ADVERTISEMENT

3 defensive backs transferring out of Auburn

rutgersdave

Hall of Famer
Jan 23, 2004
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/15/kamryn-melton-transfer-auburn-tigers?xid=si_ncaaf

There appears to be more and more players transferring out of schools when they aren't the starters. Virginia starting QB last year is transferring out after losing the starting position. Would this help Rutgers in the future with more and more leaving the football factory? Players are not willing to sit as backups. Malik Zaire, So ND QB, will be there 3 more years while Wimbush sits 3 years before starting or transferring and they have a 4 star as back up now one year ahead of Wimbush. I have to assume JG went to Tenn with the option of transferring to Rutgers if things don't work out.

Given enough time, I think it might help second tier schools if these guys find success (and a path to the NFL) at other schools. If it begins happening frequently enough, they may not even commit to a school when there are already a stable of other top rated guys at their position.

I started a thread on how the top 5 pro style QBs fared from 2010 to 2013. Many of the transfers do not go to P5 schools. Gunner Kiel is a good example--wondering why he went to Cincinnati--did he have P5 offers?

I started a thread on how the top 5 pro style QBs fared from 2010 to 2013. Many of the transfers do not go to P5 schools. Gunner Kiel is a good example--wondering why he went to Cincinnati--did he have P5 offers?

He transferred from ND

I could be wrong about this, but don't schools have the right to choose where they'll let you transfer to? If that's the case, that would explain a lot there.

a lot of players are told they are going to be the guy when they get recruited. All of them have always be number 1 on the depth chart their whole lives. So when some of them realize they are number 3 or 4 they get frustrated. They also begin to worry about their shot at making it to the NFL. As much as all of these guy want to win, they also want to play

It seems rational. College is the last shot at playing for a lot of these kids. Playing football on a bad team is more fun than sitting the bench on a good team.

Reactions: Garyboi
It seems rational. College is the last shot at playing for a lot of these kids. Playing football on a bad team is more fun than sitting the bench on a good team.
For some it's being in and playing for the college you always wanted to go to and just being a member of that school's team is satisfying enough for them.
Playing time is desired, but being a member of the team keeps many career backups happy .

I have no ill will for JG. I wish him well (Tennessee is my brother-in-law's team).
My hope is that if he should choose to transfer down the road, he will look at RU and conclude that he wouldn't get playing time here.

Said it when he "committed" to Tenn, best of luck to JG, and in two years when he transfers back here. It does seem like transfers are happening more and more frequently all the more reason to stop making these hs kids out to be saviors when they have yet to play a down of college football.

I have no ill will for JG. I wish him well (Tennessee is my brother-in-law's team).
My hope is that if he should choose to transfer down the road, he will look at RU and conclude that he wouldn't get playing time here.

I feel otherwise...some guys come later..fine...not this guy

Reactions: okieKnight
Gunner Kiel,was a head case coming out of high school. He committed to Indiana, then decommitted and committed to LSU. By National LOI day he decommitted from LSU and committed to Notre Dame. And as mentioned he eventually transferred to Cincinnati.

The argument that a player shouldn't go to a school with other top prospects because of the competition or because they were misled into believing that they are "The Man", is a poor attempt to villainize those successful programs and make you feel better about yourself.

First of all coaches have a limited scholarship number to give out. Coaches don't look at Star rankings. 3 Star or 5 Star, If they don't think that a player has the ability to play, they wouldn't be offered.

Maybe at a program with less talent a player might be told that coming to the school would make them the man, because they would be.

At the Alabama's, OSU's, USC's, and FSU's, the guys,on their hot list are told that they are wanted, that they would fit in nicely with the team, offense/defense, and other players. Told that they will have the opportunity to win a starting spot and if they do, then big things may happen, but the coaches don't have to promise guarantees because they don't have to put all of their eggs in one prospect's basket.

The argument that a player shouldn't go to a school with other top prospects because of the competition or because they were misled into believing that they are "The Man", is a poor attempt to villainize those successful programs and make you feel better about yourself.

First of all coaches have a limited scholarship number to give out. Coaches don't look at Star rankings. 3 Star or 5 Star, If they don't think that a player has the ability to play, they wouldn't be offered.

Maybe at a program with less talent a player might be told that coming to the school would make them the man, because they would be.

At the Alabama's, OSU's, USC's, and FSU's, the guys,on their hot list are told that they are wanted, that they would fit in nicely with the team, offense/defense, and other players. Told that they will have the opportunity to win a starting spot and if they do, then big things may happen, but the coaches don't have to promise guarantees because they don't have to put all of their eggs in one prospect's basket.

I don't think it's an argument that a player *shouldn't* go to a school with other top prospects. If more and more of these players end up transferring out and finding success at other programs, that may trend in the direction of that level of player avoiding that situation in the first place. All the power to a kid who is confident he can crack a depth chart with a stack of top prospects already in the program at his position - but if several of the kids that don't see the field immediately choose to transfer and play rather than stay and sit, that will probably help parity overall (especially with regard to second tier schools).

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/15/kamryn-melton-transfer-auburn-tigers?xid=si_ncaaf

There appears to be more and more players transferring out of schools when they aren't the starters. Virginia starting QB last year is transferring out after losing the starting position. Would this help Rutgers in the future with more and more leaving the football factory? Players are not willing to sit as backups. Malik Zaire, So ND QB, will be there 3 more years while Wimbush sits 3 years before starting or transferring and they have a 4 star as back up now one year ahead of Wimbush. I have to assume JG went to Tenn with the option of transferring to Rutgers if things don't work out.
Your not going to win much building a program made out of other school's rejects. You might be able to win in the MAC or AAC doing that. Most of these guys don't pan out at their new school. For every Russel Wilson there probably 20 who Have little or no impact. Sure one here and there might help but you can't make up for poor recruiting.

I would not take JG back even if he wanted to return. He played us and strung us along.

My prediction was that if JG doesn't cut it at TN he will almost certainly use the health of his family as the reason to try to move back to this area without sitting out. It's in the stars considering how his recruitment was scripted.

My prediction was that if JG doesn't cut it at TN he will almost certainly use the health of his family as the reason to try to move back to this area without sitting out. It's in the stars considering how his recruitment was scripted.

I think the NCAA has already, or will shortly, eliminate the transfer without sitting out option.

Letting kids transfer without losing any eligibility would solve a bunch. I support such a system. If these coaches can pick up leaving for another school for big bucks, well a kid who sees the grass as greener at some other school should be able to do the same -- no penalty.

and, Go Cats !!

He transferred from ND

That kid stung along his home state team, Indiana, much worse than JG did to us. He went from committing to Indy then to LSU, attending ND then to transfered to Cincy. What a waste.

Letting kids transfer without losing any eligibility would solve a bunch. I support such a system. If these coaches can pick up leaving for another school for big bucks, well a kid who sees the grass as greener at some other school should be able to do the same -- no penalty.

and, Go Cats !!

IMO, that would be chaos. Kids would be scrambling to leave each year to find a starting spot.

Reactions: Rokodesh
You can't let kids transfer without sitting. I coach would go into his AD's office and demand millions more or "I'll take the entire team, all 85 guys, to my new school. You'll be finished for 10yrs."

The problem is that SEC schools will use mid major schools as a minor league. They over sign, then "cut" kids who sign with Middle Tennessee, then "transfer" to the SEC school in future years if needed.

and, Go Cats !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT