ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Class Hopes Crumbling?

gordel1

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2006
Here is the latest:

1. Martice Mitchells dream school Oregon just offered so he is likely gone
2. Richard Springs who @Russ Wood said he could "see" at RU just reclassified to 2019 and committed to Uconn
3. Cliff Omoruyi is taking about 12 visits and seems more open than ever
4. Farrar probably going to NC State after being offered
5. Missed out on key transfers (Tillman)

Summary:

What is Plan B? I guess all in on Hawkins? Not very encouraging with how this critical class is shaping up.

Still some time before it is called a miss.

Some of the best kids are not top 150. I believe they will do okay. As you said, some top kids have already declared.

Still plenty of time!

Here is the latest:

2. Richard Springs who @Russ Wood said he could "see" at RU just reclassified to 2019 and committed to Uconn

Summary:

What is Plan B? I guess all in on Hawkins? Not very encouraging with how this critical class is shaping up.

No need to.panic in August

I had hoped for a little more buzz but just shows we do need to show some more winning on the court to attract more higher rated players. Hawkins seems like the most realistic best target out there right now. I love him as a prospect.

I wonder if Pike might save a scholarship or two again or use one on a grad transfer to keep more spots open for 2021. If we have a really great season this year and make the post season we would want to have some spots open to capitalize on that momentum

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I had hoped for a little more buzz but just shows we do need to show some more winning on the court to attract more higher rated players. Hawkins seems like the most realistic best target out there right now. I love him as a prospect.

I wonder if Pike might save a scholarship or two again or use one on a grad transfer to keep more spots open for 2021. If we have a really great season this year and make the post season we would want to have some spots open to capitalize on that momentum

If we hit the middle of the B1G, win >.50% and get to the Senior Prom (The Dance) or Jr. Prom (NIT).... there will be a loud BUZZ!:Fire

MO

Here is the latest:

Summary:

IIRC I was responding to a specific list of class of 2020 prospects and said something along the lines of From that list I'll say Richard Springs, if Rutgers really pushes for him.

"If Rutgers really pushes for him," was the key part of that sentence. I don't know if RU really pushed for him or not.

A month ago I had not heard anything about him reclassifying to 2019 and I did not factor in the potential impact of UConn moving to the Big East would have on his recruitment.

Plus I asked someone if they felt Connecticut leads for Springs and they replied:

Don't think they're really pursuing.

A lot can change in recruiting in a month's time.

It's shaping up to be the most important season for this program in decades. Hoping for a good one. $$$$

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
We are Rutgers. Dont ever forget that. No matter what level of optimism you or the media express we are still who we are. Rutgers. Is that trolling? I don't think so. I think it's reality.

Reactions: LC-88 and kcg88
We are Rutgers. Dont ever forget that. No matter what level of optimism you or the media express we are still who we are. Rutgers. Is that trolling? I don't think so. I think it's reality.

Well, you are more of a troll than a fan in my opinion. Optimism is very high on the basketball team and we have a great staff, great nucleus of players and true fans are overly excited. Your statement is not fan worthy. Your the guy that all game long we’re doing well and then a freak three pointer wins the game for the opponent and a guy like you says “same old Rutgers “ - pathetic..

Well, you are more of a troll than a fan in my opinion. Optimism is very high on the basketball team and we have a great staff, great nucleus of players and true fans are overly excited. Your statement is not fan worthy. Your the guy that all game long we’re doing well and then a freak three pointer wins the game for the opponent and a guy like you says “same old Rutgers “ - pathetic..
Not an apples to apples comparison.

To the best of my knowledge, no recruit has been inside the new RWJ Barnabas Center. Pictures and videos are nice, but once we can walk them into one of the top facilities in the nation, we will have A LOT for them to see in person.

The kids who have taken official visits like Mitchell Hawkins Reiber and eventually Miles are still on the board for the 2 to 3 spots likely to be filled. Cliff Omoyuri is icing on whatever cake we provide in 2020, as a love to have, but is not considered a must have player.

Springs was headed to UConn for almost 6 months or more, there wasn't much there to decide on, once his AAU teammate Bouright went there in 2018....Bouright was their plan 1A or 1B, once RU beat out UConn for Mathis.

Mulcahy is the key piece for 2019 and along with Jacob Young, bring 2 impact players to the fold. The most any one class can ask for are 2 bonafide rotation players.

My choices based on the known kids are Darius Miles, Coleman Hawkins and Dean Reiber. I would consider that an excellent class on par with the 2018 group and Mulcahy in 2019. I would be thrilled with any of the 3, 2 of 3 would be very good, all 3 would be outstanding work by the staff.

There could be another dozen kids that emerge between now and November but I am not concerned about "crumbling". We are not in a position to panic or reach for anything at this point.

Martice Mitchell out of Chicago and Farrar in North Carolina went from "reaches, that were too low on the totem pole", to blowing up and outside of the reach of a lot of schools. If we believe Mitchell that Oregon is his dream school and that Farrar has NC State as his #1, those programs will assuredly close out or win out.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Pike and Rutgers is not going to snag the big hype recruit. Pike's strength is to snag the under the radar kids who will flourish and to hope a NJ kid wants to stay home. It's no knock on Pike as I love him but I think this is the realistic situation until perception of the program changes

in terms of timing I'm figuring the 2020 recruiting class should be impacted by our new practice facility. This was to be, as Hobbs and Pike have indicated many times, a "game changer" for our program. Hopefully, and soon, we begin seeing this impact on our 2020 recruiting class in a big way.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Pike and Rutgers is not going to snag the big hype recruit. Pike's strength is to snag the under the radar kids who will flourish and to hope a NJ kid wants to stay home. It's no knock on Pike as I love him but I think this is the realistic situation until perception of the program changes
The first program changer perception wise will be a winning season.Pikiell and staff are aggressive recruiters in identifying talent but face the challenges of closing the deal against programs with track records of prior/current success.It will be interesting to watch recruits reactions to the new practice facility and its impact in attracting higher level recruits to Rutgers.

Reactions: LC-88
Chill. Things will happen. We need to win this year and we will. Need to stay healthy.

Gotta remember getting in early only means something to a very small percentage of recruits when you're not what they view as one of their ceiling schools to begin with.

Staff appears to be working their asses off and connect well with almost every recruit they're targeting. We win enough, which I believe we will, the foundation that has been built will pay off with big time recruits.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Maybe you've been a loyal fan for 30+ years, and have managed to maintain a sense of optimism. Not easy to do. I have not, and like MONK, am anticipating the usual outcome. Hope I'm wrong. I agree with everything MONK said, and there are probably others as well. Pike has put is in the best position since the pre-Big East Young days. Lets hope.

I’m very confident that it will all work out. If there is a glitch or two along the way, I’ll still be a Rutgers fan. Sounds corny but I’m a Met fan for life - and a Rutgers fan for life... it all started in 69... lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT