ADVERTISEMENT

What is Greg Schiano Worth to Rutgers??

From my seat at SHI Stadium, I am usually facing towards the field, although my wife is usually talking to everyone around her, which can get annoying.
Sell the wife. Life is far too short to be annoyed by anything. 🙂

Same as I said in the last thread on the subject, I wouldn't change a thing until we see what happens next season. There's no reason to hurry.

How many years have we been overpaying for terrible teams?
How much have people complained that we are at a disadvantage because we keep overpaying terrible coaches on an already strained budget?

We finally have a bargin it appears and some can't run fast enough to remove that advantage.

How much have people complained that we are at a disadvantage because we keep overpaying terrible coaches on an already strained budget?

We finally have a bargin it appears and some can't run fast enough to remove that advantage.
I am not against paying him more if he comes to the AD at the end of the year and says I have an offer from X school for Y amount of $s, then I think we should seriously consider matching. Absent, a counteroffer, for a coach no one other than Rutgers had interest in when he was hired, to your point, why would we increase his salary? If we don't is he threatening to work less and give a half ass effort, if so, he should be fired, not given a raise.

Reactions: NickRU714
I am not against paying him more if he comes to the AD at the end of the year and says I have an offer from X school for Y amount of $s, then I think we should seriously consider matching. Absent, a counteroffer, for a coach no one other than Rutgers had interest in when he was hired, to your point, why would we increase his salary? If we don't is he threatening to work less and give a half ass effort, if so, he should be fired, not given a raise.
I don't know what you do for a living, but . . . wouldn't you give an employee a pay increase for doing a good job on an important project even if the employee didn't have an offer from elsewhere? Note that one problem in waiting for him to get an offer elsewhere is that the employee might take it, figuring that it's the only way to get what he thinks he's worth.

At the same time, I do think we should wait for the end of the "project" (that is, the season) so that we can fully evaluate the job the "employee" did.

I don't know what you do for a living, but . . . wouldn't you give an employee a pay increase for doing a good job on an important project even if the employee didn't have an offer from elsewhere? Note that one problem in waiting for him to get an offer elsewhere is that the employee might take it, figuring that it's the only way to get what he thinks he's worth.

At the same time, I do think we should wait for the end of the "project" (that is, the season) so that we can fully evaluate the job the "employee" did.

It's different when the employment is under a binding multiyear contract agreed by both parties.
Nobody forced HC Schiano into a 8 year contract at only $4m/year.

If you contracted a company for 8 years to perform a service.
They've done a good job (as would have been expected). Do you rip up the contract 4 years early and double what you are paying?

Reactions: Morrischiano
Schiano is worth what he's making now.
After next year , according to how season goes, he might deserve more than his contract is paying him
Then set up high bonus payments if he reaches certain goals and automatic extension of current contract , based on team record, with salary being negotiated after year 6 is over.

It's different when the employment is under a binding multiyear contract agreed by both parties.

They've done a good job (as would have been expected). Do you rip up the contract 4 years early and double what you are paying?
I might not double it, but I might well "rip up the contract" -- especially if I were in a business where it's routine for my competitors to extend the contracts of the same kind of employee. As you well know, this kind of thing happens a lot with college football coaches. (I'm not saying that's a good thing -- but it is reality and as a businessman I have to take account of reality, whether I like the reality or not.)

He's doing what he was contracted to do. And his contract already includes performance incentives.

As he nears the end of his contract, it makes more sense to extend him and, if he's showing consistency by getting to a bowl again next season, then also bump up his pay. Nobody is saying not to extend him or pay him more, just that it's premature to do so before he demonstrates consistency over a couple seasons. Especially before we know how the rest of this season will play out.

Doesn't matter what we fans think. But I sure hope the AD is patient. What happens if we give GS an extension and a big raise and then he flops next season? Now we're screwed financially just at the time we need to start shopping for a different coach.

Also, RU is also going to have to hire more OCs and OCs and other key staff as our current staff moves around (which they will do). And whomever the coach is is going to want more/better facilities, so money will be required for that too.

So let's just be a little more judicious with the money is all we're saying. Exercise some proper care and restraint.

I agree that Schiano deserves a pay raise. Better than OSU, PSU, and Michigan in two years is just crazy talk. I'm beginning to wonder about Al's sanity.

Right now the market has determined his value is $4M/yr. Though recent events may indicate his value is increasing. If it is then either RU can give him a raise or risk losing him.

Greg has never been shy about entertaining other job offers. I'm sure he'll let the RU athletics department know when the market says he needs more compensation.

Last edited:

Yeah but it's not binding though it is a contract. He can walk whenever he wants.

How is it that rutgersal does not understand how salaries work?

When you want to double your salary, you move somewhere that can PAY IT.

When GS builds Rutgers Football to a point where it can pay a coach $8M.. then maybe he'll make that.

That said.. I love how this thread is triggering the haters. The season has gone too well for them to shout about how Coach should be fired.
Screw the haters. Rutgers can pay it. $80 to 100M in media rights revenue. Increased revenues across the board. Rutgers will have the money. They can pay up.

He's doing what he was contracted to do. And his contract already includes performance incentives.

As he nears the end of his contract, it makes more sense to extend him and, if he's showing consistency by getting to a bowl again next season, then also bump up his pay. Nobody is saying not to extend him or pay him more, just that it's premature to do so before he demonstrates consistency over a couple seasons. Especially before we know how the rest of this season will play out.

Doesn't matter what we fans think. But I sure hope the AD is patient. What happens if we give GS an extension and a big raise and then he flops next season? Now we're screwed financially just at the time we need to start shopping for a different coach.

Also, RU is also going to have to hire more OCs and OCs and other key staff as our current staff moves around (which they will do). And whomever the coach is is going to want more/better facilities, so money will be required for that too.

So let's just be a little more judicious with the money is all we're saying. Exercise some proper care and restraint.
I have no problem with what you're saying. If you look at this thread, you'll see that I've commented that @rutgersal is being premature. I only object to those who somehow think it's unprincipled to give a pay raise during a contract.

Reactions: mildone
Yeah but it's not binding though it is a contract. He can walk whenever he wants.
That's true of all employment contracts. A court won't force an individual to work for a company -- it will only declare that he is not entitled to future compensation under the contract (in lawyer's terms, that he is in material breach) and bar him from working for others during the term of the contract. If Schiano wants to retire and sit on the beach, there's nothing stopping him.

Those are the Syracuse fans in sheep’s clothing… Their board sucks, so they come here to be annoying.
Well, obviously, one of them was so happy that VaTech and NW lost for no other reason then he would still be able to say we have not beaten a winning team.

Let's be real. It's not many or some....its one! It's only AL who has been pushing this since the first victory if I'm not mistaken..

Well, obviously, one of them was so happy that VaTech and NW lost for no other reason then he would still be able to say we have not beaten a winning team.

Response to them: we haven't lost to a team with a losing record

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Reactions: yesrutgers01

How is paying the lowest salary and getting a middle of the conference team overpaying?

That's true of all employment contracts. A court won't force an individual to work for a company -- it will only declare that he is not entitled to future compensation under the contract (in lawyer's terms, that he is in material breach) and bar him from working for others during the term of the contract. If Schiano wants to retire and sit on the beach, there's nothing stopping him.
But the school might take a big PR hit and have other programs point out Greg left because Rutgers wasn't willing to pay what it takes to have a good football program.
The only way Rutgers could counter that would be pay through the nose to get a HC that would make RU FB look like it was willing to invest the money it takes to have a winning program.

Yes Rutgers could wave bye bye to Greg if he threatened to leave , but remember what happened last time he did and how the program had to hire him back , at a decent not great salary, because they couldn't find anyone else with what they offered and what needed to be done to turn the program back to the winning ways of the G1 era.

Let him go is easy, who will replace him is the problem if the school doesn't want to pay top dollar and decides to gamble on a bargain hire,like usual.
Remember what Greg's getting now is far from top dollar and Hobbs had the fanbase forcing him to come to terms.

Schiano settled for less than he wanted because RU was his only P-5 option if he wanted a HC job, maybe even a G-5 one
Now he probably has some options available but might feel being at RU is his best chance to be a successful HC

Given the accelerated progress, bowl eligibility before Year 5, I think Greg Schiano deserves a little less than James Franklin money, and his salary should be
$8M per year.

In two years time, we’re going to be BETTER than OSU, PSU, and Michigan. No one else could have accomplished this.

Next year, the stadium is going to be filled, donations are going to be up, and we will be even better.
The Little Rascals Money GIF

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
WOW is that money being thrown Greg's way to make him want to stay .
Michigan might be needing a new HC soon and they might try to poach Schiano if they feel he's inhappy with the chump change he's making as the RU HC.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

How is it that rutgersal does not understand how salaries work?

When you want to double your salary, you move somewhere that can PAY IT.

When GS builds Rutgers Football to a point where it can pay a coach $8M.. then maybe he'll make that.

That said.. I love how this thread is triggering the haters. The season has gone too well for them to shout about how Coach should be fired.

Rutgers will be receiving roughly $80M - $100M from its Big Ten distribution next year, up significantly from this year. Furthermore, Revenue will be up across the board from season ticket sales, parking etc. there will be more than enough revenue to fund any salary increases

Fair enough. I will not take it as given that we will be the class of the Big Ten. I just feel like we are on that track, however. And that an increase is warranted based on the progress we've seen till date, such as significantly improved competitiveness against the Big Ten Elite, 6 wins, and a pretty good chance that we end up with at least 1 more win, and perhaps as many as 3 more wins.
Once GS can hold onto leads in the second half playing the better teams of the Big Ten , only then will he be worthy of a big payday, I don’t see a Louisville type game in the very near future, the team is just not on that level yet.

$1 less than Lance Leopold.

I'm happy we are getting back to respectable. I do think others may be able to take us further faster. BUT, that is a very very short list.

Greg will leave the program light years ahead of where he started.
Who could take us further faster??

And mind you it has to be a coach that is getable. Kirby Smart is not coming to Rutgers. That doesn't count.

Once GS can hold onto leads in the second half playing the better teams of the Big Ten , only then will he be worthy of a big payday, I don’t see a Louisville type game in the very near future, the team is just not on that level yet.
Don’t be ridiculous. When’s the last time Penn State held onto a lead against the Big Ten elite? Yet James Franklin is receiving $8.5M. Either we pay market, or the market will correct Schiano’s salary situation.

But the school might take a big PR hit and have other programs point out Greg left because Rutgers wasn't willing to pay what it takes to have a good football program.
The only way Rutgers could counter that would be pay through the nose to get a HC that would make RU FB look like it was willing to invest the money it takes to have a winning program.

Yes Rutgers could wave bye bye to Greg if he threatened to leave , but remember what happened last time he did and how the program had to hire him back , at a decent not great salary, because they couldn't find anyone else with what they offered and what needed to be done to turn the program back to the winning ways of the G1 era.

Let him go is easy, who will replace him is the problem if the school doesn't want to pay top dollar and decides to gamble on a bargain hire,like usual.
Remember what Greg's getting now is far from top dollar and Hobbs had the fanbase forcing him to come to terms.

Schiano settled for less than he wanted because RU was his only P-5 option if he wanted a HC job, maybe even a G-5 one
Now he probably has some options available but might feel being at RU is his best chance to be a successful HC
The point I was trying to make was that Schiano can walk away so long as all he wants to do is retire. But, as you say, Rutgers will take a big hit if he does.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Don’t be ridiculous. When’s the last time Penn State held onto a lead against the Big Ten elite? Yet James Franklin is receiving $8.5M. Either we pay market, or the market will correct Schiano’s salary situation.
If you want to compare GS to JF unfortunately it’s not even close , I wish it was but it never will be , if we end up with a winning record this year I for one will celebrate, but does that mean GS should be paid millions of more dollars per year, in my opinion I don’t think one winning season warrants it.

If you want to compare GS to JF unfortunately it’s not even close , I wish it was but it never will be , if we end up with a winning record this year I for one will celebrate, but does that mean GS should be paid millions of more dollars per year, in my opinion I don’t think one winning season warrants it.
Well your entitled to your opinion, but I think you’re wrong.

Look at where JF started and look where GS started. JF inherited a 100K+ game attending fanbase, with class leading facilities , and a full roster. GS inherited an empty roster, an empty stadium, and facilities which have to be significantly augmented to be able to recruit the best players.

Now we have a full roster and full stadium, despite our constraints. This is why GS deserves to be rewarded.

Even with all JF’s advantages, he rarely beats OSU and Michigan. So how can you expect GS to do the same, in order to get an increase ?

Just the fact that we will be able to go to Happy Valley and play competitively is a minor miracle in of itself, because we’re doing it with a fraction of the resources they have.

GS deserves to be paid significantly more because he’s built Rutgers into a competitive program, with a mostly full stadium, That can reasonably compete with most Big Ten programs, especially PSU.

Some don’t understand what’s been accomplished here. Kids didn’t just roll out of bed and become Big Ten Competitive overnight.

Someone kicked them in the ass to drive them to be the best players they could be. Kids woke up early morning and did the work. Kids did the work in the film room. Lots of sweat equity has been expended to get to where we are today. This team is a self motivated team which can reasonably compete with anyone on any given day.

We now have a National Championship Caliber Culture. You can tell by the significant improvement from last year to this year. Zilinskas is probably the most improved lineman and a key reason why the running game has improved. Kids like Kyle Monangai regularly drill blitzing linebackers into the ground. Tyreem Powell is an NFL caliber linebacker, who unfortunately got injured. Longerbeam is an NFL caliber corner, who held his own against Marvin Harrison.

Someone built this for us. That someone was GS, who did so over four years.

pay the Man! 💰 💰

Rutgers will be receiving roughly $80M - $100M from its Big Ten distribution next year, up significantly from this year. Furthermore, Revenue will be up across the board from season ticket sales, parking etc. there will be more than enough revenue to fund any salary increases
we have that with a $4M coach. he was paid $4M when we knew we'd be getting that Big Ten money.

you think that money is not accounted for in our budget proposals for years to come?

you want to take $4M from that and use it for the head coach? what other sports budgets do you reduce for that $4M?

GS needs to fundraise for NIL to get the bodies he needs to raise talent where he can compete for a Big Ten championship. He does that and then the money to pay him a lot more will flow into the program because Rutgers Football will become an "event" in this area that there will be surplus demand for.

Is he worth more than $4M? Based on what Big Ten coaches get paid.. probably.. especially to Rutgers. He is worth more to Rutgers than he would be to similar programs elsewhere. But Rutgers cannot afford to pay him more.. not much more anyway.

Why did you feel the need to reply to my post twice in two different replies?

Is it related in any way to wanting to pay GS twice his current salary?

we have that with a $4M coach. he was paid $4M when we knew we'd be getting that Big Ten money.

you think that money is not accounted for in our budget proposals for years to come?

you want to take $4M from that and use it for the head coach? what other sports budgets do you reduce for that $4M?

GS needs to fundraise for NIL to get the bodies he needs to raise talent where he can compete for a Big Ten championship. He does that and then the money to pay him a lot more will flow into the program because Rutgers Football will become an "event" in this area that there will be surplus demand for.

Is he worth more than $4M? Based on what Big Ten coaches get paid.. probably.. especially to Rutgers. He is worth more to Rutgers than he would be to similar programs elsewhere. But Rutgers cannot afford to pay him more.. not much more anyway.
Rutgers/Ohio State was an event. The stadium was packed. The parking lot was packed. It was the biggest event since 2014 Rutgers/Michigan.

What you’ve presented here is categorically
False. In 2019, no one had any way of knowing that USC, Oregon, and Washington were joining the conference. That’s why the media payout has significantly escalated. In 2018, Rutgers forecasted to earn between 58M to 69.2 M, and that is likely what the 2024 budget was based on.

In a 2018 internal report, Rutgers projected the Big Ten’s annual distribution to range between $58 million and $69.2 million between 2023 and 2029.

However for 2024, revenue will significantly escalate.

Officials familiar with the deal told NJ Advance Media Friday the Big Ten distribution for each school is expected exceed $70 million next year and soar north of $80 million by the end of the deal in 2029-30.

They’ve only known since last summer that revenue was going to significantly escalate for 2024. For 2023, the positive delta was $12M. For 2024, it will exceed that because USC, Oregon, and Washington will join the conference. Furthermore, we can be assured that revenue will significantly escalate for season tickets, parking, and donations, though donations will be used for capital expenses, rather than operations.

The 2024 administrative expense budget will be finalized by July, as Rutgers fiscal year begins in July.

It’s on Hobbs to figure out how to make the numbers work. I can’t think of a bigger priority other than ensuring Schiano and his staff are appropriately compensated given what has been achieved. You can be sure that Schiano’s agent is on the horn with Hobbs to make that happen. Schiano will get his extension after the season is over.

Rutgers/Ohio State was an event. The stadium was packed. The parking lot was packed. It was the biggest event since 2014 Rutgers/Michigan.

What you’ve presented here is categorically
False. In 2019, no one had any way of knowing that USC, Oregon, and Washington were joining the conference. That’s why the media payout has significantly escalated. In 2018, Rutgers forecasted to earn between 58M to 69.2 M, and that is likely what the 2024 budget was based on.

In a 2018 internal report, Rutgers projected the Big Ten’s annual distribution to range between $58 million and $69.2 million between 2023 and 2029.

However for 2024, revenue will significantly escalate.

Officials familiar with the deal told NJ Advance Media Friday the Big Ten distribution for each school is expected exceed $70 million next year and soar north of $80 million by the end of the deal in 2029-30.

They’ve only known since last summer that revenue was going to significantly escalate for 2024. For 2023, the positive delta was $12M. For 2024, it will exceed that because USC, Oregon, and Washington will join the conference. Furthermore, we can be assured that revenue will significantly escalate for season tickets, parking, and donations, though donations will be used for capital expenses, rather than operations.

The 2024 administrative expense budget will be finalized by July, as Rutgers fiscal year begins in July.

It’s on Hobbs to figure out how to make the numbers work. I can’t think of a bigger priority other than ensuring Schiano and his staff are appropriately compensated given what has been achieved. You can be sure that Schiano’s agent is on the horn with Hobbs to make that happen. Schiano will get his extension after the season is over.
Then how about you allow them.. Schiano's people and Hobbs people.. work it out instead of lobbying for him to double his salary then bend over backwards to insist that the Big Ten money should be used to pay him what you think he should be paid?

What schools would target him ? There’s not much room for career growth from here.

The NFL won’t take him again, and there are very few higher-echelon schools where he may be a good fit.

He ain’t going to the Big12 or ACC. Only SEC school that might entertain the idea is Florida.

And where else in the Big10 would he go ? Franklin ain’t going anywhere. OSU sent him packing once, hiring Day from within instead. Wisconsin just hired a coach. Maybe, just maybe Michigan would be interested after Harbaugh goes. But would they pay him more than we would given his mediocre results?

I don’t see any other legit suitors for him. He’s reached his job ceiling.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
In year 4 of this rebuild Greg Schiano has not beaten one, yes, not even one team with a winning record. Think about that fact before you are so quick to agree with the delusions of the OP. There is no doubt that he is a master marketer of himself, and that over the years he has cultivated a loyal and passionate following, but as for real results on the football field, well, they leave a lot to desire. By the way, how has he done developing QB talent over that span?
Some are quick to forget what it was like over the last 9 years. I was at the game that we lost 78-0. Greg has made a lot of money in his career, so I don’t think he will try to break the bank. Greg will probably want the average salary of the current big ten coaches, which is fair. I think Greg will want to bump up his coaches to maintain continuity. The beauty of sports is that it’s a results driven business. The only stat that matters is how many games did you win compared to how many you lost……..period.

What schools would target him ? There’s not much room for career growth from here.

The NFL won’t take him again, and there are very few higher-echelon schools where he may be a good fit.

He ain’t going to the Big12 or ACC. Only SEC school that might entertain the idea is Florida.

And where else in the Big10 would he go ? Franklin ain’t going anywhere. OSU sent him packing once, hiring Day from within instead. Wisconsin just hired a coach. Maybe, just maybe Michigan would be interested after Harbaugh goes. But would they pay him more than we would given his mediocre results?

I don’t see any other legit suitors for him. He’s reached his job ceiling.
I believe only Pete Carroll was the only college coach that got a second change as a NFL coach but he had 7 straight years with over 11 wins or more and ranked nationally 2-3 several years.

Michigan will hire a coach with experience winning 10 or more games a year since they are expected to win 10 or more a year. Harbaugh did wonder at Stanford. Some wanted Harbaugh fired even with 10 wins because he couldn’t beat Ohio State.

I think a $5 million salary for Schiano is adequate 25% raise , $500k bonus for 6 wins, another 500k or $6,000,000 for 7 wins, $6,750,000 for 8 wins, $7,750,000 for 9 wins, 9,000,000 for 10 wins, $10,000,000 for 11 wins and $11,000,000 for 12 wins. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State average 10 wins a season.

Last edited:
Then how about you allow them.. Schiano's people and Hobbs people.. work it out instead of lobbying for him to double his salary then bend over backwards to insist that the Big Ten money should be used to pay him what you think he should be paid?
This is a legitimate topic of discussion. I feel his salary should be doubled and was wondering what other’s thought.

This is a legitimate topic of discussion. I feel his salary should be doubled and was wondering what other’s thought.
Who ever gets double the salary in one year? You want Schiano to get $8 million for 6-7 wins a season and think that we are winning. Harbough, Franklin and Day averaged 10 wins the last three years. Franklin and Harbaugh are getting about $8 million.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT