ADVERTISEMENT

What is Greg Schiano Worth to Rutgers??

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Given the accelerated progress, bowl eligibility before Year 5, I think Greg Schiano deserves a little less than James Franklin money, and his salary should be
$8M per year.

In two years time, we’re going to be BETTER than OSU, PSU, and Michigan. No one else could have accomplished this.

Next year, the stadium is going to be filled, donations are going to be up, and we will be even better.

In two years time, we’re going to be BETTER than OSU, PSU, and Michigan. No one else could have accomplished this.
It seems strange to talk of a hypothetical future result as if accomplished. ("No one else could have"). Let's wait until we actually reach that goal before we talk about paying Schiano that kind of money. I agree that Schiano has been successful (although few would have said that before the comeback against MSU), but let's not take as given that we will actually become the class of the Big Ten.

Big Ten football coach salary rankings 2023​

• Ryan Day, Ohio State: $10,196,250
  • Mel Tucker, Michigan State: $10,015,350*
  • James Franklin, Penn State: $8,500,000
  • Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $8,194,000
  • Luke Fickell, Wisconsin: $7,625,000
  • Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: $7,000,000
  • Bret Bielema, Illinois: $6,500,000
  • P.J. Fleck, Minnesota: $6,000,000
  • Matt Rhule, Nebraska: $5,500,000
  • Mike Locksley, Maryland: $5,500,000
  • Tom Allen, Indiana: $4,510,000
  • Ryan Walters, Purdue: $4,000,000
  • Greg Schiano, Rutgers: $4,000,000
  • David Braun, Northwestern: unknown*
I think we should pay him anywhere between Franklin and Ferentz. I think he deserves that including what he has shown during 1.0.

I believe that will also help us in the future IF we want to attract other top notch coaches/staff. We need to drive home the narrative that this is a B1G time job.

81c0d2b8bdacdea3b0d0667b3e599710.png

In year 4 of this rebuild Greg Schiano has not beaten one, yes, not even one team with a winning record. Think about that fact before you are so quick to agree with the delusions of the OP. There is no doubt that he is a master marketer of himself, and that over the years he has cultivated a loyal and passionate following, but as for real results on the football field, well, they leave a lot to desire. By the way, how has he done developing QB talent over that span?

In year 4 of this rebuild Greg Schiano has not beaten one, yes, not even one team with a winning record. Think about that fact before you are so quick to agree with the delusions of the OP. There is no doubt that he is a master marketer of himself, and that over the years he has cultivated a loyal and passionate following, but as for real results on the football field, well, they leave a lot to desire. By the way, how has he done developing QB talent over that span?
If they beat Iowa will you stfu?

If they don't will you, or will you continue to move the goal posts?
Even beating losing teams is an achievement given what the last few years have been like. But you're certainly right that we're far from achieving elite status, and that the OP isn't on firm ground in assuming that we will in the next couple of years.

If they don't will you, or will you continue to move the goal posts?
You're the one who said he hasn't beaten a winning team. So if they do will you change your mind? Northwestern and VTech may also have winning records by the end of the season.

Even beating losing teams is an achievement given what the last few years have been like. But you're certainly right that we're far from achieving elite status, and that the OP isn't on firm ground in assuming that we will in the next couple of years.
Schiano has done a good job here at Rutgers, six wins is six wins, but his followers would make you think he has worked a miracle and deserves a raise and extension. You want a real example of a coach that took a beaten and broken program and actually has performed a miracle and truly deserves a raise and extension, just look at Jed Fisch at Arizona. in year 3 of a rebuild of a program that was at the very bottom he has now beaten three, yes, three ranked teams in a row and has a developed what looks to be a game changing young QB. Now that is the definition of a coach that is invaluable to a program.

Schiano has done a good job here at Rutgers, six wins is six wins, but his followers would make you think he has worked a miracle and deserves a raise and extension. You want a real example of a coach that took a beaten and broken program and actually has performed a miracle and truly deserves a raise and extension, just look at Jed Fisch at Arizona. in year 3 of a rebuild of a program that was at the very bottom he has now beaten three, yes, three ranked teams in a row and has a developed what looks to be a game changing young QB. Now that is the definition of a coach that is invaluable to a program.
Another coach being successful rebuilding a program faster doesn't negate that Schiano has clearly also turned the Rutgers program around.

There's always going to be an example of a coach or program out of the 50 or so P5 teams that do things better than us. Its confirmation bias. What about all the coaches who haven't made their teams better?

I'm convinces Al is Schiano's agent--or wife. Nobody else would be so persistent about raises.

Another coach being successful rebuilding a program faster doesn't negate that Schiano has clearly also turned the Rutgers program around.

There's always going to be an example of a coach or program out of the 50 or so P5 teams that do things better than us. Its confirmation bias. What about all the coaches who haven't made their teams better?
@RUforlife can speak for himself, of course, but I don't think he denies that Schiano has turned the program around. What he is saying, I think, is that Schiano has not worked miracles (which it's possible to do, as the Arizona example shows) and so Schiano doesn't deserve the huge pay increase that @rutgersal is proposing.

It seems strange to talk of a hypothetical future result as if accomplished. ("No one else could have"). Let's wait until we actually reach that goal before we talk about paying Schiano that kind of money. I agree that Schiano has been successful (although few would have said that before the comeback against MSU), but let's not take as given that we will actually become the class of the Big Ten.
Fair enough. I will not take it as given that we will be the class of the Big Ten. I just feel like we are on that track, however. And that an increase is warranted based on the progress we've seen till date, such as significantly improved competitiveness against the Big Ten Elite, 6 wins, and a pretty good chance that we end up with at least 1 more win, and perhaps as many as 3 more wins.

• Haha
Reactions: RUDivision
Fair enough. I will not take it as given that we will be the class of the Big Ten. I just feel like we are on that track, however. And that an increase is warranted based on the progress we've seen till date, such as significantly improved competitiveness against the Big Ten Elite, 6 wins, and a pretty good chance that we end up with at least 1 more win, and perhaps as many as 3 more wins.
I would still wait until the end of the year. It is possible (I hope this isn't true) that what is happening is a blip sparked by the comeback against Michigan State. We're all hoping, of course, that it was a true turning point. The improvement in our offensive line is a sign that we really are on our way, though all of us wish the passing game was better. But we'll know more when the season is over.

P.S. I hope you will think about whether it's good for you to make hyperbolic statements (e.g., in two years we will be better than OSU, PSU and Michigan) that you then have to retreat from. You do this a fair amount, and IMHO It detracts from your credibility.

P.S. I hope you will think about whether it's good for you to make hyperbolic statements (e.g., in two years we will be better than OSU, PSU and Michigan) that you then have to retreat from. You do this a fair amount, and IMHO It detracts from your credibility.
"Hyperbole" is Al's middle name. He at times sees too much of the world through Scarlet colored glasses. But I'd rather have that than the posters who are constantly putting the program down.

Reactions: JCin128 and RUMED
"Hyperbole" is Al's middle name. He at times sees too much of the world through Scarlet colored glasses. But I'd rather have that than the posters who are constantly putting the program down.
Agree. I think criticism of the program is valid, but we have some posters who seem to delight in the program not doing well. But I think hyperbole is not a useful way of combating them. It's the difference between saying "Taylor Swift is talented" and saying "There's never been anyone more talented than Taylor Swift." The latter statement is so extreme that it undercuts the speaker's credibility. This, by the way, is a problem for lawyers. Sometimes they get so extreme in their advocacy that they actually defeat their own position.

Reactions: sct1111
Given the accelerated progress, bowl eligibility before Year 5, I think Greg Schiano deserves a little less than James Franklin money, and his salary should be
$8M per year.

Next year, the stadium is going to be filled, donations are going to be up, and we will be even better.
I like your positivity Al not sure $8 million is the number but no doubt he deserves more.

$1 less than Lance Leopold.

I'm happy we are getting back to respectable. I do think others may be able to take us further faster. BUT, that is a very very short list.

Greg will leave the program light years ahead of where he started.

Big Ten football coach salary rankings 2023​

• Ryan Day, Ohio State: $10,196,250
  • Mel Tucker, Michigan State: $10,015,350*
  • James Franklin, Penn State: $8,500,000
  • Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $8,194,000
  • Luke Fickell, Wisconsin: $7,625,000
  • Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: $7,000,000
  • Bret Bielema, Illinois: $6,500,000
  • P.J. Fleck, Minnesota: $6,000,000
  • Matt Rhule, Nebraska: $5,500,000
  • Mike Locksley, Maryland: $5,500,000
  • Tom Allen, Indiana: $4,510,000
  • Ryan Walters, Purdue: $4,000,000
  • Greg Schiano, Rutgers: $4,000,000
  • David Braun, Northwestern: unknown*
I think we should pay him anywhere between Franklin and Ferentz. I think he deserves that including what he has shown during 1.0.

I believe that will also help us in the future IF we want to attract other top notch coaches/staff. We need to drive home the narrative that this is a B1G time job.

One things for sure, he doesn’t deserve to be at the bottom and somewhere closer to middle or upper half. But it will be interesting to see how this plays out. IDK but he may be more interested in paying the people around him to keep the staff going. Conjecture but I could see it.

Based upon what has been accomplished throughout the program and where many now feel we can still achieve more , Schiano deserves to be in the salary range of Bilema and Fickell. There really aren’t many HC’s who other than the Saban type could turn this moribund , left for dead football program completely around in under 5 years. Especially having been impacted by a lack of funding, a 9 year streak of apathy and a pandemic . So around let’s say 7.5 million.

ADs are always itching to dole out contract extensions and salary bumps at the first positive sign. I'm not a fan of this practice and have no idea what possesses them to do it, especially when they see so many crazy buyouts everyone sees on the landscape. On the extreme end, you see stupid moves like MSU/Tucker and A&M/Fisher. Even IU/Allen isn't turning out looking good right now and that's after 2 years of good results. 8-5/5-4 and 6-2/6-1 and would've made a 12 team playoff that year. Now IU would owe him more than 20M if they fire before the end of next year and 8M after that. Do they all think they're some genius who found the next Saban? If a coach wants to go, let him more times than not you haven't lost anything special. See some consistent results before handing out big money or be creative and give big annual bonuses tied to performance of that year. So you're paying for actual performance and not some nebulous future.

I like good deals like UW currently has but I'm sure we'll see it bumped again. DeBoer was hired on a 5yr/16.5M deal so just about 3.3M/yr. His first season, he goes 11-2/7-2. They bump him up to 4.2M/yr after that and this year he's 9-0/6-0 and in the hunt for the PAC championship and playoff spot. That's a great bargain. I like bargains, I don't know why ADs don't. But after results like that you can see how he could be in demand but not all coaches are and many leave and then flop so what did you lose. They did bump the pay of his long time coaching partner/assistant, OC Ryan Grubb to 2M/yr after last year. He turned down the Alabama OC spot, most likely because of the relationship with DeBoer but the money of course helps make the decision easier.

Last edited:
Al never gets a bargain in his personal life. Whenever he thinks he’s getting a deal, he decides to give the seller more money or he’ll feel bad.

Al never gets a bargain in his personal life. Whenever he thinks he’s getting a deal, he decides to give the seller more money or he’ll feel bad.
Our penny wise, pound foolishness mentality has caused the program to be mired in mediocrity throughout our history. Incompetence is expensive.

We’re getting $80M - $100M in media rights alone next year. Season ticket sales are going to be up, Donations will be up. Overall revenue is going to be significantly up across the board. He has earned whatever increase he is going to get.

It is prudent to pay the market rate for outstanding performance for our head coach.

Our penny wise, pound foolishness mentality has caused the program to be mired in mediocrity throughout our history. Incompetence is expensive.

We’re getting $80M - $100M in media rights alone next year. Season ticket sales are going to be up, Donations will be up. Overall revenue is going to be significantly up across the board. He has earned whatever increase he is going to get.

It is prudent to pay the market rate for outstanding performance for our head coach.
Yes, incompetence is expensive just see A&M or MSU. They're not the slightest bit penny wise pound foolish, they're just utterly stupid.

The less you have the more prudent you should be because if you're wrong it cripples you much more.

Be creative, pay large annual bonuses tied tied to performance. Then you're paying for actual results and not unknown ones.

Better than OSU? Can we beat them first. Penn State has lost 7 in a row to OSU.

Reactions: Jimpeg
not going to worry about this.
I’m sure Schiano will get bumped up and extended at some point, and he will be here until he retires.
I don’t really care when he gets a bump, but he surely will.
He probably will be bumped, it's the MO of most ADs.

This is just a discussion among fans on philosophy.

• Haha
Reactions: tomatocan
One things for sure, he doesn’t deserve to be at the bottom and somewhere closer to middle or upper half. But it will be interesting to see how this plays out. IDK but he may be more interested in paying the people around him to keep the staff going. Conjecture but I could see it.
Absolutely. If it was ME (meaning if I was GS), I would be paying my staff double to make sure that I kept all of those I wanted intact for years to come. Make this a MAJOR destination for assistant coaches $$$$ wise first. At the end of the day, that is ONE of the major/primary reasons people work where they work. Sure… There are other important reasons too.

That is what this place needs long term to establish itself and get the machine rolling and then the fire will start feeding itself.

If we have the best coaches and developers we can overcome a lot with hard work and the right recruiting. In this (rebuilding) game, you got to get the coaching first. Then when you get the coaches, you develop the players. Then when you get the players (roster built), then you get the wins. When you get the wins you attract better coaches and players.

We have the coaches… We have 3 of the 5 recruiting classes. Look how much we have started competing already this year?!? This isn’t a fluke…

Agree. I think criticism of the program is valid, but we have some posters who seem to delight in the program not doing well. But I think hyperbole is not a useful way of combating them. It's the difference between saying "Taylor Swift is talented" and saying "There's never been anyone more talented than Taylor Swift." The latter statement is so extreme that it undercuts the speaker's credibility. This, by the way, is a problem for lawyers. Sometimes they get so extreme in their advocacy that they actually defeat their own position.
Those are the Syracuse fans in sheep’s clothing… Their board sucks, so they come here to be annoying.

$1 less than Lance Leopold.

I'm happy we are getting back to respectable. I do think others may be able to take us further faster. BUT, that is a very very short list.

Greg will leave the program light years ahead of where he started.
As one of the people who was advocating for LL to come to Rutgers he is an excellent coach. It will be interesting to see how LL and Greg do with their programs over the next two years. LL is already ranked and just beat Oklahoma a couple of weeks back, Greg is still searching for that Marquee win and to get Rutgers back into the rankings. With that said there is no doubt that HCGS has this program going in the right direction and deserves a significant pay raise. It will probably happen after the season is over.

BTW here is Lance Leipolds salary for those who are interested.
roughly $5 million per year

In all, Leipold's new contract with Kansas will pay him roughly $5 million per year for the next seven years, with incentives in place for that number to grow beyond $35 million. The new deal includes a one-time $750,000 signing bonus to be paid to Leipold in one lump sum by the end of the year.Nov 29, 2022

Wouldn't it be prudent to earmark that money for an indoor practice facility first?

Absolutely. If it was ME (meaning if I was GS), I would be paying my staff double to make sure that I kept all of those I wanted intact for years to come. Make this a MAJOR destination for assistant coaches $$$$ wise first. At the end of the day, that is ONE of the major/primary reasons people work where they work. Sure… There are other important reasons too.

That is what this place needs long term to establish itself and get the machine rolling and then the fire will start feeding itself.

If we have the best coaches and developers we can overcome a lot with hard work and the right recruiting. In this (rebuilding) game, you got to get the coaching first. Then when you get the coaches, you develop the players. Then when you get the players (roster built), then you get the wins. When you get the wins you attract better coaches and players.

We have the coaches… We have 3 of the 5 recruiting classes. Look how much we have started competing already this year?!? This isn’t a fluke…

I do think GS wants to build a lasting program and legacy. Have a statue of him someday outside of a renovated stadium. He’s making 4 million a year, 2.5 after taxes. No a bad life. Squeeze the dollars and you risk it being short lived as assistants jump. Or pay assistants and keep it going longer. Build that legacy. But who knows if that’s realistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT