ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Northwestern

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. Wow wow wow. That was a 40 minute chop. Down 13 and come back with ferocious defense in the second half and just enough offense.

2. WE ARE ALIVE FOR THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.

3. Jeremiah WILLED us to victory with 15 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, and most of all, LEADERSHIP.

4. Everybody in the starting lineup contributed to this victory. Simpson with steals and hit some clutch shots, and then had that beautiful assist to Hyatt on that HUMONGOUS three on the wing to put us up by 3 after NW tied it late. JMike with 11 points including 4 FTs and a clutch jumper down the stretch. Cliff with 9 and 9 plus 4 blocks and several altered shots.

5. Not much from the bench tonight except Oskar with those 3 threes in the first half that kept us within striking distance. Absolutely GIGANTIC contribution from the much maligned Swede.

6. Very worried about Mag with the knee soreness. This was a huge game, and the fact that he couldn’t play suggests that this could be a lingering issue the rest of the year.

7. Almost had a heart attack watching Cliff and then JWill go down with rolled ankles. Thank god they’re okay.

8. Buie was freaking unconscious in the first half but we cooled him off with tight defense in the second half, MOSTLY BY FRESHMAN JAMICHAEL DAVIS. Kudos to JMike for a yeomans effort there.

9. Shoutout to Hyatt. Although he was only 2-8 from the field, he was active on the boards and kept two possessions alive in the second half. He also hit 4 huge FTs in the second half and that huge three to regain the 3-point lead.

10. It’s pretty incredible that Collins was able to keep Northwestern in this game while down TWO starting guards after Langborg was ejected. We almost got the “3rd string quarterback” curse with that Mullins kid, who had 8 points — his first points of the entire season — and 4 blocks. Kid was a revelation for the Cats. That goodness we contained Barnhizer and Martinelli. It was basically the Boo Buie show. That dude is an assassin.

11. We are very lucky that JMike didn’t get called for a foul on the Buie 3-point attempt at the end. He was in Buie’s shooting space and actually made contact with Buie’s body. But we deserve a favorable non-whistle, so I ain’t crying for Northwestern.

12. Let’s get a quad 1 road win at Minnesota on Sunday night. Do that and we’re squarely on the Bubble.

13. Northwestern with .9375 points per possession overall, actually a bit above our average of about .9000. But get this — Boo Buie had 27 points on 15 possessions, a ridiculous 1.800 points per possession, and the rest of the Northwestern team had 33 points on 49 possessions, for a putrid .6735 points per possession.

The team played very flat and it showed in the 1st half. I also thought there were a couple of passes that JWill would probably want to have back....1 each to Cliff rolling to the hoop that was way too low and Cliff couldn't handle and went out of bounds......the 2nd one to Ogbole was also "open", but Ogbole needs to show he can handle that type of pass...

The Ogbole leg/kick could have really, really set RU back again, fortunately they only made 1 of the 2 FTs. Ogbole actually makes an effort to post up and hold his position, but he at least rebounds and is a presence to deal with.

Simpson and his play is very scary, but he plays with so much confidence and swagger, it's almost impossible to imagine such an erratic 1st half and start to the 2nd half, but he keeps defending and making plays. Another 3-10 shooting line, doesn't tell the story....his defense kept RU afloat and the 2, very tough makes in the 2H, were huge.

I can't wait for Sunday night, because this roster and coaching staff have to be very excited about winning a game, when they played a C+ in terms of execution in 1st half. Oskar bailed out RU big time.

In terms of the B1G standings and outlook, get Mag some more rest and let him get ready for the stretch run. With Oskar able to stretch the defense and Gavin still learning, we can get by for another couple of games without major Mag minutes.

I was in total agreement until your last sentence. We’re still a couple of victories away from realistically being on the bubble. Win 3 of next 4 (or simply next 2)… then we’re strongly on that bubble.
Great game tonight!

Reactions: NiTeKnight
The team played very flat and it showed in the 1st half. I also thought there were a couple of passes that JWill would probably want to have back....1 each to Cliff rolling to the hoop that was way too low and Cliff couldn't handle and went out of bounds......the 2nd one to Ogbole was also "open", but Ogbole needs to show he can handle that type of pass...

The Ogbole leg/kick could have really, really set RU back again, fortunately they only made 1 of the 2 FTs. Ogbole actually makes an effort to post up and hold his position, but he at least rebounds and is a presence to deal with.

Simpson and his play is very scary, but he plays with so much confidence and swagger, it's almost impossible to imagine such an erratic 1st half and start to the 2nd half, but he keeps defending and making plays. Another 3-10 shooting line, doesn't tell the story....his defense kept RU afloat and the 2, very tough makes in the 2H, were huge.

I can't wait for Sunday night, because this roster and coaching staff have to be very excited about winning a game, when they played a C+ in terms of execution in 1st half. Oskar bailed out RU big time.

In terms of the B1G standings and outlook, get Mag some more rest and let him get ready for the stretch run. With Oskar able to stretch the defense and Gavin still learning, we can get by for another couple of games without major Mag minutes.
For tonight, I actually agree with you about Simpson. His 3-10 does NOT tell the story. He has become a near-elite defender and had 4 steals tonight, and the two buckets he hit in the 2nd half were just huge. He also had 4 assists, including that terrific pass to Hyatt on the wing for that big three to put us back up by 3 points after NW tied it.

However, I disagree about Mag. We need him for every game, especially a road game at Minnesota, a team that can light it up and have two really tough post players, one of whom can also shoot from deep. We were out of synch tonight because we were missing a critical piece of our starting five. Pray that Mag can play on Sunday.

13. Northwestern with .9375 points per possession overall, actually a bit above our average of about .9000. But get this — Boo Buie had 27 points on 15 possessions, a ridiculous 1.800 points per possession, and the rest of the Northwestern team had 33 points on 49 possessions, for a putrid .6735 points per possession.

He’s really good.

In previous seasons, I heard all the Buie hype and felt he was overrated. But this year, I agree he deserves to be first team all conference. Not just from his awesome first half tonight, but from what he's been doing all year.

Gutsy gutsy team effort! Mag out last second? Next man up, Oskar answered the bell. Terrible to start to the O, battle back to stay in touch at the half. Cut it to 3, Buie sparks an 8-0 run, and we come right back again. It was like a heavyweight fight with guys trading blows.

Hyatt with the CRITICAL 3 after Northwestern tied it, plus the FT makes.

Cliff and Williams shaking off turned ankles to get back out there and bring the effort/D.

Davis all over Buie in the 2nd half, zero FG after halftime!

Simpson with great D too, a couple of BIG buckets, and the beautiful dime to Hyatt.

This team is not the team that played Penn State anymore.

Hoping we have a healthy Mag on Sunday.

1. Wow wow wow. That was a 40 minute chop. Down 13 and come back with ferocious defense in the second half and just enough offense.

3. Jeremiah WILLED us to victory with 15 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, and most of all, LEADERSHIP.

4. Everybody in the starting lineup contributed to this victory. Simpson with steals and hit some clutch shots, and then had that beautiful assist to Hyatt on that HUMONGOUS three on the wing to put us up by 3 after NW tied it late. JMike with 11 points including 4 FTs and a clutch jumper down the stretch. Cliff with 9 and 9 plus 4 blocks and several altered shots.

5. Not much from the bench tonight except Oskar with those 3 threes in the first half that kept us within striking distance. Absolutely GIGANTIC contribution from the much maligned Swede.

6. Very worried about Mag with the knee soreness. This was a huge game, and the fact that he couldn’t play suggests that this could be a lingering issue the rest of the year.

7. Almost had a heart attack watching Cliff and then JWill go down with rolled ankles. Thank god they’re okay.

8. Buie was freaking unconscious in the first half but we cooled him off with tight defense in the second half, MOSTLY BY FRESHMAN JAMICHAEL DAVIS. Kudos to JMike for a yeomans effort there.

9. Shoutout to Hyatt. Although he was only 2-8 from the field, he was active on the boards and kept two possessions alive in the second half. He also hit 4 huge FTs in the second half and that huge three to regain the 3-point lead.

10. It’s pretty incredible that Collins was able to keep Northwestern in this game while down TWO starting guards after Langborg was ejected. We almost got the “3rd string quarterback” curse with that Mullins kid, who had 8 points — his first points of the entire season — and 4 blocks. Kid was a revelation for the Cats. That goodness we contained Barnhizer and Martinelli. It was basically the Boo Buie show. That dude is an assassin.

11. We are very lucky that JMike didn’t get called for a foul on the Buie 3-point attempt at the end. He was in Buie’s shooting space and actually made contact with Buie’s body. But we deserve a favorable non-whistle, so I ain’t crying for Northwestern.

12. Let’s get a quad 1 road win at Minnesota on Sunday night. Do that and we’re squarely on the Bubble.
#5 it’s Mags other knee not the surgical one

Reactions: tm_nj and Scangg
1. Awful officiating.
2. Amazed no foul call on last play. Whew!
3. JMike and Simpson were elite defensively.
4. JWill is amazing. Best going to hoop since Corey, Steve Worthy?
5. First half Boo Buie was as good as anybody, joining D’ Angelo Russell and Allan Houston on my all time opposition shooting team.
6. Regardless what happens this year back to back close wins over Maryland and NW can only help confidence next year.
7. Late arriving crowd but RAC became the RAC.
8. Oskar saved the season in the first half.
9. Anybody here who doesn’t think our defense isn’t elite? Incredible.
10. Winning without Mag is very big.
11. What is it about Rutgers that other players/teams think it’s okay to attack us in the nether regions?
12. Fernandes another quite great game rebounding.
13. Hyatt was clutch. Wish he hit that free throw.
14. Cliff almost double/double and alters so many others. Great game.
15. Schiano, Gov, Caleb and Eric LeGrande in the house.
16. Thoroughly enjoyable win. Intense!!!
17. Ordinarily I’d be a huge NW team and they would be my favorite B1G team after RU. But they were the biggest D bags who did all they could to oppose RU in the B1G. Would love to know why?

Last edited:

Being a very good defender does not justify countless crappy decisions re: falling down several times a game pushing the break and poor shooting. 3 for 10 seems to be his usual stat line.

He doesn’t recognize his limitations.

Being a very good defender does not justify countless crappy decisions re: falling down several times a game pushing the break and poor shooting. 3 for 10 seems to be his usual stat line.

He doesn’t recognize his limitations.
His speed gets him open. Plays so hard. Effort always there. Hustle always there. D always there. Great foul shooter. Only a sophomore!

Everything begins and ends with JWill on offense. He is very consistent at making the right decision. Could have had 10 assists instead of 5.

Great defense by the team. Simpson and Davis are relentless out there and impacting the game that way.

Tonight was OP's night to hit some 3's. Thank God. We were reeling and could have been down by almost 20 without him.

Back to our normal of missing layups and foul shots. cliff misses 2 dunks and EO misses a dunk that didn't count due to the whistle.

Austin does everything right except put the ball in the basket. Puts himself in great position but no points.

Gavin is lucky to be getting minutes. I understand him getting 1st half minutes. Not so much for the 2nd half minutes.

The long 2's in the 2nd half were ridiculous. Davis and Hyatt take back to back for no reason when we were down 1. Simpson with less than 2 minutes forgot his role and went iso for a 2 long (miss). He then put JWill in a bad spot and JWill had to fling a shot at the basket that somehow went in. That doesn't go in and we in trouble.

We're still alive.

His speed gets him open. Plays so hard. Effort always there. Hustle always there. D always there. Great foul shooter. Only a sophomore!
All true, but none of that excuses poor judgment. He’s just not a good ballhandler or shooter and it’s doubtful he ever will be either of those.

He plays good D. That’s what we need him for. 4-5 shots a game should be his max.

Simpson and Davis were huge factors in winning. Both are improving game by game on D.

Simpson is doing stuff away from the ball that reminds me of Caleb and Paul. Easy to miss stuff that gunks up what other teams are trying to do. You gotta focus away from the ball to see it. Doesn't show up in the stats, but makes everybody else's job way easier.

I have no idea what our chances are at making the NCAAs. Low, I'd guess. But I would think we'd need Mag to be reasonably healthy to have any chance at all. We're a very different team when he's on the court and healthy.

Ogbole has to be smarter. Was a small gift that the refs didn't boot him w/a flagrant 2. Doesn't matter what Buie did just before, the refs always catch the retaliation. I have no doubt Pike or an assistant will make that clear to him.

All true, but none of that excuses poor judgment. He’s just not a good ballhandler or shooter and it’s doubtful he ever will be either of those.

He plays good D. That’s what we need him for. 4-5 shots a game should be his max.
4 assists and the pass of the game to Hyatt.
He brings up the ball on the press. His ball handling skill is fine. Still only a sophomore.

The team is deep enough that on any given night they should find their 3pt sniper. Last game it was fernandes. Tonight it was Oskar. I’m happy for him. I still think there is going to be a game coming up where it will be Gavin. He misses are so close to going in. One of these nights he’s gonna be on fire

Wow, didn't know it was that stark of a difference, but in the 2nd half I said to my friends, why wouldn't NW just have Buie throwing up shots on every possession? He was just that good, although we certainly clamped down on him much better in the 2nd half, especially JMike, but Cliff was huge in his step outs when the picks were being set to free up Buie. Cliff does that better than anyone I've ever seen as he's so quick for a big man. His ability to not just block but alter shots is amazing.

Gavin is lucky to be getting minutes. I understand him getting 1st half minutes. Not so much for the 2nd half minutes.
Who else would you have put in instead? The coaching staff cannot just leave all the starters in the game or else we'd fade down the stretch.

GG is improving on D which is very important. And if the coaches can unlock GG's game for him, I think there's a huge upside for the team. The potential is obvious. I think giving him time is part of how to unlock his game, even when he's struggling. Maybe especially when he's struggling.

The coaches have a good reason for it or they wouldn't do it.

This team is definitely becoming more fun to watch as the season progresses. Part of it is having JWill and Ogbole. But part of it is improved decision-making and improved play away from the ball (both on O and D). Which is probably due to a lot of very good hard work by the coaches.

Hope it's a continuing trend.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg

I counted 4 fouls that shouldve been called on Buie, he shouldve been in foul trouble the whole 2nd half.

Playing devil's advocate, I mean why did it take until halftime to come to that game plan of don't let Buie score? I could have told you that four months ago.
I'm sure there was a focus on Buie before the game. Anybody playing Northwestern would be nuts to not have a plan to try to slow Buie up.

And Northwestern is going to enter games with plans to help Buie be at his best against whomever the opponent is.

Tonight, the RU plan to try to contain Buie to some degree, whatever that plan was, wasn't working out for whatever reason(s). That's a lot harder to fix while the game is going on than during the halftime break, right?

Playing devil's advocate, I mean why did it take until halftime to come to that game plan of don't let Buie score? I could have told you that four months ago.
Because they likely did something to get him open and Pike adjusted.

League is so intense.
Do you think anybody wants to play RU, Minny, Maryland or PSU?
Rather see Michigan, Indiana or OSU!

Reactions: RC71 and BillyC80

Agree with all here; Buie is soooo talented, but man he uses his elbow almost every time he drives to the basket. Cliff going down would have lost us the game, so just happy we b pulled this out shooting poorly, but man can we play D, just crazy

Buie is very difficult to guard and scheme against because he gets away with so much. He shoves defenders away and he travels taking shots in the key. I can’t remember anyone getting a more favorable whistle than him.

Top players get a strong tailwind, none more than him. Good player, yes. Conference reffing boost, yes. Even more than Garza. Buie is a good shooter but i don’t think he’s an NBA player. Not athletic enough at his size, and wouldnt get the ref help like the B1G gives him.

No way. It'll be almost impossible to win at Minnesota with Mag chillin' on the bench. Minnesota is a very good team.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We have to be realistic about Mag and it's not a matter of whether the team can win with or without him, they already proved the could rally and win without him last night.

The team needs some contributing factor that Mag brings to the table, but I am suggesting 14 to 16 minutes a game the rest of the year, vs expecting 25 to 26 minutes as a starter. Some Mag is better than asking him to play 25 to 26 minutes where his knee or knees may not be ready to continue at that pace.

We also would not have any chance vs Minnesota if Cliff didn't play, if JWill didn't play or even JMike doesn't play.....I have to actually include Simpson and Ogbole to that equation.

5 blocks from Cliff and obviously critical rebounds.

3 blocks from JWill to go along with a steal, 5 rebounds, 15 PTS and 5 assists.

4 steals, 8 PTS from Simpson and extremely good defense, which is taxing on the body and legs.....

And not just good but for a freshman, elite level defense from JMike, who slowed down a very good guard in Buie.

Minnesota backcourt is extremely effective, especially Christie, who has been B1G frosh of the week multiple times already this year. We have to impact their guards to win Sunday night. Garcia needs his guards to find him with open opportunities, the defense can't allow their guards to get 15 to 18 pts each.

If that means we get something from Mag in the remaining 6 to 7 games, then we may have to digest a bit less of him on the floor. If he couldn't go tonight, I would not logically think he's going to play 25 to 26 minutes 3 days later. Maybe 12 to 14 minutes to see how he looks or can play is more important.

This roster with JWill controlling the tempo for 25 to 28 minutes and Ogbole helping Cliff for his rest is important. I can't see any path beating NW or anyone left on the schedule, without some elite defense from Simpson and Davis mixed with JWill.

Mag could not go tonight and while that threw everything out of whack, so did the countless mistakes, losing track of Buie in the 1st half. We needed to adjust and we did. If JMike doesn't play like a junior or upperclassmen, we are discussing a very different game outcome today.

The entire roster pulled together and overcame Mag not playing for 1 game. Do I think that can happen for the remainder of the year?? NO, But I'm willing to take 14 to 16 minutes of Mag in each game, vs thinking he's going to play or be effective for 25 to 26 minutes the rest of the year. The team and I think the staff needed to see others step up in his absence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT