ADVERTISEMENT

Final Vtch Takeaways

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
When we were up 23-7 and about to score again, it just about looked like the perfectly played game. Imagine going into Blacksberg, and dominating a team, who many picked as an ACC contender. And doing it in a whiteout at Lane stadium; which is undoubtedly one of the toughest places to play.

Was it a fluke, having that lead? The answer is No, it wasn’t a fluke. But its been a long time since we had an offense, to go along with a defense, to be in that position. I think the only fluke was the fumble by Fletcher, that probably would have had us up 30-7. I bet he learns from that.

i don’t know for sure what happened with our defense. Powell and Bailey definitely gave us a boost and maybe they were really gassed, playing in their first game? There were some questionable play calls, like not going for it on 4th and 1, the long FG attempt or not running the ball more with the lead.

But in the end, overcoming the hokie comeback, can not be overlooked. We can now learn from a win, instead of saying that oneday, we will be good enough to win. This is what was said in the past.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a heart wrenching game and didn’t take a few years from my life….it did! But winning a game like that, could be exactly what we needed to put into the memory banks of this team. Its hard to win on the road and even with an experienced QB, having an offense like this, is relatively new for us.

Washington is an exciting opportunity. But again, its not going to be easy. Dont worry about rankings or votes. Those things happen when you continue to win. Its only important, when you dont need to ask for it. Enjoy the ride!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.