ADVERTISEMENT

♠️ is here

We'll see if he's the best Bailey to ever suit up for the Scarlet Knights.

James' junior year will be hard to beat. Jammin' James had arguably the best season in RU hoops history in 1977-78.
Just for fun ... James Bailey's Junior season ... vs Bob Lloyd's Senior season ... vs Phil Sellers' Junior or Senior seasons ... Quincy Douby's Junior season ... Keith Hughes Senior season ... Eric Riggins' Senior season.

So ... how to measure? Statistically only? Tough, because players played different positions, against VERY different competition, in different eras. Look at how they were viewed contemporaneously?

My source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/.

So ... statistically, Bailey's Junior season was amazing, and arguably the best all around season of all time at RU:

23.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.3 blocks/g, 1.8 stl/g, 0.6 ass/g, 58.5% FG, 64.5% FT ... I am certain he was a 1st Team All American (though sports-reference.com does not list him as either 1st team or 2nd team All American - I am certain they are wrong, and Bailey was 1st team All American both his Junior and Senior years). He had better rebounds and blocked shots as a sophomore, oddly enough, and better FT%. FYI, sports-reference.com also has a SOS rating - Bailey's was "average" (0.01).

Phil Sellers' Senior or Junior Year - which was better? Tough - he scored more as a Junior, more rebounds as a Senior - DK his steals, assists or blocked shots prior to Senior season (not official stats, I don't think):

Junior Year: 22.7 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3.1 ass/g, 47.4% FG, 78% FT ... SOS -0.69
Senior Year: 19.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.2 ass/g, 1.9 stl/g, 0.6 blocks/g, 44.8% FG, 73% FT ... I am certain Sellers was a 1st Team All American as a Senior - not sure about his Junior season (sports-reference.com only has him as a 2nd team All American as a Senior) ... SOS: -1.01

Bob Lloyd's Senior Season:

27.9 ppg, 3.3 rpg ... unknown ass/g ... 48.7% FG, 92% FT ... 1st Team All American ... SOS: -6.41 ... FYI, Lloyd AVERAGED 26 ppg in his 3-year career, never less than 25 ppg.

Quincy Douby's Junior Season (RU's best pure scorer/shooter since Bob Lloyd):

25.4 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.1 ass/g, 1.8 stl/g, 0.8 blocks/g, 46.2% FG, 40% 3 pt FG, 84.7% FT ... 1st Team All Big East ... 1st in Big East ppg, 4th in USA ppg ... SOS: +5.16

Keith Hughes Senior season - better than most remember (he is rarely cited as one of RU's greatest, and was mainly just a scorer - though he did rebound):

21 ppg, 10 rpg, 1,0 block/g, 0.9 ass/g, 0.6 stl/g, 43.9% FG, 36.5% 3 pt FG, 65.2% FT ... SOS: +6.57 ... 1st Team All Atlantic 10 and A-10 Player of the Year

Eric Riggins' Senior Season (okay, not really belong, but he did scorer A LOT! ... he just literally did nothing else):

24.7 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.8 ass/g, 0.5 stl/g, 0.3 blocks/g ... 51% FG, 18% 3 pt FG, 78% FT ... SOS: +2.1

Best seasons, IMO: Bailey's Junior season, Lloyd's Senior season and Sellers' Junior season are the 3 standouts, with Douby's Junior season and Sellers' Senior season very close behind.

Best Players, IMO: Bailey and Sellers were RU's two best ALL AROUND players (when you combine scoring, rebounding, defense and leadership).

Best pure scoring seasons: Lloyd's Senior season and Douby's Junior season

Best Seasons as Judged By Contemporaneous Sources In CHRONOLOGICAL Order: Lloyd's Senior season, Sellers' Junior and Senior Seasons, Bailey's Junior season and Bailey's Senior season, Douby's Junior season. Note: Lloyd, Sellers and Bailey were all 1st Team All Americans (Lloyd - consensus), while Douby was NOT.

Just for fun ... James Bailey's Junior season ... vs Bob Lloyd's Senior season ... vs Phil Sellers' Junior or Senior seasons ... Quincy Douby's Junior season ... Keith Hughes Senior season ... Eric Riggins' Senior season.

So ... how to measure? Statistically only? Tough, because players played different positions, against VERY different competition, in different eras. Look at how they were viewed contemporaneously?

So ... statistically, Bailey's Junior season was amazing, and arguably the best all around season of all time at RU:

23.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.3 blocks/g, 1.8 stl/g, 0.6 ass/g, 58.5% FG, 64.5% FT ... I am certain he was a 1st Team All American (though sports-reference.com does not list him as either 1st team or 2nd team All American - I am certain they are wrong, and Bailey was 1st team All American both his Junior and Senior years). He had better rebounds and blocked shots as a sophomore, oddly enough, and better FT%. FYI, sports-reference.com also has a SOS rating - Bailey's was "average" (0.01).

Phil Sellers' Senior or Junior Year - which was better? Tough - he scored more as a Junior, more rebounds as a Senior - DK his steals, assists or blocked shots prior to Senior season (not official stats, I don't think):

Senior Year: 19.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.2 ass/g, 1.9 stl/g, 0.6 blocks/g, 44.8% FG, 73% FT ... I am certain Sellers was a 1st Team All American as a Senior - not sure about his Junior season (sports-reference.com only has him as a 2nd team All American as a Senior) ... SOS: -1.01

27.9 ppg, 3.3 rpg ... unknown ass/g ... 48.7% FG, 92% FT ... 1st Team All American ... SOS: -6.41 ... FYI, Lloyd AVERAGED 26 ppg in his 3-year career, never less than 25 ppg.

25.4 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.1 ass/g, 1.8 stl/g, 0.8 blocks/g, 46.2% FG, 40% 3 pt FG, 84.7% FT ... 1st Team All Big East ... 1st in Big East ppg, 4th in USA ppg ... SOS: +5.16

Keith Hughes Senior season - better than most remember (he is rarely cited as one of RU's greatest, and was mainly just a scorer - though he did rebound):

21 ppg, 10 rpg, 1,0 block/g, 0.9 ass/g, 0.6 stl/g, 43.9% FG, 36.5% 3 pt FG, 65.2% FT ... SOS: +6.57 ... 1st Team All Atlantic 10 and A-10 Player of the Year

Eric Riggins' Senior Season (okay, not really belong, but he did scorer A LOT! ... he just literally did nothing else):

24.7 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.8 ass/g, 0.5 stl/g, 0.3 blocks/g ... 51% FG, 18% 3 pt FG, 78% FT ... SOS: +2.1

Best seasons, IMO: Bailey's Junior season, Lloyd's Senior season and Sellers' Junior season are the 3 standouts, with Douby's Junior season and Sellers' Senior season very close behind.

Best Players, IMO: Bailey and Sellers were RU's two best ALL AROUND players (when you combine scoring, rebounding, defense and leadership).

Best Seasons as Judged By Contemporaneous Sources In CHRONOLOGICAL Order: Lloyd's Senior season, Sellers' Junior and Senior Seasons, Bailey's Junior season and Bailey's Senior season, Douby's Junior season. Note: Lloyd, Sellers and Bailey were all 1st Team All Americans (Lloyd - consensus), while Douby was NOT.
Nice analysis!

Reactions: RUHouston

AP has Bailey as honorable mention all-american in 1978 and 1979.

Ace has mad talent. You rarely see a guy with his size, with his shooting range, who can get his own shot anytime he wants. And he can also put it on the deck and blow by his defender. It’s gonna be great fun watching Ace.

Ace has mad talent. You rarely see a guy with his size, with his shooting range, who can get his own shot anytime he wants. And he can also put it on the deck and blow by his defender. It’s gonna be great fun watching Ace.
Captain Obvious . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT