ADVERTISEMENT

17-7 (8-5)

RUDieHard

Sophomore
Dec 20, 2004
Their is WAY too much whining on this board.

Who would not have signed up for our current record pre-season?

We are well positioned for this year and even better for next season. We're tied for 4th with Michigan State. We have an opportunity to finish in the top 4 of the league, make a B1G tournament run and who knows in the Tourney.

Enough with the whining/complaining about Pike's "offensive system", foul shooting, Mulcahy, etc.

You guys need to give it a rest and put everything in perspective.

ENJOY THE RIDE.

Let's Go Knights!

-RUDieHard

I have not looked at the Season Prediction thread in a while, but my guess is the people complaining the most are also the folks who had the lowest win total for this team. Just a hunch.

17-7/8-5 after losing Eugene and not having Geo "quite right" for the entirety of the B1G slate until Northwestern is fairly remarkable.

Until a team wins all or their games in flawless fashion, fans will complain. Do you not listen to these Yankees fans that call into sports talk radio? What in the world should a Yankees fan complain about? But they always do. Likewise I have a colleague that is an Alabama football fan. He still finds things to worry about. Its the nature of being a fan.

YES. Just posted a similar post before seeing this and I didn’t cal out the whiners. Great season so far. Loving it.

Reactions: RUDieHard
Disagree. Expectations change with the season and how players develop. Just because we are exceeding pre season expectations doesn’t mean as we have watched this team progress there aren’t reasons to be critical. Especially when we see players or the team in general regress or play sloppy at times or questionable coaching calls. We know what they are capable of now. Now everyone should be happy with our progress butvwere allowed to be critical at times or call out things we don’t like. if we play down.

Some fans though are just too overly critical. This is what happens when bandwagon fans who haven't cared for our team for years now think because we have had some success that we should win every game. Long suffering fans like myself, a fan for 49 years are enjoying the ride. These coaches and players are all so easy to root for.

Some fans though are just too overly critical. This is what happens when bandwagon fans who haven't cared for our team for years now think because we have had some success that we should win every game. Long suffering fans like myself, a fan for 49 years are enjoying the ride. These coaches and players are all so easy to root for.
Absolutely. This is a great team. And a great team to root for. I couldn’t be happier.
But at same time. Your allowed to be critical on sloppy players, questionable decisions and bad plays. That’s what makes watching sports fun.

Reactions: Scangg
Ah these threads make me nostalgic for the exit 109 days with our positioids and negatoids. We’re all passionate and want the same thing. We may go about it differently. It’s ok. Board would be pretty boring if we all spoke with one voice. GO RU

I think human nature is all about setting goals and then re-setting them once you hit that last goal.
No doubt we have been treated to a season not seen in many decades. You certainly do not want the players to say that they are satisfied and just coast the rest of the way, why expect fans to do it?
Being picked to finish 12th pretty much had most hoping against hope that we could still somehow qualify for the post season somewhere. Now, we are in the discussion for the dance and then who knows?

I think it is unfair to say people who enjoy analyzing the games, consider other strategies, and evaluating players/coaches are not enjoying the ride.

I for one am loving every minute of every game (win or lose) but I enjoy debating the big and sometimes small issues of the team and how they could be even better. I don't think that makes me a whiner or any less of a fan.

Can anyone find the pre season thread where we all predicted what the teams record would be? Pretty sure I was somewhere around 21 wins lmao

Reactions: Scangg
Resetting expectations doesn't make sense especially when it comes to fans being "critical". Pikiell and this team have done an excellent job this year blowing away everyone's expectations. What could you complain about? Why not be happy for their success? This Rutgers team has been great, they work hard and put everything out there on the floor. At what point do we accept them for who they are and how far they come? If we are going to keep increasing expectations then if they finish top 4 in the big ten nothing short of a sweet 16 should be acceptable and they should be "criticized" for not doing it.

If you have a child and your child has reached his ceiling in one aspect of his life, do you bring them home and ridicule and criticize them for making mistakes? No you love them and accept for who they are what they can do. You appreciate their willingness to work hard every day to achieve a goal. I feel some people on this board treat these kids much much much different then they treat their own kids. Which is a shame.

The issue is fans do not come off as "critical". They come off as a**holes.

We are seeing this play out today regarding the 2 for 1 fiasco. Instead of saying "hey one thing pikiell might have done better is getting a shot up prior to 30 seconds to make sure that we have a shot to win or tie if NW scores", they say "the move was inexcusable and we need to fire an assistant coach to hire someone who knows offense." This is not coming off as "critical."

We are well positioned for this year and even better for next season. We're tied for 4th with Michigan State. We have an opportunity to finish in the top 4 of the league, make a B1G tournament run and who knows in the Tourney.

Enough with the whining/complaining about Pike's "offensive system", foul shooting, Mulcahy, etc.

ENJOY THE RIDE.

Let's Go Knights!

-RUDieHard

Come on, don't you know it's ENJOY THE JOURNEY, not RIDE. Get that right:Wink::Laughing. Couldn't agree more with what you said above, I've been calling out a few of the miserable people on this board lately and yes they are miserable. I would take up a different hobby if sports made me that miserable and would surly give up Rutgers sports. We have suffered a long time and this season is so much fun i can't believe people won't let themselves enjoy it, pretty sad when you think about it.Pounding Nails

Reactions: RUDieHard
Resetting expectations doesn't make sense

I think it is almost unnatural not to. I have enjoyed this season and they have already well exceeded my preseason expectations but if they were to go 0-8 and miss the Tourney, I would be very, very disappointed.

Reactions: shields

ENJOY THE RIDE.

Let's Go Knights!

-RUDieHard
Are you kidding?

There has been way too much whining all season and look at the results!

Why switch things up now?

Reactions: RutgHoops
Resetting expectations doesn't make sense especially when it comes to fans being "critical". Pikiell and this team have done an excellent job this year blowing away everyone's expectations. What could you complain about? Why not be happy for their success? This Rutgers team has been great, they work hard and put everything out there on the floor. At what point do we accept them for who they are and how far they come? If we are going to keep increasing expectations then if they finish top 4 in the big ten nothing short of a sweet 16 should be acceptable and they should be "criticized" for not doing it.

If you have a child and your child has reached his ceiling in one aspect of his life, do you bring them home and ridicule and criticize them for making mistakes? No you love them and accept for who they are what they can do. You appreciate their willingness to work hard every day to achieve a goal. I feel some people on this board treat these kids much much much different then they treat their own kids. Which is a shame.

We are seeing this play out today regarding the 2 for 1 fiasco. Instead of saying "hey one thing pikiell might have done better is getting a shot up prior to 30 seconds to make sure that we have a shot to win or tie if NW scores", they say "the move was inexcusable and we need to fire an assistant coach to hire someone who knows offense." This is not coming off as "critical."
68 teams will make the big dance, and 67 of them will have their season end with a loss. The fans of all those teams will lament what could have been.

However things end for us this year, I hope our fans come out in droves to greet the team and coaches when they return from their final game. They will have earned it.

Reactions: Yeah Baby

ENJOY THE RIDE.

Let's Go Knights!

-RUDieHard
Great season, but unfortunately we're really 16-7 when it comes to rankings. Kind of interested in who scheduled Caldwell. I assume Hobbs had to approve it.

Well said. I have zero issue with constructive criticism of coaching or players, as everyone can improve. It's the douchebaggery that gets annoying, calling people bums or saying person X or coach Y sucks at some key element of their play or making stupid blanket statements, like "we have no offensive sets." I even have very little issue with X or Y sucks posts in actual game threads, as those threads are made for knee-jerk fan reactions, akin to yelling at the TV set - but people who go out of their way to start douchy, mean-spirited threads or pile on in those threads, are simply acting like jerks and should be called out on it.

Ah these threads make me nostalgic for the exit 109 days with our positioids and negatoids. We’re all passionate and want the same thing. We may go about it differently. It’s ok. Board would be pretty boring if we all spoke with one voice. GO RU
Wow, haven't heard "positoid vs negatoid" in a long time. I better dial up my Prodigy internet connection and post on that black and white screen for 99 cents a minute!

Reactions: RutgHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT