ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-PURDUE PREDICTION THREAD

All the pressure is on the home team.....they're expecting to win and now with Harper Jr injured, even more pressure is on Purdue to roll.

The only problem is for Purdue, they have to play defense now against a full lineup of capable scorers and they didn't see Geo Baker in the 1st matchup and definitely didn't see this version of Paul and Cliff.

Add in the Caleb defense and RU bench playing better and I don't see any pressure on RU.....the slow starts appear to have been cured.....the lack of focus is now gone away.

The 1st 12 minutes of the game is key.....once you get past that portion of the game, things settle in.

Nothing has changed for Purdue....they have the most dynamic player in the country in Jaden Ivey and have 2 unique bigs with Williams and Edey. Same game plan at the RAC, should be in place....single the post and if Edey and Williams combine for 40 to 45 points between the 2, that's fine.......just shut off the barrage of 3s and stay with Stefanovic, and make Ivey generate his own offense off the dribble and into the defense.

On offense, RU doesn't need to do anything special, even in RHJ doesn't play. There's plenty of option on offense with what we have and Hyatt, Mag, Reiber can pick up the slack.

Purdue has a PG problem and it's still not fixed on either end of the court..... They don't have a PG who can guard Baker and now they don't have a PG who can also dedicate time on Paul.

This will be a game for all 40 minutes, but Purdue struggles in a big way, closing out games. RU keeps rolling here and wins by 4 to 6 points.

RU 75 PU 70.....

Really don’t know what to expect, but I think for this game, it might be even more important for Cliff to stay out of foul trouble than it was for him against Illinois. Kofi is obviously a load to handle but Purdue has Edey and Williams and that worries be for when Cliff is resting.

They’re scary with their ability to substitute their two centers with no drop off in offensive production…they have 10 fouls to give at that position…they’re good.
Gotta have a great shooting game
This is it in my book. Hammer you with it for 40 minutes. This is not Cockburn who gives you a great 5 minutes and 23 50% minutes and 12 minutes of a backup center who has the offensive skills of a hockey puck.

Reactions: RUforester72
My worry is if they press us early and need up our mojo. We need to be prepared with plays to get us points off a press. Break their will.

Matt Painter is a smart coach. He's thinking that's his ace if he needs it
If I am Painter knowing how my team played At home last weekend vs MD and watching us struggle slightly bad pressure I’d put occasional full court pressure in

Looking at the script the past 2 years.....play amazing and look like a top 15 team. Then go in to a tailspin and putting yourself on the wrong side of the bubble and needing wins late to get the bid.....

I see a bad loss on Sunday, irrespective of whether Ron plays. I see another loss at Michigan setting up a death match with Wisconsin next Saturday.

Reactions: Rutgers25
In cleaning up from Christmas I found that we had a collection of 9 dated Danbury Mint Rutgers Ornaments in their original boxes from some years ago. Completely forgotten about. While we decided to keep 4 of them, we would like to send the following to a good home / homes:

2008 - Bell
2011 - Rocking Horse
2013 - Tree
2014 - Santa on a House
2015 - Stocking

If anyone is interested, I only would ask for shipping cost reimbursement, as we are in Arizona. If no one is interested, I will be donating to a local thrift store, but not sure they are likely to sell.

Sorry but that's something a player just can't do and there isn't an official in the NCAA or even HS basketball that would let that slide.

Northwestern 67 RUTGERS 59
Purdue 74, Rutgers 66

21% chance of Rutgers victory
Hope your not going by the same idiot’s that said we had a 29% chance to beat Illinois…

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
All the pressure is on the home team.....they're expecting to win and now with Harper Jr injured, even more pressure is on Purdue to roll.

The only problem is for Purdue, they have to play defense now against a full lineup of capable scorers and they didn't see Geo Baker in the 1st matchup and definitely didn't see this version of Paul and Cliff.

Add in the Caleb defense and RU bench playing better and I don't see any pressure on RU.....the slow starts appear to have been cured.....the lack of focus is now gone away.

The 1st 12 minutes of the game is key.....once you get past that portion of the game, things settle in.

Nothing has changed for Purdue....they have the most dynamic player in the country in Jaden Ivey and have 2 unique bigs with Williams and Edey. Same game plan at the RAC, should be in place....single the post and if Edey and Williams combine for 40 to 45 points between the 2, that's fine.......just shut off the barrage of 3s and stay with Stefanovic, and make Ivey generate his own offense off the dribble and into the defense.

On offense, RU doesn't need to do anything special, even in RHJ doesn't play. There's plenty of option on offense with what we have and Hyatt, Mag, Reiber can pick up the slack.

Purdue has a PG problem and it's still not fixed on either end of the court..... They don't have a PG who can guard Baker and now they don't have a PG who can also dedicate time on Paul.

This will be a game for all 40 minutes, but Purdue struggles in a big way, closing out games. RU keeps rolling here and wins by 4 to 6 points.

RU 75 PU 70.....
I agree. Pressure is on Purdue. They lost the first can't lose the second. They are in first and have to keep ahead. RU playing loose. It can happen.

I agree. Pressure is on Purdue. They lost the first can't lose the second. They are in first and have to keep ahead. RU playing loose. It can happen.
There is no more pressure on Purdue than there has been all season long. Every potential loss is a bad loss.

The way I see it, the roles are kind of reversed from the first matchup. In that meeting, Purdue was ranked #1 for the first time in program history and they played like they spent too much time reading their own press clippings and listening to everyone blowing sunshine up their ass.

Right now, Rutgers is the toast of the college basketball world with their four-game ranked-win streak. They've been hearing everyone telling them how great they are for the last few days. How will they respond?

The reverse jinx is nullified if you point out your prediction is for the purposes of the reverse jinx! Do not toy with the RJ gods!
Wrong, my man. I pointed out the reverse jinx in both of my gloriously incorrect “predictions” for the Wisconsin and Illinois games.

S’all good man.

Reactions: Scangg
There is no more pressure on Purdue than there has been all season long. Every potential loss is a bad loss.

The way I see it, the roles are kind of reversed from the first matchup. In that meeting, Purdue was ranked #1 for the first time in program history and they played like they spent too much time reading their own press clippings and listening to everyone blowing sunshine up their ass.

Right now, Rutgers is the toast of the college basketball world with their four-game ranked-win streak. They've been hearing everyone telling them how great they are for the last few days. How will they respond?
Same way they responded when guys like you were blowing smoke up their you know what after the first 3 back to back to back victories over ranked teams and smacked Illinois right in the mouth. Expecting Rutgers to press you a ton and see if Hunter and Thompson can make it past half court before a 10 second violation. Should be a great game but you have to defend our entire starting 5 now , including Geo who missed the first victory. Our defense will be tested for sure but so will yours and we play defense better. Might be a classic and overtime might be in the cards.

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
ITeam is playing with swagger and confidence. At Wisconsin showed they can do it on the road and we now know how to close out a game. I Think it’s a real battle and we find a way to pull it out and solidify that we can win on the road. The anticipation and waiting between games is tough, but that is because we now have a chance to win every game as opposed to being very surprised when we win.

RU 75 PU 70.....
Agreed 100% don’t double down low and play our offensive game
On another note I would put 100% money that RHJ is going to be playing!!
Rutgers 70
Purdue 64

Reactions: Scangg
Rutgers sports having another good stretch. Women’s BB, Baseball, Wrestling, Women’sLax, Women’s softball, etc. Let’s cap it off with a win Sunday at Perdue!

Reactions: bigmatt718
If I am Painter knowing how my team played At home last weekend vs MD and watching us struggle slightly bad pressure I’d put occasional full court pressure in
Perhaps Painter noticed how poorly RU handled pressure at the end of the Illinois game.

Last edited:
A few of us talked about capitulation of the fanbase was a sign that we hit the low. We are now at the complete opposite spectrum. There is irrational exuberance right now.

Purdue. 83
Rutgers 57

RU 75 PU 70.....
Would love to see it!

There is definitely irrational exuberance on this board but hopefully it hasn’t affected the team. 26 point loss seems pretty pessimistic.
A win will be very difficult. I have no idea really what to expect. Saying we are going to lose by 26 because the pendulum from the board has gone the complete opposite way isn't really rational.

Many people hate this, don't believe it, dont want to hear it......playing your guts out like we have with starters getting a lot of minutes does have an impact. Getting on a plane and sleeping in a hotel does too.

A win will be very difficult. I have no idea really what to expect. Saying we are going to lose by 26 because the pendulum from the board has gone the complete opposite way isn't really rational.

Many people hate this, don't believe it, dont want to hear it......playing your guts out like we have with starters getting a lot of minutes does have an impact. Getting on a plane and sleeping in a hotel does too.
These kids play 6 games in 2 or 3 days during their AAU days and you think they can't play 40 minutes???? Iowa's plane ride and hotel really took a toll on them today at Ohio State.......

If we get beat it won't be because of playing too many minutes!!

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: goru7
These kids play 6 games in 2 or 3 days during their AAU days and you think they can't play 40 minutes???? Iowa's plane ride and hotel really took a toll on them today at Ohio State.......

If we get beat it won't be because of playing too many minutes!!

Best of Luck,
Groz
do not ever equate AAU play with B1G basketball.

do not equate our play and what Pike demands with other schools. Watched a bit of Oregon and Jacob goes under a screen guarding a player on fire. That isnt happening at RU.

There are ebbs and flows of effort and outcomes all over the place. Fatigue, physical and mental are major factors.

Look at Rutgers seasons over the past 2 2/3 years...one thing sticks out. Hot and cold streaks.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
do not ever equate AAU play with B1G basketball.

do not equate our play and what Pike demands with other schools. Watched a bit of Oregon and Jacob goes under a screen guarding a player on fire. That isnt happening at RU.

There are ebbs and flows of effort and outcomes all over the place. Fatigue, physical and mental are major factors.

Look at Rutgers seasons over the past 2 2/3 years...one thing sticks out. Hot and cold streaks.

boo this man

Who says our hot streak is over. Rewatched the December game. Mag stepped up and scored 12 in Geo’s absence. Paul scored 0, who thinks he will score 0 again? Cliff is a totally better player today, Caleb had a very good game in December and will again. Not saying it will be easy, but I am also not chalking up a loss . “That’s why they play the game!”

Reactions: BillyC80
Winning on the road at Purdue is a tough ask of any team … RU has a shot to win, just hoping RU keeps playing at a high level and doesn’t put up a clunker

Reactions: Kbee3
boo this man

KRL5rY.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and tychicus
He will not do that...unless behind at the very end. Should be a good game. Purdue needs to be good on O so that Rutgers is playing against a set D. Rutgers plays the way that has given Purdue trouble the last couple of years on D. If Purdue handles the perimeter D by Rutgers or the refs blow a quick tight whistle to diminish the D effectiveness (ALL D is better when physical) it helps Purdue. Purdue has had maybe one day in the last 40 to rest and such and it sure showed the last week. They got the day off Thursday and the legs should be a little better. Pikel is a very good coach and you could see it when he came into the league, recruiting size and physicality with an emphasis on D. I think a lot of the game comes down to how well Purdue handles the length and strength of Rutgers on the perimeter...THAT may well be the thing to watch

Purdue Basketball and their fans have had this game circled since RHJs miracle prayer went down at The RAC.

RU gets taken to the woodshed today.
But it shouldn’t derail the good vibes for RU MBB going forward.

Purdue 86
RU 67

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT