ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 ATH/TE Dante Barone flips to UPenn

Can’t wait until the doomsayers come out of hiding to say how bad this is. Happy for Barone but he was a long shot here. I remember people questioning his 3*** ranking. Good another ship opens up and Mr.Barone good luck at UPenn . You can enjoy the fruits of the financial world ( if there still is one in a few years) or better yet go the route of a Physician . Have several family members who graduated from the Medical College. Aloha !!!!!!!!!!!

Can’t wait until the doomsayers come out of hiding to say how bad this is. Happy for Barone but he was a long shot here. I remember people questioning his 3*** ranking. Good another ship opens up and Mr.Barone good luck at UPenn . You can enjoy the fruits of the financial world ( if there still is one in a few years) or better yet go the route of a Physician . Have several family members who graduated from the Medical College. Aloha !!!!!!!!!!!
And how is it a good thing? If he was a long shot to make it here, why did the staff bother offering him so early in the cycle?

Reactions: Caliknight
Go back some months and there were questions not academically but on his size and his other similar d 1 Dline attributes. It is a good thing we need DT or DE through the portal. A mature and perhaps better than a HS 3 star.

As an added tidbit the reason we offered Barone is because the kid going to A&M was hopefully going to commit here and so I believe we figured Barone might help persuade him to come to Rutgers instead of A&M .pretty sure that is why we offered that early. We could just as easily have held off .

As an added tidbit the reason we offered Barone is because the kid going to A&M was hopefully going to commit here and so I believe we figured Barone might help persuade him to come to Rutgers instead of A&M .pretty sure that is why we offered that early. We could just as easily have held off .
The ATM guy didn’t go to Hun School.

I love how as soon as a kid flips from Rutgers posters come out of the woodwork to tell us what a loser the kid was, undersized, slow, not athletic, etc., etc. Question, if that is all true, then why did Schiano and Co. recruit this kid to begin with, are they clueless and blind?

Nobody called him a loser .We can do better and hopefully we will .
Makes no sense, why did we waste an offer on a kid when we can do better? I am not buying it, way too much spin going on with Schiano 2.0. What you are telling us is that the staff is throwing away offers to kids who will not be able to help us compete in our division, that is very, very troubling.

Makes no sense, why did we waste an offer on a kid when we can do better? I am not buying it, way too much spin going on with Schiano 2.0. What you are telling us is that the staff is throwing away offers to kids who will not be able to help us compete in our division, that is very, very troubling.
Well, if he is an IVY type of kid, he could have helped our APR stats for 5 win bowl games. Lol

Kid has said that he wants to major in business... Several former Hun School players play for Penn, including Dante's brother Francesco who's a freshman DB and who's enrolled in the Wharton School of Business... RU recruited Barone as an H-back on offense, which he preferred, rather than as a DL. Not sure if things changed considering RU's current offense and any offensive changes that occurred since he was recruited, but regardless, he should go where he thinks he'll be better off.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU and RUBOB72
At the time we offered this kid for one reason he was a 3*** who they thought could be developed over a couple of years. I ‘m sure the decision was Barone’s not the staff. You can find a DT in the Portal one who can come in immediately and compete. The fact he is on the smallish side. I would bet he’s not 6’3” and not 270lbs.

It’s only troubling if you let it be so.

I love how as soon as a kid flips from Rutgers posters come out of the woodwork to tell us what a loser the kid was, undersized, slow, not athletic, etc., etc. Question, if that is all true, then why did Schiano and Co. recruit this kid to begin with, are they clueless and blind?
Sour Grapes. "We didn't want him anyway."

Didn't know much about him but with him gone we are now ranked at 60 in recruiting and haven't had a commit in two months so this this staff needs to get in gear.

Go back some months and there were questions not academically but on his size and his other similar d 1 Dline attributes. It is a good thing we need DT or DE through the portal. A mature and perhaps better than a HS 3 star.

Went back to his commitment thread.
One person questioned his size.
But then someone shot that down and even compared him to MSU Heyward - specifically about size.

I get it - the general response to "under recruited" commits is "Trust HC Schiano. He knows what he's doing" and that makes sense.
But when said recruit decommits, you can't play the "oh, well he wasn't that good of a commitment anyway" card.
Either have to trust HC Schiano or not.

Last edited:
I don’t believe anyone said Barone wasn’t any good however his size was a question mark and the position as an H back well that’s also a question still to be answered at U Penn.

Didn't know much about him but with him gone we are now ranked at 60 in recruiting and haven't had a commit in two months so this this staff needs to get in gear.
Why are you so worried ? There will be a few HS commits I believe and I would wager that we will definitely hit the transfer portal hard again.I would think WR and TE and a QB and D line will come from the portal We May even see a LBer and DB as well.

This
Our 2023 class has very few desirable recruits that other P5 programs want.
Greg offering level has been adjusted.

I fixed the link above.
Someone originally questioned his size.
Ironically, you responded implying his size was fine.
Seems his size was fine at the time.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...mmits-to-rutgers-football.241771/post-5715823
The fact is I said his size was fine if they used him like Heyward at MSU. To be honest I have only seen some pics and film . Do you believe he’s 6’3” 270 lbs now? I am skeptical with almost all listed heights and weights and not only at Rutgers. Could he play HB? Could he gain weight and be able to carry it? If he were that great a prospect he would have had more P-5 offers. I wish him well in school and on the field but something changed. Maybe a good choice now for both the prospect and school.

I thought Greg mentioned somewhere that this years "high school" class will be small. Mentioned that more emphasis will be on portal.

I thought Greg mentioned somewhere that this years "high school" class will be small. Mentioned that more emphasis will be on portal.
There are many on the board who actually think Schiano is a bad coach, incompetent, can’t recruit players and should be gone. Once you have experienced them here you realize most really only use the board as a place to voice their pent up coaching frustrations .If you show any support of Schiano right away your heads in the clouds . Very few coached in either high school or college yet they are ok giving advice on a program which for 6 years was put into the crapper by not one but two former HC’s. The class will be on the smaller side that is fact. The main focus will be on the portal. It is a way to bolster the youngsters and perhaps inject some much needed offensive power into that side of the football . Greg Schiano will be successful here once again . It is a 5 year rebuild just like the first tour. I’ll stick to going 7-5 or even 8-4 in 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT