ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Michigan

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. First time winning at Crisler. Don’t care that Michigan stinks this year, it’s still satisfying to win there.

2. What a response after going down 47-32 early in the second half. Ratcheted up the defense and actually hit some shots. We finished on a 37-12 run from the 17:02 mark.

3. We caused 19 or 20 turnovers. Good job by Pike switching up defenses on occasion, going to a 1-3-1 zone a handful of times after timeouts, which caused a few turnovers.

4. Simpson was cash money today, with 19 points (7-13 including 2-3 threes), 6 assists, and 5 rebounds. Best game since the OSU game. Now if he could only do this more than once every ten games. Our offense works so much better when he’s not shooting 30%. G-RUnit can take a victory lap.

5. JWill was exactly as advertised, a good defender, solid floor game, timely buckets, including four FGs in the lane that other guys miss.

6. Cliff had a terrific 2nd half, especially on the offensive glass.

7. Mag kept us in the game in the first half with 11 points and 3 steals. Finished with 15 points. Nice to see him with a bounce back game after three no-shows.

8. Ogbole is huge, but his performance was … rough. Woolf DNP while Ogbole got all of the minutes at the backup 5. I suspect, though, that this was more of a function of the fact that Michigan has really big bigs.

9. Pike with good rotations today. Only saw Noah and AWill for a few minutes, while the guard rotation was mostly JWill, Simpson, and JMike. No Oskar, and Gavin didn’t play in the final 8 or 10 minutes or so. We were rolling, and Pike stayed with the same five or six guys.

10. We shot 2-13 from 3-point range, including 1-7 in the first half. That makes us 1-22 in the last three 1st halves. It’s mind numbing.

Degaz, zeroing in on your #4, I thought this was Simpson's best game of the year and I believe it was because of Williams presence on the court. Jeremiah is smooth, oozes intelligence and I believe handles both the pg and sg positions beautifully.

Didn’t see this team being the one to break our all time losing streak at Michigan. Especially after that Penn State loss. A pleasant surprise and congrats to this team.

When Jeremiah was in the game, we didn’t play soft. Hope this continues the rest of the season.

Michigan failure to make 3 pointers in the second half was key to the win.J.Williams was a difference maker scoring points and passing to team mates for baskets.I really liked Simpson making a step back Baker jump shot.Cliff and Mag also contributed double figures.

Reactions: tm_nj and carmenst
Other than the SHU game, this team is not a 3pt shooter. Although this shot is pretty much everywhere now, if you cannot make the shot, you need to develop an even better offense inside of the arc. At least if you close to the basket, you stand a better chance of getting a rebound for a second shot.

I also disagree on #8. Cut Ogbole some slack for first game back from the ACL, on the road, huge step up in competition. He was a serviceable big man backup for those 8 minutes and I hope he gets those minutes on a regular basis. Between him and Jeremiah's size, we finally looked like a Rutgers team again.

Michigan hit a ton first half 3s from poor defense letting them have wide open shots. Hopefully more time together for the core 7 guys will improve communication and cut down on that situation. That may have been part of the 2nd half improvement today.

Great defense.

JWill definitely gets me more excited for next year.

Got a lot of close looks, good stuff. Missed many.

Could have won by 20+ if we made our layups.

Very good game by Derek. Still takes too many bad shots. Im praying he can become more efficient.

Don't see how u put Gavin on the floor cause it all starts with defense at RU.

Michigan stinks.

Reactions: runner3283
I also disagree on #8. Cut Ogbole some slack for first game back from the ACL, on the road, huge step up in competition. He was a serviceable big man backup for those 8 minutes and I hope he gets those minutes on a regular basis. Between him and Jeremiah's size, we finally looked like a Rutgers team again.

Michigan hit a ton first half 3s from poor defense letting them have wide open shots. Hopefully more time together for the core 7 guys will improve communication and cut down on that situation. That may have been part of the 2nd half improvement today.
Agree on Ogbole as I said elsewhere. Took some time to shake the rust off (and I'm sure he's still worried about the knee), but he played decently in the 2nd half. Agree with pretty much the rest of the OP.

Reactions: BillyC80
Other than the SHU game, this team is not a 3pt shooter. Although this shot is pretty much everywhere now, if you cannot make the shot, you need to develop an even better offense inside of the arc. At least if you close to the basket, you stand a better chance of getting a rebound for a second shot.
The team is not ever going to be good at shooting the three, but they are better than they’ve been recently.

Also pretty sure threes actually lead to more offensive rebounds not less.

Jeremiah is the real deal.

Glad Pike finally didn’t play and or minimized the play of dead weight: Noah / Austin Williams / Woolfolk/ Oskar and Hyatt ( minimal playing time ).

Pink slips and demotions were handed out !

Granted Michigan is awful so will be interesting to gage the above -and how we perform against Maryland on the road. .

Ogbole needs some slack. Not easy coming back from injury.
He looked pretty good shooting foul shots and was upset after missing a layup.There used to have a summer camp in California for centers.Ogbole would benefit from getting coaching on center moves around the basket.

Reactions: tm_nj and LJK80
1. First time winning at Crisler. Don’t care that Michigan stinks this year, it’s still satisfying to win there.

2. What a response after going down 47-32 early in the second half. Ratcheted up the defense and actually hit some shots. We finished on a 37-12 run from the 17:02 mark.

3. We caused 19 or 20 turnovers. Good job by Pike switching up defenses on occasion, going to a 1-3-1 zone a handful of times after timeouts, which caused a few turnovers.

4. Simpson was cash money today, with 19 points (7-13 including 2-3 threes), 6 assists, and 5 rebounds. Best game since the OSU game. Now if he could only do this more than once every ten games. Our offense works so much better when he’s not shooting 30%. G-RUnit can take a victory lap.

5. JWill was exactly as advertised, a good defender, solid floor game, timely buckets, including four FGs in the lane that other guys miss.

7. Mag kept us in the game in the first half with 11 points and 3 steals. Finished with 15 points. Nice to see him with a bounce back game after three no-shows.

8. Ogbole is huge, but his performance was … rough. Woolf DNP while Ogbole got all of the minutes at the backup 5. I suspect, though, that this was more of a function of the fact that Michigan has really big bigs.

9. Pike with good rotations today. Only saw Noah and AWill for a few minutes, while the guard rotation was mostly JWill, Simpson, and JMike. No Oskar, and Gavin didn’t play in the final 8 or 10 minutes or so. We were rolling, and Pike stayed with the same five or six guys.

10. We shot 2-13 from 3-point range, including 1-7 in the first half. That makes us 1-22 in the last three 1st halves. It’s mind numbing.
Just a reminder that we have had threads on how Simpson should transfer and other threads that using Mags is a bad idea, keep him on the bench

Good play and bad play can shift or alternate during a year

Reactions: Goku and G- RUnit
1. Getting the Crisler monkey off our back is huge going forward. Like winning on the road. Think of all the recent RU players, RHJ, Geo, Caleb, who never won at Crisler.

2. Just don’t like Michigan in general. Still ticked off over the whole Michigan situation last year. They beat us pretty good at home. Every Bracket guru said we had to beat Michigan on a neutral court in the B1G tourney to get in, we do handily and the NCAA moves the goal posts on us.
Michigan in over RU for NCAA baseball.
The Harbaugh shannigans.
The Juwan shannigans.
78-0.
Just take glee beating these guys.

3. Pike deserves all the credit in the world as RU plays so hard for him. Even when we get blown out we inevitably make a run and never give up and usually make a game out of it when we shouldn’t of.

4. Is this Pike’s Michael Jordan flu game?

5. Derek was incredible. The raw talent, defense, effort and hustle is there every single game. For that reason alone he should be THE fan favorite. Even in the PSU debacle he lead the team in assists and EIGHT rebounds which were all but ignored by most RU fans. Today was yet another game he took over. We saw it last year, PSU, Indiana, B1G Tourney. We saw him win the Stonehill Game. We saw him almost single handily win the OSU. Even games he didn’t shoot well he hit the half court runner against Indiana. He clinched the game with his free throws. He almost had a triple double against Nebraska. Today it all came together with the potential that the astute fans saw coming. It wasn’t only his shooting but 6 assists. He’s only a sophomore. Can be a crucial and experienced veteran next year. Can’t teach speed. Foul shooting is a bonus! (See what I did there?). Just a wonderful game.

6. JWilliams was a revelation. Just what the Doctor ordered. He looks like a solid player. Shame the NCAA jerked him around.

7. Game might have been won on the foul line. Mag, Cliff, Simpson and JWill were 11-12.

8. Can we get this Officiating crew every RU game? I don’t remember a game where there so few fouls calls and RU opposition wasn’t in the bonus. Small miracles.

9. As good as Simpson was in the 2nd half, Mags saved us in the first half. Welcome back.

10. Cliff has his offensive woes but still such a nice player defensively and another solid effort. I wonder if we are getting spoiled by him.

11. Rough game by Hyatt, pass attempt to Simpson almost broke my heart. He’ll be fine. Gavin got some PT.

12. Thought JMike was at his best last two minutes with rebound, steal, pass and layup when he kept eyes on rim. Gotta hit free throws.

13. Bad thing about this win is we help Juwan getting fired. Wonder if OSU coach will be gone? Woodson has another year but next year?

14. I liked the big guy and three rebounds wasn’t bad at all. Vaguely Artis Gilmore vibe?

15. Good win! Maybe JWilliams gives us a spark we sorely need. Schedule so difficult.
Build to next year. Hope Pike feels better.

16. Our defense is elite. Deal with it. Michigan also much better at home then on the road. Any one who thinks otherwise is dead wrong.

17. Great Review by Degaz-RU per usual.

Last edited:

I thought Ogbole played great and should get Wolf's minutes going forward.

Just a reminder that we have had threads on how Simpson should transfer and other threads that using Mags is a bad idea, keep him on the bench

Good play and bad play can shift or alternate during a year
Another good example is last game when we had multiple threads about Griffith turning a corner and gaining confidence. It was one game, just as this was one game.

Great defense.

JWill definitely gets me more excited for next year.

Got a lot of close looks, good stuff. Missed many.

Could have won by 20+ if we made our layups.

Very good game by Derek. Still takes too many bad shots. Im praying he can become more efficient.

Don't see how u put Gavin on the floor cause it all starts with defense at RU.

Michigan stinks.
Derek is a shooter.
Shooters don't remember the shots they miss and want the ball when the game is on the line.

Jermaine changed the dynamic for the game.
Their best defender has to play him, so others can roam freely and do damage.

JWill definitely changed the dynamic.

Derek is a shooter that takes too many low quality shots. Occasionally he gets a little hot. He's consistently inefficient. He has a lot of room to get better, which is a good thing.

I texted people when Jeremiah got the first points of the game, that he would be the key. ,Although Simpson was the star, Jeremiah was the key. besides the energy & scoring, there were a lot of little things, basic things that were missing before. The best example is his passing and timing. Besides setting up Cliff nicely, it was his extra pass for the easy score on a late game fast break, that was the true indicator..
Simpson showed his willingness to be the take charge late game scorer..
Cliff, although still getting hacked, will not be drawing double/triple teams
Even if its only NIT this year, I think they will now be fun to watch going forward..
Both will be key pieces when Ace & Dylan come in next year

Last edited:
Reactions: tm_nj and carmenst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT