ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Martice Mitchell to Visit

Some skills and can shoot. Watched some extended highlights and looks kind of soft. I would definitely wait here.

Having a very good summer. Starting to field high major interest (Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin..for example). Think we are his first high major offer. I'd be surprised if we were his last.

Reactions: Scangg
A clear signal that this recruit is in no hurry to commit and probably waiting for his special school to offer.
Unless a kid was absolutely in love with a particular school that has offered why commit now, and shut down his recruitment, when there is a live period coming up this weekend. Plus two more live periods in July?

That just doesn't make any sense to me unless, as I said, the kid was absolutely in love with a particular school that has offered.

Picked up a VCU offer. Amazed about the player picture he used in this tweet. One of the best in NJ when he played ball for Linden, Calvin Ducan

@knights1212 Do you remember him?

I wonder if there is a connection/relationship.

Last edited:
Good to see that Mitchell is visiting again. Like I mentioned in the Coleman Hawkins thread...

If he took that (earlier) visit before his school year ended it counts as a junior OV and he'd be able to take another OV to RU that would count as a senior OV.

According to his rivals page he made an OV in June. Just visited Minnesota which he really seemed to like. Also visited Xavier. OV is scheduled for October but still up in the air.

More here:
https://n.rivals.com/news/minnesota-makes-a-good-impression-on-mitchell

I think every write-up on every recruit makes it sound like that the visit went great....basically, you could just change the name on the article and use it for just about every recruit.

No one says....that was a bad visit.

I think every write-up on every recruit makes it sound like that the visit went great....basically, you could just change the name on the article and use it for just about every recruit.

This is true but this kid was very impressed with that visit and so was his coach. I hope he visits as scheduled and then make the tough decision. I hope we get him.

Reactions: gregkoko

I had a kid tell me that he had a "very nice time."

I took that to mean that the visit did not go very well. It's really hard for a recruit to have a bad visit. These coaches quit a lot of time researching these kids and what they like & don't like. They know what type of restaurant to take them to, which player to use as the kid's host, what are the most important things to show the recruit during his visit & what's most important to show his family.

The visits are pretty choreographed.

What did McClung say after his visit to RU?

"I'd like to thank the Rutgers coaches for their support, but at this time I am decommitting from the University of Rutgers. Please respect my decision."

:Poop

Reactions: Rhuarc
That was my point. Not ALL visits get the "I had a nice time, visit went well" response.

I had a kid tell me that he had a "very nice time."

I took that to mean that the visit did not go very well. It's really hard for a recruit to have a bad visit. These coaches quit a lot of time researching these kids and what they like & don't like. They know what type of restaurant to take them to, which player to use as the kid's host, what are the most important things to show the recruit during his visit & what's most important to show his family.

The visits are pretty choreographed.
The only "bad" visit I recall is the tight end recruit from Connecticut who had committed to RU but had his offer pulled at the end of his OV. I'm sure he went home saying that was a bad visit.

Not sure how much Rutgers wanted him but Minnesota is a good program with a great Arena in a nice city .

Its not a good result to lose recruiting battles with league rivals.Rutgers needs front court help with the graduation of two seniors and nobody knows what will happen regarding transfers at the end of the season.

What did McClung say after his visit to RU?
McClung's quotes after his first Rutgers visit...
“The visit to New Jersey went great, and I love Rutgers. On the visit, I talked with Coach Pikiell and most of the staff. We also toured all the facilities. You can tell that the coaching staff is really just down to earth and they are all great people. They also treated me very well.”

“I spoke with coaches and they just said how much they like me and how I would fit into their offense, and Coach P also told me they would make me a better person off the court too. My overall favorite part of the trip was just hanging out with the coaching staff. They also had some awesome edits of me in the team’s locker room.”

“Coach P offered me right away. It was the first thing he said to me as soon as I walked into the room before the visit started. It's a great feeling to get the offer. It felt even better as I got to know them and tour the school to see what they had to offer.”

“Rutgers stands very high in my recruitment right now. I’m really excited about Rutgers basketball. I really don’t know when I plan on deciding, but the sooner the better.”

Explaining his reason to decommit...
“I originally committed to Rutgers and I have great respect for their coaches, players, and the basketball program. During my official visit to Rutgers, something did not feel right with me there. And because of that feeling, I decommitted.”

McClung's quotes after his first Rutgers visit...
“The visit to New Jersey went great, and I love Rutgers. On the visit, I talked with Coach Pikiell and most of the staff. We also toured all the facilities. You can tell that the coaching staff is really just down to earth and they are all great people. They also treated me very well.”

“I spoke with coaches and they just said how much they like me and how I would fit into their offense, and Coach P also told me they would make me a better person off the court too. My overall favorite part of the trip was just hanging out with the coaching staff. They also had some awesome edits of me in the team’s locker room.”

“Coach P offered me right away. It was the first thing he said to me as soon as I walked into the room before the visit started. It's a great feeling to get the offer. It felt even better as I got to know them and tour the school to see what they had to offer.”

“Rutgers stands very high in my recruitment right now. I’m really excited about Rutgers basketball. I really don’t know when I plan on deciding, but the sooner the better.”

Explaining his reason to decommit...
“I originally committed to Rutgers and I have great respect for their coaches, players, and the basketball program. During my official visit to Rutgers, something did not feel right with me there. And because of that feeling, I decommitted.”
Reading those quotes it is interesting that McClung didn't say anything about the players. His "favorite part of the trip was just hanging out with the coaching staff." Not his future teammates. The coaching staff.

At the end of the day it no longer matters but it makes me think that he and the players on the team did not hit it off.

Reading those quotes it is interesting that McClung didn't say anything about the players. His "favorite part of the trip was just hanging out with the coaching staff." Not his future teammates. The coaching staff.

At the end of the day it no longer matters but it makes me think that he and the players on the team did not hit it off.

And, that’s fine. I think it has to be a complete visit from both sides. In addition, feeling good academically, facilities wise and team mate wise. No problem at all with this type of thing.

Reactions: Russ Wood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT