ADVERTISEMENT

Good Simpson Beats Wisky

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
That’s assuming we execute all the givens….
Play excellent defense.
Rebound.
Floor leadership from JWill.
A slightly shortened bench from Pike.
Get the home whistle so no one has 3 first half fouls.
I give Simpson credit, he’s got enormous balls and courage, bad Simpson still shoots like crazy and drives to the basket even when he can’t put the ball in the ocean.

BUT…. Good Simpson wins games.
We win this game if Simpson is just good, if he’s great we win easy.

Very simplified, JWill and good Simpson turn Cliff and Mag into double digit scorers.

So.. Good Simpson we win.
Bad Simpson we lose.

If Simpson reads this thread he could care less, he’s fearless either way.

I keep struggling with whether I'd rather have JMike or Simpson getting more minutes NEXT season. Right now, I'm in the JMike camp but I change like the weather.

I think your analysis applies, regardless of the opponent. But I do like that Wisconsin is on a 3 game-losing streak. Hopefully, we're catching them at the right time.

3 game losing streak, 3 games in 7 days, plus having to travel are pluses for us. The trick for Derek is to not give him easy layups, but make them difficult. His ESPN basket was pretty amazing. He floated through the air like he had wings. And I am sure he learned a lesson from the T whether the call was good or bad.

I keep struggling with whether I'd rather have JMike or Simpson getting more minutes NEXT season. Right now, I'm in the JMike camp but I change like the weather.

I think your analysis applies, regardless of the opponent. But I do like that Wisconsin is on a 3 game-losing streak. Hopefully, we're catching them at the right time.
I go back and forth too. Just when I think he is turning a corner we get 3 for 11 or something like that. But he does put the effort in to defend and rebound and hits his FTs. If he could just bump up his shooting percentage, even just a little.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Can we find out the officiating crew to give the message board participants, just in case we lose, a jump on their litany of reasons how we got hosed?

Can we find out the officiating crew to give the message board participants a jump on their litany of reasons how we got hosed?
I got hammered for complaining about the complaining, but it should be noted that there were 3 or 4 different threads on the same topic. No more officiating stuff from me, well maybe...need to keep my eye on the bald and gray-haired guys. Bald guy was actually decent to us vs. Purdue. 😄

I really don't think this is a Simpson or JMike type of game, but can't argue against it, since he's likely to play 24 to 30 minutes.

I see this as the game where the wings (Hyatt, Mag and even Gavin), will need to hit shots and make Wahl, Klesmit and Crowl work to move and play defense. Hyatt, Mag and Gavin need to also rebound.

Terrance Williams and other forwards from Michigan got good looks against Wisconsin. Gavin, Mag and Hyatt.....someone is due for a big shooting game. If 2 of these 3 hits shots, RU is in great shape.

JMike, Simpson, JWill will need to wall-up and try and slow down AJ Storr.....as Storr goes, so does Wisconsin.

Pleaseee get hot for a stretch of games Derek and start now 🙏 🙏

Only 3 games over 40% on the entire season. That's one every 7 games.

With JWill now back and a reliable scorer and distributor who improves an already elite defense... seeing more good Simpson at least every few games would be so huge for wins. Wisconsin and Northwestern at home are winnable games if we can get more efficient scoring and a strong finish to the season for Derek exponentially increase those odds. When he's hot, he looks sooo good. It's just way wayyyyy too infrequent. Find a way to put together a multi game stretch of good shooting and the win streak will continue

Simpson was improving his vision, passing, and decision making as of late but seemed to back slide in the first half at MD. Pike benched him early second half, and he played much more under control and less selfishly after that. Pike message sent and received hopefully. Simpson took 0 jumpers in the second half and was 2-2 after a dreadful 0-7 in the first. If you're not hitting your jumper move the ball, be smart, pick your spots and attack the rim. Be a positive on the court with your defense, rebounding, energy, and effort

I really don't think this is a Simpson or JMike type of game, but can't argue against it, since he's likely to play 24 to 30 minutes.

I see this as the game where the wings (Hyatt, Mag and even Gavin), will need to hit shots and make Wahl, Klesmit and Crowl work to move and play defense. Hyatt, Mag and Gavin need to also rebound.

Terrance Williams and other forwards from Michigan got good looks against Wisconsin. Gavin, Mag and Hyatt.....someone is due for a big shooting game. If 2 of these 3 hits shots, RU is in great shape.

JMike, Simpson, JWill will need to wall-up and try and slow down AJ Storr.....as Storr goes, so does Wisconsin.
We do need more wing scoring. Time for Hyatt and or Gavin to find their stroke and knock down a few 3's at home

JMike and Simpson on Storr is a crazy mismatch that we are unlikely to see. Storr is 6'7 athletic and strong. Too much size for them. I doubt we see that matchup. They will be on chucky and klesmit. Jwill maybe some Mag Hyatt

We do need more wing scoring. Time for Hyatt and or Gavin to find their stroke and knock down a few 3's at home

JMike and Simpson on Storr is a crazy mismatch that we are unlikely to see. Storr is 6'7 athletic and strong. Too much size for them. I doubt we see that matchup. They will be on chucky and klesmit. Jwill maybe some Mag Hyatt
I agree. Mag, JW, AW, or Hyatt matchup better in terms of size.

Last edited:
Basketball officiating has an impact on the sport like no other due to the foul limit. Throw in calls that can be questionable or sketchy at best, it heightens the sensitivity to the topic all the more. Why folks can’t just accept that (especially with all the crap we’ve dealt with over the years like the SJU tourney farce and the OSU player out of bounds) I dunno.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Love the backhanded comments about Simpson from the usual suspect. At least he's laying off Hyatt....for now.

How is your boy crush on Nebraska doing? He had a whole 3 rebounds last night. But no assists and no defense as always.

Next season lol? Focus.

I like them both too. For me it's game to game and I think the staff does a good job figuring all of that out. Personally I like when J Mike hounds the ball and JW and Simpson use their athleticism to jump the passing lanes. We've scored a lot of buckets the last two games in transition with that recipe. We are a faster team than Wisky. Let's go.

Play excellent defense.
Rebound.
I give Simpson credit, he’s got enormous balls and courage, bad Simpson still shoots like crazy and drives to the basket even when he can’t put the ball in the ocean.

Very simplified, JWill and good Simpson turn Cliff and Mag into double digit scorers.

Bad Simpson we lose.

Really not about good Simpson. It is about smart Simpson , even if his shots are not falling. Penetrate with head up and get 2-3 lobs or PNR to Cliff. Under control on the break again with head up to find trailing shooters . If he decides to go all the way , keep dribble alive and use the backboard giving Cliff or Mag a chance for offensive rebound if Crowl tries to come over for the block.

This is not Michigan or Maryland so even with good Simpson it will not be easy. Despite their 3 game losing streak they have 3 seniors in Chucky , Wahl and Crowl who have won at the RAC and explosive Storr and Klesmit who can both light it up from 3. Thru also play good defense.

It will be a dogfight but the critical stat is turnovers. We limit to 2/3 a half we have an excellent chance. We did that in the second halves of Maryland and Michigan and what do you know we shot 50% and our offensive efficiency was 1.13 pp and 1.22 pp against Maryland and Michigan ( which is winning basketball ) compared to .682 and .882 in the first halves where we had 12 and 10 turnovers. No sloppiness or mindless unforced turnovers we give ourselves a good chance to win.

I don’t see Derek as a must for this team to win. A small sample size but I feel comfortable JWill will give us 10+. Assuming Cliff and Mag give us a solid effort we need one other guy to give us a plus. It could be Derek, JMike, Hyatt, or even Gavin.

Reactions: Scangg
I don’t see Derek as a must for this team to win. A small sample size but I feel comfortable JWill will give us 10+. Assuming Cliff and Mag give us a solid effort we need one other guy to give us a plus. It could be Derek, JMike, Hyatt, or even Gavin.
100% assuming the Defense does it's thing.

Reactions: bitnez
Sure, but if we don't get good Derek, please give us low volume bad Derek and not 3-13 type game

guard defensive pressure could dictate where this game ends up, especially if it is close. I love the thought of constantly being able to put out fresh guards (includes Noah and hopefully Austin) to harass Wisconsin.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Play excellent defense.
Rebound.

Bad Simpson we lose.

I think a good Simpson and we have 15 wins.

Reactions: zappaa and Scangg
Sure, but if we don't get good Derek, please give us low volume bad Derek and not 3-13 type game
If the staff is going to play Gavin 22 minutes some of those shots HAVE to be reallocated to Gavin. We didn't recruit gavin to have him chilling in the corner while a 30% shooter checks up shots.

If the staff is going to play Gavin 22 minutes some of those shots HAVE to be reallocated to Gavin. We didn't recruit gavin to have him chilling in the corner while a 30% shooter checks up shots.
You only move shots to Gavin once he shows he can make some. Simpson needs to take less 2's. As a starter, he's shooting better from 3 than from 2, he shoots too much inside the line. It's inefficient.

You only move shots to Gavin once he shows he can make some. Simpson needs to take less 2's. As a starter, he's shooting better from 3 than from 2, he shoots too much inside the line. It's inefficient.
If we can't expect Gavin to shoot it at > effective FG% of Simpson he should not see a minute of action.

It's time for Gavin to turn the corner. His last home game was a good one. He has started to look more comfortable out there and coming back home against a team that's terrible at 3% defense should hopefully be the recipe for a breakout

If we can't expect Gavin to shoot it at > effective FG% of Simpson he should not see a minute of action.
Their effective FG%'s are under 40%. At least Simpson gives you something else when he's out there.

Last Friday I mentioned a stat that was
Pts Scored + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks - Missed Fg's - Missed FT's - TO's

I have no idea how much this stat means, but as of last Friday (it hasn't gotten better since) and these were the team scores at the time. Note Gavin - he had been on the court over 125 minutes more than Palmquest at the time.

Clifford Omoruyi 328
Aundre Hyatt 241
Derek Simpson 171
Noah Fernandes 122
Jamichael Davis 115
Antwone Woolfolk 100
Mawot Mag 91
Austin Williams 84
Oskar Palmquist 66
Gavin Griffiths 64
Aiden Terry 2
Zach Hayn 0
Jacob Morales 0
Antonio Chol -2

Play excellent defense.
Rebound.

Bad Simpson we lose.

Agreed. It is just that there are so FEW games where Derek shoots better than 30%. He needs to have a game where he takes at least 10-12 shots and makes half of them, in addition to getting to the line and having a good floor game. He has yet to string 2 games like that together. He was great at Michigan and then shot just 2-9 at MD. If he can do that v. Wisky and NWU we can win.

It's time for Gavin to turn the corner. His last home game was a good one. He has started to look more comfortable out there and coming back home against a team that's terrible at 3% defense should hopefully be the recipe for a breakout

Am I allowed to say that his misses are getting closer to going in? I realize they are still misses but he is getting closer. Some in n outs.

Am I allowed to say that his misses are getting closer to going in? I realize they are still misses but he is getting closer. Some in n outs.
Yeah 2 of his 4 misses against Maryland were halfway down before a groundhog punched them out.

But 0-4 is 0-4. He needs to start hitting shots. We NEED someone to hit threes, as our 3-pt percentage over the past several games has been abysmal.

Yeah 2 of his 4 misses against Maryland were halfway down before a groundhog punched them out.

But 0-4 is 0-4. He needs to start hitting shots. We NEED someone to hit threes, as our 3-pt percentage over the past several games has been abysmal.
I asked chatgpt for an adjective to describe our shooting. It still hasnt given me an answer

Their effective FG%'s are under 40%. At least Simpson gives you something else when he's out there.

Last Friday I mentioned a stat that was
Pts Scored + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks - Missed Fg's - Missed FT's - TO's

I have no idea how much this stat means, but as of last Friday (it hasn't gotten better since) and these were the team scores at the time. Note Gavin - he had been on the court over 125 minutes more than Palmquest at the time.

Clifford Omoruyi 328
Aundre Hyatt 241
Derek Simpson 171
Noah Fernandes 122
Jamichael Davis 115
Antwone Woolfolk 100
Mawot Mag 91
Austin Williams 84
Oskar Palmquist 66
Gavin Griffiths 64
Aiden Terry 2
Zach Hayn 0
Jacob Morales 0
Antonio Chol -2
The problem with just looking at stats is that they have no feel for what is happening lately. Gavin was doing next to nothing on the floor besides missing shots leading up to the Purdue game. I urge you to go watch that Purdue game again. Gavin was totally engaged and it was not because he shot well(3-11) , he was driving , crashing the boards , and most impressively playing team defense and checking Edey when he beat Cliff down the floor. That is not showing up on the stat sheet but he appears more engaged since Purdue although have not seen the same level of intensity since the Purdue game. He seems to be figuring things out , although slowly , much more engaged defensively , and I really believe he is ready for a 7-8 shooting night hitting 4 threes. Which we desperately need. We won 2 games hitting only 2 and 3 threes in a game. That will not happen against Wisconsin or any good team. We need him and Hyatt to find their stroke. Playing inside out and having Cliff instructed to kick out for either Gavin or Aundre at the 3 point line would be a great way to get that going.

Reactions: TRU2RU and Scangg
The problem with just looking at stats is that they have no feel for what is happening lately. Gavin was doing next to nothing on the floor besides missing shots leading up to the Purdue game. I urge you to go watch that Purdue game again. Gavin was totally engaged and it was not because he shot well(3-11) , he was driving , crashing the boards , and most impressively playing team defense and checking Edey when he beat Cliff down the floor. That is not showing up on the stat sheet but he appears more engaged since Purdue although have not seen the same level of intensity since the Purdue game. He seems to be figuring things out , although slowly , much more engaged defensively , and I really believe he is ready for a 7-8 shooting night hitting 4 threes. Which we desperately need. We won 2 games hitting only 2 and 3 threes in a game. That will not happen against Wisconsin or any good team. We need him and Hyatt to find their stroke. Playing inside out and having Cliff instructed to kick out for either Gavin or Aundre at the 3 point line would be a great way to get that going.
I agree that he has shown improvement lately. You can see it in little things. He's still not good defensively, but he's not lost like he was. That doesn't mean it's translated to helping the team much, yet. He followed up Purdue by shooting well against PSU. Then invisible for a couple games. He probably will have a game where he gets hot. He's an underclassmen, hot and cold should be expected, just like it should be for Simpson.

Reactions: goru7
I went into more depth on this in another thread but yes. It's like when a hitter in a slump starts making solid contact but doesn't get hits. You can see the breakout coming. It's Saturday. It's happening

Play excellent defense.
Rebound.

Bad Simpson we lose.

Analyzing only one guy usually would seem too simplistic, but in this case with Simpson it’s true. He is so erratic and inconsistent that it does make a huge difference when RU gets a “Good Simpson” game. When he’s good, he’s good, but man he really can go the other way some games. It does make a huge difference when he plays good. I agree that if he plays well, and the others play well to go with typical good defense, this game is very winnable. Wisconsin is not a team to fear, especially at the RAC.

Play excellent defense.
Rebound.
I didn't see their game against Michigan but I did against Purdue and Wisconsin substituted liberally. Between tthe 2 teams it almost looked like those 80's Georgetown teams under JT at times. Hyatt, Fernandes, Griffiths and one of Ogbole or Woolfolk will have to provide quality minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT