ADVERTISEMENT

USNWR Changes Formula

ruinac

Senior
Apr 2, 2021
I’ve never paid much attention to their rankings but I know it‘s a popular topic here.

Out goes alumni giving. In goes diversity. Should help RU’s rank.

Should be a hot topic here.

Tweaking is one thing, but this sounds more like a quota system. You may want to eliminate percentage of alumni giving, but a school's endowment is indicative of how much financial aid (not loans) a university can provide. The Ivy/Duke/Stanfords of the world may cost a fortune if you pay full freight, but a truly disadvantaged applicant doesn't have to pay a cent. Ability to provide financial aid is a legitimate consideration. Class rank? A disadvantaged applicant normally comes from a lower quality school, so they SHOULD rank high. Not considering the highest degrees in faculty's field? A university (more so than a college) is dependent on the quality and prestige of their faculty. This might result in a downgrade for Rutgers. Class size? Which offers a better opportunity to learn: a 150 student lecture course with some TAs, or a seminar with 30 students?

Fit is a matter for the individual and really is only tangentially related to what a university's rating should be.

Reactions: BLewis1968
It was and probably still is a bullshit formula. Very heavy weighting toward “reputation”, which kind of explains why Rutgers does better on the international one (people have heard of it).

Malcolm Gladwell had an interesting podcast episode (or maybe two?) on this.

I’ve never paid much attention to their rankings but I know it‘s a popular topic here.

Clown World.

Whatever they did last year helped too.

RU already in top 20 publics and tied w/ UMD for #1 public U in the Northeast. Let's keep pushing up!

Diversity certainly matters a lot more than how much people give, especially for a public school. RU has always been for strivers. That's one of the many things that make it special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT