ADVERTISEMENT

Please forward this article to Steve about how Hurley adapted to a new offensive philosophy

snowboarder

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2004
I'm not trying to be a Pike antagonist. I love Steve and hope he is our coach for the next 20 years.
I also hope that he evolves and embraces the new game. (quickly or next year can be a disaster)
Steve only looks at the game from one side and this article is eye opening in how Hurley had to adapt to a more offensive philosophy.
Especially the evolution from and iso, pick and roll based offense to one that emphasizes movement and screens off the ball.
I really doubt that Ace and Dylan will be able to play the type of defense that Pike teams have historically expected their players to play. Add in Gavin and you get where I'm going. If Pike is determined to play as we have, we could have a very disappointing season ahead

These are my sentiments precisely. It could not be more glaring. The upcoming season will really show the state of the program and if it’s trending up or down. It’s been trending down last three seasons; that’s fine. But there will be no excuses with this roster. Add three portal players and get to work. Watch most of the competent teams in the tournament and it is night and day vs. Rutgers offensive philosophy (?). Not even the top players are that impressive or much different than what RU has; it’s the offensive system that provides good, high percentage shots with the occasional WOW move. Fix the offense and the team will get to 20+wins. It is not possible that RUs shooters have been so bad for years-players qualified for division I high majors don’t forget how to shoot; it is the shot selection and system that affords such.

Last edited:
These are my sentiments precisely. It could not be more glaring. The upcoming season will really show the state of the program and if it’s trending up or down. It’s been trending down last three seasons; that’s fine. But there will be no excuses with this roster. Add three portal players and get to work. Watch most of the competent teams in the tournament and it is night and day vs. Rutgers offensive philosophy (?). Not even the top players are that impressive or much different than what RU has; it’s the offensive system that provides good, high percentage shots with the occasional WOW move. Fix the offense and the team will get to 20+wins. It is not possible that RUs shooters have been so bad for years-players qualified for division I high majors don’t forget how to shoot; it is the shot selection and system that affords such.

While I agree on the system improvement, it is also the players.
As I pointed out in another thread, JWill shot 32% and 20% from 3pt his two years at Temple. Then came here and shot 25%.

It's a combination of getting (prioritizing?) better shooters and ALSO improving the system to get those better shooters better shots when the defense doesn't want us to shoot 3s.

Reactions: Chanticleer108
I can tell you as a fact Pike watches the NBA. He knows modern day offense. Whether he is willing to lower his standards on D is going to be the question.

The offensive concepts are the same as the ones used in Europe and by the better NBA teams. Particularly the Duncan-era Spurs and the Curry/Thompson/Durant Warriors juggernauts. Basically, the kind of basketball that gets criticized by people who hate the NBA.

Reactions: socaldave
I'm not trying to be a Pike antagonist. I love Steve and hope he is our coach for the next 20 years.
I also hope that he evolves and embraces the new game. (quickly or next year can be a disaster)
Steve only looks at the game from one side and this article is eye opening in how Hurley had to adapt to a more offensive philosophy.
Especially the evolution from and iso, pick and roll based offense to one that emphasizes movement and screens off the ball.
I really doubt that Ace and Dylan will be able to play the type of defense that Pike teams have historically expected their players to play. Add in Gavin and you get where I'm going. If Pike is determined to play as we have, we could have a very disappointing season ahead
funny cat GIF

How do you guys know how Pike thinks and why? Where do you come up this authoritative opinion as if is fact. The BS is excruciating.
Its an opinion and I never claimed to be an authority. I actually was using Danny Hurleys opinion on the new game and how it changed his program.
I couldn't possibly tell you what Pike is thinking but I believe the results we have seen on the court could certainly be expected to reflect on his priorities.
Rutgers has consistently been near the top in total defense nationally and near the bottom in offensive efficiency. I don't think this happens if his focus is not predominantly on defense.

How do you guys know how Pike thinks and why? Where do you come up this authoritative opinion as if is fact. The BS is excruciating.
The offensive product produced is BS
And it’s not exclusively because of the players. It is also the system it suxs no spacing standing around, stupid ball hand offs it suxs

We are low IQ offensive team, with bad shooters and a weak offensive plan. Something has to change.

Pike allowed the team to basically do whatever they wanted on offense.
- bigs leading the fast break
- deep 2's even when there is time on the shot clock
- guys driving to the hoop at 100 mph
- GG thinking the world will end if he doesn't shoot the ball anytime he touches it
- out of bounds plays designed to get a long 2
- feeding the ball to cliff regardless of how far out he is posted up
- pulling the ball out to stall and then go iso even though we had plenty of time on the clock (even worse when it was Simpson doing this)
- never even thinking about a 2 for 1 (never even making an effort to see if we can get a good look on the front end of a potential 2 for 1)
- shooters posing after releasing a 3. Do anything but pose.

We miss a lot of good looks so taking 10-14 bad shots a game is a death blow.

Hurts to say this but it is enjoyable to watch the Uconn offense. The non-stop action by everyone makes us look like we have a 2nd grade offense (the b team, not the a team).

You have no idea what he teaches but to be fair we don’t move enough. We get stagnant. But mostly this year at least we didn’t have the pieces.
You’re correct I don’t know what he teaches, they do stagnate and if he is teaching movement and they stagnate that is potentially a bigger problem. If he can’t get them to execute what he is teaching.
I am done debating this year on to next year.
I will let the Pike apologist continue, and hope for the best next season.
It has potential to be the best ever on the Banks. I will spend my energy on that!
Go RU!

You’re correct I don’t know what he teaches, they do stagnate and if he is teaching movement and they stagnate that is potentially a bigger problem. If he can’t get them to execute what he is teaching.
It has potential to be the best ever on the Banks. I will spend my energy on that!
Go RU!
Best ever means championship game so that’s a nice goal lol. Doubt you’re done. As to apologist that’s just deflection on your dumb comment.

Go RU!

Cat Sitting GIF

Its an opinion and I never claimed to be an authority. I actually was using Danny Hurleys opinion on the new game and how it changed his program.
I couldn't possibly tell you what Pike is thinking but I believe the results we have seen on the court could certainly be expected to reflect on his priorities.
Rutgers has consistently been near the top in total defense nationally and near the bottom in offensive efficiency. I don't think this happens if his focus is not predominantly on defense.
Thank you for your opinion Snowboarder.
I have first hand experience at what the jump from high school and high level travel teams are to playing against men at an elite level.
You will be rendered clueless without a full system and structure to guide you.
I do believe Pike is completely aware of it and will provide it given he will actually have some players capable of executing it

Last edited:
We don’t know what Pike thinks, and are not claiming such. But what is hard to argue with are the offensive results. Don’t think they’re good? The stats don’t say it either and it’s been a problem since day 1. It’s similar to the football program-defense can only bring you so far. It’s not asking too much for two top five recruits who are projected to play one college season to have a successful offensive season if a proper system is installed. I really think people have suffered psychological damage following Rutgers sports and are okay with mediocrity coupled with Stockholm syndrome-unable to leave the abuser.
cat mimics GIF

Reactions: Chanticleer108
What it ultimately comes down to is that people are automatically saying next year will be a revelation. Maybe it will be. But I haven’t seen it in sometime offensively. What system does Rutgers run? Please explain. Because it resembles a read and react style, with encouragement to early possession fast break options. This however did not work well and once in a set offense did not transition well to efficient scoring. In past years, high pick and roll and ball screening, with some motion-was the leading style- and I thought even though wasn’t perfect-was leaps better than this year. My gripe is that a system like flex, 1-4 or full motion style (and their many variations) with off ball screening/cuts/cycling has not been implemented and refined over the years- putting lower grade recruits in better positions for a good shot and not rely on improvisation to create a shot with a player incapable of doing such. The other key is that college teams play defense-and multiple types that require a matchup offensive system to counter. This I don’t see-well not very effective. The offensive efficiency numbers are atrocious-that is undeniable. I hope Pike figures it out-I’m sure he will. The point I’m making is that with such talent coming in-there will be practically no excuses like last season with cam and Paul leaving super late. I am by no means an authority and don’t claim to be such, but it would be nice for someone to explain what’s going on offensively instead of just writing people off as critics. Give some insight and some ideas what could be done to improve the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers36
What it ultimately comes down to is that people are automatically saying next year will be a revelation. Maybe it will be. But I haven’t seen it in sometime offensively. What system does Rutgers run? Please explain. Because it resembles a read and react style, with encouragement to early possession fast break options. This however did not work well and once in a set offense did not transition well. In past years, high pick and roll and ball screening, with some motion-was the leading style- and I thought even though wasn’t perfect-was leaps better than this year. My gripe is that a system like flex or motion has not been implemented and refined over the years- putting lower grade recruits in better positions for a good shot and not rely on improvisation to create a shot with a player incapable of doing such. The other key is that college teams play defense-and multiple types that require a matchup offensive system to counter. This I don’t see-well not very effective. The offensive efficiency numbers are atrocious-that is undeniable. I hope Pike figures it out-I’m sure he will. The point I’m making is that with such talent coming in-there will be practically no excuses like last season with cam and Paul leaving super late. I am by no means an authority and don’t claim to be such, but it would be nice for someone to explain what’s going on offensively instead of just writing people off as critics. Give some insight and some ideas what could be done to improve the situation.
They were atrocious this year but they were merely mediocre in other years with the same coach. Better talent will do much better on offense even if we’re never elite.

Thank you for your opinion Snowboarder.
I have first hand experience at what the jump from high school and high level travel teams are to playing against men at an elite level.
You will be rendered clueless without a full system and structure to guide you.
I do believe Pike is completely aware of it and will provide it given he will actually have some players capable of executing it
I have some idea

Offense is no easier to teach than defense. For a team with a bunch of new players, Pikes offense is perfect.

Offense is no easier to teach than defense. For a team with a bunch of new players, Pikes offense is perfect.
Explain?
We had pretty damn good players when we had Houston completely on the ropes and ready to go down.
Did you agree with that offense we ran the last 5 minutes of that game???

What it ultimately comes down to is that people are automatically saying next year will be a revelation. Maybe it will be. But I haven’t seen it in sometime offensively. What system does Rutgers run? Please explain. Because it resembles a read and react style, with encouragement to early possession fast break options. This however did not work well and once in a set offense did not transition well to efficient scoring. In past years, high pick and roll and ball screening, with some motion-was the leading style- and I thought even though wasn’t perfect-was leaps better than this year. My gripe is that a system like flex, 1-4 or full motion style (and their many variations) with off ball screening/cuts/cycling has not been implemented and refined over the years- putting lower grade recruits in better positions for a good shot and not rely on improvisation to create a shot with a player incapable of doing such. The other key is that college teams play defense-and multiple types that require a matchup offensive system to counter. This I don’t see-well not very effective. The offensive efficiency numbers are atrocious-that is undeniable. I hope Pike figures it out-I’m sure he will. The point I’m making is that with such talent coming in-there will be practically no excuses like last season with cam and Paul leaving super late. I am by no means an authority and don’t claim to be such, but it would be nice for someone to explain what’s going on offensively instead of just writing people off as critics. Give some insight and some ideas what could be done to improve the situation.
Paragraphs…ever hear of them?! 😉

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Explain?
We had pretty damn good players when we had Houston completely on the ropes and ready to go down.
Did you agree with that offense we ran the last 5 minutes of that game???
Pikes offense is high screens, pick and roll and iso. Relatively straightforward and generates good looks. UConn runs double screens and crazy motion. Takes a while for a team to be able to play it. I saw the comment on this thread we wouldn’t be able to teach Pikes defense in time with new players, so we should focus on teaching offense and get a better system. That makes zero sense to me.

Regarding Houston game, Of the years of games Pike has coached, I don’t understand the relevance of a reference to a specific five minute stretch of time. the meltdown at Houston may have been a coaching failure, but it wasn’t indicative of a general coaching offensive philosophy. More like bad gametime decisions in that game.

Last edited:
Well if he's trying these things on offense, they ain't working. That would be a whole different problem.

What also helps in having people who can shoot. We got MANY open looks this year but couldnt capitalize

In games like Whisky at home running the same offensive philosophy we executed it to perfection and capitalized with efficient shooting.

While I think we could do a lot more on offensive in terms of screen action I think it really boils down to 3 things:
1) Having Efficient shooters
2) Higher IQ - passing for the more efficient shot / not settling for the less efficient shot(I think of Simpson 2pt shots)
3) More ball movement as that is really what has stagnated offense many times and gives the visual we are standing around---too many players want to dribble out time and that forced many less efficient shots also

Reactions: Eagleton96
You can have the greatest defense in the country but it doesn’t matter if you can’t outscore the opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT