ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NWCA All Star Classic

mikemessner

Junior
Feb 21, 2021
The 2023 NWCA All-Star Classic presented by Cliff Keen will take place on Tuesday, November 21, 2023, at 7:00 pm (ET) at Rec Hall on the campus of Penn State. This event can be viewed only on FloWrestling and will feature 10 highly ranked Division 1 folkstyle matchups along with 4 cross-divisional women’s freestyle matches. Check out the match lineups below for both the men’s and women’s divisions.

2023 NWCA All-Star Classic Men’s Matchups:​

125: #1 Matt Ramos, Purdue vs #2 Anthony Noto, Lock Haven

133: #4 Sam Latona, Virginia Tech vs #6 Connor McGonagle, Lehigh

141: #3 Lachlan McNeil, North Carolina vs #6 Clay Carlson, South Dakota State

149: #2 Shayne Van Ness, Penn State vs #3 Kyle Parco, Arizona State

157: #1 Levi Haines, Penn State vs #4 Jacori Teemer, Arizona State

165: #4 Dean Hamiti, Wisconsin vs #6 Izzak Olejnik, Oklahoma State

174: #1 Carter Starocci, Penn State vs #3 Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech

184: #1 Parker Keckeisen, Northern Iowa vs #2 Bernie Truax, Penn State

197: #1 Aaron Brooks, Penn State vs #2 Tanner Sloan, South Dakota State

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet, Penn State vs #2 Wyatt Hendrickson, Air Force

2023 NWCA All-Star Classic Women’s Matchups:​

116: #1Jaslynn Gallegos, North Central (NCAA) vs #2 Samara Chavez, King (NCAA)

130: #1 Sarah Savidge, Life (NAIA) vs #2 Alexis Janiak, Aurora (NCAA)

136: #1 Adaugo Nwachukwu, William Penn (NAIA) vs #1 Yele Aycock, North Central (NCAA)

160: #1 Marlynne Deede, Iowa (NCAA) vs #1 Latifah McBryde, Life (NAIA)

Cool lineup. Is it NCAA sanctioned? Like it counts towards records and seeding? Trying to wrap my head around how the sport can put on a cool event like that while also seeing multiple teams and wrestlers duck opponents throughout the season. I guess there’s a reason no kids from Iowa, Michigan, UNC, etc were invited.

Reactions: Leonard23
Cool lineup. Is it NCAA sanctioned? Like it counts towards records and seeding? Trying to wrap my head around how the sport can put on a cool event like that while also seeing multiple teams and wrestlers duck opponents throughout the season. I guess there’s a reason no kids from Iowa, Michigan, UNC, etc were invited.
No they are exhibition matches so doesn’t count on record nor for RPI. Will people that rank use them yes they will, as they should in my opinion.

Finished 3rd last year...behind Yanni and Sasso. He is a favorite to win it this year.
Even tho SVN finished 3rd he came into NCAA w/ 12th seed. Hmm I was about to say, from what I observed, wrestlers that have inconsistent regular season and turn hot at ncaa’s is a mix bag to how they do the following year… but seems like all of SVN’s losses were to elite guys..

I still would have Lovett or if Gomez returns to be the fav to win over SVN though.

Even tho SVN finished 3rd he came into NCAA w/ 12th seed. Hmm I was about to say, from what I observed, wrestlers that have inconsistent regular season and turn hot at ncaa’s is a mix bag to how they do the following year… but seems like all of SVN’s losses were to elite guys..

I still would have Lovett or if Gomez returns to be the fav to win over SVN though.
Yea, I would have Lovett a favorite(I did not mean he IS the favorite, I should have written it as one of the favorites). I think I would pick him over Gomez. His 12 seed was way too low, but out of his 6 losses 3 were very close to losses to Murin(and Murin was 8 seed). So 9 was highest he could get.....I also think SVN will make another big jump this year.

SVN had Yanni beat in the semis. If he just stayed away instead of engaging for the last 20 seconds he could very well be a national champ right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT