ADVERTISEMENT

Next year only 15 of the 18 teams will play in the B1G Tournament

jeRseyguy1010

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2023
And league is expected to stay at 20 league games.

My guess for the format is this...

Top 5 teams receive a double bye. Teams 6-7 receive a single bye.

First round will be:
Game 1: 8-15
Game 2: 9-14
Game 3: 10-13
Game 4: 12-11

Second round :
Game 5: 6 seed vs game 4 winner (12-11)
Game 6: 7 seed vs game 3 winner (10-13)
Game 7: Game 1 vs Game 2 winner

Third round:
The 3 remaining teams from the second round will be joined by the top 5 teams that had a double bye.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Now that we know only 20 conference games, the team can work on their non conference scheduling. There was a thought that there would be a 22 league game slate. 10 non conference games with our star power next year, sign up for a Feast Week, or Marquee Neutral site games ( Jimmy V)

This is the only way that I think 20 games work

Each team has one protected matchup, geographically, you play twice(2) each year.
Ore/Wash, UCLA/USC, Neb/Iowa, Minn/Wisc, Mich/Mich St,
ILL/NW, IND/Pur, OSU/PSU, and RU/MD

Other 16 teams once(16) with a rotation of 2 teams twice(2) over eight years, rotating home and away in the non playing twice years and even then you will have a bunch of 4H,5R or 5H,4R over 8 years. It does balance after 16 years.

1 team 16 games, other 17 teams 9 games, I'm sure there is a way to balance it slightly more evenly to 9s and 10s

Last edited:

Each team has one protected matchup, geographically, you play twice(2) each year.

Other 16 teams once(16) with a rotation of 2 teams twice(2) over eight year, rotating home and away in the non playing twice years and even then you will have a bunch of 4H,5R or 5H,4R over 8 years. It does balance after 16 years.
What are the chances the Big Ten still has these same 18 teams in 2040?

(I agree with your post though, that seems like how it should work)

Other 16 teams once(16) with a rotation of 2 teams twice(2) over eight years, rotating home and away in the non playing twice years and even then you will have a bunch of 4H,5R or 5H,4R over 8 years. It does balance after 16 years.

1 team 16 games, other 17 teams 9 games, I'm sure there is a way to balance it slightly more evenly to 9s and 10s
i think there will be years where you dont play 2 teams and im okay with it

no issue with eliminating the bottom 3...these will be awful teams, lets have some incentive
I would either (a) eliminate 4 and just keep the existing format or (b) let everyone in the tournament.. and have a lol Tuesday round with the bottom 8 teams.

(b) sounds fun but is probably too extreme

15 is an odd number to pick

Eliminating teams from the tournament just another step toward eliminating teams from the conference. Hope we win something next year because we will not be in the B1G if this is what they want
The Big East didn't have all the teams in the tournament for a while. I don't think it means anything besides 18 teams being a ton for a tournament.

Though they could go to a more standard 16 team bracket (with 15-18 playing into the bottom 2 seeds) that would eliminate some of the intrique of the byes etc.

Reactions: Scangg
Whole thing sucks. Terrible job! Minimally there should be 22 conference games and minimally top 16 teams should get into conference tourney.

Edit : conference league games should be 22 games. 2 normally ooc games already cancelled with termination of ACC Challenge and Gavitt Games.

My guess is that the 15 school threshold is to limit day 1 to 3 games ( 10-15) and 1 session as opposed to 4 games (9-16) and 2 sessions.

I bet ACC and SEC have 16 schools in their tourney and not an oddball number of 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Why not just have a simple format of top 16 teams make the tournament, single elimination? Worst two teams get left out.

First round 16 down to 8, then quarter finals second round down to 4 teams, third round semifinals, fourth round final.

Some game in NYC at the Garden is a MUST for this team next year!
Double header as part of Jimmy V with 4 teams preseason top 25 would be spectacular!
Great idea if you want to see us play great competition in November and December.

Russian Roulette if you want to play in the NCAA tournament.

Almost a given we will be so much better in February than in December.

Reactions: Scangg and RU-ROCS
Great idea if you want to see us play great competition in November and December.

Russian Roulette if you want to play in the NCAA tournament.

Almost a given we will be so much better in February than in December.
body of work, you dont get a pass for underperforming in November each year, part of building a program

I’m also surprised that the tv networks didn’t insist on 22 conference games. The more inventory the better for the networks and especially with more interesting games and at very flexible time slots given conference is national.

Regardless the ACC will have 17 teams next year and the SEC will have 16.

I’m curious how many league games the SEC and ACC will have and how many schools they have in their conference tournaments. I’d guess 16 for each per the latter.

Coaches and schools enjoy the conference tournaments and as a recruiting tool. Now not every school on the Big 10 can make that commitment.

Reactions: RUBlackout
body of work, you dont get a pass for underperforming in November each year, part of building a program
16-15 teams don't get in NCAA tournament no matter how good they are or schedule is.

We may end up being a top 40 team by February next year. I am pretty confident we will struggle in November and December. Give us a good OOC and we could be 5-8 so fast.

i would be surprised if they are doing vegas until the future.....Big 10 has done very well in the midwest and that seems the perfect spot. i dont see the pac 12 schools being favored here.

16-15 teams don't get in NCAA tournament no matter how good they are or schedule is.

We may end up being a top 40 team by February next year. I am pretty confident we will struggle in November and December. Give us a good OOC and we could be 5-8 so fast.
then they dont belong...if you are managing your program where you cannot be ready to play early on then have you truly even arrived

If the conference really wanted to admit the truth, that conference tournaments are meaningless in the modern landscape except for bubble teams, they'd be doing themselves a favor by excluding the top teams (who have nothing to play for) and including the bottom teams (some of whom might strengthen their case for a NCAA invite)...

ETA: of course that would be silly, and what would they call the tournament?

Last edited:
i would be surprised if they are doing vegas until the future.....Big 10 has done very well in the midwest and that seems the perfect spot. i dont see the pac 12 schools being favored here.
Vegas lost the PAC 12 tourney.
B1G had a B1G tourney in DC
B1G had a B1G tourney in NYC
It’s almost February of 2024 and the B1G has yet to schedule its hoops tournament for 2025.
I just wonder if that means Vegas?

If the conference really wanted to admit the truth, that conference tournaments are meaningless in the modern landscape except for bubble teams, they'd be doing themselves a favor by excluding the top teams (who have nothing to play for) and including the bottom teams (some of whom might strengthen their case for a NCAA invite)...

I have always wondered if B1G hurt itself being the last team to finish their tournament.

Who is going to be the 1st conference to figure this out and actually have their conference tournament in mid February

Some things are bigger than the x’s and o’s. Conference tournaments are fun, they’re celebrations of the teams and fans, and marquee events for leagues arguably more than their one-night football championship games. To destroy it to build a fake tournament just to “boost resumes” (stupidest thing ever) would be sad… eventually have to ask, what’s the point of all this?

Reactions: Unionst
Some things are bigger than the x’s and o’s. Conference tournaments are fun, they’re celebrations of the teams and fans, and marquee events for leagues arguably more than their one-night football championship games. To destroy it to build a fake tournament just to “boost resumes” (stupidest thing ever) would be sad… eventually have to ask, what’s the point of all this?
In my opinion, they stopped being marquee events at least twenty years ago.

When I was a kid an ACC tournament ticket was like a bar of gold, even up in Maryland. Nowadays the building is mosty empty; it's just content for TV networks...

Reactions: RUDave_01
I would be surprised if the OOC schedule is not strengthened further next year. You don't bring in a class like this and not schedule more marquee OOC games. Might it backfire? yes but the whole 6 month proposition is no guarantee of anything.

Regarding the conference tournament, I would imagine they don't want to do anything that requires the top half of the league, which represents the likely tournament selections ,to have to play anymore games then they are already playing. As others have stated when you think about it, giventhe expansion of the NCAA tournament, the stakes are much lower in the conference tournament for your top teams. You don't want to over tax them going into the big dance.

Reactions: bac2therac
We will have a top 25ish SOS this year. Assuming a similar strength for the league games next year it doesn’t need to be any harder.

We will have a top 25ish SOS this year. Assuming a similar strength for the league games next year it doesn’t need to be any harder.

Its non conference that matters that will be in the 130-170 range which is solid enough for Rutgers. But remember we played 2 road and 2 neutral ooc so keep that in mind. That really helped our sos. We will almost certainly be playing a marquee game at msg or pru center

Vegas lost the PAC 12 tourney.
B1G had a B1G tourney in DC
B1G had a B1G tourney in NYC
It’s almost February of 2024 and the B1G has yet to schedule its hoops tournament for 2025.
I just wonder if that means Vegas?
Perhaps Winnipeg…what with the curvature of the earth and all. Would be funny if it is Vegas and three teams from the west don’t make it in.

Its non conference that matters that will be in the 130-170 range which is solid enough for Rutgers. But remember we played 2 road and 2 neutral ooc so keep that in mind. That really helped our sos. We will almost certainly be playing a marquee game at msg or pru center
Yeah I mean I also don’t think we expected Princeton to be nearly as good as they are, so it probably ended up being stronger than we intended.

I am a strong believer is a solid but not overly punishing schedule.

I think our OOC schedule was honestly solid in hindsight this year, especially considering Georgetown was a fairly unlucky draw in terms of Gavitt Games. Don't love the opponent necessarily, but the spirit of the Miss. St game was great.

Reactions: fluoxetine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT