ADVERTISEMENT

Offense next year

Clearly the RU coaches couldn't come up with the magically efficient offensive system that could generate 80 points per game with players who couldn't shoot 3s, make layups, or score from the post, midrange, or in transition. I'm sure this imaginary "Offensive Coordinator" that people want Pike to hire could have turned this group into the Durant/Curry/Thompson Warriors without anybody developing any actual skills.

Obviously a better system wouldn't help this past year.
But getting better players with a bad system is just the same.

Good system - bad players: negative results
But that's better than a bad system with bad players.
Then you end up with bad system - good players: still likely negative results.

The system is within the staffs control and easiest to change.

Supposedwe had a player who literally shot 80% on open 3s.
The defense knows this so they don't help off him.

If the system isn't putting him in movement on off ball screens or creating space for him - he's useless most of the game.

Just because we don't have those players now, doesn't mean you just punt on an edffective offense.

Reactions: RUDivision
Haven’t seen a lot of games in the past few weeks with teams with supposedly good offensive systems like UConn, my conclusion is those teams made a lot of tough shots. Good shooters making tough shots.
The issues are 99% personnel related. Fix that (they appear to be headed in the right direction) and the team will be very competitive. Pike is a great coach but he clearly has a defensive identity. Anyone who doesn’t like that is not going to enjoy watching his teams.

This goes without saying, but there needs to be a complete overhaul in offensive philosophy starting today. Obviously having Dylan and Ace will help tremendously and they will be able to create shots on their own and for others just by them being potential lottery players. But, we can't just expect two freshman to bail us out time after time because our offense sucks and our players don't have offensive IQ and an offensive identity to fall back on.

I think it was Snagg that posted what UConn runs and it is crazy the amount of off ball movement and lack of the ball sticking they have in their offense. Now that is an extreme example and we don't have to do exactly that but it has to be somewhere inbetween that and what we currently do (middle pick and roll) and stand around off the ball. We need way more off ball movement to occupy the weak side and give our handlers other options besides having to create off the high pick and roll. Having more shooters will obviously help as well but you have to make the defense move and then attack closeouts or hopefully get a defensive mistake because they have to guard multiple actions off the ball. I don't really understand year after year that we don't consistently run action that is repeatable and flows.

For example, the Daily Targum writer had a great point in his tweet after the game which I've been saying for at least a year. We set up to run something (high horns or zoom action; both action, we do try to start to run some things once in awhile) and then the other teams take away the initial read (duh, this is college basketball where they know what you are going to do and scout you). Then, we have no counter action to flow into and the possessions then end up in iso or a predictable middle or high ball screen. The kids either have no IQ or there is no offensive coach or teacher getting these kids to understand what to do or flow into when teams take away your first or second read. At the high school level we teach this so I find it hard to believe at the D1 college level they can't get the kids to flow into other actions or counters where the ball doesn't stick and we stand around. This also isnt exclusive to this year etiher, we just didn't have better players to bail us out. Something has got to give in the offseason and pike and the assistants need to look at themselves and self scout. If we were playing defense on our offense, how easy would it to be for us to guard and why. Then, figure out what offenses are hard to guard and why, and how we can mesh it with our personnel next year. Other coaches and teams are able to do this, why not us?
With the exception of 10-15 teams in the Power 6 , a lot of offense has come down to iso or pick and roll but that only works if you have players. We will have players next year and Dylan , ACE and Lathan will more than likely beat their man guarding them over and over again. I expect teams to play a ton of zone against us next year because our guys will be better than who they are going against .
Now UConn runs some great sets but watching all the teams around the country , there is more freelance and one on one than set plays.
Pike has to tweak the offense just a little. More ball movement , screens , staggered screens and double screens.

With the exception of 10-15 teams in the Power 6 , a lot of offense has come down to iso or pick and roll but that only works if you have players. We will have players next year and Dylan , ACE and Lathan will more than likely beat their man guarding them over and over again. I expect teams to play a ton of zone against us next year because our guys will be better than who they are going against .
Now UConn runs some great sets but watching all the teams around the country , there is more freelance and one on one than set plays.
Pike has to tweak the offense just a little. More ball movement , screens , staggered screens and double screens.
No. Didn’t you read his post? We need a complete offensive overhaul so badly that it goes without saying.

Last edited:
There are a lot of fans that don’t understand that difference. They see Rutgers struggling on offense and just assume it’s the sets they run. Most good P6 offensive teams don't run complex systems. They have very good players running simple movements/screens to get the right player a shot. We are just missing the right player to make a shot.

No. Didn’t you read his post? We need a complete offensive overhaul so badly that it goes without saying.
I read his post but not a reality. Pike doesn’t run Princeton like sets or even Wisconsin. Wisconsin was even more 2 man game this year with AJ Storrsand Keslmit . Almost all the SEC schools rely on their athleticism over what they run . Big 12 as well. Their better athletes beat the defense. We will have the better athletes. We need a rebounder and another 3 point shooting guard more than we need a full offensive reset.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I read his post but not a reality. Pike doesn’t run Princeton like sets or even Wisconsin. Wisconsin was even more 2 man game this year with AJ Storrsand Keslmit . Almost all the SEC schools rely on their athleticism over what they run . Big 12 as well. Their better athletes beat the defense. We will have the better athletes. We need a rebounder and another 3 point shooting guard more than we need a full offensive reset.
I was being sarcastic and busting on the stupid OP. I totally agree with you.

Honest question, what offensive system works if you don't have any consistent threats from 3, or any players with a reliable post scoring move? I'll definitely implement that in my kids 10U league for some easy buckets.
pass to wing and have a guy on low box set a back screen for the guard who passed it to wing.

Takes a quarter for a rec team to figure it out

I was being sarcastic and busting on the stupid OP. I totally agree with you.
hey moron, if you don’t have a lot of talent and 1 on 1 players and creators like others mentioned , why would we run minimal motion and more iso and high screen roll? Lack of talent wouldn’t be good in that type of offense where you lack guys who can create on their own like the top 10-15 teams. Should Pike have just said , screw it Im going to run it anyways and next year with more talent it’ll work better? How about adjusting your offense to your personnel.

I believe Dylan has been in the weight room he is way more jacked than he was in previous years; the one who needs to be in the weight room is Gavin and he needs to hit it hard he just gets pushed around way too easy amongst other things
Spot on. Defenders just rip the ball out of his hands like they’re taking his lunch money

Your Cam takes are awful.
Calling JWill a complete offensive player is ridiculous. Then four other guys who have never stepped foot on a college court. Didn't you say the same about Gavin last year? Dortch and Grant are basically Mag as recruits, now they are complete players but Mag is awful?

I just watch tape....to say Mag is Grant and Dortch as the same type of player/recruit is hilarious. Mag is not a perimeter player and a poor perimeter shooter who doesn't dribble to create his offense and doesn't play above the rim. It's truly great that we have great fans, passionate fans, but literally no concepts or clearly don't watch basketball.

pass to wing and have a guy on low box set a back screen for the guard who passed it to wing.

Takes a quarter for a rec team to figure it out
hey moron, if you don’t have a lot of talent and 1 on 1 players and creators like others mentioned , why would we run minimal motion and more iso and high screen roll? Lack of talent wouldn’t be good in that type of offense where you lack guys who can create on their own like the top 10-15 teams. Should Pike have just said , screw it Im going to run it anyways and next year with more talent it’ll work better? How about adjusting your offense to your personnel.
Your tone is what makes your post so stupid. It's fine to think we need a new offensive philosophy. I happen to disagree and think people are going off the deep end after one bad season. But I think it goes without saying that your opinion is not universal.

Your tone is what makes your post so stupid. It's fine to think we need a new offensive philosophy. I happen to disagree and think people are going off the deep end after one bad season. But I think it goes without saying that your opinion is not universal.
You're the one who called it a stupid OP and more people share my opinion on this board that yours. It's not the bad overall season. The offense efficiency hasn't been good the last few seasons. If you actually read by original post, I said i would like it to be somewhere between what UConn does (ridiculous off ball movement and complex sets and what we do now). I'm not asking for a major overhaul, just more movement and flow and less iso and ball screen.

My post was for your 10U team and not RU basketball.

Have seen a lot of games in the past few weeks with teams with supposedly good offensive systems like UConn, my conclusion is those teams made a lot of tough shots. Good shooters making tough shots.
They also get layups and dunks because of ball and player movement.

Reactions: Shell21
I just watch tape....to say Mag is Grant and Dortch as the same type of player/recruit is hilarious. Mag is not a perimeter player and a poor perimeter shooter who doesn't dribble to create his offense and doesn't play above the rim. It's truly great that we have great fans, passionate fans, but literally no concepts or clearly don't watch basketball.
I think you need to learn to understand what you are watching when you watch tape. I haven't watched Grant at all since he's not playing this year, but Dortch is Mag. You see a highlight video with a couple three's in it and immediately assume he's a shooter. Dortch is not a perimeter player in anything I've seen, doesn't play above the rim, ect. He played on a team that I don't think even made their conference tournament that includes 6 levels of school size, to think he'll be a well rounded contributor year one is fairytale.

I think you need to learn to understand what you are watching when you watch tape. I haven't watched Grant at all since he's not playing this year, but Dortch is Mag. You see a highlight video with a couple three's in it and immediately assume he's a shooter. Dortch is not a perimeter player in anything I've seen, doesn't play above the rim, ect. He played on a team that I don't think even made their conference tournament that includes 6 levels of school size, to think he'll be a well rounded contributor year one is fairytale.
What do you expect from a guy who said we won’t miss Paul and Cam.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Exceptional players who can shoot, make those crazy shots , are what we need. There are only a small number of players who have that knack. All things equal give me a guy who can make 40% from 3, make a layup, make above 75% from the free throw line.

Hope we have one that resembles more than a grade 3 or 4 offense. No more standing around and picking their noses waiting for someone to do something before 5 seconds till the end of the possession would be nice!

Dylan and Ace are playing 30-32 minutes and they are not exerting much energy on defense. They play hard every other possession PLUS offense doesn't require the same intensity as D.

Dylan is going to go from playing D against a kid you would find at your local Y to having to chase Tominaga around the court.
Dylan actually got to play defense against Steph Curry, who I would bet is a fair amount better than Tominaga.

Obviously a better system wouldn't help this past year.
But getting better players with a bad system is just the same.

Good system - bad players: negative results
But that's better than a bad system with bad players.
Then you end up with bad system - good players: still likely negative results.

The system is within the staffs control and easiest to change.

Supposedwe had a player who literally shot 80% on open 3s.
The defense knows this so they don't help off him.

If the system isn't putting him in movement on off ball screens or creating space for him - he's useless most of the game.

Just because we don't have those players now, doesn't mean you just punt on an edffective offense.
I am sure next year’s offense had been heavily negotiated with Dylan and Ace’s representatives.

I thought Richie said Dortch was in the state finals as well?

Last edited:
I thought Richie said Dortch was in thr stste finals as well?
Yeah, it was my mistake, when I looked up his highlights, everything that was popping up was from his previous school in the same conference, hadn't realized he switched schools. Looks like he plays w a A&M (I think it was) recruit.

I suggest 2 things
1. spend 95% of practice on D
2. put Shelby on ignore

1 of these is serious and the other is not
You are most likely right that Pike spends more time on defense than the average team. No way it’s 95% but I assume you are exaggerating to make a point. My guess is the average team (when working on team concepts) spends 60-65% of their time on offense. Pike may be closer to 50%. This is purely a guess based on what I have personally observed at practice and from other teams.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
We have zero ball reversal and minimal drive and kicks. That's what bothers me the most about our offense.
Which was made worse by the shout first guards that could not shoot. Ball reversal and drive and kicks would have gotten better looks and more shots in rhythm. Might not have mattered because of how pathetic the shooting was across the board but it would have looked better. Someone watching would say they move the ball on offense , get great looks , and a shame they couldn’t knock down the shots.

I have to say the more I watch Somerville the more I have stars in my eyes. The kind of player we need to move our offense into the modern era. Hopefully when he's on the floor, we see a lot more five-out. Hoping whoever we target in the portal as a 5 has similar traits. Great hands and vision. Spread the floor

You are most likely right that Pike spends more time on defense than the average team. No way it’s 95% but I assume you are exaggerating to make a point. My guess is the average team (when working on team concepts) spends 60-65% of their time on offense. Pike may be closer to 50%. This is purely a guess based on what I have personally observed at practice and from other teams.
I am talking about Eagleton's 10U team....shouldn't even bring a basketball to practice.

As for Pike I'd bet they (and all teams) spend 75+% of time working on offense.

I am joking about what Eagleton should do by the way

Reactions: needmorecowbell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT