't bet on this game. My prediction: anxiety.

Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT