ADVERTISEMENT

Worst. Officiating. Ever.

As usual the tall male refs try to give our games to the other team. But as usual this year, we grab it right back!! I’d love after one game for us to just throw it in the refs faces and then a Cviv requests not to get those refs again which you’re allowed to do

Get use to it ...We’re leading the conference, so especially the four games on the road, with this team shooting for our first Big Ten title in any sport regular season or postseason, do not expect to get calls going our way ...so just adjust and hope the team plays its best, night in and night out, and gets this thing done regardless!

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Officials from the Box Score

Steratore made most of the bad calls. We’ve had Pethel before this season.

REFEREES
Nykesha Thompson,Kevin Pethel,Frank Steratore

REFEREES
Steratore has been around since the oBE days, IIRC. I think, but am not certain, that he is related to the former NFL official Gene Steratore (who does men's BB in the B1G, or at least did).

REFEREES
We've actually have had all three officials before with Thompson one of the better ones. Pethel has been bad before worse than Steratore. But his name kept coming up on the audio-cast, which pissed me off.

For those new to women's college basketball, the officiating is atrocious. It actually makes men's college BB officiating look fair and impartial.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
But, our defense is going to push the barriers too. Sometimes, really good steals look too good to not be a foul. If these refs are just not used to seeing this, you get called.
The mens BB is just more accomplished across the board and the refs are better prepared to see good defense.

And this is a perfect example game of how you can have bad officiating, but it not show up in the box score for fouls/free throws. We were ahead in the foul disparity by 3, and ahead in free throws by 14... but that doesn't necessarily mean the officiating was in our favor.

I wasn't able to watch or listen to the game, but I kept checking in on the ESPN game tracker and a bit on the game thread. I saw that four of the Indiana players had 4 fouls but didn't foul out.... and with a lot of time left, two of them had 4 fouls. Even without watching, though, I felt it was unlikely that the refs would actually pull the trigger to foul them out with their short bench.

With a few minutes remaining and a close score, I knew it would be a coin flip - any close game is anyone's guess with women's college basketball officiating. It's really terrible and painful to watch - and yes, makes the men's officiating look like seasoned professionals vs. amateur hour.

These officials would have been booed at a CYO game, which is the level they deserve to be officiating at!

Reactions: ScarletDave
for those at the game, what was the deal with the taunting technicals...in the post game CVS said first of all they were not taunting they were doing what usually is done and she said the team should not have to worry about being called for stuff like that. The first was for clapping which CVS says Tbaby was it? does all the time, second won was just jumping up and celebrating after making a play.

I posted this on FB, and think it pretty much answers your question, Bac:
I love the team and saw the post-game press conference. While it’s nice that CVS is defending her players, after watching the replay of the game I think both technicals were justified as the rules are stated. I’m a big fan of T-Mack’s energy and she wears her emotions on her sleeve, but her enthusiasm after scoring this particular basket resulted in her clapping in the face of the Indiana player taking the ball out. If she had not been directly facing the player it wouldn’t have been taunting, but she was. With the case of Charise, it was similar. After we scored at the very end of the 3rd quarter she was excited and clapped a couple of times but, like with T-Mack, she was doing it while facing an Indiana player who was very close by. That’s four points that could’ve proved crucial in a close game. I don’t want the players to keep everything in, but celebrate with your teammates and not in the face of the opposing team. With that said, I think the officials made some terrible calls and also missed some crucial calls.

Reactions: bac2therac
I posted this on FB, and think it pretty much answers your question, Bac:
I love the team and saw the post-game press conference. While it’s nice that CVS is defending her players, after watching the replay of the game I think both technicals were justified as the rules are stated. I’m a big fan of T-Mack’s energy and she wears her emotions on her sleeve, but her enthusiasm after scoring this particular basket resulted in her clapping in the face of the Indiana player taking the ball out. If she had not been directly facing the player it wouldn’t have been taunting, but she was. With the case of Charise, it was similar. After we scored at the very end of the 3rd quarter she was excited and clapped a couple of times but, like with T-Mack, she was doing it while facing an Indiana player who was very close by. That’s four points that could’ve proved crucial in a close game. I don’t want the players to keep everything in, but celebrate with your teammates and not in the face of the opposing team. With that said, I think the officials made some terrible calls and also missed some crucial calls.
I have to disagree with you on the judgement used by the official on calling these technicals - especially the 2nd one on Wilson at the end of the 3rd quarter. KK Sanders had jumped up off the bench in excitement to congratulate Wilson and Charise was clapping at her, not at any Indiana player. There was one Indiana player that was still in the area in front of the RU bench making her way back to the IU bench and the official who made the call was all the way across the court at midcourt (directly in front of our seats) when he made that call. He thought he saw something that did not actually happen. As for calling Mack for what she did, that call would not have been made by a lot of officials in the women's game and definitely not in the men's, although I will give him more leeway with that call than the second T. I think he should have just warned her though instead of calling the T, just like they did with the IU assistant coach that kept going out on the floor. I watched the Louisville / Uconn game when I got home and saw Louisville players - Jazmine Jones in particular - celebrating on good plays right in the face of the Uconn players saying things and making gestures even more emphatic than Mack, with no calls or even warnings by the refs. They understood that the player was just really excited that they were playing well enough to beat Uconn, not taunting their opponent. Our players were just trying to get themselves fired up after falling so far behind.

Reactions: TRU2RU
My biggest complaint about the officiating last night had to do with several plays that could have been either charges or blocks and all seemed to go in Indiana's favor. I think 2 of them involved CC. In one case she was called for a charge that IMO should have been either a block or a no-call. On another play she was called for a block that could have been a charge. (I don't have the benefit of a replay to go back and review, but that's what I can remember.)

Reactions: TRU2RU
My biggest complaint about the officiating last night had to do with several plays that could have been either charges or blocks and all seemed to go in Indiana's favor. I think 2 of them involved CC. In one case she was called for a charge that IMO should have been either a block or a no-call. On another play she was called for a block that could have been a charge. (I don't have the benefit of a replay to go back and review, but that's what I can remember.)
Yes you are correct. Those calls were made one right after the other and CC was the one who got called for the foul in both cases. I didn't agree with either of those calls, but I thought the technicals called were worse. In any case, not the best crew of officials.

dmd78, Do you have BTN+?? You can watch both the men's, and WBB games whenever you feel like it. I think I pay 9.99 a month, and cancel in March.

dmd78, Do you have BTN+?? You can watch both the men's, and WBB games whenever you feel like it. I think I pay 9.99 a month, and cancel in March.
I do have it. But it’s not like having it recorded on the DVR, where I can quickly fast forward to whatever part of the game I’m looking for.

Only 4 of the other 13 Big 10 teams have made more free throws than Rutgers in Big10 Conference games.
And RU has the 2nd best free throw shooting percentage in the Conference!

Fouls and Free Throws are working out well for Rutgers ! Thank you Big 10 Officials and Hall of Fame Coach Stringer !

https://bigten.org/confstats.aspx/2018-19/wbb/confonly

I do have it. But it’s not like having it recorded on the DVR, where I can quickly fast forward to whatever part of the game I’m looking for.
I guess I am not understanding things(very possible).

Yes you can, by dragging with the cursor at the bottom of the screen to where ever you want in the game
I usually chromecast the broadcast from either my phone or tablet to the 46” television (so that I can actually SEE it lol). That removes most of the relevant controls. Even when watching directly on the tablet, I find the controls on BTN2Go flaky. Example, if I try to pause it, I usually have to restart the broadcast to get back to where I was. Anyway, for the purpose of going back and seeing a couple of specific plays and how they were officiated, it just wasn’t worth the trouble to use the app.

So the refs completely miss the baseline out of bounds on one end but don’t call a foul on ours

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT