ADVERTISEMENT

How to recruit and construct a roster in the current environment of no transfer restrictions and no rules NIL/caps and no multi year binding contracts

rubigtimenow

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
Lots of general things have been brought up such as less recruits signing out of high school to high D1, the obvious need to hit the portal hard, Calipari saying maybe only 8-9 players on the roster, etc.
What’s becoming abundantly clear is everybody is year-to-year. It’s foolish to think you can recruit someone and keep them for more than 1 year unless you have a bigger bag next year. Thinking someone is going to develop and stay 3-4 years? Unicorns.
What do people think is the best way to go about devoting your time and resources?
What about only recruiting guys you know/ highly expect to impact your team in your likely 8-man rotation for the next coming year?
I’m thinking probably a 10-man roster.
I’m thinking for high school this means foregoing everyone except top 100 or so guys. The much larger population you’re researching and recruiting is all D1 and D2.
High school guys that would be good or even great in 2-3 years but aren’t ready for this year? Sorry, I have no need for you because I will have a hard time keeping you.
Transfers that have more than 1 year of eligibility remaining? Ehh, means very little to me. It’s ALL about this coming year.
Thoughts?

Lots of general things have been brought up such as less recruits signing out of high school to high D1, the obvious need to hit the portal hard, Calipari saying maybe only 8-9 players on the roster, etc.
What’s becoming abundantly clear is everybody is year-to-year. It’s foolish to think you can recruit someone and keep them for more than 1 year unless you have a bigger bag next year. Thinking someone is going to develop and stay 3-4 years? Unicorns.
What do people think is the best way to go about devoting your time and resources?
What about only recruiting guys you know/ highly expect to impact your team in your likely 8-man rotation for the next coming year?
I’m thinking for high school this means foregoing everyone except top 100 or so guys. The much larger population you’re researching and recruiting is all D1 and D2.
High school guys that would be good or even great in 2-3 years but aren’t ready for this year? Sorry, I have no need for you because I will have a hard time keeping you.
Transfers that have more than 1 year of eligibility remaining? Ehh, means very little to me. It’s ALL about this coming year.
Thoughts?

Yeah that’s exactly the unfortunate state of college basketball right now.

Although I wonder if there IS a place for kids outside the top 100 - I mean Dortch and Grant are likely down in the depth chart. I have to assume they know that and accept that. Maybe those are developmental players (who develop and contribute in subsequent year(s)… and THEN transfer LOL)

One thing for sure is that if the major programs go for this lower roster number method there is going to be a lot less opportunity for the lower players. It will be a team of 8-10 plus walk on practice players.
Those players lower players will be recruited over annually.

One thing for sure is that if the major programs go for this lower roster number method there is going to be a lot less opportunity for the lower players. It will be a team of 8-10 plus walk on practice players.
Those players lower players will be recruited over annually.

Or more opportunities.

How many times have we heard (in both football and basketball):
Don't go to Alabama or Duke or Kentucky or Ohio State and ride the bench. They will just recruit over you with a 5 star next year. Come to Rutgers and be featured. Be a marquee player here instead of an after thought somewhere else."

Now it may be Duke or Kansas forcing these recruits out as well from the othet end. And into Rutgers arms.

Here we go what Rutgers fake die hards do the best talk about the solutions and give opinions blah blah blah. Everyone knows that money talks and BS walks in 2024 recruiting. We lost our starting center who loves it here because of money and some of you can blame him still. One of the greatest seasons in our history can now be just another season because Rutgers fans talk and give advice BUT never open up the wallet to win. That’s the bottom line we won’t win because collectively we are cheap and other fan bases are not. Pike and Schiano have both come out practically begging for his fans to get involved and it’s crickets crickets and these dumb threads.

Here we go what Rutgers fake die hards do the best talk about the solutions and give opinions blah blah blah. Everyone knows that money talks and BS walks in 2024 recruiting. We lost our starting center who loves it here because of money and some of you can blame him still. One of the greatest seasons in our history can now be just another season because Rutgers fans talk and give advice BUT never open up the wallet to win. That’s the bottom line we won’t win because collectively we are cheap and other fan bases are not. Pike and Schiano have both come out practically begging for his fans to get involved and it’s crickets crickets and these dumb threads.
If it’s a dumb thread then why did you care enough to post a long response?
The point of the thread is seeing what people think about how they would adjust recruiting focus/energy and maybe roster size etc.
And I donate plenty to RU.

Reactions: socaldave
It's not up to the fans. It's getting the NJ Governor and local politicians and the Rutgers administration and Rutgers Athletics to tap into the financial capital and business enterprises and media resources that are just cross the Hudson River. Politicians and administrators are highly skilled revenue raisers. Get to work. Lesser public universities align themselves with Walmart and FedEx and oilmen and accomplished graduates of the school, etc. Who the heck are we aligned with?

Fans need to relax....there are 362 D1 programs and assuming all 13 scholarships are filled, that's around 4700+ players.

If fans want to carve the list down to the "Top 8" on all 362 programs, that's probably a more accurate amount of players that can help a program.

There are kids at RU, Purdue, Michigan State and others that are NOT going to immediately transfer or hit the portal after each season. The NIL "pie" just gets carved up to the players at RU who earn it. Those players like JWill are not going to play for 4 schools in 4 years.

The safe assumption is you get 2 years out of a recruit, if they perform to their potential.

And I'm not quite sure why this is a problem for RU.....the roster last year didn't perform and we revamped an entire roster in under 90 days. We went from 13th in the B1G to likely Top 25 preseason.

I'm very happy with the ability to be in a great conference that allows us to upgrade immediately in 1 year, with another player who has proven themselves elsewhere AND allows our HS recruits to develop into 3 or 4 year players.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
If it’s a dumb thread then why did you care enough to post a long response?
The point of the thread is seeing what people think about how they would adjust recruiting focus/energy and maybe roster size etc.
And I donate plenty to RU.
As you know, I'm very pro NIL and playing the game. But every time that guy talks I want to give him a beating. He does nothing but turn people off towards giving.

BTW the off shoot to this is that with smaller rosters a lot of those low major schools get much improved rosters and that will lead to even more March Madness upsets.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Or more opportunities.

How many times have we heard (in both football and basketball):
Don't go to Alabama or Duke or Kentucky or Ohio State and ride the bench. They will just recruit over you with a 5 star next year. Come to Rutgers and be featured. Be a marquee player here instead of an after thought somewhere else."

Now it may be Duke or Kansas forcing these recruits out as well from the othet end. And into Rutgers arms.
yes. I meant the overall number of players getting chances to play/earn ships IF teams reduce roster spots to manage costs, etc. to focus on say just 8-10 players. Perhaps less scholarships given out and bench filled with walk-on-practice players.

No idea what you are talking about with regard to this thread. Not even close to the discussion the OP was attempting to start. Swing and a miss here sir.

Thoughts?
So exactly how Pike built his roster this year? Except maybe roster size
Maybe. Let’s see what we end up with.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
As you know, I'm very pro NIL and playing the game. But every time that guy talks I want to give him a beating. He does nothing but turn people off towards giving.

BTW the off shoot to this is that with smaller rosters a lot of those low major schools get much improved rosters and that will lead to even more March Madness upsets.
I don’t think anyone has that much sway on what people do with their discretionary funds.

f8703721-087e-4f61-9e73-9edb6cb04883_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT