ADVERTISEMENT

Why Isn’t Strong On The Field More?

RUGuitarMan

Senior
Apr 5, 2021
I’m not a guy who typically extols the WR group, I think the game is decided up front. However, this kid Ian Strong appears to be a real difference maker. RU doesn’t have many. I know he is a true freshman, but he has very good hands and is a big body. In my opinion, he is a better WR now than either Dremel or Washington. They need to start this kid.

I like Strong a lot. He is developing as a true frosh and starting to overtake Washington, who never really turned the corner. He has a very bright future.

Not sure why you cited Dremel, who is a slot guy and has been very productive

You can’t play the freshmen too many snaps because their S&C isn’t up to par. Next year he’ll be in much better shape and will play significantly.
HUH, Next Year? He's 6'3" 210 lbs and that isn't 210lbs of fat. Right now, he's the best WR we've got. His catch radius is insane and anything within it he catches. He needs to play more and Gavin needs to start targeting him instead of the 5' 8" Dremel. A WR like Strong can help some with Gavin's inaccuracy. Because we all know he can't hit anyone close to the numbers.

HUH, Next Year? He's 6'3" 210 lbs and that isn't 210lbs of fat. Right now, he's the best WR we've got. His catch radius is insane and anything within it he catches. He needs to play more and Gavin needs to start targeting him instead of the 5' 8" Dremel.
Yeah. He’s looks like a small tight end out there already. If he somehow gets a tad faster (very doable since he’s just a freshman) he’d be practically uncover-able.

You can’t play the freshmen too many snaps because their S&C isn’t up to par. Next year he’ll be in much better shape and will play significantly.
That’s such BS. These kids are athletes and should be on the field. I can understand if they don’t know the playbook but at this point we run about 5 plays in total

HUH, Next Year? He's 6'3" 210 lbs and that isn't 210lbs of fat. Right now, he's the best WR we've got. His catch radius is insane and anything within it he catches. He needs to play more and Gavin needs to start targeting him instead of the 5' 8" Dremel. A WR like Strong can help some with Gavin's inaccuracy. Because we all know he can't hit anyone close to the numbers.
agreed. Don’t have the luxury of waiting for S&C especially at the wideout position. Your only leasing these guys for one season. If he doesn’t play here your at risk for losing him to someone who will.

Strong is not a developmental player kid was ready the day he moved on campus.

Did Dremel piss in your Wheaties? He's been productive all year.

Dremel IS tough to hit when he’s between the layers of defenders. There was one play where Dremel was between layers down the right side and the ball was overthrown. Gavin would’ve needed to release it a skosh earlier and put more air under it to drop it in there.

Reactions: koleszar
That’s such BS. These kids are athletes and should be on the field. I can understand if they don’t know the playbook but at this point we run about 5 plays in total
It is physically taxing for kids to be on the field.

Just because they’re athletes, doesn’t mean they are ready to play every play. Strong is being used perfectly, in spots.

If you watch closely, you’ll noticed that many of our kids are rotated in and out. This is to keep them fresh. If strong played every down, he’d be winded. Next year, he’ll play more, after having been in the program more than a year.

He was so productive he accounted for 1 catch and 5 yds.. He was in on every single Wimsatt pass and targeted 7 times or 20% of Gavins throws. Clearly, he's Gavin's favorite target and it's not working. He needs a bigger target with a wider catch radius because he's so inaccurate. Strong provides that, hitting Dremel is like hitting a bullseye for our archer who has one eye. Dremel's a fine slot receiver but he should not be the #1 option.

Last edited:
Reactions: satnom
actually 6 plays. you probably forgot the ‘throw it deep 4 yards out of bounds’ play to make it look like we are taking chances in the passing game when we actually aren’t. slick, huh ? Schiano giggles in his office in his with his mini-me doll watching replays of these devious play calls.

Last edited:
It is physically taxing for kids to be on the field.

Just because they’re athletes, doesn’t mean they are ready to play every play. Strong is being used perfectly, in spots.

If you watch closely, you’ll noticed that many of our kids are rotated in and out. This is to keep them fresh. If strong played every down, he’d be winded. Next year, he’ll play more, after having been in the program more than a year.
No offense but that's one of the dumbest things I've heard. It's physically taxing for 19-20 year old world class athletes to play the sport they've played their entire lives and are on scholarship to do? Stop

No offense but that's one of the dumbest things I've heard. It's physically taxing for 19-20 year old world class athletes to play the sport they've played their entire lives and are on scholarship to do? Stop
Wrong. You don’t understand the physical toll that this sport takes on kids. Just because they’ve been playing the sport their entire lives, doesn’t meant they’re ready to play every play in Division I College Football.

He’s not a world class athlete YET. It takes time, at least a full year in the program.
His strength and conditioning will be on a different level a year from now, from where it is now.

Kenny Britt was spot played in his first year. Tim Brown was spot played his first year. And you expect me to believe that Ian Strong is different? NO WAY!

The coaches know best. If he was ready to play full time, he’d be playing full time.

Wrong. You don’t understand the physical toll that this sport takes on kids. Just because they’ve been playing the sport their entire lives, doesn’t meant they’re ready to play every play in Division I College Football.

He’s not a world class athlete YET. It takes time, at least a full year in the program.
His strength and conditioning will be on a different level a year from now, from where it is now.

Kenny Britt was spot played in his first year. Tim Brown was spot played his first year. And you expect me to believe that Ian Strong is different? NO WAY!

The coaches know best. If he was ready to play full time, he’d be playing full time.

At WR, he can play far more than he does
Young can be a 3rd down back also….
Their absence makes the Opposing DC’s Job easier.

Strong should be starting with Jackson, and Dremel should be the slot guy. Washington should be rotating in, not Strong. The farther you are from the ball at the snap, the easier it is to be physically ready to go as a freshman IMO.

Young absolutely is a 3rd down back.

Don’t engage Fieldhouse Al. He probably doesn’t even know footballs are brown or the field isn’t oval.

it takes a massive amount of stupidity to be a national laughingstock and he accomplished it on his first day on the internet.

At WR, he can play far more than he does
Young can be a 3rd down back also….
Their absence makes the Opposing DC’s Job easier.

He will probably see more action, especially if he continues to play the way he has.

he had four catches, more than any one else, and a touchdown. The coaches know him best and will play him accordingly. I think he was used appropriately till this point.

I’ve previously posted that Young should be our third down back, and that they should be throwing passes to him, out of the backfield. I would also put him out there on 2nd and Long.

He will probably see more action, especially if he continues to play the way he has.

he had four catches, more than any one else, and a touchdown. The coaches know him best and will play him accordingly. I think he was used appropriately till this point.

I’ve previously posted that Young should be our third down back, and that they should be throwing passes to him, out of the backfield. I would also put him out there on 2nd and Long.
We also have schematic issues Al.
We run an RPO where the QB isn’t allowed to read and run, it’s painfully slow developing and it begs for penetration…the only way to keep the D honest is for Gavin to pull the ball via a read and beat the penetration…. He’s not permitted and the defense knows it. His runs are called.
Our use of outside release and DB’s using the sideline as a 12th defender is painful to watch and delight for DB’s to defend.
Our punter will lose games by himself.
This run game will go BACKWARDS against anyone who can play defense and it hurts Gavin.
Our punter can lose game all by himself,

Last edited:
We’re not at practice so what do we know? I do like these young guys a lot and look forward to seeing them more and more as we have been. Playbook, route running and blocking on the edge are all important.

Also as a reminder Britt had his breakout game against Louisville which I believe was game 8 his freshman year. Underwood only played the wildcat and made a few grabs. Timmy Brown broke out in the bowl game his freshman year.

Edit: on the other hand Sanu had over 50 catches and over 60 wildcat rushes his freshman year to be fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
actually 6 plays. you probably forgot the ‘throw it deep 4 yards out of bounds’ play to make it look like we are taking chances in the passing game when we actually aren’t. slick, huh ? Schiano giggles in his office in his office with his mini-me doll watching replays of these devious play calls.
You are spot on.

What was hilarious yesterday was everytime it was 3rd down the cameraman would show Schiano on the sidelines either talking to Appleby or Patel as if he was just planning on us not getting the 3rd down. No killer instinct or confidence

We also have schematic issues Al.
We run an RPO where the QB isn’t allowed to read and run, it’s painfully slow developing and it begs for penetration…the only way to keep the D honest is for Gavin to pull the ball via a read and beat the penetration…. He’s not permitted and the defense knows it. His runs are called.
Our use of outside release and DB’s using the sideline as a 12th defender is painful to watch and delight for DB’s to defend.
Our punter will lose games by himself.
This run game will go BACKWARDS against anyone who can play defense and it hurts Gavin.
Our punter can lose game all by himself,
There are no easy solutions. If we don’t have a running game, we’re probably screwed, at least for now.

You are spot on.

What was hilarious yesterday was everytime it was 3rd down the cameraman would show Schiano on the sidelines either talking to Appleby or Patel as if he was just planning on us not getting the 3rd down. No killer instinct or confidence
Obvious as the day is long. No intention to convert third and long so the call is to throw out of bounds deep. That’s him, not the OC.

At best, his smooth toad brain thinks these plays will force opponents to respect our vertical game but everyone knows those plays are a farce. An embarrassing farce.

We’re not at practice so what do we know? I do like these young guys a lot and look forward to seeing them more and more as we have been. Playbook, route running and blocking on the edge are all important.

Also as a reminder Britt had his breakout game against Louisville which I believe was game 8 his freshman year. Underwood only played the wildcat and made a few grabs. Timmy Brown broke out in the bowl game his freshman year.

Edit: on the other hand Sanu had over 50 catches and over 60 wildcat rushes his freshman year to be fair.
Sanu is really the only one who was a main contributor his freshman year. Everyone else needed time to get acclimated to this level.

If we’re 2 WR, it’s Strong and Jackson. 3 WRs it’s Strong, Jackson, Dremel/Washington. 4 WRs it’s Strong, Jackson, Dremel, Washington.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Our run game is always better when we have a lead just as Wisconsin’s got better as the game went on. Wisconsin won the LOS plain and simple but we weren’t far off. Play calling could be better but execution was the biggest issue.

We had our chances early to get some takeaways but just missed 2 on the first drive. We got 2 later which kept the score close. The pick 6 was a dagger. They knew it was coming and Gavin forced it. Was only second down. For the season he has been great making the right decisions.

Sanu is really the only one who was a main contributor his freshman year. Everyone else needed time to get acclimated to this level.
I left off Carroo too. He made some grabs freshman year. We also slung the rock a lot more that year.

I left off Carroo too. He made some grabs freshman year. We also slung the rock a lot more that year
If we’re 2 WR, it’s Strong and Jackson. 3 WRs it’s Strong, Jackson, Dremel/Washington. 4 WRs it’s Strong, Jackson, Dremel, Washington.
Washington has played well all year. Looks like our best blocker on the edge. Also surprised how well Dremel and Jackson block for smaller guys.

Why stop at Strong? I think Ofurie looks like he will have a strong career too and Toure is another big body coming off an injury. Strong definitely looks that part but I’m excited about the future of the WR room with Gavin getting better too.

Not ready to kick any veterans to the curb though. They’re doing their job. No drops all year.

A good reply. Other thoughts, by the eye test, Washington has been good. So has Dremel. Defenses know Gavin's main target is Jackson. Changing it up and putting strong in the mix a bit more based on his performance makes sense.

There is exactly what we should see in the final 6 and hopefully 7 remaining games for 2023. He was injured early in camp? Did he come in at mid year? Britt is a good example as is Tim Brown.

I fully expect us to see more and more of Strong each week.

S&C??? Have you looked at that kid up close Al??!!

There is exactly what we should see in the final 6 and hopefully 7 remaining games for 2023. He was injured early in camp? Did he come in at mid year? Britt is a good example as is Tim Brown.
Strong came in at mid year and this helped him see time early. Duff is supposed to come in at Mid year too.

Reactions: RUBOB72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT