ADVERTISEMENT

Willard Postgame Press Conference Today

I thought it was clearly ChatGPT when he posted it after reading the first sentence.
There's a weird flowery, sing-songy vibe to ChatGPT that you can sniff out. I'm sure things like this will get better over time. It can still be useful and save time if people are willing to put the work into to edit and customize.

Next time ask them to write it with a mansplaining tone. And I need it to say somewhere "What fans don't realize is..."
💯 definitely need that condescending mansplaining tone to truly capture it

Oskar is not a willing defender but I get your point
Oh he for sure is. Maybe you're thinking about freshman Oskar

Oskar is currently a very willing, but not necessarily able, defender

Whoever coined the term Hawksplain was spot on.
Pretty sure that was me

Classic Film Bow GIF by Warner Archive

The team is 2nd in all of CBB in whatever measures defensive efficiency. I am pretty certain that the staff puts together an excellent game plan, scouting and then all 5 players go out and execute.

If fans want to believe that is primarily because of Mag, great.....keep in mind we have Cliff anchoring the defense, very good on the ball guards and now have a 3rd one in JWill.

I also think (or know) that if you lose the Defensive Player of the Year (Caleb McConnell) and the defense remains at a high level, the constant between both seasons, is Cliff as an interior problem for teams to deal with....and now Ogbole backs him, which clearly is a big difference vs asking Wolf to be that player.

I also know that every CBB values pieces that defend 1 to 5 and plenty of rosters in CBB have pieces like that.....Illinois has Coleman Hawkins, Sparty has players, Illinois has athletes, as do a bunch of other successful CBB programs.

To me, last year, the staff took way too long to plug Simpson into the lineup and give RU offense, to offset Mag going down....Keep in mind we had Caleb and Cliff already on the floor as elite defenders. The team needed offense.

Right now, do I think being 2nd in defense and 300+ in offense makes sense?? I don't but we probably wouldn't be 300th if JWill played all season. And we won't be 300th, if Mag scores and defends. Mag scoring brings him into discussions as a more complete player like Coleman Hawkins and lots of others.

My last point is to keep in mind, the staff has recruited 2 very similar athletes and players like Mag in 2024. Will these 2 players ask for or require a ton of NIL money as freshman...?? I wouldn't intentionally ignore the staff "covering themselves", by having options with the same traits and skills that Mag brings to the table. Obviously you want each player to stay, and not lose the experience factor. I'd rather have Mag, Bailey, Dortch and Dylan Grant all on next year's roster, but in today's NIL environment, you have to protect yourself as well.

Mag played lights out vs Maryland but for the 100th time, he is not or was not the reason RU didn't make the NCAAs last year.

There's 30+ games in a season and players have great games, good games, so-so games and games where they don't play well at all. Mag is still a complimentary player that is slotted as the 5th scoring option on the floor. He had at least a dozen games before Michigan and Maryland to step forward and play lights out.

His play tonight and vs Michigan making plays and layups are HUGE, because RU hasn't been making layups OR shots at the basket or in the paint. No one ever questioned his willingness to hustle and defend but I can say that about a lot of the RU players. They all are willing defenders.

I do see what I see....and I see all 3 guards now getting Mag easier opportunities or layups in transition or conversions when plays need to be made. JWill, Simpson and Davis are now 3 players who are making plays and creating opportunities for Mag, Cliff and Hyatt to score. Mag, Cliff and Hyatt need to convert those plays, when presented.

It would be pretty clear (to me) that my point last year and this year in the last 2 games, that as the backcourt goes and generates plays, Mag and others benefit. It would be foolish to ignore what Jeremiah Williams and the guards have brought to the table to elevate the entire starting lineup and Mag.

Would I have changed my stance on Mag, if this type of play happened consistently in the prior dozen or so games?? 100%

Give credit to the playmakers and guards, which has been my point of view from the beginning on last years roster and this year's team as well.....it's the backcourt that is going to drive whatever success RU generates. Mag and others benefit from that and if the guards (Simpson, Davis and now JWill, with a mix in of Noah) then RU looks completely different. The backcourt with JWill is the difference folks, ignoring that would be kinda silly.
Stopped reading after first paragraph because you are WRONG and will never admit it.
Wrong about Mag and wrong about Cam.
And not just a little wrong, like trying to get to ShopRite down the street and ending up in California wrong!

Mawot Mag, while undoubtedly possessing certain skills and attributes on the basketball court, may not be considered a Big Ten player due to several key factors. Firstly, Mag's playing style and skill set may not align with the typical requirements and demands of the Big Ten conference. Secondly, his physical attributes and athleticism may not be at the level required to compete at the highest level within the Big Ten. Additionally, Mag's experience and track record in high-level competition may not be sufficient to thrive in the rigorous environment of the Big Ten. Finally, the level of competition within the Big Ten conference itself presents a significant challenge that may prove to be too formidable for Mag to overcome.

One reason why Mawot Mag may not be considered a Big Ten player is his playing style and skill set. The Big Ten conference is known for its physicality, defensive prowess, and emphasis on fundamental basketball. If Mag's strengths lie in areas such as finesse, perimeter shooting, or playmaking rather than in physicality, rebounding, and defense, he may struggle to make a significant impact in the Big Ten.

Another factor to consider is Mag's physical attributes and athleticism. The Big Ten conference is home to some of the most athletically gifted and physically imposing players in college basketball. If Mag lacks the size, strength, or athleticism to compete with these players, he may find himself overmatched and unable to assert himself effectively on the court.

Furthermore, Mag's experience and track record in high-level competition may not be extensive enough to prepare him for the rigors of the Big Ten. Players who excel in the Big Ten typically have a history of success in elite high school or AAU programs, as well as experience competing against top-tier competition. If Mag lacks this background, he may struggle to adapt to the heightened intensity and pressure of Big Ten basketball.

Lastly, the level of competition within the Big Ten conference itself presents a significant challenge. With perennial powerhouse programs such as Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State, as well as up-and-coming teams like Iowa and Illinois, the Big Ten is widely regarded as one of the toughest conferences in college basketball. If Mag is unable to consistently perform at a high level against this caliber of competition, it may be difficult for him to establish himself as a Big Ten player.

In conclusion, while Mawot Mag may possess certain skills and talents on the basketball court, there are several factors that may prevent him from being considered a Big Ten player. His playing style and skill set, physical attributes and athleticism, experience and track record, and the level of competition within the Big Ten all pose significant challenges that may prove to be insurmountable for Mag. Ultimately, whether or not Mag can overcome these obstacles and establish himself as a Big Ten player remains to be seen.
Did ChatGPT write this?

Mawot Mag, while undoubtedly possessing certain skills and attributes on the basketball court, may not be considered a Big Ten player due to several key factors. Firstly, Mag's playing style and skill set may not align with the typical requirements and demands of the Big Ten conference. Secondly, his physical attributes and athleticism may not be at the level required to compete at the highest level within the Big Ten. Additionally, Mag's experience and track record in high-level competition may not be sufficient to thrive in the rigorous environment of the Big Ten. Finally, the level of competition within the Big Ten conference itself presents a significant challenge that may prove to be too formidable for Mag to overcome.

One reason why Mawot Mag may not be considered a Big Ten player is his playing style and skill set. The Big Ten conference is known for its physicality, defensive prowess, and emphasis on fundamental basketball. If Mag's strengths lie in areas such as finesse, perimeter shooting, or playmaking rather than in physicality, rebounding, and defense, he may struggle to make a significant impact in the Big Ten.

Another factor to consider is Mag's physical attributes and athleticism. The Big Ten conference is home to some of the most athletically gifted and physically imposing players in college basketball. If Mag lacks the size, strength, or athleticism to compete with these players, he may find himself overmatched and unable to assert himself effectively on the court.

Furthermore, Mag's experience and track record in high-level competition may not be extensive enough to prepare him for the rigors of the Big Ten. Players who excel in the Big Ten typically have a history of success in elite high school or AAU programs, as well as experience competing against top-tier competition. If Mag lacks this background, he may struggle to adapt to the heightened intensity and pressure of Big Ten basketball.

Lastly, the level of competition within the Big Ten conference itself presents a significant challenge. With perennial powerhouse programs such as Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State, as well as up-and-coming teams like Iowa and Illinois, the Big Ten is widely regarded as one of the toughest conferences in college basketball. If Mag is unable to consistently perform at a high level against this caliber of competition, it may be difficult for him to establish himself as a Big Ten player.

In conclusion, while Mawot Mag may possess certain skills and talents on the basketball court, there are several factors that may prevent him from being considered a Big Ten player. His playing style and skill set, physical attributes and athleticism, experience and track record, and the level of competition within the Big Ten all pose significant challenges that may prove to be insurmountable for Mag. Ultimately, whether or not Mag can overcome these obstacles and establish himself as a Big Ten player remains to be seen.
You forgot to add that he is not the reason why RU missed the NCAAs last year despite the team collapsing without him. 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rubigtimenow
A year ago this week, Mag limped off the Madison Square Garden court with a serious knee injury - 6:25 remaining in the first half. At the time, the teams were trading baskets. In the second half, Paul took control of the game and scored 17 points to lead Rutgers to the victory.

My point is, yes, Mag is an important player. Still, Rutgers season does not hang on the play of one guy or the call of an official. Blaming the failure to make the NCAA tournament on Mag's injury or, more pathetically, an official missing an out of bounds call at Ohio State, is whiny nonsense.

A year ago this week, Mag limped off the Madison Square Garden court with a serious knee injury - 6:25 remaining in the first half. At the time, the teams were trading baskets. In the second half, Paul took control of the game and scored 17 points to lead Rutgers to the victory.

My point is, yes, Mag is an important player. Still, Rutgers season does not hang on the play of one guy or the call of an official. Blaming the failure to make the NCAA tournament on Mag's injury or, more pathetically, an official missing an out of bounds call at Ohio State, is whiny nonsense.
When it appears that you were the first team left out… not whiny nonsense.

The way Ohio State was stolen from us. It wasn’t a judgmental call that could go against us but refs not following the rules… it’s not whiny nonsense.

When it’s not the first time we’ve had ridiculously poor officiating go against us. Remember St. John’s in the B1G East? It’s not whiny nonsense.

Have you watched RU games since we entered the B1G ever get benefits of calls home and away? It’s not whiny interest.

We have Mags rest of year don’t think it’s unreasonable to think we could have one at least one more game. It’s not Whitney nonsense.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Yes, because there were later opportunities to make up for those events. We lost at home to SHU and Iowa, and then the @Minny disaster. The team blew it unrelated to Mag and the OSU non-call.

Reactions: Fat Koko
That was a very bold statement by Williard. I have been saying it for awhile that Mag was an incredible defender. He contorts his body like Gumby. The effort he gives every night should make him immune from criticism similar to the way Caleb played.
Some folks here may be too young to know who Gumby is. (Not the version played by Eddie Murphy.)

Reactions: mugrat86
The team is 2nd in all of CBB in whatever measures defensive efficiency. I am pretty certain that the staff puts together an excellent game plan, scouting and then all 5 players go out and execute.

If fans want to believe that is primarily because of Mag, great.....keep in mind we have Cliff anchoring the defense, very good on the ball guards and now have a 3rd one in JWill.

I also think (or know) that if you lose the Defensive Player of the Year (Caleb McConnell) and the defense remains at a high level, the constant between both seasons, is Cliff as an interior problem for teams to deal with....and now Ogbole backs him, which clearly is a big difference vs asking Wolf to be that player.

I also know that every CBB values pieces that defend 1 to 5 and plenty of rosters in CBB have pieces like that.....Illinois has Coleman Hawkins, Sparty has players, Illinois has athletes, as do a bunch of other successful CBB programs.

To me, last year, the staff took way too long to plug Simpson into the lineup and give RU offense, to offset Mag going down....Keep in mind we had Caleb and Cliff already on the floor as elite defenders. The team needed offense.

Right now, do I think being 2nd in defense and 300+ in offense makes sense?? I don't but we probably wouldn't be 300th if JWill played all season. And we won't be 300th, if Mag scores and defends. Mag scoring brings him into discussions as a more complete player like Coleman Hawkins and lots of others.

My last point is to keep in mind, the staff has recruited 2 very similar athletes and players like Mag in 2024. Will these 2 players ask for or require a ton of NIL money as freshman...?? I wouldn't intentionally ignore the staff "covering themselves", by having options with the same traits and skills that Mag brings to the table. Obviously you want each player to stay, and not lose the experience factor. I'd rather have Mag, Bailey, Dortch and Dylan Grant all on next year's roster, but in today's NIL environment, you have to protect yourself as well.

What exactly is your point? We had 3 great defenders on last year’s team that made it special. Nobody said it was only Mag - it was that losing any one of them (Mag included) was a problem. There is no way we lose the Temple game if Caleb was available for example. No doubt if we didn’t have Cliff for game that would’ve be a disaster too. We didn’t have the depth to replace any of them. That Caleb and Cliff were also very important doesn’t diminish Mag’s value in any way. As I said - I don’t understand the point you are arguing here. This year’s D is even better than last year’s - Mag is a big part of this. Nobody saying Cliff isn’t important once again too.

What exactly is your point? We had 3 great defenders on last year’s team that made it special. Nobody said it was only Mag - it was that losing any one of them (Mag included) was a problem. There is no way we lose the Temple game if Caleb was available for example. No doubt if we didn’t have Cliff for game that would’ve be a disaster too. We didn’t have the depth to replace any of them. That Caleb and Cliff were also very important doesn’t diminish Mag’s value in any way. As I said - I don’t understand the point you are arguing here. This year’s D is even better than last year’s - Mag is a big part of this. Nobody saying Cliff isn’t important once again too.
Sometimes, a poster just wants to be right no matter how ridiculous the point is.

While Mawot Mag may not be considered a typical Big Ten player due to various factors such as playing style, athleticism, and experience, his absence due to injury still had a significant impact on the Rutgers University (RU) basketball team and its chances of making it into the NCAA tournament. Despite not fitting the mold of a traditional Big Ten player, Mag's role on the team and his absence highlighted his importance to RU's overall performance.

Firstly, Mag's injury likely affected the team's depth and rotation. Even if he may not have been a star player or a primary scorer, his presence on the court provided valuable minutes and versatility to the team. His absence forced the coaching staff to make adjustments to the lineup and rotations, potentially disrupting the team's chemistry and cohesion on the court.

Secondly, Mag's skill set and contributions, although not necessarily fitting the mold of a typical Big Ten player, were still valuable to RU's success. Whether it be his defensive intensity, rebounding ability, or energy off the bench, Mag brought something unique to the team that could have made a difference in crucial moments during games.

Furthermore, the NCAA tournament committee takes into account various factors when evaluating teams for tournament selection, including injuries and overall team performance throughout the season. Mag's absence may have been a factor in RU's overall performance during the season, especially if his injury coincided with a stretch of losses or decreased team productivity.

In summary, while Mawot Mag may not fit the traditional profile of a Big Ten player, his injury and subsequent absence still had a significant impact on the Rutgers University basketball team and its chances of making it into the NCAA tournament. His contributions, whether on the court or from the sidelines, were valued by the team and could have potentially influenced the committee's decision-making process when evaluating RU's tournament resume.
Ace Bailey doesn’t fit the typical profile of a big 10 player (whatever that means). So he wouldn’t be a big 10 player?

Ace Bailey doesn’t fit the typical profile of a big 10 player (whatever that means). So he wouldn’t be a big 10 player?
Well, you see, what fans don't understand is that being a Big Ten player isn't just about having flashy stats or fitting into a specific mold. It's about embodying the grit, toughness, and physicality that define the conference's style of play. When we talk about a player like Ace Bailey, who might not fit the typical profile of a Big Ten player, it's important to look beyond superficial stereotypes. Bailey may not have the brute strength or imposing size that some expect from a Big Ten player, but that doesn't mean he can't hold his own on the court. His unique skills and contributions might not always show up in the box score, but they can be just as valuable to his team's success. So, while Bailey might not fit the mold in the traditional sense, his ability to compete and make an impact speaks volumes about what it truly means to be a Big Ten player.

Well, you see, what fans don't understand is that being a Big Ten player isn't just about having flashy stats or fitting into a specific mold. It's about embodying the grit, toughness, and physicality that define the conference's style of play. When we talk about a player like Ace Bailey, who might not fit the typical profile of a Big Ten player, it's important to look beyond superficial stereotypes. Bailey may not have the brute strength or imposing size that some expect from a Big Ten player, but that doesn't mean he can't hold his own on the court. His unique skills and contributions might not always show up in the box score, but they can be just as valuable to his team's success. So, while Bailey might not fit the mold in the traditional sense, his ability to compete and make an impact speaks volumes about what it truly means to be a Big Ten player.
LOL

Reactions: fluoxetine
Yes, because there were later opportunities to make up for those events. We lost at home to SHU and Iowa, and then the @Minny disaster. The team blew it unrelated to Mag and the OSU non-call.
Agree. I remember the Minnesota game. During the game, with Rutgers comfortably in the lead, the team was celebrating by dancing to a pop song being played on the arena intercom system. Poor form on and off the court by the players and coaches caused that loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT