ADVERTISEMENT

The top 15 colleges in N.J., according to Forbes

That's a load of bullcrap. We aren't behind NJIT or TCNJ. Stevens, fine...I can rationalize them being ahead of us, but not NJIT or TCNJ. There's a reason Forbes doesn't rate colleges.

Rutgers is the number 50 university in the world. No sign of Stevens or TCNJ ahead of us.

These are vastly different ranking methodologies; CWUR is 75% focused on academics, with 25% focused on high level employment. Over 40% is focused on research output, 10% on faculty academic distinction, and 25% on student academic distinction. It's also not relative to size. Rutgers does more research than the majority of other schools in NJ combined, we obviously will crush the majority of NJ in this ranking.

Forbes' ranking biases it heavily towards schools with degrees that have high starting salaries, a wealthier student base, and more financial aid. It pays 0 attention to research, and only 10% of its study is on student academic distinction. As such, it makes sense that schools that focus heavily on technical roles (NJIT, Stevens) would show up higher than Rutgers where we have a well ranked school for the arts that won't make people a ton of money in their first five years out of college.

SirScarletKnight, in both academics and athletics, always go with the highest ranking.

LOL.

No one except the alums of those schools would consider Stevens or NJIT better, and outside of NJ no one knows what TCNJ is.

What a moronic ranking.

LOL.

No one except the alums of those schools would consider Stevens or NJIT better, and outside of NJ no one knows what TCNJ is.

What a moronic ranking.
Exactly. The tiers of NJ colleges are:

1.) Princeton
2.) RU-NB
3.) RU-Newark, Stevens, NJIT, TCNJ
4.) RU-Camden, Rowan, FDU, Seton Hall
5.) Monmouth, Rider, Kean, Montclair State, St. Peter's, Stockton

Exactly. The tiers of NJ colleges are:

1.) Princeton
2.) RU-NB
3.) RU-Newark, Stevens, NJIT, TCNJ
4.) RU-Camden, Rowan, FDU, Seton Hall
5.) Monmouth, Rider, Kean, Montclair State, St. Peter's, Stockton

I think the other 3 are probably better regarded than RU-N at least at the undergrad level, and probably Rowan better than the 3 in its grouping, but basically, yeah.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I think the other 3 are probably better regarded than RU-N at least at the undergrad level, and probably Rowan better than the 3 in its grouping, but basically, yeah.
Yeah there's definitely a delta from NJIT, Stevens, and TCNJ from RU-Newark at the undergrad level. Rowan is probably just a small step below RU-Newark at the undergrad level and ahead of RU-Camden, SHU, and FDU. The point is, Princeton and RU-NB will ALWAYS be 1-2 in terms of academic prestige for NJ colleges. Whichever school is 3rd on the list is much more debatable (Stevens, NJIT, TCNJ, RU-Newark).

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Yeah there's definitely a delta from NJIT, Stevens, and TCNJ from RU-Newark at the undergrad level. Rowan is probably just a small step below RU-Newark at the undergrad level and ahead of RU-Camden, SHU, and FDU. The point is, Princeton and RU-NB will ALWAYS be 1-2 in terms of academic prestige for NJ colleges. Whichever school is 3rd on the list is much more debatable (Stevens, NJIT, TCNJ, RU-Newark).

That's true, and probably depends what you're studying, eg engineering (NJIT/Stevens) or teaching (TCNJ).

Reactions: bigmatt718
What a joke of an article…
Little schools must of chipped in to buy some attention
There's not a snowball's chance in Hell that we're worse academically than NJIT, Stevens, and TCNJ. No one outside of NJ is going to any of those schools, for example. We don't attract enough OOS talent academically, but I guarantee people out of state know who RU is OOS unlike the other 3 schools above.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
What a joke of an article…
Little schools must of chipped in to buy some attention

There's not a snowball's chance in Hell that we're worse academically than NJIT, Stevens, and TCNJ. No one outside of NJ is going to any of those schools, for example. We don't attract enough OOS talent academically, but I guarantee people out of state know who RU is OOS unlike the other 3 schools above.

Look at my post above; it's simply a question of methodology. Forbes is not focusing on academics, they're focusing on debt and outgoing salary. Smaller schools focusing on engineering and\or with significant financial aid are perfectly suited to do well in the ranking. Has nothing to do with how well the school educates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT