ADVERTISEMENT

Two targeting questions:

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
1) Do we lose Powell for the first half of Indiana?
2) A lot of people explained that bc Wimsatt was the ball carrier at Wisconsin, the hit to the back of the helmet was not targeting. So targeting only counts front-facing and not when a guy is going down and even more defenseless?

The Powell targeting call was a ridiculous call. How else does a defender tackle a running back in that situation?!

1) Do we lose Powell for the first half of Indiana?
2) A lot of people explained that bc Wimsatt was the ball carrier at Wisconsin, the hit to the back of the helmet was not targeting. So targeting only counts front-facing and not when a guy is going down and even more defenseless?
No just this game since it occurred in the 1st half.

On the targeting call, again we're Rutgers. It's a subjective call on RB carries and could be called, but the vast majority of times they let it go. Otherwise, they'd be calling it every couple series. They really had to nitpick here; it was so close to crown vs brow, and the RB dipping into the play? Man, that one is never called.

Last edited:
That could be the worst call I've ever seen especially since it was held up on the review. I understand the rule and it was still insane.

Good news he’s back next game since it happened in first half.

Officiating was a lot better in the second half.

Until the last 2 minutes when the crew was taking a 2 minute break to figure out how to give MSU more time to try to tie the game. Really bad

Second half they stopped trying to give msu the game abd we kicked their ass

Reactions: TRU2RU
Even on the roughing the passer- flip was knocked off his feet and was even trying to twist his body away from the QB- yeah- there was also a questionable PI on that play as well but in no way should that have been called as a late hit/roughing the passer

On the passing play just before the MSU TD in the 3rd quarter, the WR shoved down the Rutgers corner...nothing called. I don't know how that was not offensive PI...pretty horrible officiating. And even the write up on Yahoo Sports about the game title the article "The Worst Targeting Call You'll Ever See" in reference to the Powell call.

On the passing play just before the MSU TD in the 3rd quarter, the WR shoved down the Rutgers corner...nothing called. I don't know how that was not offensive PI...pretty horrible officiating. And even the write up on Yahoo Sports about the game title the article "The Worst Targeting Call You'll Ever See" in reference to the Powell call.

Probably considered uncatchable by both players. Peanuts compared to the targeting.

For those that saw the Powell play on TV, what was said, because they never said anything about it in stadium, just came back from the TV timeout and MSU had the ball with the scoreboard showing the replay.

If you want to go by the letter of the law, give the ball to Mich St. But it was far from flagrant or intentional, the kid shouldn’t be ejected. Gotta use some common sense and change that rule.

For those that saw the Powell play on TV, what was said, because they never said anything about it in stadium, just came back from the TV timeout and MSU had the ball with the scoreboard showing the replay.
Blandino said by rule it was targeting, Millen thought it was a clean tackle because it wasn’t the crown of his helmet. They came back to it later and Blandino did give in a little to say he saw what Millen meant.

Blandino said by rule it was targeting, Millen thought it was a clean tackle because it wasn’t the crown of his helmet. They came back to it later and Blandino did give in a little to say he saw what Millen meant.

Millen said at the end that a 3 inch difference on the helmet angle took it from clearly NOT targeting to borderline.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU

The number of non calls on msu was absurd. The first half was really REALLY REALLY bad

The refs just refused to whistle MSU in the first half and NO ONE can reasonably say it didn’t affect the game. 2 obvious offsides. A very obvious open field hold (drag down). And the one dpi on us was absurd - msu WR turned around and grabbed our corner = dpi?!?

It was sickening

2nd half was much more evenly called but the non OPI on them was pretty questionable

All in all though the second half officiating was light years better than the first

Last edited:
Exactly how it transpired on tv. Millen was adamant it was a clean play and the “rules expert” said he made contact with crown.

The rule needs to be adjusted. Can’t penalize the defensive player when offensive player changes levels. Can’t penalize the defensive player and not have an equal penalty for an offensive player that initiates similar contact with their helmet.

The number of non calls on msu was absurd. The first half was really REALLY REALLY bad

The refs just refused to whistle MSU in the first half and NO ONE can reasonably say it didn’t affect the game. 2 obvious offsides. A very obvious open field hold (grag down). And the one dpi on us was absurd - msu WR turned around and grabbed our corner = dpi?!?

It was sickening

2nd half was much more evenly called but the non OPI on them was pretty questionable

All in all though the second half officiating was light years better than the first
You forgot the no call on thedelay of game that lead to the roughing the passer and phantom pass interference penalties on the same play.

The play clock was at zero for a full 2 count. I know because I rewound it and counted. Hahaahh

Good news he’s back next game since it happened in first half.

Officiating was a lot better in the second half.

Until the last 2 minutes when the crew was taking a 2 minute break to figure out how to give MSU more time to try to tie the game. Really bad
Yeah they missed a play’s worth of the time by resetting to where the clock was before the previous play was run…about 3 seconds at least. Their kicker can hit from 60 yards so not running out the clock and conceding yards every play could have gone sideways.

You forgot the no call on thedelay of game that lead to the roughing the passer and phantom pass interference penalties on the same play.

The play clock was at zero for a full 2 count. I know because I rewound it and counted. Hahaahh
Just came here to say thesame thing. Clock definitely ran out

Reactions: RUScrew85
That was a bad officiating crew. Very confused as to why the Dremel hit was not targeting. Plus how could they miss the grab of Kyle's face mask which was out in the open.
I thought the white hat Referee was fair but his crew either sucked or showed bias.

White Hat should have called that facemask and missed a couple holds back there but it is not like he called stuff on Rutgers either.

But.. really.. the replay booth was against us. The "S" sideline judge was clearly against us. Saw another sideline guy mark a ball a yard short when an old ref in the middle was clearly on top of the play and was in a better position to mark teh ball.. lost a yard to make it 3rd and 2 instead of 3rd and 1.. Monangai erased that "mistake".

So so so many errors in Michigan State's favor. it goes well beyond just being bad. That was malice. And its not like Michgian State was playing at home on their homecoming.. or that they are ranked and getting the "star" treatment.. this was purely a case of Rutgers not deserving justice from Big Ten officials.

It is disgusting.

I fear basketball season where refs really change the game so easily.. and never in R favor.

Easy answer- the Powell hit is never called.,,
The hit on Dremel earlier was much worse.

But a LB hitting a RB running up the middle…wtf
Was hoping folks were talking about this. Dremel catches the ball and turns (and is somewhat defenseless at that point) and is immediately leveled with a shot to the head and no targeting, yet Powell was one on one with a runner who is not a defenseless player and he gets called for targeting? Just nuts! And the phantom PI on us and the roughing the passer, when our guy was knocked into the QB and the MSU offensive PI that wasn't called early in the 3Q, iirc. Just terrible officiating.

I’ve watched a ton of football this year and refs have been calling targeting on a lot of weak stuff. So the non-calls on hits against our guys make no sense, we are the only team I see this happening to and would warrant an explanation from the league if I’m Hobbs or whoever would initiate that sort of conversation.

I thought the white hat Referee was fair but his crew either sucked or showed bias.

White Hat should have called that facemask and missed a couple holds back there but it is not like he called stuff on Rutgers either.

But.. really.. the replay booth was against us. The "S" sideline judge was clearly against us. Saw another sideline guy mark a ball a yard short when an old ref in the middle was clearly on top of the play and was in a better position to mark teh ball.. lost a yard to make it 3rd and 2 instead of 3rd and 1.. Monangai erased that "mistake".

So so so many errors in Michigan State's favor. it goes well beyond just being bad. That was malice. And its not like Michgian State was playing at home on their homecoming.. or that they are ranked and getting the "star" treatment.. this was purely a case of Rutgers not deserving justice from Big Ten officials.

It is disgusting.

I fear basketball season where refs really change the game so easily.. and never in R favor.

Yes - I remember at least two plays where Rutgers was spotted at least a yard short

Even on the roughing the passer- flip was knocked off his feet and was even trying to twist his body away from the QB- yeah- there was also a questionable PI on that play as well but in no way should that have been called as a late hit/roughing the passer
All of which happened after a snap that came well after the play clock read 0.

All of which happened after a snap that came well after the play clock read 0.
I noticed they didnt dare replay the phantom PI on that play as well.
And they did let their WR's get away with murder on a number of passes that there was clear OPI

Powell made a dangerous hit.
A spine has no ability to resist comprression from above
Powell hit with the top of his hat.
That's what happened to Dennis Byrd and EL.
"See what you hit."
Keeping head up is #1 rule in football.
Powell penalty was for him as much as anything

Watching USC - ND game...... USC has 3rd and 1 and ND linebacker comes up the middle to blow up the blow with a helmet jarring the USC RBs head back. At 6:05 mark of 2nd quarter. No call as it should have been in our game.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I'm going to say it. The B1G refs are having a crisis of competence.

Listen to the B1G announcers gushing over the play. If you want to see for sure, use the settings to slow the play down to 0.25X. No targeting.

Listen to the B1G announcers gushing over the play. If you want to see for sure, use the settings to slow the play down to 0.25X. No targeting.

Agreed! This was never the intended use of the rule. The rule was intended for someone intentionally using their helmet to inflict harm in the open field (think crossing routes and blind side blows) You know “targeting” an opponent with your helmet. They wanted to protect defenseless players.

If they want to flag defenders they need to extend the rule to be able to flag runners that use their helmet in the same manner.

It is disgusting.

It’s really getting ridiculous. Hobbs needs to address this because it’s becoming a regular thing with these refs. No better in hoops

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT