ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling news

Kui and Glasgow are visiting 10/8 I know. Kui is our top guy. Glasgow reminds me of Winston--a man among boys in high school and will the boys catch up to him when they are men in college? At 165 it will be Parfumi and Grello battling it out most likely. At 197 it will be Messner, Kyle K and Mulligan most likely and Correnti if he can get down there. At 285 Normandia and Gross with MacDonald.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Kui and Glasgow are visiting 10/8 I know. Kui is our top guy. Glasgow reminds me of Winston--a man among boys in high school and will the boys catch up to him when they are men in college? At 165 it will be Parfumi and Grello battling it out most likely. At 197 it will be Messner, Kyle K and Mulligan most likely and Correnti if he can get down there. At 285 Normandia and Gross with MacDonald.
To be honest Kui is great but with both Mulligan and possibly Correnti at 197 in the future doesn't make sense to me. Unless Kui plans on wrestling 184 in college. Pretty sure he is going 195 this season.

Reactions: belushijo
Kui has Ivy options, including Harvard I believe, so that is always a difficult battle.

RU basically down to 3 recruits with offers and faces hurdles with each.

Kui has Ivy options, including Harvard I believe, so that is always a difficult battle.

RU basically down to 3 recruits with offers and faces hurdles with each.
Kui also has a brother wrestling for Columbia and with Tanelli now as head coach got to think he is going to bring some Jersey guys up there. I believe Glasgow will end up at Rutgers.

Dice what about your guy ZT? He still interested in RU?

Kui also has a brother wrestling for Columbia and with Tanelli now as head coach got to think he is going to bring some Jersey guys up there. I believe Glasgow will end up at Rutgers.

Dice what about your guy ZT? He still interested in RU?

Yes, very interested but the process is ongoing. Visited for the New Mexico game. Had a visit to another school last weekend and a coach coming in this upcoming week to make an in-home visit - and probably a pitch for a visit.

He's one of the 3 I mentioned. Probably looking at an early November decision. There are so many factors at play - finances, major, distance, etc - everything coming into focus this month. As a RU grad, I wish I could be rooting more for Rutgers, but what is ultimately best for him is what I want. His other options have their merits also and he has to make a decision with the long view in mind. That said, visit went great and he really feels good about RU. If he ends up at RU everyone will be very happy.

Got a couple of events coming up - Journeymen, Super32, a dual event at BECA this month and hopefully will be rounding into form sometime soon. Took a couple significant breaks this offseason which was needed. Last couple of years he competed straight through with no breaks - his choice, it's very difficult to keep him away from the mats - and it really took it's toll healthwise by the end of the year last year. I think he was so close his soph year that he just wanted to keep ramping it up. Not always the best thing and hopefully this year will turn out better at the end because he deserves it.

Yes, very interested but the process is ongoing. Visited for the New Mexico game. Had a visit to another school last weekend and a coach coming in this upcoming week to make an in-home visit - and probably a pitch for a visit.

He's one of the 3 I mentioned. Probably looking at an early November decision. There are so many factors at play - finances, major, distance, etc - everything coming into focus this month. As a RU grad, I wish I could be rooting more for Rutgers, but what is ultimately best for him is what I want. His other options have their merits also and he has to make a decision with the long view in mind. That said, visit went great and he really feels good about RU. If he ends up at RU everyone will be very happy.

Got a couple of events coming up - Journeymen, Super32, a dual event at BECA this month and hopefully will be rounding into form sometime soon. Took a couple significant breaks this offseason which was needed. Last couple of years he competed straight through with no breaks - his choice, it's very difficult to keep him away from the mats - and it really took it's toll healthwise by the end of the year last year. I think he was so close his soph year that he just wanted to keep ramping it up. Not always the best thing and hopefully this year will turn out better at the end because he deserves it.
Thanks for the update Dice. Appreciate you adding to our forum.

One update I think I'll ask about pretty much every day is HWT.

We've got two former football players (Gross and McD), I believe. Then we have Correnti. (That doesn't even include Normandia who has a bunch of college experience that the others don't.)

Is Gross adapting well to the college scene? Is he a viable option there? Does he have enough time before the season to continue to get in wrestling shape?

Is Correnti looking at 197 or HWT? AND FOR THE 1,000,000th TIME, why is there no 215 in college? Ugh.

Thanks for the update Dice. Appreciate you adding to our forum.

No problem. As a PA resident, never was a big RU wrestling fan after college (long time ago), even in college (knew a couple of the wrestlers).

-EDIT- I shouldn't have said "never was a big fan." Should have said, being a recent HS grad, I didn't pay much attention to college wrestling as i was more interested in my HS and then my brothers wrestling at my HS. After college, didn't pay much attention to much except my kids wrestling and again the high school scene. About 10 years ago, started following college wrestling with kids I know moving onto that scene and reconnecting with some buddies from HS who went on to wrestle in college. - EDIT-

But since entry in the B1G, I've become a fan. Fan support is great, there is great potential in the program. I think they are on the cusp of some really good things - next few years will have a chance to solidify the program as a consistent top 10-15 type of program. After that is a chance to make the next - and harder - leap.

Hoping to be making the trek up to New Brunswick a lot in the coming years. But as I said above, I'll be happy either way. And either way I'll be rooting for RU success.

Last edited:
One update I think I'll ask about pretty much every day is HWT.

We've got two former football players (Gross and McD), I believe. Then we have Correnti. (That doesn't even include Normandia who has a bunch of college experience that the others don't.)

Is Gross adapting well to the college scene? Is he a viable option there? Does he have enough time before the season to continue to get in wrestling shape?

Is Correnti looking at 197 or HWT? AND FOR THE 1,000,000th TIME, why is there no 215 in college? Ugh.

I believe Correnti is CURRENTLY looking at 197. That may be subject to change in the future, but right now I believe that is what Correnti is looking at.

Reactions: belushijo
The coaching staff feels Kui is by far the best kid in NJ. Next is Nick Raimo and then Shane Griffiths.

Reactions: IsItLuck
Considering Kui, Raimo and Griffith are all in different class, I'd imagine the coaches have a plan set out to focus their attention on them at the proper time. Perhaps that's what you meant. Raimo will be one of the most sought after recruits in the country when his time comes.

Brian Courtney from PA committed to UVA over Cornell, Nebraska & UNC. Kid is a stud. I wonder why we didn't push hard to land him.

The coaching staff feels Kui is by far the best kid in NJ. Next is Nick Raimo and then Shane Griffiths.
I see Griffith as the best of those 3 & he could be a 4x state champ when all is said & done. Kui is probably #2 JMO

CtpST2CUkAAuSKc.jpg

I was checking out the above Twitter pic of the team bonding at a campfire after a day of paintball. I was trying to identify everyone when I did a double take and I realized the kid in the red sweatshirt in the middle is Tony Pafumi (I think). If I am right, he looks way different from the previous years. I remembered a recent post by Bill stating that Tony will be competing this year for the starting spot at 165 pounds. I looked at the Scarletknights.com info on Tony's wrestling career and was reminded that when he was a senior in high school he competed at 170 pounds and spent most of his college career at 184 and some at 174. Now, coming into his fifth season of college he is making a run at 165!

Whether or not Tony wins the starting spot at 165 is immaterial. He deserves a great deal of admiration and respect as a competitor and teammate. Last year Rutgers was one of three schools that sent a wrestler from every weight class to the NCAA tournament. That is a testament not only to those ten wrestlers but also to their teammates who sweated through the daily workouts and helped make them better. Tony is the type of kid every top level program needs in their wrestling room and the team is better because of him.

I find this very hard to believe Bill. I would happily place a wager that Raimo and Griffith have to be higher on the coaches list then Kui. If I'm wrong, and they don't, I have to seriously question the coaching staff's ability to judge talent. Raimo already has 4 Fargo Championships and still has 2 more years. I would seriously consider giving up my season tickets and being involved in the pin club if this is true. That is how much it would bother me if this is true.

Reactions: Passe24 and plcoolg
I find this very hard to believe Bill. I would happily place a wager that Raimo and Griffith have to be higher on the coaches list then Kui. If I'm wrong, and they don't, I have to seriously question the coaching staff's ability to judge talent. Raimo already has 4 Fargo Championships and still has 2 more years. I would seriously consider giving up my season tickets and being involved in the pin club if this is true. That is how much it would bother me if this is true.
I was having a hard time with this statement too for a variety of reasons. Didn't quite know how to respond. Mostly, I am just worried that in the process making a positive statement, it negatively reflects on kids who are being recruited but are not on the top of the supposed list.

Who is our main competition for Griffith?

Princeton. Possibly PSU. Griffith will be a very difficult pull.

I feel like Kui will be too just because Harvard is involved. Could be way off on that, don't really know anything about Kui. Just that if my kid had an opportunity to go to Harvard or Princeton, well...

Raimo is gong to be a national recruit but have heard his older brother may be at RU so that could weigh in RUs favor.

With all due respect I totally agree Raimo has got to be our TOP priority. He is every bit as good as Ashnault was at this point in his time. If they are saying they feel they can't get him here with every power house in the country going after him that's one thing but it's insanity to think he shouldn't be the top of the list. Also Shane Griffith has got to be right there as well.

Reactions: obrats
The staff loves all 3 and feels all 3 can score points in the NCAAs. They want them all and are recruiting the heck out of them.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Maybe WNG meant that Kui is our top recruit for next year. The other two are not seniors and both lost tonight at the FLO Who's # 1 event. If we include Blair, the best senior in NJ is Singletary - hands down. If we stay healthy this year, I like our chance to scores points at the NCAAs - even more than last year.

Maybe WNG meant that Kui is our top recruit for next year. The other two are not seniors and both lost tonight at the FLO Who's # 1 event. If we include Blair, the best senior in NJ is Singletary - hands down. If we stay healthy this year, I like our chance to scores points at the NCAAs - even more than last year.

Raimo is one of the best counter wrestlers in the country. But he drove me nuts today watching him down a point and not attempt much, if any offense in the third period.

Styles make matchups, and Bravo-Young's style causes a lot of issues for Nick.

WOW i think kui works out in R wrestling room, If true thats two years in a row a guy that trains with us leaves and joins another program

In regard to Stephan Glasgow, I don't believe the reason for his dominance is based primarily on his athleticism or physique. Instead, it is based on the fact that he has put more productive mat time in then the rest of his rivals. I saw him compete in junior high when his family lived in East Brunswick. He was very good but he was not the best. His dad drove his older brother and him to several different wrestling clubs around central Jersey and the shore- sometimes in the same day. He could not have been able to get through those hours if he did not love the sport. He has improved each year because of hard work and comparing Stephan to another wrestler who plateaued in college is unfair without knowing the dedication it has taken to get him to a spot where Division I teams are calling. I have no doubt that Stephan will continue his ascent while in college and I am hopeful that Rutgers is his choice.

And by the way, while everyone is familiar with the term "soccer moms", there should be a similar term for "wrestling dads". Mister Glasgow is one of the most dedicated "wrestling dads" you could meet. His dedication to transporting his sons to the best wrestling clubs in the area played a huge part in both his sons' strong finishes in the NJ High School Wrestling Tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
Agree with Griffith & Raimo, anything with Merola at Blair? Kids been a stud since grade school, used to go back and forth with SG back then. Also Gerard Angelo .. I think hes a jr this year.

I did not mean to say that Glasgow is not going to improve once he gets to college. I just made a question that "will the boys now catch up to the man-boy" that Glasgow reminds me of now. I hope he continues to improve and excel and that he comes to RU.

Mike Van Brill has really impressed me. He is one tough kid. Donner and Grello are the real deal. Brandon P looks really good. They are are going to be excellent recruits. The upper weights wrestling with Walsh and Perrotti will benefit immensely.

Here is the entire schedule:

Date Match Time (ET)
Dec. 4 Lehigh at Penn State 12 p.m.
Dec. 8 Missouri at Ohio State 7 p.m.
Dec. 11 Rutgers at Maryland 12 p.m.
Dec. 30 Midlands 8 p.m.
Jan. 6 Iowa at Michigan 7 p.m.
Jan. 8 Rutgers at Ohio State 12 p.m.
Jan. 13 Rutgers at Penn State 7 p.m.
Jan. 15 Michigan at Nebraska 2:15 p.m.
Jan. 20 Penn State at Iowa 9 p.m.
Jan. 22 Michigan at Northwestern 3 p.m.
Jan. 27 Ohio State at Iowa 8 p.m.
Jan. 29 Rutgers at Michigan State 2 p.m.
Feb. 3 Penn State at Ohio State 6 p.m.
Feb. 5 Iowa at Minnesota 12 p.m.
Feb. 10 Wisconsin at Purdue 6 p.m.
Feb. 12 Indiana at Illinois 4 p.m.

Reactions: RUpop and obrats
Here is the entire schedule:

Date Match Time (ET)
Dec. 4 Lehigh at Penn State 12 p.m.
Dec. 8 Missouri at Ohio State 7 p.m.
Dec. 11 Rutgers at Maryland 12 p.m.
Dec. 30 Midlands 8 p.m.
Jan. 6 Iowa at Michigan 7 p.m.
Jan. 8 Rutgers at Ohio State 12 p.m.
Jan. 13 Rutgers at Penn State 7 p.m.
Jan. 15 Michigan at Nebraska 2:15 p.m.
Jan. 20 Penn State at Iowa 9 p.m.
Jan. 22 Michigan at Northwestern 3 p.m.
Jan. 27 Ohio State at Iowa 8 p.m.
Jan. 29 Rutgers at Michigan State 2 p.m.
Feb. 3 Penn State at Ohio State 6 p.m.
Feb. 5 Iowa at Minnesota 12 p.m.
Feb. 10 Wisconsin at Purdue 6 p.m.
Feb. 12 Indiana at Illinois 4 p.m.
Which rounds are the Midlands being televised? Just the championship matches for each weight?

Chase Singletary (Blair) to Ohio State. 2 top 20 guys in 2 days for Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT