ADVERTISEMENT

“No one had ever told me to raise my release point”

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
Great article/interview with Ron. Very much worth the read. Rooting for him big time.

“I work out on the court in the morning, then we have a movement session with speed and agility, then weight lifting, then we are back on the court. I love lifting weights. It’s fun for me. I come from a place where many people told me what I could and could not do.”

Sounds really focused right now. Tons of good quotes in there.

Last edited:
Really Ron no one? It has been discussed ad nauseum since his freshmen year. It was his biggest knock. Release point too low, shoots from his hip and across his body. He was successful despite those hitches.
He does not have a soft shot and his misses are short and hard off of front rim or air balls because of that release. Raise the release point higher arcing shots and misses are softer. I can still hear Ernie Hobbie (shot doctor) yelling instructions to raise my release point.
Great read. I hope he gets a shot!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: KevH and rucoe89
Really Ron no one? It has been discussed ad nauseum since his freshmen year. It was his biggest knock. Release point too low, shoots from his hip and across his body. He was successful despite those hitches.
He does not have a soft shot and his misses are short and hard off of front rim or air balls because of that release. Raise the release point higher arcing shots and misses are softer. I can still hear Ernie Hobbie (shot doctor) yelling instructions to raise my release point.
Air Balls ? By Harper ?

I watched all of Rutgers games and I am not sure I have ever seen Harper shoot an air ball. Do you have him confused with McConnell ?

I told him for four years from section 103

Yes, was talked about his whole career; fortunately he elevates well (but so does everyone in the NBA) and his release is pretty quick, so maybe less of an issue for him, although all things being equal, if he can raise his release point and not suffer any loss of accuracy, it will help him.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Air Balls ? By Harper ?

I watched all of Rutgers games and I am not sure I have ever seen Harper shoot an air ball. Do you have him confused with McConnell ?
Don’t know what to tell you. He shot plenty of air balls in his career. His miss as he said in the article was short and hard.

Don’t know what to tell you. He shot plenty of air balls in his career. His miss as he said in the article was short and hard.
I said I was not sure I saw them. Certainly not to the point where it was noticeably a problem.

Over a 4 year period, what number is plenty of them? 1 or 2 a game ?

Yes, was talked about his whole career; fortunately he elevates well (but so does everyone in the NBA) and his release is pretty quick, so maybe less of an issue for him, although all things being equal, if he can raise his release point and not suffer any loss of accuracy, it will help him.
He also took unnecessary deep 3s (unnecessary based on where the D was) to give himself room to be comfortable getting his shot off but to his credit it was the right strategy for him he is smart.

I said I was not sure I saw them. Certainly not to the point where it was noticeably a problem.

Over a 4 year period, what number is plenty of them? 1 or 2 a game ?
All I said was release point low. Which leads to flat shots. That normally end hard and short or miss the rim altogether. All things mentioned in the article. Did you read it? It was not a huge problem. Let it go…

Haha sojo you gotta stop with these passive aggressive posts and just be like me and say what you mean and stop pretending to be oblivious lol

Biggest gripe with Sojo.

He’s king at passive aggressive posts then plays dumb and acts like that’s not what’s he’s doing.

At least you come right out and say what you want to say.

Also I call bs on what Rons saying lol.

If Ron Jr. never heard this before, what does that say about Ron Sr., too? I find it hard to believe nobody ever pointed out the release could be improved before.
I don’t think he meant the comment the way you guys are interpretting. He was a very good high level D1 college shooter. You don’t mess with reconfiguring your whole shot when what your doing is working well for the game your playing. It wasn’t prioritized as something he “must change” - he worked on things that would most help the team just as every college player does. Now he’s not on a team so his sole goal is to improve his overall marketability. This is what’s being stressed and he’s making progress. That’s all there is to it. It wasn’t meant as a criticism of anyone.

I don’t think he meant the comment the way you guys are interpretting. He was a very good high level D1 college shooter. You don’t mess with reconfiguring your whole shot when what your doing is working well for the game your playing. It wasn’t prioritized as something he “must change” - he worked on things that would most help the team just as every college player does. Now he’s not on a team so his sole goal is to improve his overall marketability. This is what’s being stressed and he’s making progress. That’s all there is to it. It wasn’t meant as a criticism of anyone.

Yep agreed.

Except OP is using it to passively aggressively criticize the staff but will play dumb when he gets called out for it lol.

I read it somewhat the same way. Was not a problem until the "NBA Advisors" said it may be something that holds him back from getting a paycheck. Not the first time it was said. First time he is hearing it. All about marketability.

Reactions: KevH
They probably never told him because it worked in high school and college. The NBA is a whole other level. There are players who can and will block that shot.

They probably never told him because it worked in high school and college. The NBA is a whole other level. There are players who can and will block that shot.
He didn’t mean it as he had no idea previously that he had a low release. The OP picked this sentence and highlighted it out of context. It seems obvious to me Ron was saying that nobody had ever told him this would hold him back because in college it wasn’t a problem. it obviously didn’t hold him back as he shot over 40% from 3 last season. The NBA is a whole different thing. Sheesh.

I mean.....I specifically said this in December just from re-watching his "return video" from last year.
I would almost guarantee that he was told last year during the NBA evaluation his shot release was very low.
This may be shot at our coaching staff but there is no way actual professional evaluators didn't tell him this years ago.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/harper-scored-5-points.230272/post-5398931

"I re watched his "return" announcement video (posted above).
He was shooting low even there. The last seconds really show it.

Reminds me of Shawn Marion a bit."

It looked to me like he lowered his release point this year, to improved results. Also shot quicker and more aggressively, perhaps to compensate for increased block potential.

Reactions: RU_PAYBACK
He didn’t mean it as he had no idea previously that he had a low release. The OP picked this sentence and highlighted it out of context. It seems obvious to me Ron was saying that nobody had ever told him this would hold him back because in college it wasn’t a problem. it obviously didn’t hold him back as he shot over 40% from 3 last season. The NBA is a whole different thing. Sheesh.
How could I take something out of context if there’s no commentary added while you take the same statement and create context to explain it? If anything I quoted it as written and added no context and you actually did what you’re accusing me of.

I took it at face value that he wasn’t told at any stage that it would be a problem at any stage. But I made sure not to put words in his mouth or anyone else’s.

Lot of inciting posts in this thread and it’s not the the OP.

Last edited:
How could I take something out of context if there’s no commentary added while you take the same statement and create context to explain it? If anything I quoted it as written and added no context and you actually did what you’re accusing me of.

I took it at face value that he wasn’t told at any stage that it would be a problem at any stage. But I made sure not to put words in his mouth or anyone else’s.

Lot of inciting posts in this thread and it’s not the the OP.
Come on man, what did you choose as the TITLE/SUBJECT of your post while writing positive things in the post itself?

I understand that going forward Webster's may use your post to illustrate the definition of passive-aggressive 🙂

Great article/interview with Ron. Very much worth the read. Rooting for him big time.

“I work out on the court in the morning, then we have a movement session with speed and agility, then weight lifting, then we are back on the court. I love lifting weights. It’s fun for me. I come from a place where many people told me what I could and could not do.”

Just for arguments sake, let's say it was a veiled swipe at Pike, it also would be a knock on the NBA scouts he worked out for last year, his dad, his mom, etc.

So I'm glad it's not.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Come on man, what did you choose as the TITLE/SUBJECT of your post while writing positive things in the post itself?

I understand that going forward Webster's may use your post to illustrate the definition of passive-aggressive

The quote surprised me more than anything I’m the article and other than his weight it’s the most talked about part of his game. I thought more people would join the discussion.

Couldn’t have been more clear how great the article is as a whole and how locked in he seems to be.

Tough, half glass empty crowd here geez. Wish people were more positive but I get many struggle to detach themselves from old Rutgers culture of negativity.

Reactions: njcanesfan
Just for arguments sake, let's say it was a veiled swipe at Pike, it also would be a knock on the NBA scouts he worked out for last year, his dad, his mom, etc.

So I'm glad it's not.
Yeah it’s weird people jump to the conclusion that pike would be to blame here. That’s not what I was going for at all. And anyway he’d be way down the list of those who would have a hand in suggesting to adjust it.

The quote surprised me more than anything I’m the article and other than his weight it’s the most talked about part of his game. I thought more people would join the discussion.

Couldn’t have been more clear how great the article is as a whole and how locked in he seems to be.

Tough, half glass empty crowd here geez. Wish people were more positive but I get many struggle to detach themselves from old Rutgers culture of negativity.
Why did it surprise you? The release point of a college forward isn’t likely to be a problem at the high school or college levels. Maybe for a small guard it would have been bit more of a factor. Regardless - Nobody reconfigures their whole shot when it’s working well in college. That’s basically what he was saying. Nobody told him to work on it because his shot was working well.

Why did it surprise you? The release point of a college forward isn’t likely to be a problem at the high school or college levels. Maybe for a small guard it would have been bit more of a factor. Regardless - Nobody reconfigures their whole shot when it’s working well in college. That’s basically what he was saying. Nobody told him to work on it because his shot was working well.
Look no one is a bigger Harper fan than me I’ve made that clear but his low release point certainly was a problem. let’s also remember he came into this season a career 31% 3pt shooter. This year he was on another level which counts obv and brought him to 34%.

He is smart and takes deep 3s to get his shot off in catch and shoot situations. That’s smart.

This is all to say “it was working well” is not a fact to accept as cannon nothing more nothing less.

The title of your thread had NOTHING to do with the body of your initial post. You literally didn’t even write about anything related to the title.

The you took the quote that your title was based off of completely out of context.

All for some passive aggressive agenda that everyone recognizes but you continue to play dumb about it.

Reallllly weird stuff lol.

The title of your thread had NOTHING to do with the body of your initial post. You literally didn’t even write about anything related to the title.

The you took the quote that your title was based off of completely out of context.

All for some passive aggressive agenda that everyone recognizes but you continue to play dumb about it.

Reallllly weird stuff lol.
Strangest post yet tbh

A shame no one else cared to share their thoughts on the article.

Look no one is a bigger Harper fan than me I’ve made that clear but his low release point certainly was a problem. let’s also remember he came into this season a career 31% 3pt shooter. This year he was on another level which counts obv and brought him to 34%.

He is smart and takes deep 3s to get his shot off in catch and shoot situations. That’s smart.

This is all to say “it was working well” is not a fact to accept as cannon nothing more nothing less.
In college or high school - no kid completely reworks a shot in the off season unless it’s a really big problem. I think that’s what Ron was trying to say. He followed the comment up by pointing out that he shot 40% last year from the perimeter.

Reactions: RUsojo
Strangest post yet tbh

A shame no one else cared to share their thoughts on the article.
It’s not strange - if the point of your post was to discuss the article why not title it - “interesting article re Ron as an NBA prospect” or something like that?

It’s not strange - if the point of your post was to discuss the article why not title it - “interesting article re Ron as an NBA prospect” or something like that?
No one way is better than the other. The OP said what you’re demanding. Why you’re hung up on it is a other question entirely.

No one way is better than the other. The OP said what you’re demanding. Why you’re hung up on it is a other question entirely.
Dude - just stop. The purpose of a thread “title” is to describe what your about to post about. For your title - you chose to quote the one sentence in the entire article that could possibly be perceived negatively towards the RU program in terms of player development. That had to be your intention because there would be no other logical reason to use that quote in the title.

Dude - just stop. The purpose of a thread “title” is to describe what your about to post about. For your title - you chose to quote the one sentence in the entire article that could possibly be perceived negatively towards the RU program in terms of player development. That had to be your intention because there would be no other logical reason to use that quote in the title.
It’s funny you perceived it that way I didn’t think of it at all.

Anyway, you and another accomplished what you wanted to: another thread hijacking.

Congrats

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT