ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling - Recruit State Results

Mekhi Lewis looked pretty good in his match, but Michael O'Malley was a pleasure to watch as well (would love to know more about this kid's future). Gonna be a great final.

Glaskow finishes off an impressive victory with 2 more points. Showed some vulnerabilities, but his energy, quickness, and strength is just unmatched.

Bierdumpfel pins his kid and should steamroll through the finals as expected, as the top 2 seeds in the bottom bracket have already lost.

I know, I'm just going over names we've talked about a lot. Sorry to go OT in this thread, but our recruits don't wrestle every match.

I know, I'm just going over names we've talked about a lot. Sorry to go OT in this thread, but our recruits don't wrestle every match.

No problem, wasn't sure if I missed some commits. I know RU is interested in Lewis and Glagow not sure what else is developing. Chip in w the comments please.

Yeah, lots of interest in different wrestlers. Obviously guys like Suriano are going elsewhere, and he's been such a dominant wrestler, but it's still nice to watch the kid wrestle. Such a talent!

For those keeping track, boy wonder Josh McKenzie lost in the quarters to Luke Drugac of Morris Knolls (who is currently down 5-0 in his semi)

Kui having an easy time at 182, but he looks a LOT smaller than Murphy/Drugac. Must be camera angles or something. Kui should be a favorite in tomorrow's final against either of these guys.

Mulligan doing a great job hooking his kid up and riding him on top. Looking to turn him. O'Malley can't do much of anything on bottom so far!

Mulligan rides out O'Malley in the 3rd and is on to the finals! Easy match for him so far. Well, he may have let him up at the very end as a show of sportsmanship, but still.

Football Ru walk on Jim Brady up next vs P'burgs Robert Melise mat 4

Correnti (Rutgers) gets the 2 on the edge vs his guy!! Brady (Rutgers football) starts 2nd down on the other side of the bracket!

Correnti was dominating, then got caught pretty bad. Thankfully for us, that pissed him off and he was able to immediately come back for the 10-9 win!

Good news, you can watch replays of all these matches once the 285s are over! Just go to the nj.com links where the current videos are playing!

Thoughts from watching the RU commits today (only saw semis, so no comments on Donner).

Paetzell - I honestly couldn't tell that he was wrestling up a weight. This kid would run back to the circle each time and you could tell that he was in much better shape at the end of his match than his opponent. I know he struggled early on this year in the big tournaments and had his injury, so I just wonder about how much more potential this kid is going to have after (likely) his redshirt year when he gets healthy and in the right weight. His chances tomorrow are pretty good for a state title.

Van Brill - I really hope nobody takes him for granted. He's got John's grit. And more importantly he's in his proper weight class, whereas John has wrestled all over the place for us the past two years to fill in holes. I don't think this was a killer weight class this year in NJ, but he was definitely better than his opponent today (who was no slouch). He'll definitely be the underdog vs. Griffith, but he's had an incredible year so far. He's only got 2 losses in his HS career, but I believe a couple of years lost to injury ... somebody correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Grello - He didn't wrestle a dominant match early on. Seemed to be feeling out his opponent a bit, and was struggling to get in on shots. And then like that the match was over. One thing that these guys have over some of our current RU wrestlers is how technically sound they are. Whereas a Hayden Hrymack is a really funky, giraffe-like wrestler, these guys are going to be REAL steady at the top of the lineup.

Mulligan - Really was never challenged. I didn't get that good of a read on him, other than what I mentioned above in the Grello thing about just how technical he was. His opponent had no chance on getting out throughout the 3rd period when Mulligan was on top.

Correnti - He's way too small for HWT. I'm sorry, but right now, that's just how it is while he's wrestling 220. I'll continue my rant for the need for a 220 or 225 class in college. For most of two periods, his match was no different than Mulligan. Rarely challenged by his opponent. Then he got caught and was down 7-5 late in the 2nd, almost getting pinned. Some scary stuff. But what he did next just floored me. Once he got out, he just started manhandling his opponent. I hadn't seen this type of fire out of any wrestler that I watched today. Don't get me wrong. There were guys that pinned or teched their kids early. There were guys with big comebacks. But Correnti looked POSSESSED and PISSED. The refs took back two of his points, so in reality the match could have been much wider. Thankfully the match ended the way it did, because it was a battle in the 3rd. But if he carries that attacking style with him to college, watch out.

(Non-commits)

If you asked me what I want future recruits to look like, Glaskow is the one. Sure, Suriano and Bierdumpfel were the best wrestlers today, but this guy has so much quickness and strength, it's crazy. Of course it can get him in trouble, and almost did a bunch, but he was bouncing around the mat and flipping his guy all over the place. I really hope we can get this kid and a few others.

Glasgow looked impressive vs mandarino who is a defensive wrestler, and he looks strong and jacked. He takes a lot of chances but his speed gets him out of trouble. Van brill and grello both solid. Grello looked a little sluggish but he still wins.
Others. Omalley is excellent and only a soph. Same with Griffith. Bierdumpful not automatic in finals- has Cochran who he only beat 1-0 in regions. Btw bierdumpful going to Harvard.
Heard ru interested in Pena from nutley, impressed at ru camp.
Heard suriano is hyping psu to his team mates which would suck because bc has ton of talent that would hopefully pipeline to ru.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT