ADVERTISEMENT

Willard Postgame Press Conference Today

Joking Just Kidding GIF
I got it. It was stupid waste of time.

Take your tons of words and endless paragraphs and eMail it to Williard.

Sometimes you are so obstinate. Strong people change their opinions when they are wrong. You are wrong.

I am not wrong, sorry that you don't agree. If I ranked Mag across the B1G or Power 5 conferences and placed his numbers next to others, you would be shocked or somewhat upset. RU fans are in this bubble of only watching or wanting to believe what suits them.

Do I think Kevin Willard believes what he said last night about JWill and Mag.....?? Yes I do.....BUT

I also know that he's correct AND he has to explain away losing a home game to a RU team that is currently in the bottom 4 of the B1G. It's a game that looks "bad", because like many fanbases, fans only look at their teams and believe everyone else's rosters are inept. No Maryland fan expects to see a 3-7 B1G record or RU, going into their gym and winning.

Willard is the king of excuse making, going all the way back to his Seton Hall days. It is who he is at his core. So while Mag played lights out, I have to be "objective " about his game, his entire body or work and ask myself, "is he the only player in college basketball, that can do what he does from a defensive perspective "?? The answer is NO.

Is Mag the only player on this current roster that can do what he does?? Absolutely, 1000% but it is NOT my place to immediately elevate a player to "essential" or over-inflate what they are as a basketball player.

Cliff is "essential " to what RU does and there are far fewer kids at 6'11 and can do what Cliff does. I don't think there is a shortage of 6"6 to 6'7 wings, who are willing defenders and are "inconsistent", or players who can generate their own offense. Mag did make some individual offensive plays last night, which he has not done all season. To act as if Mags game last night has happened 15 to 20 times in his career, is just not the case.

I hope you are willing to accept this explanation..... I could be like the Simpson detractors, who continue to talk about shooting percentages, instead of considering the players ability to "make plays", not just "what did they shoot tonight "??

Mag made great defensive plays. In the last 5 games I have 3 no-shows vs Illinois, Purdue and Penn State and 2 extremely effective, high level games.

If fans want to hold Simpson to a higher standard and knock him for missing too many shots, congrats....I'm not going to sit there and argue how great Simpson is. He has to play better, especially as a guard who handles the ball and is responsible for that aspect. If we are going to do that for Simpson, when do we do the same for Mag??

Fans can't ignore certain things to suit their needs. We have to base things on the entire schedule of 30+ games, not 6 or 8.

The insistence on downplaying Mag remains hilarious. He’s just a “willing defender”?? No, he’s one of the best defensive wings in the entire country and can guard 1-4. Offensively, you call him a 5th option. I’m not arguing that he doesn’t benefit from good guard play, but the guy scored 15 in a game where our guards racked up 4 assists total. He’s scored in double figures 8 out of the last 14 games. He was a crucial piece to last year’s team — is to this years team — and will be a key starter next year assuming he returns
I’m starting to believe NewJersey doesn’t understand what he’s looking at. His tales are so obviously off base.

I am not wrong, sorry that you don't agree. If I ranked Mag across the B1G or Power 5 conferences and placed his numbers next to others, you would be shocked or somewhat upset. RU fans are in this bubble of only watching or wanting to believe what suits them.

Do I think Kevin Willard believes what he said last night about JWill and Mag.....?? Yes I do.....BUT

I also know that he's correct AND he has to explain away losing a home game to a RU team that is currently in the bottom 4 of the B1G. It's a game that looks "bad", because like many fanbases, fans only look at their teams and believe everyone else's rosters are inept. No Maryland fan expects to see a 3-7 B1G record or RU, going into their gym and winning.

Willard is the king of excuse making, going all the way back to his Seton Hall days. It is who he is at his core. So while Mag played lights out, I have to be "objective " about his game, his entire body or work and ask myself, "is he the only player in college basketball, that can do what he does from a defensive perspective "?? The answer is NO.

Is Mag the only player on this current roster that can do what he does?? Absolutely, 1000% but it is NOT my place to immediately elevate a player to "essential" or over-inflate what they are as a basketball player.

Cliff is "essential " to what RU does and there are far fewer kids at 6'11 and can do what Cliff does. I don't think there is a shortage of 6"6 to 6'7 wings, who are willing defenders and are "inconsistent", or players who can generate their own offense. Mag did make some individual offensive plays last night, which he has not done all season. To act as if Mags game last night has happened 15 to 20 times in his career, is just not the case.

I hope you are willing to accept this explanation..... I could be like the Simpson detractors, who continue to talk about shooting percentages, instead of considering the players ability to "make plays", not just "what did they shoot tonight "??

Mag made great defensive plays. In the last 5 games I have 3 no-shows vs Illinois, Purdue and Penn State and 2 extremely effective, high level games.

If fans want to hold Simpson to a higher standard and knock him for missing too many shots, congrats....I'm not going to sit there and argue how great Simpson is. He has to play better, especially as a guard who handles the ball and is responsible for that aspect. If we are going to do that for Simpson, when do we do the same for Mag??

Fans can't ignore certain things to suit their needs. We have to base things on the entire schedule of 30+ games, not 6 or 8.
Wrong.

Mag laid an egg 3x in a row - TRUE. I wonder if he was hurting.

In the other seven games in 2024, he has averaged 15.1 ppg and scored at least 11 per game on 39-83 FG (.470). His 3pt shooting has really dropped off after going 8-23 in the first five games of 2024. Even with the three clunkers, he is averaging 10.8 per game in January. That's really good for a top defensive F. There are only 24 players averaging 13+ in conference-only play this year, so 10.8 cannot be too far down the rankings.

Heck - you know how many guys on our team are AVERAGING more ppg than Mag this season (in B1G play)? One - Jeremiah Williams.

How does one attend an online class during the 9-10 hours it takes to travel by from Rutgers to EWR, by plane from EWR to LAX, then by another bus from LAX to UCLA or USC, and how does one attend the next day's online class the next day doing the trip in the opposite direction?
This actually sounds like one of those math problems that I was assigned back in the day.

So in this 10 paragraph post from Hawk he has accomplished the following:

1) Admitted that Willard is correct (although Hawk is still trying to argue he’s not correct)

2) Limited his thoughts on Mag to the last 5 games (while immediately following this with telling us that we have to base things on an entire 30 games, not 6 or 8)

3) Labeled Mag as just a “willing defender”

4) Asked us all to place Mag’s numbers next to others (although in previous threads Hawk dismisses almost every other statistic that goes against his points…now he wants to talk numbers??).

5) Brought Simpson and his shooting % into the discussion (although this has nothing to do with this thread or the discussion of Mag)

This is just 5 lunatic points in 10 paragraphs written. That’s an average of 1 lunatic point for every 2 paragraph written.

It’s been said many times that:
1. Cliff is absolutely not coming back - not worth a dream.
2. We will be hitting the portal hard for a legit center- my guess is that rhe NIL movers and shakers have put aside lots of bucks for that purpose.
Or make it worthwhile for Cliff?

Mag played lights out vs Maryland but for the 100th time, he is not or was not the reason RU didn't make the NCAAs last year.

There's 30+ games in a season and players have great games, good games, so-so games and games where they don't play well at all. Mag is still a complimentary player that is slotted as the 5th scoring option on the floor. He had at least a dozen games before Michigan and Maryland to step forward and play lights out.

His play tonight and vs Michigan making plays and layups are HUGE, because RU hasn't been making layups OR shots at the basket or in the paint. No one ever questioned his willingness to hustle and defend but I can say that about a lot of the RU players. They all are willing defenders.

I do see what I see....and I see all 3 guards now getting Mag easier opportunities or layups in transition or conversions when plays need to be made. JWill, Simpson and Davis are now 3 players who are making plays and creating opportunities for Mag, Cliff and Hyatt to score. Mag, Cliff and Hyatt need to convert those plays, when presented.

It would be pretty clear (to me) that my point last year and this year in the last 2 games, that as the backcourt goes and generates plays, Mag and others benefit. It would be foolish to ignore what Jeremiah Williams and the guards have brought to the table to elevate the entire starting lineup and Mag.

Would I have changed my stance on Mag, if this type of play happened consistently in the prior dozen or so games?? 100%

Give credit to the playmakers and guards, which has been my point of view from the beginning on last years roster and this year's team as well.....it's the backcourt that is going to drive whatever success RU generates. Mag and others benefit from that and if the guards (Simpson, Davis and now JWill, with a mix in of Noah) then RU looks completely different. The backcourt with JWill is the difference folks, ignoring that would be kinda silly.
You guys were right.

Willard actually says in the presser that his team plays tight at home and that traveling to Michigan affected their energy in this game. Huh?

The MD AD may want to keep a short list of HC names ready.

Reactions: SHUSource
Here's what he said, verbatim. Wow. "They would've went to the NCAA tournament last year if Mag doesn't get hurt...he's probably the best college defender I've seen in a long, long time...I mean he covers - he blitzes pick and rolls, he switches out on pick and rolls, if you get beat he's just there....Steve's a phenomenal defensive coach, but that defense is Mag and Mag alone, I mean that dude, he's just special." Maybe Hawk should watch this...
He could've also said "they would've gone to the NCAA tournament if they didn't blow a 10 point lead in the final minute against Minnesota."

Willard actually says in the presser that his team plays tight at home and that traveling to Michigan affected their energy in this game. Huh?

The whole travel thing with him going back to the BE and SHU is strange. It sounds like it affects him more than the players. We both played in the same state, same day around the same time. They got to go home and I'm assuming we traveled from NJ again unless we went straight there.

So in this 10 paragraph post from Hawk he has accomplished the following:

1) Admitted that Willard is correct (although Hawk is still trying to argue he’s not correct)

2) Limited his thoughts on Mag to the last 5 games (while immediately following this with telling us that we have to base things on an entire 30 games, not 6 or 8)

3) Labeled Mag as just a “willing defender”

4) Asked us all to place Mag’s numbers next to others (although in previous threads Hawk dismisses almost every other statistic that goes against his points…now he wants to talk numbers??).

5) Brought Simpson and his shooting % into the discussion (although this has nothing to do with this thread or the discussion of Mag)

This is just 5 lunatic points in 10 paragraphs written. That’s an average of 1 lunatic point for every 2 paragraph written.
Willing defender made me chuckle. Mag is so good defensively and Williard didn’t say that to make excuses for his team. Mag can literally guard every player on the court. His value to our team is similar to Caleb except Mag is better offensively

Mag played lights out vs Maryland but for the 100th time, he is not or was not the reason RU didn't make the NCAAs last year.

There's 30+ games in a season and players have great games, good games, so-so games and games where they don't play well at all. Mag is still a complimentary player that is slotted as the 5th scoring option on the floor. He had at least a dozen games before Michigan and Maryland to step forward and play lights out.

His play tonight and vs Michigan making plays and layups are HUGE, because RU hasn't been making layups OR shots at the basket or in the paint. No one ever questioned his willingness to hustle and defend but I can say that about a lot of the RU players. They all are willing defenders.

I do see what I see....and I see all 3 guards now getting Mag easier opportunities or layups in transition or conversions when plays need to be made. JWill, Simpson and Davis are now 3 players who are making plays and creating opportunities for Mag, Cliff and Hyatt to score. Mag, Cliff and Hyatt need to convert those plays, when presented.

It would be pretty clear (to me) that my point last year and this year in the last 2 games, that as the backcourt goes and generates plays, Mag and others benefit. It would be foolish to ignore what Jeremiah Williams and the guards have brought to the table to elevate the entire starting lineup and Mag.

Would I have changed my stance on Mag, if this type of play happened consistently in the prior dozen or so games?? 100%

Give credit to the playmakers and guards, which has been my point of view from the beginning on last years roster and this year's team as well.....it's the backcourt that is going to drive whatever success RU generates. Mag and others benefit from that and if the guards (Simpson, Davis and now JWill, with a mix in of Noah) then RU looks completely different. The backcourt with JWill is the difference folks, ignoring that would be kinda silly.
Hawk, if you asked every B1G coach whether they would want Mawot Mag on their team, how many would say, “Nah, we’re good.” The answer is zero.

And, for how many of the other B1G teams would Mag be either a starter or their 6th man? The answer is all of them.

That is not only the definition of a Big Ten player, but a very important Big Ten player. Arguably a generational defender (we’ve been fortunate to have two of them).

Most would agree we were one win away from the tourney last year. Surely we would have won at least one more game had Mag not gotten hurt.

Here's what he said, verbatim. Wow. "They would've went to the NCAA tournament last year if Mag doesn't get hurt...he's probably the best college defender I've seen in a long, long time...I mean he covers - he blitzes pick and rolls, he switches out on pick and rolls, if you get beat he's just there....Steve's a phenomenal defensive coach, but that defense is Mag and Mag alone, I mean that dude, he's just special." Maybe Hawk should watch this...
Wait is he talking about our Coach Steve? Can’t be since the forums experts are always saying he sucks. Can’t recruit… did shit in the portal… 🪓

Hawk, if you asked every B1G coach whether they would want Mawot Mag on their team, how many would say, “Nah, we’re good.” The answer is zero.

And, for how many of the other B1G teams would Mag be either a starter or their 6th man? The answer is all of them.

That is not only the definition of a Big Ten player, but a very important Big Ten player. Arguably a generational defender (we’ve been fortunate to have two of them).

Most would agree we were one win away from the tourney last year. Surely we would have won at least one more game had Mag not gotten hurt.
Yeah, I'm thinking there's no way we lose at Minn if Mag is playing. One more rebound or basket and we win. And if we won, we go dancing 3rd year in a row.

You're just seriously wrong on Mag and last year - there is zero doubt in anyone's mind (including Pike) that we make the tourney last year with Mag. Just give it up. 8 paragraphs don't save you here.

Wait, did you ever watch Kung Fu?? I haven't even seen it on TV since maybe the early 80s.
I don't think so. I think the reference must have slipped through into some newer stuff. Not sure where I heard it lol.

You're just seriously wrong on Mag and last year - there is zero doubt in anyone's mind (including Pike) that we make the tourney last year with Mag. Just give it up. 8 paragraphs don't save you here.
Don't worry, he's releasing all of this in ebook form at the end of the season.

Hawk,

Just take the “L” on Mag and move on. You just had an opposing P5 Coach say there’s not too many Mags defensively out there.

GO RU

Willing defender made me chuckle. Mag is so good defensively and Williard didn’t say that to make excuses for his team. Mag can literally guard every player on the court. His value to our team is similar to Caleb except Mag is better offensively
Oskar is a willing defender. Calling Mag a willing defender is extremely insulting and a word choice only used if you're trying to downplay his value and push an agenda

His list starts and stops with USC's coach who accepted the job verbally prior to Willard being hired. He was going to sign the contracts after a game against UCLA in Westwood. The SC AD caught wind of it and hightailed it over to the hotel with a contract in hand that that Enfield couldn't refuse.

Wouldn't be surprised if that next go around Enfield officially accepts now that they are in the same conference. He covets that job being from Pa.

Willard definitely wasn't his first choice.

Reactions: Knightmoves
If he isn't a Big 10 player, explain why the NCAA tournament committee considered his injury and being out a major factor in deciding if RU got in the tourney or not.
While Mawot Mag may not be considered a typical Big Ten player due to various factors such as playing style, athleticism, and experience, his absence due to injury still had a significant impact on the Rutgers University (RU) basketball team and its chances of making it into the NCAA tournament. Despite not fitting the mold of a traditional Big Ten player, Mag's role on the team and his absence highlighted his importance to RU's overall performance.

Firstly, Mag's injury likely affected the team's depth and rotation. Even if he may not have been a star player or a primary scorer, his presence on the court provided valuable minutes and versatility to the team. His absence forced the coaching staff to make adjustments to the lineup and rotations, potentially disrupting the team's chemistry and cohesion on the court.

Secondly, Mag's skill set and contributions, although not necessarily fitting the mold of a typical Big Ten player, were still valuable to RU's success. Whether it be his defensive intensity, rebounding ability, or energy off the bench, Mag brought something unique to the team that could have made a difference in crucial moments during games.

Furthermore, the NCAA tournament committee takes into account various factors when evaluating teams for tournament selection, including injuries and overall team performance throughout the season. Mag's absence may have been a factor in RU's overall performance during the season, especially if his injury coincided with a stretch of losses or decreased team productivity.

In summary, while Mawot Mag may not fit the traditional profile of a Big Ten player, his injury and subsequent absence still had a significant impact on the Rutgers University basketball team and its chances of making it into the NCAA tournament. His contributions, whether on the court or from the sidelines, were valued by the team and could have potentially influenced the committee's decision-making process when evaluating RU's tournament resume.

Mawot Mag, while undoubtedly possessing certain skills and attributes on the basketball court, may not be considered a Big Ten player due to several key factors. Firstly, Mag's playing style and skill set may not align with the typical requirements and demands of the Big Ten conference. Secondly, his physical attributes and athleticism may not be at the level required to compete at the highest level within the Big Ten. Additionally, Mag's experience and track record in high-level competition may not be sufficient to thrive in the rigorous environment of the Big Ten. Finally, the level of competition within the Big Ten conference itself presents a significant challenge that may prove to be too formidable for Mag to overcome.

One reason why Mawot Mag may not be considered a Big Ten player is his playing style and skill set. The Big Ten conference is known for its physicality, defensive prowess, and emphasis on fundamental basketball. If Mag's strengths lie in areas such as finesse, perimeter shooting, or playmaking rather than in physicality, rebounding, and defense, he may struggle to make a significant impact in the Big Ten.

Another factor to consider is Mag's physical attributes and athleticism. The Big Ten conference is home to some of the most athletically gifted and physically imposing players in college basketball. If Mag lacks the size, strength, or athleticism to compete with these players, he may find himself overmatched and unable to assert himself effectively on the court.

Furthermore, Mag's experience and track record in high-level competition may not be extensive enough to prepare him for the rigors of the Big Ten. Players who excel in the Big Ten typically have a history of success in elite high school or AAU programs, as well as experience competing against top-tier competition. If Mag lacks this background, he may struggle to adapt to the heightened intensity and pressure of Big Ten basketball.

Lastly, the level of competition within the Big Ten conference itself presents a significant challenge. With perennial powerhouse programs such as Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State, as well as up-and-coming teams like Iowa and Illinois, the Big Ten is widely regarded as one of the toughest conferences in college basketball. If Mag is unable to consistently perform at a high level against this caliber of competition, it may be difficult for him to establish himself as a Big Ten player.

In conclusion, while Mawot Mag may possess certain skills and talents on the basketball court, there are several factors that may prevent him from being considered a Big Ten player. His playing style and skill set, physical attributes and athleticism, experience and track record, and the level of competition within the Big Ten all pose significant challenges that may prove to be insurmountable for Mag. Ultimately, whether or not Mag can overcome these obstacles and establish himself as a Big Ten player remains to be seen.
Next time ask them to write it with a mansplaining tone. And I need it to say somewhere "What fans don't realize is..."

The last defensive possession was a work of art. Really impressive design by pike and execution by mag and co.

I love seeing Mag get this type of recognition. He seems like such a great program guy. Especially considering his injuries and waiting his turn as an underclassman. I’ll trust Willard’s and pikes opinion on him.

Mag laid an egg 3x in a row - TRUE. I wonder if he was hurting.

In the other seven games in 2024, he has averaged 15.1 ppg and scored at least 11 per game on 39-83 FG (.470). His 3pt shooting has really dropped off after going 8-23 in the first five games of 2024. Even with the three clunkers, he is averaging 10.8 per game in January. That's really good for a top defensive F. There are only 24 players averaging 13+ in conference-only play this year, so 10.8 cannot be too far down the rankings.

Heck - you know how many guys on our team are AVERAGING more ppg than Mag this season (in B1G play)? One - Jeremiah Williams.
To this point — Mag’s median offensive rating this year is 105 vs. an average of like 92.5. Really severe outliers in that potentially injured stretch, but otherwise 105 makes him a stellar player when paired with his defense.

I’m also not sure if per-game O Rating is adjusted for opponent on KenPom, if not that makes Mag even more impressive

Reactions: Scangg
Oskar is a willing defender. Calling Mag a willing defender is extremely insulting and a word choice only used if you're trying to downplay his value and push an agenda
Oskar is not a willing defender but I get your point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT