ADVERTISEMENT

Tourney team if...

winfield102

All American
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2005
Pike wakes up.

The defense is off the charts and everyone is in sync. VERY impressive. Simpson deserves credit cause he has definitely taken it to another level.

While we might have dug ourselves in too deep of a hole, there's still a sliver of hope.

The problem is we won't be able to thread the needle because the offense is ridiculous. Fernandez being hot today hid a lot of the garbage shots we took. There is so much that could be done without improving our offensive sets.

- 2nd game in a row a big man dribbling down the court. HELL NO.

- effective immediately, no passes to the post unless both feet of the big man are within 4 feet of the hoop. The results are BRUTAL when we catch it outside of that. Our points per possession today was probably in the 0.10 range when we passed it into the post.

- Pike, will you show the other guards how JWil doesn't go to the hoop in 5th gear?? He's in 3rd and can easily speed up or slow down. JWil creates stress on multiple defenders and does a very good job of making the right decision (shoot or pass). Most of the other players already have their mind made up as soon as they put the ball on the floor. AWill is good at being under control but he just can't finish or hit a foul shot. If he could finish and it foul shots like Simpson, we'd be in great shape. AWil is as good as he's gonna be. Why does Pike continue to watch Davis and Simpson fly to the hole at 100mph with almost no success???

- Gavin's minutes need to be restricted BIG TIME. Complete net negative this year. Gavin should study Hyatt. That's his ceiling. How does Hyatt get open looks but Gavin can't?

- STOP with all the freaking deep 2's. Gavin catch and shoot from 18/19 feet with 11 seconds on the play clock? Are you kidding me? I'm pissed if I'm a teammate. Chart our 2's from over 15 feet with time on the shot clock. We might as well kick the ball into the stands.

- Simpson needs offensive coaching in such a bad way. He has value on offense IF properly coached. I do see that he is a willing passer. In his current form, he offers very little value offensively. Most of his shots are "we don't need/want that from you".

- show the other players how JWill follows his shot. He got 2 buckets because of it. Everyone else poses after shooting like they are Curry or Thompson. If u miss over 70% of your 3's, you better try to get your miss. If you miss 65-70% of your 2's, you better follow your shot.

- if we must go iso from the top, must be JWil only. Simpson pulling the ball out to go iso early in the game
was crazy. There was still plenty of time to move the ball. Simpson deep 2 = pass to the post. Simpson lost that spot to go iso and will be the 4th option for that next year.

Pike wakes up.

The defense is off the charts and everyone is in sync. VERY impressive. Simpson deserves credit cause he has definitely taken it to another level.

While we might have dug ourselves in too deep of a hole, there's still a sliver of hope.

The problem is we won't be able to thread the needle because the offense is ridiculous. Fernandez being hot today hid a lot of the garbage shots we took. There is so much that could be done without improving our offensive sets.

- effective immediately, no passes to the post unless both feet of the big man are within 4 feet of the hoop. The results are BRUTAL when we catch it outside of that. Our points per possession today was probably in the 0.10 range when we passed it into the post.

- Pike, will you show the other guards how JWil doesn't go to the hoop in 5th gear?? He's in 3rd and can easily speed up or slow down. JWil creates stress on multiple defenders and does a very good job of making the right decision (shoot or pass). Most of the other players already have their mind made up as soon as they put the ball on the floor. AWill is good at being under control but he just can't finish or hit a foul shot. If he could finish and it foul shots like Simpson, we'd be in great shape. AWil is as good as he's gonna be. Why does Pike continue to watch Davis and Simpson fly to the hole at 100mph with almost no success???

- Gavin's minutes need to be restricted BIG TIME. Complete net negative this year. Gavin should study Hyatt. That's his ceiling. How does Hyatt get open looks but Gavin can't?

- STOP with all the freaking deep 2's. Gavin catch and shoot from 18/19 feet with 11 seconds on the play clock? Are you kidding me? I'm pissed if I'm a teammate. Chart our 2's from over 15 feet with time on the shot clock. We might as well kick the ball into the stands.

- Simpson needs offensive coaching in such a bad way. He has value on offense IF properly coached. I do see that he is a willing passer. In his current form, he offers very little value offensively. Most of his shots are "we don't need/want that from you".

- show the other players how JWill follows his shot. He got 2 buckets because of it. Everyone else poses after shooting like they are Curry or Thompson. If u miss over 70% of your 3's, you better try to get your miss. If you miss 65-70% of your 2's, you better follow your shot.

- if we must go iso from the top, must be JWil only. Simpson pulling the ball out to go iso early in the game
was crazy. There was still plenty of time to move the ball. Simpson deep 2 = pass to the post. Simpson lost that spot to go iso and will be the 4th option for that next year.
Agree that Griffiths isn’t ready. When AWill comes back he’ll get some minutes as his rebounds per minute have been very good for a guard.

Reactions: toby83 and Wagram97
If Pike wakes up? He's gotten his first two technicals with Rutgers over the past few games. He has outcoached the last 3 coaches. His substitution patterns are getting good. The team is playing harder than I've seen all year.

What an odd post!

Pike needs to wake up? lol.

S Reactions GIF

I'm not ready to give up on the season. We shot twice our average from 3 today. It was an anomaly game. Amazing performance by Fernandez.

Despite consistently struggling to finish at the rim and hit from 3, JWill has breathed life into the season. If we continue to do what we're doing on offense, the post season isn't going to happen.

Without improving their actual ability to make shots, some better coaching could improve our 350+ ranking for effective shooting %.

The team treats each defensive possession like their season depends on it. Credit to Pike. Unfortunately they treat too many offensive possessions like they are playing pickup at the Y.

• Haha
Reactions: cshelley
Pike wakes up.

If Noah missed every single shot he took, we still would have beaten the #11 team in the country by 5.

Pike wakes up.

scalia GIF

Pike wakes up.

Go away … winning against Wisconsin by 22 and the game was really never in question . You have to be a real dipstick.

Pike wakes up.

I can't believe there are still people that think the beginning of this season was on Pike. That blows my mind.
If he gets the credit for the turnaround, the beginning is on him. He is the HC. Just need to keep winning.

If he had JW and B1G O we would not have had issues. JW just makes all the others so much better.Could have had 5-6 more wins right now.

Reactions: Scangg
The announcers and halftime crew consistently call out our self inflicted problems on offense. I guess they don't know what they are talking about. They LOVE our defense. They laugh at our offense.

That's not his shot/game.
They settled there.
There was still plenty of time on the shot clock.
That was rushed.
He wasn't in a good position to take that shot.
He's gotta keep his head up.
He made the decision that he was gonna shot.
You have to understand the situation.
You have to be under control.
You have to get a better look with that.
Opponent is happy with that shot.
Your making things easy for the opponent.

Reactions: Shelby65
If he gets the credit for the turnaround, the beginning is on him. He is the HC. Just need to keep winning.
Except when 2 pieces of the team start playing midseason- everything turns around. You can blame Pike all you want but this is a talent driven issue that was caused by the late transfer of our 2 best players. It's crystal clear.

Bitching is fine but being a fool on a day like today (which is going to be key to a great turnaround) no reason for that.Many more positives rather than our normal negatives.

Reactions: Scangg
Except when 2 pieces of the team start playing midseason- everything turns around. You can blame Pike all you want but this is a talent driven issue that was caused by the late transfer of our 2 best players. It's crystal clear.
Eddie Jordan had half his team on the IR his last year. No one cared. Win enough games to get to post season and no one will remember the start of the season.

If the season started on JWill's 1st game, we are a tourney team despite being inefficient on offense.

Since the season didn't start today, we still have a chance ONLY if we become more efficient on offense. JWill has created excitement but there is basically no margin for error at this point.

Reactions: jtung230
Eddie Jordan had half his team on the IR his last year. No one cared. Win enough games to get to post season and no one will remember the start of the season.
Wait, you're pulling out the Eddie Jordan card? That's not where I thought this conversation was going.

To be clear, I think he is doing well. Just not buying the HC gets a pass because players are hurt.

Possibly the worst timed post ever
I am OK. I hate the Pike sucks and team sucks after we lose shooting bad. Why not bring issues up in a win.

If you want to be super positive i agree with a decent amount of this and if we fix we can be very good

1 thing missing (except today) that isn’t completely fixable is our crappy shooting.

I'm guessing that they said more (not particularly flattering) things about Wisconsin's O today than ours.

I am OK. I hate the Pike sucks and team sucks after we lose shooting bad. Why not bring issues up in a win.

If you want to be super positive i agree with a decent amount of this and if we fix we can be very good

1 thing missing (except today) that isn’t completely fixable is our crappy shooting.
A thread titled Pike needs to wake up after we stomp #11 Wisconsin by 22 for the largest win over a ranked team ever is beyond absurd. Stop

It also was our 2nd most efficient offensive game of the season and this guy's acting like we stunk up the court. It's unbelievable

When Simpson/davis go to the hole, they are very often at top speed. There is no extra gear to accelerate and they are going so fast that they can't slow down. Neither can finish at the basket. The results are ugly. AWill gets in great position and then misses. What we see from him is as good as it's gonna get.

JWill is consistently changing speeds and is under control a very high percentage of the time as he works towards the basket. He's able to change direction and shoot or pass (depending on which is the better option). How many did cliff get cause of JWill drive and dishes?

Our shooting is what it is. Our missed bunnies aren't going away. We have to take advantage of the low hanging fruit. Probably wasted 8 possessions today with passes into the post. That's not how cliff gets his points.

Our efficiency is bad cause we can't make shots and we take too many unforced bad shots.

When Simpson/davis go to the hole, they are very often at top speed. There is no extra gear to accelerate and they are going so fast that they can't slow down. Neither can finish at the basket. The results are ugly. AWill gets in great position and then misses. What we see from him is as good as it's gonna get.

JWill is consistently changing speeds and is under control a very high percentage of the time as he works towards the basket. He's able to change direction and shoot or pass (depending on which is the better option). How many did cliff get cause of JWill drive and dishes?

Our shooting is what it is. Our missed bunnies aren't going away. We have to take advantage of the low hanging fruit. Probably wasted 8 possessions today with passes into the post. That's not how cliff gets his points.

Our efficiency is bad cause we can't make shots and we take too many unforced bad shots.
Our efficiency today was very good. It would rank about 25th in the country in terms of season numbers so far

If we play this efficient the rest of the season we won't lose another game

Even the eye test was exponentially better offensively. More ball and player movement. More unself play. Less standing and watching someone go one on one

No point in posting after PSU. Without JWill, the season was over. Period.

JWill has shown in 3 games that we are a tourney team. Today pulled me back into believing that it can be done. These areas for improvement are now actually important and mean something since we have no wiggle room.

Anyone think we make it if our efficiency doesn't improve? Anyone think we'll continue to shoot from 3 the way we did today? I want us to make it.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT