ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Minnesota

Convinced sneakers are a huge problem…
Seriously. Quality control issue. JMike slipped a lot beginning of game. It appears to be more than a fluke.
What about the rest of the players and games where no one slipped?

The sneaker obsession is odd

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Add it to the list lol.

I saw a Minnesota guy slip too. I think it was the court.
Add that to the list! Classic head in the sand. If you don’t think the RU players slip more … and have all year … JWilliams and JMike today. You can even choose to ignore the announcers commenting on the RU players slipping and add it to the list. I choose not. It’s not like I was 100% correct on Simpson… oh wait.

Occam’s Razor. Back to basics. I’ll start with the sneakers. But that’s just me. Right.

Add that to the list! Classic head in the sand. If you don’t think the RU players slip more … and have all year … JWilliams and JMike today. You can even ignore the announcers commenting on the RU players slipping, I choose not.

Occum’s Razor. Back to basics. I’ll start with the sneakers. But that’s just me. Right.
You think Occam's Razor indicates that Addias, the second largest sportswear manufacturer in the world, is incapable of producing shoes that do not slip on basketball courts? Okay then.

Last edited:
Or maybe not as good as Nike? Mind blown?
Or maybe Adidas is making all their money on apparel and soccer rather than hoops.

I’m going to stick to my own eyes and too often seeing RU players slipping all over the court. You could ignore it but twice today the announcers commented on two separate RU players slipping.

A wise coach once said, “Be curious but not judgmental.” I’m curious why this is happening. Players? Floor? Maybe Adidas sneakers are a problem? Legitimate issue IMHO….

Or you can add it to your proverbial list. SMH.

Last edited:
Johnson is a better recruiter than the coach with the #2 and #3 recruits coming?
I’m concerned who will be better off in 2025-26 when Dylan and Ace are gone. Minne is putting together a nice program especially considering they were a doormat last year and lost their best player to OSU.

Reactions: billgumpper
Great post. I thought Pikiell did a horrendous job on substitutions, especially Wookfolk over Ogbole. Ogbole would have pushed around Payne, fouled out and saved us about 10 points while helping Cliff in the second half. BTW, Minnesota made Cliff a non-factor in the second half. And our shooting from outside was terrible. And JWill had a bad game which we hurt us .
Yes why did he go away from Ogbole so quick he was abusing Cliff in the offensive and

Reactions: RU MAN
Ben Johnson

2022 13-17 (4-16) #109 kenpom
2023 9-22 (2-17) #216 kenpom
2024 16-9 (7-7) #67 kenpom

Oh boy, Minnesota is slightly better than us this year, how exciting! I swear this RutgersChow guy is legit ret****d.
It's the guy who is ONLY CAPABLE of insulting others. The world would be a better place if someone just kicked the crap out of you - LOL

It's the guy who is ONLY CAPABLE of insulting others. The world would be a better place if someone just kicked the crap out of you - LOL
You think Gary Waters was more successful at Rutgers than Steve Pikiell. You think Noah Fernandes struggled in non-conference play because of the step up in competition. You think when people use the words "made the tournament" that it includes the NIT because the NIT is a tournament. Someone could shoot me in the middle of Fifth Avenue and you'd still be an idiot.

Agree with many of the what went wrong comments, including things that could have been done differently, but generally think most are overreacting. B10 road games are hard, real hard. And that facilitates mistakes And maybe substitution riskes that don’t work out trying to change momentum. It happens. It also happens to teams visiting JMA. Look at B10 road records (and Purdue vs OSU). After four wins in a row (two on road) a let down or bad preformance isn’t a surprise, one game, one loss, that is it. Even if we lose at Purdue, there is a viable path to 10 B10 wins. Stay focused.

You think Gary Waters was more successful at Rutgers than Steve Pikiell. You think Noah Fernandes struggled in non-conference play because of the step up in competition. You think when people use the words "made the tournament" that it includes the NIT because the NIT is a tournament. Someone could shoot me in the middle of Fifth Avenue and you'd still be an idiot.
So I'd be an idiot if you got shot in the middle of Fifth Avenue. That sentence makes absolutely no sense. You're obviously pretty ignorant. Please, please, go get yourself shot on Fifth Avenue. I promise to be an idiot that day.

Last edited:
10. Teetering on the edge of the bubble, now need to win 2 of the remaining three road games at Purdue, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Very tall order. This was the one we had the best chance of getting.
@Degaz-RU I've never taken the time to compliment you. Your "Rapid Reaction" post is always excellent. You do a good job of providing the key facts of the game and good analysis into a relatively short post. It's a good compliment to what we get from @bac2therac

It was a fun magic carpet ride for the last 4 games and it was more than any of us could have hoped for after getting our first "bad" loss against PSU. I think if you look at it objectively, JWill is a really good college basketball player but he's not a superstar. It wasn't realistic to think team's weren't going to eventually game plan for him.

While there's still a chance, I agree with you that the rest of the season is a very tall order to do any better than 3-3. That said, it's not crazy to think we could win the Big 10 Tournament, depending on matchups. Let's see how it all unfolds and hope that at a minimum, we get an NIT bid.

@fluoxetine you make good points and that's good for the board, but why are you adversarial and nasty much of the time? Isn't it better to treat others with respect and make your points without the vitriol?

I'm torn on whether or not to ignore you because I like the comments but not the tone. @G- RUnit this applies to you as well, but on a smaller scale.

What about the rest of the players and games where no one slipped?

The sneaker obsession is odd
You and I usually are on the same page but I think this is a legitimate concern. I'm not saying Adidas is the problem, but JWill and JMike need to look at what they're wearing and consider alternatives.

@Degaz-RU I've never taken the time to compliment you. Your "Rapid Reaction" post is always excellent. You do a good job of providing the key facts of the game and good analysis into a relatively short post. It's a good compliment to what we get from @bac2therac

It was a fun magic carpet ride for the last 4 games and it was more than any of us could have hoped for after getting our first "bad" loss against PSU. I think if you look at it objectively, JWill is a really good college basketball player but he's not a superstar. It wasn't realistic to think team's weren't going to eventually game plan for him.

While there's still a chance, I agree with you that the rest of the season is a very tall order to do any better than 3-3. That said, it's not crazy to think we could win the Big 10 Tournament, depending on matchups. Let's see how it all unfolds and hope that at a minimum, we get an NIT bid.
I especially enjoy Degaz and Bacs breakdowns as well

@fluoxetine you make good points and that's good for the board, but why are you adversarial and nasty much of the time? Isn't it better to treat others with respect and make your points without the vitriol?

I'm torn on whether or not to ignore you because I like the comments but not the tone. @G- RUnit this applies to you as well, but on a smaller scale.
Yes, you are probably right.

Reactions: LeapinLou

Appreciate the kind words, Lou. Yeah, my intent with these Rapid Reaction posts was exactly as you describe — to give quick hitter facts and analysis while we wait for bac’s recap post, which provides more in depth analysis and, more importantly, captures the pulse and emotion of the games and of this Rutgers fan base.

Last edited:
At the least Ogbole had five fouls to give. Payne was way too comfortable with Woolfolk in for Cliff.
The killer was when they did miss Payne got rebounds over our entire front court and then put back baskets. Our front court refused to even jump for rebounds except for Cliff and were MIA. We should have been up 8-10 at the half and instead only up 2 with the ball until the last terribly designed sequence caused the tie. We could have used the cushion as they made that 11-2 run coming out of halftime.

The killer was when they did miss Payne got rebounds over our entire front court and then put back baskets. Our front court refused to even jump for rebounds except for Cliff and were MIA. We should have been up 8-10 at the half and instead only up 2 with the ball until the last terribly designed sequence caused the tie. We could have used the cushion as they made that 11-2 run coming out of halftime.
we had a 29-22 lead and I felt RU was finally showing their defense mettle keeping Minny to just 1 fg over like 5 minutes. Then they started to hit some 3s and we started missing our shots. But yeah the last possession is 4 point swing there. Maybe its a play you run at the rac but on the road...Pike could have used a timeout I believe but we had wasted it calling a timeout at the same point the 4 minute timeout would have happened anyhow.

Reactions: RW90
we had a 29-22 lead and I felt RU was finally showing their defense mettle keeping Minny to just 1 fg over like 5 minutes. Then they started to hit some 3s and we started missing our shots. But yeah the last possession is 4 point swing there. Maybe its a play you run at the rac but on the road...Pike could have used a timeout I believe but we had wasted it calling a timeout at the same point the 4 minute timeout would have happened anyhow.
True but my point is Pike guessed wrong going with Wolf over Egbole. Although Egbole got beat by Payne and fouled him for the and one , that was only 1 foul and there were 4 more to give. Payne was not pushing Egbole and his 290 pounds out of the way and getting those easy offensive rebounds and put backs.
Worse yet , Wolf got stuffed at rim 2x and I think Egbole might have been contested by Payne but also coul have drawn fouls. Payne is foul prone and fouls out a lot or has 4 fouls on a game a lot. It was a missed opportunity to put pressure on Payne to continue to play defense like he had to against Cliff where he wasn’t very successful.

You and I usually are on the same page but I think this is a legitimate concern. I'm not saying Adidas is the problem, but JWill and JMike need to look at what they're wearing and consider alternatives.
That's fine... But his point is it's Addidas saying they are incapable of making a basketball shoe. Apparently only Nike has figured out non slip technology

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT