ADVERTISEMENT

Your tailgating set up

Piscataway

Senior
Aug 23, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
So I am in the tailgating kind of mood and I wanted to discuss our set ups and maybe what we would like to add

So my group ranges from 8 adult and 5 kids under 12 to 16 adults and no kids. All depends on the weather and the game.

We have two tents and tarpage to enclose 3/4 of the space and a propane heater for the colder games.

We use 1 or 2 small propane grills depending on the numbers. A couple of folding tables and chairs for all.

We have a flagpole, custom cornhole and we will be adding a TV/generator to the mix and probably some crockpots for new dishes.

I know this isn't much. But I have come a long way from eating a sub in the car with my pregnant wife and am proud of our group.

Go Rutgers!

When our tailgate joined MrsScrew's tailgate I learned that you're nobody without chafing racks.

Then, when we merged our... um... merged tailgate with another tailgate I learned that the secret to almost everything is bales of hay.

This year I expect to learn that there are circumstances under which Sterno and bales of hay do not readily mix.

What are the bales of hay for? Mud?

And also warmth.

I didn't get it either, but the Indiana game last year proved it. If you spread a layer of straw on the ground when it's really cold, it helps keep you warm because the straw helps to insulate you from the cold ground.

Don't think the powers that be would like that in the paved lots.

How many are in you're ever tailgating group?

I don't know if we are chaffing dish people. It's a lifestyle that I'm not comfortable with

I don't know if we are chaffing dish people. It's a lifestyle that I'm not comfortable with

We basically pitch a circus in the Blue lot. One 20' tent and two 10' tents, although we're planning to ditch the latter and replicate the existing 20' tent this year. Better aesthetics..

The "core group" is basically 10 people, but the total attendance generally numbers between 20 and 30. We have all the trappings - genny, satellite dish, big screen TV, sound system, multiple grills and stoves, a hot dog cooker (the kind with the rollers), popcorn machine, bar counter, hi-top lounge tables... it's pretty extravagant.

When our tailgate joined MrsScrew's tailgate I learned that you're nobody without chafing racks.

Then, when we merged our... um... merged tailgate with another tailgate I learned that the secret to almost everything is bales of hay.

This year I expect to learn that there are circumstances under which Sterno and bales of hay do not readily mix.

Oh God NO CHAFING DISHES.

Can I tailgate with you then?

We've discussed adding hay since we got sh!t for our propane heaters late last year by some wanna be fire chief. Cops never gave us a problem before until this one jerkoff started scouting the front of the yellow lot for "open flames".

We run a 4500 watt gas generator for our 32' flat screen, laptop and music setup. We tend to run 2 grills for the long tailgates. Beer, wine, scotch and/ or Whiskey and the occasional Patron. Baileys and/or Bloody's for the early morning tailgates.

We've discussed adding hay since we got sh!t for our propane heaters late last year by some wanna be fire chief. Cops never gave us a problem before until this one jerkoff started scouting the front of the yellow lot for "open flames".

We run a 4500 watt gas generator for our 32' flat screen, laptop and music setup. We tend to run 2 grills for the long tailgates. Beer, wine, scotch and/ or Whiskey and the occasional Patron. Baileys and/or Bloody's for the early morning tailgates.

Gotta watch out for the wannabe Fire Marshall in the Yellow Lot. I've had... "business" with him, myself.

We have at least one kerosene heater, nobody ever hassled us about it. We tend to have a pretty good relationship with the cops in the Blue lot because we always make a point of feeding them. It helps out when the occasional female party guest has too much to drink and stages a public meltdown.

Okay, that last thing only happened one time.

I appreciate this thread. I love football but I really love tailgating. It was one of your threads last year that convinced me to upgrade to the GoGalley for this season. I needed a new tailgate grill anyway but now I can smoke, fry, boil, and grill and it's glorious.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a TV this year. For those that have TVs going and you don't have Dish, what kind of antenna do you have and where do you buy it? Also, how powerful does your generator have to be to run a TV?

My buddy added an RU canopy to the tan one we have. But the best purchases were a portable L shaped bar last week and a spinning wheel so we have a reason to do stupid crap. "Yeah, the wheel made me do it haha." I need to get a portable flag pole next and we are eyeing a genny and TV the following year. I love my 4 foot event grill from Sams Club because of the surface area and the ease with witch it travels.

I know this isn't much. But I have come a long way from eating a sub in the car with my pregnant wife and am proud of our group.

Go Rutgers!

Ummm .. this is pretty much my tailgate! Except, she's no longer pregnant. But, we bring a cooler with some beer, cider, and the like. We'll pick up some sandwiches (or, depending on game time, we might actually have lunch at a restaurant before-hand .. eek!), bring some snacks, and/or sidle up to the very nice folks who park nearby who invite us over to their tailgate. It worked for us last year!

But, seriously, I think we should get some kind of "lack of real tailgate"-forgiveness because we're driving 250+ miles each way, for every game.

Pretty much everything everyone said here... Sometimes a smoker... Sometimes an ice luge. Every tailgate starts at 7AM no matter what time the game.

Of course a few extra bells and whistles every now and then... I'll have to walk through the blue lot to check out the competition.

Reactions: RC_2002
Our group of 12, we have.

2 tents, with lights for night games, and side shields for wind
2 Coleman gas grills
2 gas space heaters for cold weather
I 800 W Generator
Fully stocked bar each week with plenty of McCallan and Highland Park

The chafing dishes are for when we cook in bulk & need to keep things warm. Think 5 dozen scrambled eggs or a sliced leg of lamb or biscuits & sausage gravy.
I made 2 great purchases last year. Two tabletop 12,000 BTU butane burners and a bar top that connects to the tent.

Gotta watch out for the wannabe Fire Marshall in the Yellow Lot. I've had... "business" with him, myself.

We have at least one kerosene heater, nobody ever hassled us about it. We tend to have a pretty good relationship with the cops in the Blue lot because we always make a point of feeding them. It helps out when the occasional female party guest has too much to drink and stages a public meltdown.

Okay, that last thing only happened one time.

Plus he has this "I haven't been laid in 3 years" look on his face when he walks over. It almost seems like he wants a fight.

We have never had an issue with cops in the Yellow Lot. If you engage with them and don't act like an 8 year old, they can actually be quite pleasant.

I'm due for a new grill, have a old weber brick that has seen better days.

Should I go for the Q or the Coleman? I like the Coleman because it has its own stand and is half the price of the Q. If I got the Q I would also get the stand cause table space is at a premium.

We also have a flagpole and wanted to get a personalized flag for our group. Anyone have any experience with a getting a personalized flag?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a TV this year. For those that have TVs going and you don't have Dish, what kind of antenna do you have and where do you buy it? Also, how powerful does your generator have to be to run a TV?

We keep it simple by hooking up our laptop to the TV and run ESPN and the B1G network off the wifi. We all pitch in for the max data plan during the season. It's probably the costliest of options, but it works for us so we just go with it.

We also have a tank mounted howitzer...I mean construction type two headed heater. It has a screen over it so I can't see how it could be considered an open flame

We're in the Blue lot and have a pretty elaborate set up. We have 7 parking passes and depending on the game/weather 30 to 40 people. So here's our equipment list. 6 tents, 3 flag poles, generator, dj set up, satellite tv, bar, 2 to 3 grills, 5 camp stove burners, deep fryer, chafing dishes, hay if it rains, 2 high top tables, 4 or 5 regular tables and assorted chairs couches and other furniture.
We're meeting this weekend to try and add something new this season, maybe some of those 10 × 20 tents.

I'm due for a new grill, have a old weber brick that has seen better days.

Should I go for the Q or the Coleman? I like the Coleman because it has its own stand and is half the price of the Q. If I got the Q I would also get the stand cause table space is at a premium.

We also have a flagpole and wanted to get a personalized flag for our group. Anyone have any experience with a getting a personalized flag?
Love my Q..

We were going to use our phones via an HDMI adapter. figure we would rotate to someone every game so we dont go nuts on data overages. I have direct TV at home so that is an option. But I have seen folks spend forever futzing with the dish trying to get a signal. I will probably spring for a digital over the air antenna and run it up the flagpole

We were going to use our phones via an HDMI adapter. figure we would rotate to someone every game so we dont go nuts on data overages. I have direct TV at home so that is an option. But I have seen folks spend forever futzing with the dish trying to get a signal. I will probably spring for a digital over the air antenna and run it up the flagpole

I'm not sure on Direct TV but Dish has a tailgater globe that you just set out and go. We take a reciever from home and hook it up or you can get the glode/reciever together when purchase. Takes 2 minutes and there is no lining it up. You might see if Direct TV has a similar set up.

We add something new to the RV every year.
I also drive 250 miles each way for every game, but I bring my bedroom with me!

After many years of different tailgating grills including several Weber tabletops, the Porta-Chef, and the Coleman Roadtrip, we have been using a Weber Q for 5 or 6 years and it works very well.

Someone else here mentioned that they sprinkle grass seed. I intend to spread some seed before laying down the hay in the future. The lots can use any help they can get.

We add something new to the RV every year.
I also drive 250 miles each way for every game, but I bring my bedroom with me!

After many years of different tailgating grills including several Weber tabletops, the Porta-Chef, and the Coleman Roadtrip, we have been using a Weber Q for 5 or 6 years and it works very well.

Someone else here mentioned that they sprinkle grass seed. I intend to spread some seed before laying down the hay in the future. The lots can use any help they can get.
Always amazes me that Rutgers doesn't turnover the bare spots and add seed in the spring.

I appreciate this thread. I love football but I really love tailgating. It was one of your threads last year that convinced me to upgrade to the GoGalley for this season. I needed a new tailgate grill anyway but now I can smoke, fry, boil, and grill and it's glorious.
Did you get it yet?

That GoGalley looks sweet. That lift arm just doesnt look robust enough to make a long haul. How has it worked out Jason21psu?
I replied because it may have been my reccomendation. It ended up being a disaster and it didn't last 3 seasons which is crazy based on cost. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not handy and I neglect some usual wear and tear issues. However, this was different, we had to replace the cable because it frayed and broke. On my RV it hung so low it couldn't be driven up the driveway. I had to park in the street and push it up because it bottomed out. It also bottomed out on 287 multiple times. Final straw was the top of the grill simply breaking off as we road down RT 23. The guys who owns it is very nice and I wish him well but the cost didn't meet expectations.

I am immediately skeptical about anything that hangs off a trailer hitch. Plus, technically, it's illegal unless it has lights / flags / some kind of warning device.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT