ADVERTISEMENT

Who will replace Donovan at Florida,,a list of candidates

It 's gotta be Danny Hurley. Who else could it possibly be for a job opening at a top program.... :confused:;)

It 's gotta be Danny Hurley. Who else could it possibly be for a job opening at a top program.... :confused:;)
Didn't read the article, but Foley has supposedly already contacted Chris Mack from Xavier. Miller and Mack are the two top names that keep popping up right now. Michael White from La Tech has gotten some buzz -- young, state of Florida ties and dad is Duke AD. Pelphrey and Grant (especially Pelphrey) are involved more than I would like. Some below the radar names that have popped up which I find to be interesting as a UF alum are Chris Cooley from Providence and Lawrence Frank. Not a Frank fan, but I do like Cooley, and think he would be able to recruit like a beast at UF.

It's a shame that that the Texas job opened up a month before the UF one because I think otherwise Shaka Smart would have been signed, sealed and delivered by now.

Would that be Ed Cooley from Providence ? And to think that RU could have hired him instead of Mike Rice.

Providence is home for Cooley. Would be surprised to see him bite at the UF apple.

Yea, Ed Cooley. Don't know why I said Chris. Xavier is also home for Mack, but I think there have been at least preliminary discussions. UF could be a different type of job than a current Big East job though. I think there is a lot more to offer.

I would think one of the assistants but Florida struggled this year. My guess is they go with one of the younger coaches.

Maybe:
Miller - 36
Pitino - 32
Capel - 40

Reactions: ruclass76
I would think one of the assistants but Florida struggled this year. My guess is they go with one of the younger coaches.

Maybe:
Miller - 36
Pitino - 32
Capel - 40
Capel's name has not been mentioned in any of the lists that I have seen, although it would be interesting. The primary names that I have seen so far, in order are: 1) Miller; 2) Mack; 3a) Pelphrey and 3b) Grant. Foley at times likes to go outside the box with his hires, so we will see. He needs a big hire right now, because Coach McElwain (the football hire) has not exactly instilled enthusiasm in the fanbase, and Muschamp was possibly the worst SEC hire/coach of all time.

Whoever the hire is will have to repair relationships with the shady Florida AAU programs, as Billy alienated them (at least the ones that didn't do things the right way). Kevaughn Allen, our top signee just announced he is going to request his release.

Personally I really don't care who they hire. It will only affect us if Pitino's son gets the job and leaves Minnesota. I think Rick has too much influence in people like Williard and his own son getting a job.

Personally I really don't care who they hire. It will only affect us if Pitino's son gets the job and leaves Minnesota. I think Rick has too much influence in people like Williard and his own son getting a job.
Mike White apparently the frontrunner. Would be a very Foleyesque hire -- similar to McElwain, and Billy Donovan in that grabbing an up and coming mid major coach relatively inexpensively rather than going for a bigger, more expensive name. I would endorse this hire though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT