ADVERTISEMENT

Wawa

Originally posted by Upstream:

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
Why?

- Cheap gas and no charge to use credit (so I get cash back)

- Great sandwiches, pretzels, iced tea. Recently tried their mac and cheese which was also good. Shakes are also very good.

- Always a clean bathroom if you need to stop and no ATM charge

- Reasonable prices on everything

And I never lived south of Monmouth County. Still love Wawa.
So those are all the same reasons to like Quick Chek.

* According to GasBuddy, the gas prices at QC and Wawa near me are the same, and neither charge extra for credit.

* Both offer sandwiches of comparable quality (although I give a slight edge to QC). Both have pretzels of similar quality. Mac and cheese at QC is very good. Shakes at QC and Wawa are exactly identical (both from F'real).

* QC has clean restrooms, and no charge ATMs.

* Prices at QC and Wawa are mostly the same. I believe the cost of the lunches and breakfasts I reviewed earlier this year were the same to the penny.

So again, what's the difference.

The only thing I can guess is that QC is mostly concentrated in Central NJ. People who live south of the QC area only have Wawa, and therefore no QC for comparison. People in the northern part of NJ, where Wawa recently started expanding, only see brand new stores and are comparing the new large Wawa's with gas stations with older, smaller Quick Chek's without gas stations.

Where I live in central NJ, we have a mix of old and new Wawa's and Quick Cheks. So I see the old and new from both chains. There is essentially no difference.
The only thing true in this reply is the bolded.
smile.r191677.gif

E5 -- So the only thing you agreed with from my post is that I'm from Central NJ?

You don't think that QC and Wawa are essentially identical?

E5 -- So the only thing you agreed with from my post is that I'm from Central NJ?

I thik QuickCheck has upped their game. Wawa used to be the clear leader in quality - or at least that was my memory. Old habits die hard.

Originally posted by derleider:

I thik QuickCheck has upped their game. Wawa used to be the clear leader in quality - or at least that was my memory. Old habits die hard.
I never thought so.

I have been going to both Wawa and QC for more than 35 years. 35 years ago, they were virtually indistinguishable from each other. Today, they are both different than they were 35 years ago, but they are still virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Over the past 35 years, I've seen both stores change. It is hard to tell which store changed first and which followed, because neither chain rolls out changes to all their locations all at once. As an example, a QC near me got a F'real milkshake machine and within 6 months, the Wawa near me got the same machine. On the other hand, the Wawa got self-service kiosks at the deli about 6 months before the QC near me. But I don't know which chain was the first to put a milkshake machine or self-service kiosk in any store. And for all I know, both chains are following innovations from regional chains located elsewhere in the country.

I was just adding my $.02 to the "there is no such place as Central NJ" debate. LOL

I really only know WaWa. I am sure I have been in a QuickCheck, I just don't remember.

I have been to Quick Check. Like I said, I live and work in North Jersey now.

I don't agree on the food quality. I also find Wawa to be cleaner, and their gas cheaper (I use gas buddy as well).

I have been to Quick Check. Like I said, I live and work in North Jersey now.

I don't agree on the food quality. I also find Wawa to be cleaner, and their gas cheaper (I use gas buddy as well).

Maybe you're right. Let me check Gas Buddy. I'll look at Wawa and QC gas prices in Middlesex and Somerset counties around New Brunswick.

Nope. You're wrong again. (That makes zero out of 15 million for you, doesn't it.)

$3.01 Quick Chek
$3.04 Wawa
$3.05 Quick Chek and 2 Wawas
$3.07 Wawa
$3.08 Wawa
$3.09 Quick Chek

So, Quick Chek has the cheapest price, and an average of $3.050. Wawa averages slightly more, at 3.058.

I'm from Monmouth County and I love Wawa. I live in Jersey City now and I go to the one in Kearney.
But we are getting off track debating whether the price of gas is a penny cheaper at Quick Chek vs Wawa.

We are still trying to figure out why people have a cult-like obsession for Wawa. You drive from Jersey City to Kearny to go to Wawa. With traffic, that is like a 20 to 30 minute drive. Who the hell drives a half hour to go to a convenience store?

I've been going to QC and Wawa for 35 years. They are virtually indistinguishable to me. If there was a QC and Wawa on opposite corners, I wouldn't cross the street to go to one versus the other.

But you drive 30 minutes to go to Wawa. Are you friggin nuts? Help me understand the obsession.

Let's further clarify. I go to the Quick Cheks in Iselin and Highland Park. I go to the Wawas in Franklin and Avenel. Absolutely no difference. I asked someone I know from South Jersey if there was a difference (grew up with Wawa, has now been to Quick Chek a ton) and I was just missing something, he said no, they're exactly the same.

QC has hot food, it has the sandwich bar, it has baked goods, it has cheap gas, it has the exact same shakes. No difference beyond the prepackaged prepared items.

I work in Morris County.

As of right now on Gas Buddy:

Quick Check in Hanover: $3.15
Wawa in Parsippany: $3.09

I live in Jersey City...so if I take 280 home, the Kearney Wawa is right off the highway. Gas there is $3.09. It is 5.9 miles from house. It would only take 20 minutes or more with traffic- which is possible but not always.

I travel from EWR typically once a month from work. The Wawa right outside the airport on 1/9 has gas for $3.10.

I stay at my parents' the night before some RU games. The Wawa I pass going to their place, in Old Bridge is $3.01, and another I pass from their house to RU is $3.07.

It looks like the closest Quick Check to me is in North Bergen or West New York- which I don't pass much and which would require beating a lot more traffic on Tonnelle Ave or along the river.

It appears that the QuickCheck in Englishtown has gas at $3.01. But that's quite far off the highway.

And they don't list their gas prices on their website like Wawa- which goes to show people are specifically looking for Wawa.

And this QuickCheck is relatively new. There were 3 Wawas growing up that were closer (at least).

As to Wawas by RU, it has probably changed but at that time the closest was in East Brunswick or perhaps Milltown on Ryders Lane by the Appelbees, and I don't believe there was gas.

I don't recall any Quick Checks in NB, or ones that I would typically pass on 18 or Easton heading out of town.

So basically- anywhere I've been in NJ, Wawa has been cheaper, closer, and I generally like the food there better. I don't think Quick Check is bad- but it's not Wawa.

OK. Now we are getting somewhere. Parsing your recent comments, your preference for Wawa is because they are more convenient to you. And that makes sense, the study referenced in the first post of this thread indicates that convenience is the most important attribute of a convenience store (not surprisingly).

Wawa is an older chain than Quick Chek, and they are a much bigger chain. In some parts of the state, Wawas are ubiquitous. So for more New Jerseyans, there will be a Wawa store located more conveniently than a Quick Chek store.

But that still doesn't explain the cult-like obsession.

I miss WaWa so much. It is always one of my stops when I go back to NJ - just because. Can't wait until weekend of Oct 4th!

You can't even get a buttered roll out here. Heck, not even a decent roll. In NJ WaWa (and QuickCheck) they are in huge bins every morning.

I can only speak for myself and people who I know, but I don't think it's cult like. It's, when given the choices, Wawa tends the best the other options, not just in convenience, but cost, quality, and customer friendliness.

I think those are good general rules for any customer base.

Given the choice, I'd stop at WaWa over Quick Check. While neither has a sub that compares to any decent deli, they are ok in a pinch.

I personally think that WaWa has a better breakfast sandwich than Quick Check. They are absolutely terrible for you but sometimes on the way to the range I'll stop at WaWa for a breakfast biscuit sandwich.

The most important thing to me is that WaWa also has a better selection of prepackaged goods that allow me to make a sort of healthy decision on the road, I think they have more fruit and vegetable options. In a pinch on the road I'd rather eat celery\carrots and peanut butter and some jerky from WaWa than apples and caramel from Quick Check.

One final thing that likely has some influence on me here - WaWa is\was a novelty to me. I grew up in Central NJ (Bound Brook) where my options were Krauzers or Quick Check. I now live in Readington\Whitehouse Station where my option is Quick Check (technically there is a WaWa in Readington but it is on 202 in Three Bridges and I'm on the 22\78 side of the township). I think I live less than a mile from the QC HQ. WaWa while very similar, is different than what I've always had access to growing up.

Here is a question, is Hunterdon County in Central NJ? Is it part of some non-existent Western NJ region?

I'd call it central Jersey but in a perfect jersey world I'd divide the state this way: North Jersey (Bergen, passsic, hudson, essex, union), Jersey Hills (sussex, warren, hunterdon),Central Jersey (Middlesex, Monmouth (route 9 enviorns),Somerset, Mercer (the Windsors and Princeton twsps)),South Jersey (Mercer (the rest of), Burlington, Camden, Glouster, Salem, Cumberland),Shore Jersey ( Cape May, Atlantic, Ocean, Monmouth (Parkway to Shore, red bank south)

Originally posted by Korbermeister:
I'd call it central Jersey but in a perfect jersey world I'd divide the state this way: North Jersey (Bergen, passsic, hudson, essex, union), Jersey Hills (sussex, warren, hunterdon),Central Jersey (Middlesex, Monmouth (route 9 enviorns),Somerset, Mercer (the Windsors and Princeton twsps)),South Jersey (Mercer (the rest of), Burlington, Camden, Glouster, Salem, Cumberland),Shore Jersey ( Cape May, Atlantic, Ocean, Monmouth (Parkway to Shore, red bank south)
And away we go...

201 and 973- North Jersey

908 and 732 and Middlesex/Mercer 609- Central

The rest- south

Very simple.

Morris is gonna feel left out of the party....

Originally posted by RUnTeX:

Morris is gonna feel left out of the party....
lol, forgot about them! they're hill country (too much wealth and suburbia to be central and not urban enough to be north
3dgrin.r191677.gif
)

This post was edited on 9/25 1:31 AM by Korbermeister

The rest- south

Very simple.
Very superficial.
the shore area and the area across from Pennsy are as different as Mercer is from Bergen. Full-time residents in Loveladies or Cape May Courthouse would disagree with you, I suspect. Cherry Hill residents might agree that they're the same as Wildwood Crest residents but when all you've got to brag about is Camden and the wilted flower that is Philly, it's not surprising.
Let politicians use area codes to categorize jerseyans; expedience and laziness suits them.

"Wilted flower that is Philly"??? The city has had a remarkable revival in the last twenty years. Just look at how places like Northern Liberties and how they've revived.

South Jersey has plenty of places to be proud of. Consider places like Cherry Hill, Haddonfield and Moorestown. Consider also real estate prices that let buyers get much more for their money than elsewhere in the state.

I've already provided my answer to what's north, central and south. Anyway, as I've indicated before, the debate (like the Wawa/Quick Chek debate) is just not worth the title that people like you and NIRH are putting into it.

Wawa and its not even close

has anyone checked out the coffee prices....I can get a 24 oz coffee at WaWa for $1.70...not sure on the 24 oz price at Quik Chek but I was in there the other day and the 20z cup cost be $2.02...that's a pretty significant price differential, if the average person was going everyday for coffee they would spend a lot more money at the 2nd rate store

I'm basing on my divisions on North/Central/South not on even smaller cultural dichotomies.

Within Central, sure, "the Shore" is a region like the Princeton area is. Of course, Jersey City isn't the same as Sparta, but they're both in North Jersey.

North/Central/South are the most important distinctions in terms of media, sports affiliation, speech variance, and some wider cultural phenomena (Wawa v. Quick Check being an example).

Someone from Cherry Hill is as likely as someone from Cape May to be an Eagles fan, say "hoooome", get their media from Philly, think that Wawa is superior. Someone from Princeton or Brick is less likely- but there is still an OK chance- that those would apply. There is very, very small chance that someone from Jersey City or Sparta would fit in those categories.

I wouldn't say being close to the beach, or urban/rural, or diverse/not, is the differrentiator- you have that in a lot of states.

Approximate divisions of North, Central, and South.

The dividing lines run parallel to the state line at the north end of the state.

The line dividing North Jersey from Central Jersey starts from approximately the southern tip of NYC at Staten Island and runs northwest to the Deleware River near Belvedere.

The line dividing South Jersey from Central Jersey starts from approximately the northern tip of Philadelphia and runs southeast to Barnegat Inlet.

2hfi6ok.png

This post was edited on 9/25 1:44 PM by Upstream

That's an OK map. I'd probably move the border to Union/Middlesex as I don't see Edison being split in half very rationally.

I also *might* move the other line to keep all of Burlington in South- the northern area, Chesterfield, I see the argument both ways. We may have to revisit that in a few years depending on demographics.

The rest- south

Very simple.
Very superficial.
the shore area and the area across from Pennsy are as different as Mercer is from Bergen. Full-time residents in Loveladies or Cape May Courthouse would disagree with you, I suspect. Cherry Hill residents might agree that they're the same as Wildwood Crest residents but when all you've got to brag about is Camden and the wilted flower that is Philly, it's not surprising.
Let politicians use area codes to categorize jerseyans; expedience and laziness suits them.
Philly is far from wilting. Rentals have been off the charts in many areas in and around Center City as many neighborhoods have been/are being gentrified (Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Graduate Hospital).

Fishtown/Kensington are still rough but those areas are changing over and I think eventually Point Breeze which is very rough will start to change over from the overflow from Graduate Hospital.

Not to mention all the established neighborhoods which are booming on any given weekend (Rittenhouse, Olde City/Society Hill, Bella Vista and Queen Village where I live).

My first job was at a Wawa, and I have to say, that place was CLEAN. We had to shred lettuce every 20 minutes for sandwiches and throw it out if it was older than that. Other condiments had somewhat longer shelf-lives but never very long (I seem to remember 1 or 2 hours for tomatoes). I'm possibly the only former fast-food(ish) worker than I know that would recommend the place.

QuickCheck is 7-11 to me, though a cleaner version. I have to admit that I don't think of ordering sandwiches there but that's probably because I only stop in when I'm traveling through N. Jersey. I go to Wawa to pick up hoagies.

Originally posted by jcg878:
My first job was at a Wawa, and I have to say, that place was CLEAN. We had to shred lettuce every 20 minutes for sandwiches and throw it out if it was older than that. Other condiments had somewhat longer shelf-lives but never very long (I seem to remember 1 or 2 hours for tomatoes). I'm possibly the only former fast-food(ish) worker than I know that would recommend the place.

QuickCheck is 7-11 to me, though a cleaner version. I have to admit that I don't think of ordering sandwiches there but that's probably because I only stop in when I'm traveling through N. Jersey. I go to Wawa to pick up hoagies.
+1
Working summers at Wawa helped put me through Rutgers.
I still get hoagies from Wawa with no qualms - I have a high degree of faith in the ingredients.

Approximate divisions of North, Central, and South.

The dividing lines run parallel to the state line at the north end of the state.

The line dividing North Jersey from Central Jersey starts from approximately the southern tip of NYC at Staten Island and runs northwest to the Deleware River near Belvedere.

The line dividing South Jersey from Central Jersey starts from approximately the northern tip of Philadelphia and runs southeast to Barnegat Inlet.

ec

This post was edited on 9/25 1:44 PM by Upstream
An interesting thing about your two lines, is that if you draw a line from the north-westernmost point of the upper line to the south-easternmost point of the lower line, you get the approximate dividing line between what was East and West Jersey during the colonial period.

Nope. Most of Union County is Central Jersey. Elizabeth, Linden, and Rahway are pretty much a progressive gradient as you go from Newark into suburbia, but there's no doubt that the rest of Union (besides Plainfield) has way more in common with Middlesex and Somerset than North Jersey. This is is disputed, but more people than not would say Union is Central than North. 78 is a pretty sensible border for North/Central.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT