ADVERTISEMENT

“RAC Pass” Provides Access to all 22 Men’s Basketball Games / Instructions How To Use App In Thread

I often give my season tickets away because I don’t know until the last minute whether I can get to the game. I ordered this for those times when I find out at the last minute I can go, but my tickets are already given away. I can also use it to bring an extra guest to put in the usually empty corporate seats next to me.

Reactions: RUnTeX and NJDOVES
You're absolutely right. Rutgers should worry a little less about people bringing a little food into the game and a bit more about how what you mentioned screws people who pay a lot of money for good seats.
I think the food sales and parking fees are keys to this business decision. That cake job the ushers had just got a little more complicated. $$$$

I often give my season tickets away because I don’t know until the last minute whether I can get to the game. I ordered this for those times when I find out at the last minute I can go, but my tickets are already given away. I can also use it to bring an extra guest to put in the usually empty corporate seats next to me.

Cool! I did the same thing before I retired.

Last edited:
What happens if, <pause>, we start selling out games? Are they really going to set aside 500 seats? Will they assume less than that because all 500 wouldn't show? Do we have the OK from fire inspector to have SRO? Will they take some seats away from the students

What happens if, <pause>, we start selling out games? Are they really going to set aside 500 seats? Will they assume less than that because all 500 wouldn't show? Do we have the OK from fire inspector to have SRO? Will they take some seats away from the students
It’s 200 seats not 500. The Jets do this but not sure how it has worked out.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
They're not setting aside 200 seats. Those tickets are sold, but just not assigned. So if the RAC holds 8000, when they have sold 7800 assigned seats, they are sold out. Then they assign the remaining 200 seats.

They're not setting aside 200 seats. Those tickets are sold, but just not assigned. So if the RAC holds 8000, when they have sold 7800 assigned seats, they are sold out. Then they assign the remaining 200 seats.
It is unlikely this is how it would work in a technical sense. The idea that they would have the software capability to automatically shut down online sales for a game when only 200 are left isn't likely. Also consider the game day box office and walk up sales, and the coordination it would take to ensure 200 are left as people continue to buy tickets. They will have to set these 200 tickets aside manually for each game, or risk it not working.

So theoretically they leave 200*30? off the table= $6,000. If max 3 games are like that you lose $18,000. 200 flash pass * $99 is $19,800. Assume flash passers go to 1/2 of the games and on average spend $10 per game (parking + concessions) 200* 1/2 * 21 * $10 = $21,000

So $19,800 + $21,000 =$40,000 of incremental revenue.

If demand is there I'd actually push the envelope to 2,500 with the assumption that at most 2,000 would ever show for 1 game.

Also worth noting.....how many seats aren't sold behind the basket because of obstructed viewing?

So theoretically they leave 200*30? off the table= $6,000. If max 3 games are like that you lose $18,000. 200 flash pass * $99 is $19,800. Assume flash passers go to 1/2 of the games and on average spend $10 per game (parking + concessions) 200* 1/2 * 21 * $10 = $21,000

So $19,800 + $21,000 =$40,000 of incremental revenue.

If demand is there I'd actually push the envelope to 2,500 with the assumption that at most 2,000 would ever show for 1 game.

Also worth noting.....how many seats aren't sold behind the basket because of obstructed viewing?
Forget expanding to 2000 in an 8000 seat building, you expand much more than already being offered, then you totally devalue full price season tickets and really tick off those paying full price for tickets AND parking AND making R fund donations. The more you expand the program the more full price season ticket holders and donors you’ll start to lose.

Forget expanding to 2000 in an 8000 seat building, you expand much more than already being offered, then you totally devalue full price season tickets and really tick off those paying full price for tickets AND parking AND making R fund donations. The more you expand the program the more full price season ticket holders and donors you’ll start to lose.

got a decimal wrong...meant 250....not 2500. sorry.

Offer the flash pass to 250 instead of 200 with the assumption no more than 80% of flash passers would ever show.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
It is unlikely this is how it would work in a technical sense. The idea that they would have the software capability to automatically shut down online sales for a game when only 200 are left isn't likely. Also consider the game day box office and walk up sales, and the coordination it would take to ensure 200 are left as people continue to buy tickets. They will have to set these 200 tickets aside manually for each game, or risk it not working.

I would think that's where the geofencing comes into play. The seats get assigned for that game based on what's best available at the time you reach the RAC in the same way someone gets the best available at the box office when they walk up to the window. So realistically, they only have to hold back the 200 worst seats the reduce the hold back amount for each claimed pass.

I would think that's where the geofencing comes into play. The seats get assigned for that game based on what's best available at the time you reach the RAC in the same way someone gets the best available at the box office when they walk up to the window. So realistically, they only have to hold back the 200 worst seats the reduce the hold back amount for each claimed pass.
Right. And I do think they will hold back the worst seats. That doesn't mean that people will actually be assigned those seats, since it is supposed to be best available upon arrival. But they will have to hold seats back, instead of just trying to have their ticketing system shut off all sales system wide when it reaches 200 left, as I just doubt it is sophisticated enough to do that. I'm always interested in how stuff like this gets executed, more so since I will probably be trying to buy this myself!

It's the same as season tickets though .. the system "shuts down" when however X amount of single game tickets are sold beyond the season tickets. So it's not "saving" 200 seats .. whether those people show up or not, same concept as regular season ticket holder in the 100s .. if he doesn't show up, his seat is empty. It's just the same seat every game.

Where does it say you get the best available seats. As far as I can tell, they just commit to give you a seat.
See Bwrlaw's post on the first page of this thread. Also this from the release, which is less clear but combine with the feedback the poster got it seems clear enough:
"RAC Pass seat locations will vary, depending upon the available seating inventory of the particular game."

It's the same as season tickets though .. the system "shuts down" when however X amount of single game tickets are sold beyond the season tickets. So it's not "saving" 200 seats .. whether those people show up or not, same concept as regular season ticket holder in the 100s .. if he doesn't show up, his seat is empty. It's just the same seat every game.
Think about it. The RAC Pass seats are not assigned until game day, upon the arrival of the RAC Pass ticket holders. So if they aren't holding back seats as I am suggesting, then all remaining seats would be available for purchase online or at the box office leading up to the game. In that scenario, to guarantee RAC Pass holders a seat, they would need to stop selling tickets simultaneously from both box office computers, and online, the moment that only 200 are left. I don't have any confidence in the execution of that, if that is how they attempt to handle it.

I'll bet there are 30 seats behind the basket in 118 that aren't for sale that could be part of the 200. They could also reduce student allocation for games that could sell out.

It's a great promotion and a way to get people invested in going to Rutgers basketball games. What do we all love about the RAC? The atmosphere and the noise! The only way to get there is by filling the place by whatever means necessary. This is a great option and way to do that, and creates some ancillary revenue for the school on top of that.

Season ticket holders and donors - you do those things out of desire, having the means, and having a passion for Rutgers basketball. Isn't filling the RAC more beneficial? Yes it will be more crowded, and yes people may get a great deal out of it. But realistically, how many times has the RAC actually sold out over the past decade?

This is great promotion with benefits for everyone. I understand the complaints about people getting a better deal than season ticket holders - but remember where that $ is going. Back to the athletic department. Consider it part of your yearly donation if that makes you feel better.

Go RU!

Last edited:
In general, your premise is wrong. Especially the 100s across the court from the team benchs. Great seats for watching college hoops. The 200s are a good value, but you do not have a better view. You have a pretty good view.
I spent time in sections 102 & 105. I think I have a better view in the lower rows of 203 close to 204. The radio crew is a few steps away from me and the TV camera
and crew are nearby. I've yet to see any basketball games where the main TV camera is close to the floor.

It looks like a lot of venues and teams having something like this. Technology makes it happen. I am buying one for my daughter who wants to go to games, but won't go to all of them and it is cheaper than buying reserved seats for the 6-8 games she will attend.

See Bwrlaw's post on the first page of this thread. Also this from the release, which is less clear but combine with the feedback the poster got it seems clear enough:
"RAC Pass seat locations will vary, depending upon the available seating inventory of the particular game."

I saw BWR's post .... but he is posting what he was told by a ticket agent. We know that ticket agents don't always accurately convey policy. The announcement of the RAC Pass indicates that seats will be assigned based on available seating. It is a small step for a ticket agent to say that seats will be assigned based on best available seating .... but that is a world of difference.

As far as I can tell, there is no official announcement from Rutgers that they will give RAC Pass holders the best available seats. As I noted earlier in this thread, I expect them to get seats in the 300 level, upper 200's, or 200 corners. At $99, that's still a great deal, but no RAC Pass holder should be upset because they were assigned seats in last row of Sec 201 and they see empty seats lower and closer to center court.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I saw BWR's post .... but he is posting what he was told by a ticket agent. We know that ticket agents don't always accurately convey policy. The announcement of the RAC Pass indicates that seats will be assigned based on available seating. It is a small step for a ticket agent to say that seats will be assigned based on best available seating .... but that is a world of difference.

As far as I can tell, there is no official announcement from Rutgers that they will give RAC Pass holders the best available seats. As I noted earlier in this thread, I expect them to get seats in the 300 level, upper 200's, or 200 corners. At $99, that's still a great deal, but no RAC Pass holder should be upset because they were assigned seats in last row of Sec 201 and they see empty seats lower and closer to center court.
Yep, it could be anything, and again I wouldn't be surprised if the technology itself is flaky. We drive an hour to get to the games, so if I end up buying it I'm hoping it's reliable.

I spent time in sections 102 & 105. I think I have a better view in the lower rows of 203 close to 204. The radio crew is a few steps away from me and the TV camera
and crew are nearby. I've yet to see any basketball games where the main TV camera is close to the floor.

I'm so glad you posted this! I just ordered my season tickets. I was going to try this RAC Pass but I don't like nose bleed seats and for under $400.00 I got section 214 second row up (G). Looks like a great view And I can renew each year!

The ticket prices for 118 was like $200 more than section 214. I sat up there for today's practice and I'm fine with it. Also sat down at the floor level and I probably would prefer that, but not for the $$$. I'll probably miss most of the home games anyway. But I'm truly excited about this staff and I believe they will win!
PS: great win today vs Illinois!!!

Diagree with having tickets available in 118. My seats are $750 a pop in 118, no bargin by any stretch .
Add in the minimum seat donation plus the higher cost of tickets in my section in the 100's and my seat outlay is double what a 118 seat costs and I'm not even in the most expensive section. That is unless they added a minimum donation requirement for 118 in the last year. So, for seats that close to the action, 118 seats ARE a relative bargain. Of course, that's if you don't mind seating behind the basket which I prefer not to.

At the open practice, they had sheets of paper on a few seats in the 111-116 side (scorer's table side) indicating that those season tickets were available for purchase. There were only about 4 or 5 that I saw so perhaps there aren't actually too many court side seats that aren't already spoken for (either sold or held by the athletic dept for other reasons). So, the possibility of assigning available 100 level seats to RAC Pass holders is probably a moot point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT