ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt qbr

billhilf

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2007
Englishtown
Coming into today Gavin Wimsatt had the 32nd best qbr in all of college football (I imagine it went up after today). He’s 3 behind penn state qb and 4 behind Maryland. He had the 5th best qbr in the big ten.

Is it possible we are underrating/ not appreciating enough what wimsatt has done so far this year (especially as a 19 year old). I know the passing numbers aren’t there, but to have a qbr like that in the big ten is pretty damn impressive.

Coming into today Gavin Wimsatt had the 32nd best qbr in all of college football (I imagine it went up after today). He’s 3 behind penn state qb and 4 behind Maryland. He had the 5th best qbr in the big ten.

Is it possible we are underrating/ not appreciating enough what wimsatt has done so far this year (especially as a 19 year old). I know the passing numbers aren’t there, but to have a qbr like that in the big ten is pretty damn impressive.
Not all that sold on Allar at PSU. He looked bad today against NW.

RU is in bottom 10 for passing out of 133 teams
Out of 100 QBs Wimsatt isn't even in the data
He's young and he isn't throwing INTs all over the place but he's not chasing the Heisman any time soon

yup
we discussed this last week but few here understand it.

anything to claim a victory for the battered and bruised RU fan

Reactions: Zimm80 and ashokan
Go lick Prime's sack or something. FFS you are insufferable.
no what is insufferable is people like you licking the nut sack of any stat that shows us as being better than the tallest midget at the ball. Any literate person understands what he posted and recognizes the folly in promoting qbr for a kid that doesn't throw enought to be accurately measured nor throws well when he does. His balls looked slow and sloppy today

no what is insufferable is people like you licking the nut sack of any stat that shows us as being better than the tallest midget at the ball. Any literate person understands what he posted and recognizes the folly in promoting qbr for a kid that doesn't throw enought to be accurately measured nor throws well when he does. His balls looked slow and sloppy today
Ok so qbr is a meaningless stat to you? Seems like a decent measure of value to me. Not saying he’s lighting it up or even playing great, but in my eyes he’s the best qb RU has had in quite some time (and I know the bar is low). Instead of trashing the kid, can’t we be happy he’s having success? I guess some people can’t..

this
he's not as accurate as we need and who are we kidding; he doesn't start over any BIG starting qb.
The receivers aren't running good routes at Rutgers from what I see...have a hard time separating...also would like to see the coaches roll him out more, as times goes on this year I'm thinking the offense progresses...he does need to clean up his accuracy on some of the throws but that will come with repetition. Also would like to see him use his legs more feel like he doesn't take off enough. This is the best looking sophomore QB I've seen at Rutgers...even better when you think Abt him only being 19...best QB I've seen at Rutgers in general besides nova and teel..

Reactions: FoxRU
He's young and he isn't throwing INTs all over the place but he's not chasing the Heisman any time soon

He's a handoff machine and throws to the sidelines while running once in awhile. I actually think he has a more to offer but clearly the staff values conservative play above all else.

Did you watch the Iowa Michigan state game? You would take their qbs over Gavin? Indianas? This is an absurd statement.
iowa qb got injured, backup played almost whole game. the starter is better. MSU QB Kim is a better passer than Wimsatt, yes. Havent seen the IU Qb.

Gavin wont win any games for us passing. Whether he just isnt a a capable Big10 QB or Schiano wont let him throw anywhere but the safest, low risk routes doesnt matter. If we cant run we wont win. Period.

His qbr is meaningless.

Passing yds. is a horrible way to rank QB’s. Look at Kim he’s ranked at #63 or EJ Warner at #37. Both throwing for well over 200 yds. but throwing picks all over the place to lose games. While each has only thrown 1 or 2 more TD’s.

Also our QB adds the added dimension of running those two suck at it. He’s rushed for 4 TD’s to their 0. Wimsatt excels at the intangibles. Stuff that doesn’t show up on the stat sheet but wins you games. Like not taking sacks and throwing it away or buying time.

Last edited:
iowa qb got injured, backup played almost whole game. the starter is better. MSU QB Kim is a better passer than Wimsatt, yes. Havent seen the IU Qb.
Kim? Are you serious? Have you seen him play? He’s a turnover machine that feasted on C. Michigan and Richmond to get gaudy stats. He’s now thrown 6 Td’s and 6 Int. that’s Noah Vedral sh*t

Gavin wont win any games for us passing. Whether he just isnt a a capable Big10 QB or Schiano wont let him throw anywhere but the safest, low risk routes doesnt matter. If we cant run we wont win. Period.

His qbr is meaningless.
Lol are you serious about Kim? Dude had 1 TD and 6 INTs against P5 opponents.

I think the board will appreciate Gavin Wimsatt . Patience and direction to detail is showing up. Keep him clean and standing upright. Kyle Ciarrocca, Brock and Flaherty can make this offense quite good over the next 7 games.

The receivers aren't running good routes at Rutgers from what I see...have a hard time separating...also would like to see the coaches roll him out more, as times goes on this year I'm thinking the offense progresses...he does need to clean up his accuracy on some of the throws but that will come with repetition. Also would like to see him use his legs more feel like he doesn't take off enough. This is the best looking sophomore QB I've seen at Rutgers...even better when you think Abt him only being 19...best QB I've seen at Rutgers in general besides nova and teel..
Then you aren’t paying attention. Early on yes but I think you will see an uptick in route running. There is quite a bit of wr talent just starting to play and contribute . Added size, speed and ability to actually hold onto the ball.Gavin is the best as a 19 year old soph. Savage was great but due to a porous inexperienced o line and a well known QB controversy caused him to leave. His father really gave him bad advice. Had he stayed I believe Savage would have been All Big East.

Last edited:

Yes we r because of the narrative that was out there all summer. Also underrating his ability to avoid sacks.

I've been happy with his play. He's developing. I'm seeing lots of well covered receivers. Not sure if due to him staring receivers down, receivers not able to get open and/or to a basic play design.

Reactions: ashokan

Not impressed by stats comparisons like this
I hope he gets more accurate and can look off the primary receiver if well covered
He has time

He's a handoff machine and throws to the sidelines while running once in awhile. I actually think he has a more to offer but clearly the staff values conservative play above all else.

I can see GW has gotten better.
But if you're passing game is in the very bottom of P5 and your QB isn't even listed in the first 100 QBs its fair to say nobody fears RU passing - except Schiano.

RU played a tomato today and only 147 yds passing and one TD? Should have had that in the first half. Geez take the braces off the 4* Greg. Kick the eaglet out of the nest and let him fly - spread the wings. I know RU ran well but give player a chance to get out of the bubble wrap. Its like a big kid on the block with a mom that wont let him ride his bike past the corner. Hard to remember Greg was the guy letting Nova throw into triple coverage for INTs in bushels

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Ok so qbr is a meaningless stat to you? Seems like a decent measure of value to me. Not saying he’s lighting it up or even playing great, but in my eyes he’s the best qb RU has had in quite some time (and I know the bar is low). Instead of trashing the kid, can’t we be happy he’s having success? I guess some people can’t..
If you are sold so much on qbr then why is Ajani Sheppard not starting over him? 89 vs 71 yesterday.

With the type of running game and D that we have, we can win at least half the games on our schedule just leaning on those two things. All Gavin has to do is run the O, mistake free. And btw, how many rushing yards and TDs does he have? He’s certainly contributing.

If you are sold so much on qbr then why is Ajani Sheppard not starting over him? 89 vs 71 yesterday.
My guess is you are trying to make a point that qbr can be misleading. It’s a fair point, but obviously you can’t really put any weight on a rating of someone who threw two passes. It’s like judging a hitter who has two at bats. Sheppard very well could turn out to be great and I hope he is.

I guess my original point is that Gavin is much better than many on this board give him credit for. So many comments make it seem like people think he’s having a season like Zach Wilson, Art, or Laviano. After seeing subpar qb play for what feels like an eternity, I am appreciating what a 19 year old wimsatt has given us so far this season. Honestly, I think most outside analysts would agree.

His qbr is meaningless.
Even Iowas original starter was not impressive :

• YDS
  • TD
  • INT
  • QBR

How is that better than Gavin? And don’t say well he played penn state, because Gavin played Michigan.

My guess is you are trying to make a point that qbr can be misleading. It’s a fair point, but obviously you can’t really put any weight on a rating of someone who threw two passes. It’s like judging a hitter who has two at bats. Sheppard very well could turn out to be great and I hope he is.

I guess my original point is that Gavin is much better than many on this board give him credit for. So many comments make it seem like people think he’s having a season like Zach Wilson, Art, or Laviano. After seeing subpar qb play for what feels like an eternity, I am appreciating what a 19 year old wimsatt has given us so far this season. Honestly, I think most outside analysts would agree.
I think you are making a lot up about what is being said on here and you are using the qbr to prop him up. I don't see any harsh criticism about GW as much as your making it out to be. There is nothing wrong him being a good game manager but the criticism of him not being accurate enough is warranted. He certainly is improved over last year but he is not a great passer in games. I'm very happy Rutgers is 4-1 and Gavin is a big part of that but stop using the qbr to try to say he is one of the top QBs in the country . We all are watching the games.

Last edited:
hahaha, Knight Shift is triggered.

Lax boy, nice burn high school hero who never played a D1 sport.
Did you even watch the game or understand football, or are you still too busy crying over how Schiano cut the budget for your team for a sport that makes very little for the University? Your act is tired.

I think you are making a lot up about what is being said on here and you are using the qbr to prop him up. I don't see any harsh criticism about GW as much as your making it out to be. There is nothing wrong him being a
True it may only be a handful of people who are criticizing him harshly. I would love to see his pass numbers and accuracy improve, but he has shown tremendous improvement overall.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It’s all coaching. His play is designed to be like that. 150 passing and 75 rushing. That’s all they need to win 6 games. I’m actually impressed about how the coaches live in reality and our being realist about their football team. Bowl game is the only goal.

I think you are making a lot up about what is being said on here and you are using the qbr to prop him up. I don't see any harsh criticism about GW as much as your making it out to be. There is nothing wrong him being a good game manager but the criticism of him not being accurate enough is warranted. He certainly is improved over last year but he is not a great passer in games. I'm very happy Rutgers is 4-1 and Gavin is a big part of that but stop using the qbr to try to say he is one of the top QBs in the country . We all are watching the games.

Well said. But the criticisms of our coaches should stop. The accuracy issues explain why we’re playing this style and it should be kudos for the staff for molding Gavin into a respectable game manager to give us a chance. Anyone who thinks Schiano is holding this team back by making it so Gavin doesn’t throw the ball a lot more has unrealistic views on where Gavin is at in his progression. He’s matured a lot and hs vastly improved his decision making. If we green lighted him to take many more shots down the middle our record would probably not be 4-1.

Reactions: WhiteBus

WB's point was ridiculous given the statistically tiny sample size, which is why the QBR rating table has the following disclaimer: "To qualify, a player must play a minimum of 20 action plays per team game.". Anyone who can't see that Wimsatt has improved from terrible last year to at least decent this year simply isn't watching very closely.

Sure QBR has some flaws, but it does take into account rushing performance and sack avoidance, which Gavin has been quite good at (he's #1 in the NCAA at the "sack" rating element), so it's a more complete stat than passer rating (his "pass" element rating is #62, which sounds about right).

Having said all that, I agree with some others that I would've liked to see Gavin being turned loose a bit more yesterday, as the game was never going to be in question and perhaps he could've gotten more valuable experience with more throws.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/sort/qbr/dir/desc

Reactions: sct1111
I’m not sure what some are expecting here. The offensive footprint is clearly no turnovers, run the ball, and mix in a couple throws to keep the defense honest. The receiver room was already questionable and now 2 are out.
Through five games in 2019, the final year before Schiano got here, we were 1-4 and outscored 181-71. In 2018, 1-4, outscored 180-82

In year four, we find ourselves at 4-1, having outscored opponents 154-64.

I feel sad for anyone unhappy, at this point but could care less about what they have to say. It's meaningless drivel by people with expectations that are wildly disconnected from the reality of this situation.

Proud of the team, the program and all involved. They've worked hard and are getting results. QB1 has made huge strides and will keep pushing to get better and better.

Sorry Kim is not that good, give me a break. Also two more receivers are going to play with Jesse and Toure.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT