ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Martice Mitchell to Visit

So who is our biggest target at this point? Looks like Cliff Omoruyi is predicted to go to Arizona State. This class doesn't look very promising.

Starting to look like recruiting may not be Pikiell's strong point. Too many swings and misses adding up.

Starting to look like recruiting may not be Pikiell's strong point. Too many swings and misses adding up.

Mathis, Duke, Mulcahy. All recruits other teams wanted & Pike beat out. At Rutgers. As well as finding guys like Baker & Harper. He's doing just fine. Every coach swings and misses on recruits from Duke to Rutgers. Recruiting is a numbers game. More recruits you're involved with the better.

Reactions: littlenis5

As long as he keeps developing the players he's bringing in, I'm fine. Start winning games and the recruitment will come.

I hate to see these players go to in conference teams. Makes it harder to watch if they start burning Rutgers one night in December.

Reactions: MV9000
Pikiell and staff are good recruiters who have to overcome past decades of failure at Rutgers.Perception matters in sports recruiting.Rutgers must achieve a winning season before higher level recruits will choose Rutgers over other options.Its really a catch 22 scenario where winning translates into better recruiting.

Reactions: gregkoko
Pikiell and staff are good recruiters who have to overcome past decades of failure at Rutgers.Perception matters in sports recruiting.Rutgers must achieve a winning season before higher level recruits will choose Rutgers over other options.Its really a catch 22 scenario where winning translates into better recruiting.

I also suspect that Pike is at a disadvantage since we don't pay recruits here. The Bagman is a powerful recruiting tool at other schools...

Reactions: Scangg
I think this year’s W-L record is going to be really big on the recruitng front going forward—progress needs to be tangible.

Its easy for us to see the incredible progress under Pike but from the outside looking in, we're still under .500 and every team picks up unexpected wins from time to time. And more than any other state in the country, NJ tends to have a negative slant towards their state university. In some ways our unique name plays into that - New Jersey residents don't automatically see Rutgers as "their" university since we're not New Jersey State.

Doesn't make our task impossible, just makes it a little more difficult. Granted, the biggest negative is years of futility. As Jmm said, gotta win the games before people jump on board.

Don't worry, it's coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT