ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 ATH Deondre Johnson commits to RFootball

Maybe we'll start to complete those fade endzone patterns now. I have yet to see a successful one, but we sure as hell keep trying them.

Last edited:
He is recruited as an athlete. He puts weight on, he could be TE.
Shows some good stuff in the highlights. Okay with contact, goes up to catch ball, doesn't wait for it... would like to see more explosiveness.. that will come with strength training... turn those legs into weapons. Already pretty good with lots of room for growth. Wish him all the best.

"intriguing prospect" is spot on. Kid has size, obviously, good hands, and decent speed, which are great raw materials, and I loved that he was clearly a competitor, judging by quite a few highlights of him blocking (in one case 4 guys on the same play!) and his defensive play - that often can't be taught. So many possibilities, even a rush end, lol (he got a few nice sacks - Ted Hendricks, once he fills out, lol). I don't get too excited on verbals, since so much can change, but this is a nice pick-up, IMO.

"intriguing prospect" is spot on. Kid has size, obviously, good hands, and decent speed, which are great raw materials, and I loved that he was clearly a competitor, judging by quite a few highlights of him blocking (in one case 4 guys on the same play!) and his defensive play - that often can't be taught. So many possibilities, even a rush end, lol (he got a few nice sacks - Ted Hendricks, once he fills out, lol). I don't get too excited on verbals, since so much can change, but this is a nice pick-up, IMO.
how many “intriguing” prospects the teams we compete with like Ohio state and Penn state recruit ?

While a 4 star recruit- Brandon Coleman was 6'6" when recruited and about 200 lbs. Carlton Agudosi was 6'6" and about 200 lbs.

His film looks good. He will get more offers. Schiano in early. In Greg I Trust.

9ky2.gif

An interesting prospect. In 2 years he could grow into something completely different. As for the music, I think we can do a lot better.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
An interesting prospect. In 2 years he could grow into something completely different. As for the music, I think we can do a lot better.
That group is opening for the Black Keys this summer. 😜 It's fun music for a highlight video.

Todderick's take:

"Rutgers had been eyeing Johnson, a 6-8, 200-pound junior, for two months, and things checked out when he visited on Saturday. He was as long and athletic as advertised, so Schiano offered and closed the deal .. all in one sitting."

"Johnson could play as many as four positions in P-Way - wide receiver, tight end, defensive end and Edge."

"offers from West Virginia and Utah and interest from Colorado State."

More like can we say our very own Harold Carmichael . This kid could be a steal . Watch how many more offers he gets going forward. Like what I see and athletically appears to be silky smooth.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Really big (right now just tall) and athletic people who can move.

What’s not to like.

How big was Alejandro Villanueva when he first got to Army? He turned out okay.

More like can we say our very own Harold Carmichael . This kid could be a steal . Watch how many more offers he gets going forward. Like what I see and athletically appears to be silky smooth.
Or if he really packs on the weight our own Ed "too tall" Jones.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Congrats to the kid and hope he does well. Looks like he got the skills to play at the next level. Just a matter if he can do this vs P5 teams as a WR or TE. I’d give him every shot in the world to play at those spots first. Heck, can he play DB at that level?

How’s the competition Newburgh Academy plays against?

Reactions: Rokodesh
I guess this answers the question:

Would you recruit a kid who is good and tall or good and short?

Not to burst anybody’s bubble, but US News has us ranked 63rd in 2022 among national universities, tied with PSU.
The brand new 2022-2023 rankings just came out and we are at number 57 in the world by the CWUR. Whether in academics or athletics, always use the ranking that has Rutgers the highest.

Last edited:
I am very skeptical about any college rankings, however, in popular culture US News rankings tend to be used the most.
Exactly, “popular culture”, more like flavor of the month.

There is a great article in the NYT(?) that told how Northeastern figured out the algorithm used by US News to game the system and move up on the list. Way up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT