ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt story on NJ.com

RUHouston

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2009
Flower Mound, TX
Behind paywall but if using Chrome add the following to the URL to read: ?outputType=amp

I will excerpt something here for @kyk1827 since he's such a fan of GW (LOL) I'd say coming from McMahon this isn't too shabby praise:

When former Rutgers quarterback Mike McMahon met Wimsatt during a visit last spring, he was not entirely sure he was speaking to the right person.

“I was, like, ‘This kid has got to be a tight end,’” McMahon said.

After spending a day with the Scarlet Knights at a spring practice in April, McMahon was gobsmacked by Wimsatt’s “cannon” arm that throws “missiles,” his quickness when he scrambles — Wimsatt revealed he runs a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash — and his intelligence in the meeting rooms.

In McMahon’s eyes, Wimsatt has everything it takes to be “a first-round draft pick” if he makes steady progress. McMahon should know: he was the first Rutgers quarterback to be drafted and remains the highest-picked of the bunch.

“He’s going to have his bumps and bruises, but if Coach Ciarrocca can get Gavin to get that mental aspect of the game and make smart decisions, he could be the guy that makes Rutgers turn the corner because he’s so athletic and so quick and mobile,” McMahon said. “He’s not going to have everything perfect. He’s going to have ups and downs, but if he can continue to improve week to week, he can be extremely successful and be a great quarterback for Rutgers and for the NFL.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News