ADVERTISEMENT

"There’s a lot of dogs out here that have come from Rutgers.”

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Go Pop.

Have said it before-Iseman is the dean of RU beat writers.

From Rutgers football to the NFL: How ex-Scarlet Knights continue to thrive at next level​

Rutgers and Greg Schiano have developed multiple players who were drafted in the higher rounds, but also many who were selected in the late rounds or who signed with teams as undrafted free agents, only to go on to have productive NFL careers.

“I think it’s real big (for the program),” Schiano said. “No. 1, they’re gifted players, but No. 2, I think what our program gives guys is the mental toughness to go play in that league. That’s what you have to be able to do: You have to answer the bell every, single day in that league against the best in the world. And I don’t mean on Sundays, you’re battling for your positions on Wednesdays and Thursdays and Fridays.”

Go Pop.

Have said it before-Iseman is the dean of RU beat writers.

From Rutgers football to the NFL: How ex-Scarlet Knights continue to thrive at next level​

Rutgers and Greg Schiano have developed multiple players who were drafted in the higher rounds, but also many who were selected in the late rounds or who signed with teams as undrafted free agents, only to go on to have productive NFL careers.

“I think it’s real big (for the program),” Schiano said. “No. 1, they’re gifted players, but No. 2, I think what our program gives guys is the mental toughness to go play in that league. That’s what you have to be able to do: You have to answer the bell every, single day in that league against the best in the world. And I don’t mean on Sundays, you’re battling for your positions on Wednesdays and Thursdays and Fridays.”

Great article. Will be interesting to see how the doomsayers spin this negatively, lol.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Great article. Will be interesting to see how the doomsayers spin this negatively, lol.
We should not expect the press to carry pom poms and be the cheer team, but this is an example of what a positive press can do for the State University football team. Iseman is young, but he is a fine writer. No drama, no look at me and just a solid objective writer that takes some nice angles in his stories. He reminds me a bit of JP Pelzman who wrote for the Gannet papers before getting laid off and passing away.

We have developed a lot of good players. The issue is that we do not have a lot of OL running around the league right now. Once we get our OL the the point of success of many of our skill players that will translate to success at Rutgers.

Once we get our OL the the point of success of many of our skill players that will translate to success at Rutgers.
This season, for the first time since the start of the GSII era, I'm starting to think that's becoming likely to start happening. The OL, while overmatched, wasn't entirely awful against UM. A clear improvement over prior years against Big Ten elites. I've gone from slightly skeptical to slightly optimistic about it.

But we'll see. Tomorrow will be a big test for them.

We have developed a lot of good players. The issue is that we do not have a lot of OL running around the league right now. Once we get our OL the the point of success of many of our skill players that will translate to success at Rutgers.
Yeah we had a bunch 2006-2009 but not many since.

OL and Interior DL have been the main issue since we joined the BIG. GS built up the DL first and we are now deep there with some NFL potential. I’m not a talent scout but after fixing the D he has emphasized the OL and we now have depth. I suspect we have a handful in the program who will come out on the other side.

I am happy for him . I am not sure if people here should be jumping up and down as for rutgers did for him . Let’s be honest, it is a black mark that we completely wasted him and hurt his draft stock due to the crappy talent around him . He should have had a college career like barkley’s, been a high draft pick and got paid big on the first contract. Not get paid peanuts for an NFL player and had to fight for a roster spot.

I am happy for him . I am not sure if people here should be jumping up and down as for rutgers did for him . Let’s be honest, it is a black mark that we completely wasted him and hurt his draft stock due to the crappy talent around him . He should have had a college career like barkley’s, been a high draft pick and got paid big on the first contract. Not get paid peanuts for an NFL player and had to fight for a roster spot.
This take will not be popular but I cannot argue with you. The good news is that changes have been made to program since the time he committed and was here.

We should not expect the press to carry pom poms and be the cheer team, but this is an example of what a positive press can do for the State University football team. Iseman is young, but he is a fine writer. No drama, no look at me and just a solid objective writer that takes some nice angles in his stories. He reminds me a bit of JP Pelzman who wrote for the Gannet papers before getting laid off and passing away.
Yes, but he's generally a reporter or beat writer and not a columnist, so he should be playing things straight up. I find that many here on this board get up in arms when someone like Politi offers his opinion as a columnist. They are two very different roles and the nuance is lost here.

Yeah we had a bunch 2006-2009 but not many since.

OL and Interior DL have been the main issue since we joined the BIG. GS built up the DL first and we are now deep there with some NFL potential. I’m not a talent scout but after fixing the D he has emphasized the OL and we now have depth. I suspect we have a handful in the program who will come out on the other side.
Absolutely agree. In my opinion we are 1 elite LB and 1 more elite safety away from being a truly special defense.

Offense is getting there, and we will see more of that potential this weekend I believe.

No question he could and should have been a higher draft pick with an actual P5 level OL. Just how high is debatable with the aversion to signing RBs in early rounds, and NFL front offices moving more towards RB by committee.

Regardless, hoping Pop gets paid a market level contract he deserves while he still can given his power running style and the typical career length of RBs.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
No question he could and should have been a higher draft pick with an actual P5 level OL. Just how high is debatable with the aversion to signing RBs in early rounds, and NFL front offices moving more towards RB by committee.

Regardless, hoping Pop gets paid a market level contract he deserves while he still can given his power running style and the typical career length of RBs.
He is a wrecking ball, powerful and fearless. Yes, RB's don't generally have a long shelf life. Here's to hoping Pop's does as he's a great ambassador for all things Rutgers.

Reactions: RW90
Yes, but he's generally a reporter or beat writer and not a columnist, so he should be playing things straight up. I find that many here on this board get up in arms when someone like Politi offers his opinion as a columnist. They are two very different roles and the nuance is lost here.
Fair take. Maybe we see less of these "opinion" columnists with Gannett NJ. Carino writes on hoops, but very little on basketball. Everyone once in while Edeslon chimes in, but his writings on Rutgers are rare. Pelzman was a good blend of both styles. He was a very fine writer and columnist.

RIP JP. He was a great guy

Reactions: Knight Shift
We also don't have a lot of qbs in the NFL. Never have....unless you're counting Ray Lucas.

This season, for the first time since the start of the GSII era, I'm starting to think that's becoming likely to start happening. The OL, while overmatched, wasn't entirely awful against UM. A clear improvement over prior years against Big Ten elites. I've gone from slightly skeptical to slightly optimistic about it.

But we'll see. Tomorrow will be a big test for them.

Actually, we proved quite a bit during the Michigan game to non-New Jerseyians non-RU alumni/fans. My buddies, very good friends, who went to Michigan, but then breaking my balls about how bad we’ve been since the 78 – 0 game, came away, very impressed with the jump that the team has made since just last season following that game.

Actually, we proved quite a bit during the Michigan game to non-New Jerseyians non-RU alumni/fans. My buddies, very good friends, who went to Michigan, but then breaking my balls about how bad we’ve been since the 78 – 0 game, came away, very impressed with the jump that the team has made since just last season following that game.
I agree.

Tomorrow will show us if that was a matchup thing versus an overall OL improvement thing. I think it's an overall thing because the OL has been pretty consistent all season. Not great yet, but way better than prior years.

And that's good because it allows GW the time to succeed and improve and allows WRs and TEs time to get separation. Prior to this season, that wasn't happening and that crushed the passing game no matter who the QB was.

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Lucas, McMahon, Teel, Savage all made the league.
I'm not sure what you mean by "made the league".
I watch way too much NFL football and I don't recall ever seeing Teel or McMahon playing in the League. Savage was a Pitt guy.
Listen, no one rooted harder for the guys you mentioned than me. But almost every other D1A school can point to a better record at producing NFL quarterbacks over the years than RU.
Hopefully that's about to change.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
I watch way too much NFL football and I don't recall ever seeing Teel or McMahon playing in the League. Savage was a Pitt guy.
Listen, no one rooted harder for the guys you mentioned than me. But almost every other D1A school can point to a better record at producing NFL quarterbacks over the years than RU.
McMahon was the starting QB for the Detroit Lions for two or three seasons

He did start some games due to injury but to call him a starting QB for two or three seasons is a stretch.
Yes, had a few starts as he did with the Eagles. Nothing to sneeze at in the NFL, but we can’t make it more than it was.

I'm talking about the NFL league. It was a direct response to this post: "We also don't have a lot of qbs in the NFL. Never have....unless you're counting Ray Lucas." Anybody who has ever worn a Rutgers jersey and then made an NFL roster counters the "never have". That's all I was pointing out. It has nothing to do with success and/or longevity in the NFL or how many Rutgers has produced. Lucas, McMahon (5 seasons in the NFL), Savage (he was a Scarlet Knight for 2 years) all started NFL games. Teel was third string QB for the Seahawks for a year. I even think Scott Erney was on the Broncos roster for a few hot minutes. Not a whole lot to shake a stick at but it's not never either.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT