ADVERTISEMENT

Two targeting questions:

Agreed! This was never the intended use of the rule. The rule was intended for someone intentionally using their helmet to inflict harm in the open field (think crossing routes and blind side blows) You know “targeting” an opponent with your helmet. They wanted to protect defenseless players.

If they want to flag defenders they need to extend the rule to be able to flag runners that use their helmet in the same manner.

Disagree. It was also intended to stop leading with the crown of the helmet, essentially spearing. Powell was close, but I don't think that qualified. Millen it was 3 inches of helmet from being a clearly legal hit. So borderline at worst.

Reactions: ashokan
Disagree. It was also intended to stop leading with the crown of the helmet, essentially spearing. Powell was close, but I don't think that qualified. Millen it was 3 inches of helmet from being a clearly legal hit. So borderline at worst.
It wasn’t intended for this type of play. It was created for open space plays. This is basically interior line play. This is a bang bang type of play where there is no time to adjust and react to change of pad levels.

I get teaching proper technique. Powell did not lead with the crown of his head. He matches his face mask with the players chest.Powell got a little low with his eyes but the running back was equally at fault for lowering angle and initiating contact with the head.

On the Final Drive, the entire crew laughed at the target call on Rutgers, and J Lehman was coughing a light "bullship". It was a comically bad call against Rutgers.

Dangerous
At moment of impact his head was down and then it slid up.
But the impact is where you get in trouble

fSgUOJn.jpg

It’s really getting ridiculous. Hobbs needs to address this because it’s becoming a regular thing with these refs. No better in hoops
Yeah.. maybe the President of the university or call in some favors with media.. if you have any.. get teh media to compile video and photos and make a big stink. I am not sure coaches or the AD getting directly involved will generate any positive response. In fact, I think it will make things worse... retaliation... calling every ticky-tac thing they see... making the onfield calls whatever is worse for Rutgers.. not that that doesn't describe what already happens.

Powell made a dangerous hit.
A spine has no ability to resist comprression from above
Powell hit with the top of his hat.
That's what happened to Dennis Byrd and EL.
"See what you hit."
Keeping head up is #1 rule in football.
Powell penalty was for him as much as anything
nonsense

How about we stop telling ball carriers to stop leading with their heads?

They lean forward.. especially while going down with the ball to avoid/minimize a hit and get max yards. They put their heads down and their heads are at the front of their lean.. just like defenders who are trying to stop them from gaining yards.

This rule.. that is being stupidly called.. doesn't allow a defender to take on a runner straight-ahead. Fronm and angle they might be able to get their head by a ball carrier to hit them with their shoulder... but there front-to-front encounters.. there is no way to avoid what happened unless the defender stands straight up and take the ball carriers helmet to his own body.. maybe even getting a helmet in his face... which would never be called.

That was a bogus call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT