ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Maryland

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. Jeremiah Williams is the best player on the team, hands down. Defense, rebounding, clutch shot making, leadership. 14 humongous points. And played most of the 2nd half with 4 fouls.

2. Mag with two cluuuuuuutttttcccchhhh free throws to push the lead back up to 3 points at the end. If he misses the front end, we’re sunk. And he led the team with 15 points. Hopefully that 3 game swoon is in the rear view mirror.

3. We played our best defense for an entire game of the year. We locked down Young and Scott, and our rotations were elite. We didn’t let Young get downhill on dribble drives because the wing defender was sagging on the drive. Beautiful defense.

4. This could’ve been a lot easier, but we go up by 9 after a nice runner by Simpson, but then he curses at the crowd and gets teed up. Sucked the air out of our run and changed the momentum, leading Maryland to go on an 8-0 run. Really stupid by Derek there.

5. Shout out to JMike for REALLY good defense on Young, and that huge three that put us up by 5 in the second half. Also had a beautiful assist on a break.

6. This was a classic Steve Pikiell “pounding nails” type of win. Defense and just enough offense.

7. How about two wins in a row on the road? And the second one at XFinity Center, where Maryland has a huge home court advantage the past two years.

8. Have I mentioned that Jeremiah Williams is our best player? What a godsend this kid is.

Last edited:
1. Jeremiah Williams is the best player on the team, hands down. Defense, rebounding, clutch shot making, leadership. 14 humongous points. And played most if the 2nd half with 4 fouls.

2. Mag with two cluuuuuuutttttcccchhhh free throws to push the lead back up to 3 points at the end. If he misses the front end, we’re sunk. And he led the team with 15 points. Hopefully that 3 game swoon is in the rear view mirror.

3. We played our best defense for an entire game of the year. We locked down Young and Scott, and our rotations were elite. We didn’t let Young get downhill on dribble drives because the wing defender was sagging on the drive. Beautiful defense.

4. This could’ve been a lot easier, but we go up by 9 after a nice runner by Simpson, but then he curses at the crowd and gets teed up. Sucked the air out of our run and changed the momentum, leading Maryland to go on an 8-0 run. Really stupid by Derek there.

5. Shout out to JMike for REALLY good defense on Young, and that huge three that put us up by 5 in the second half. Also had a beautiful assist on a break.

6. This was a classic Steve Pikiell “pounding nails” type of win. Defense and just enough offense.

7. How about two wins in a row on the road? And the second one at XFinity Center, where Maryland has a huge home court advantage the past two years.

8. Have I mentioned that Jeremiah Williams is our best player? What a godsend this kid is.
Williams is the go to scorer and leader we didnt have all season. I said it after the Michigan game, he is the best player on the team. I dont understand why Woolfolk played so many minutes when Ebole is clearly the better player.

1. Jeremiah Williams is the best player on the team, hands down. Defense, rebounding, clutch shot making, leadership. 14 humongous points. And played most if the 2nd half with 4 fouls.

All correct except for your Derek point. This happens at every college basketball arena around the country. Tomonaga should’ve been T’d up in the first of our game, RHJ should have been T’d up against Indiana but they weren’t… you let the kids play mostly when they have been heckled the whole game.

Great review. Will say that J Will really opens up the offense with proper spacing and you can actually see that we do run an offense MOST OF THE TIME. Very different when you have players that can create the spacing and create for others.
I'm saying it again but if Gavin ever starts to hit some shots this whole thing opens up for us. I would even settle for Hyatt hitting a few also and find them intertwined at that spot to add some additional offense for us as we need others besides Mag(scoring leader today), JWill, Simpson, and Cliff

All correct except for your Derek point. This happens at every college basketball arena around the country. Tomonaga should’ve been T’d up in the first of our game, RHJ should have been T’d up against Indiana but they weren’t… you let the kids play mostly when they have been heckled the whole game.
The issue apparently was not him doing the “eating” motion or the “shhh” motion. It was him yelling “Shut the **** up” to the crowd right in front of the ref. Tominaga doesn’t curse at the crowd.

J Will is as advertised. He brings everything. He's clearly the leader of this team on the court which might explain why the on court leadership has been so lacking all season

Mag was excellent getting easy buckets around the rim with off ball movement. Huge FTs. Elite defense that last possession. He had two bad games and too many people though he all of a sudden wasn't good

The defense is elite and even better now with JMike. If Cliff and JWill don't get in foul trouble this game isn't close. The defense will keep us in games. With JWill we will be in games we wouldn't have before

Ogbole and Griffiths showed some promise despite not big box scores

Hyatt efficient but thought he needed to step up more given the foul trouble and Simpson poor shooting

Cliff some big buckets. Using the glass more on this baseline drop step hook. Love to see it

Simpson a couple big buckets and effort as always. Yet another 2-9 sub 30% game. He's been fairly consistent with these types of efforts. Pike sitting him early second half was big

JMike effort defense and a big 3. A couple really nice pump fakes for open looks that didn't fall

Team did not fold after that T and run. Love to see the heart and fight to take the victory on the road with the refs against them

Pike is a good coach

This is spot on. This goes on in every game and nobody gets T'd up. Refs should be taken out back for this game.

Great review. Will say that J Will really opens up the offense with proper spacing and you can actually see that we do run an offense MOST OF THE TIME. Very different when you have players that can create the spacing and create for others.
I'm saying it again but if Gavin ever starts to hit some shots this whole thing opens up for us. I would even settle for Hyatt hitting a few also and find them intertwined at that spot to add some additional offense for us as we need others besides Mag(scoring leader today), JWill, Simpson, and Cliff
If we can get one of Hyatt or Griffiths to be a scorer each game it would be huge. If we ever have a good night shooting the 3 as a team, we will be extremely tough to beat

#7 - there didn't seem to be much of a home court advantage tonight. Crowd looked thin. But still great to get another road win.

1. Jeremiah Williams is the best player on the team, hands down. Defense, rebounding, clutch shot making, leadership. 14 humongous points. And played most of the 2nd half with 4 fouls.

Shame on NCAA for holding JW decisions this long. One person has changed the whole attitude of the team.

I mean that’s the definition of bend but don’t break right?

Really clutch that JWill makes that bucket and Money Mag hits both FTs. We could have easily melted and lost that on the road with the refs in our shorts.

Awesome win.

LET’S GO KNIGHTS!

The issue apparently was not him doing the “eating” motion or the “shhh” motion. It was him yelling “Shut the **** up” to the crowd right in front of the ref. Tominaga doesn’t curse at the crowd.
Source?

1. Awful awful officiating. I didn’t see any curse. And if he did you warn him. Don’t change the game which Official did. Wasn’t mocking Maryland team or player. Ridiculous call. Nebraska kid would have 25 T’s then.

2. Awful awful officiating. Out of bounds play same ref. Clearly out on Maryland. Why have replay?

3. Awful awful officiating. We get mugged and no calls. Best two RU players quickly in foul trouble. But no fouls on Maryland. Ridiculous.

4. Williams so good. Godsend. F the NCAA.

5. I know Simpson didn’t shoot great. But made the big shots and D on Young was outstanding. And you know what, Derek had three assists and 1 turnover. Young had three assists and 5 turnovers. Handled Maryland’s pressure very well.

6. Nice game by Mags.

7. Davis three was big.

8. A lot of you ripping Fernandes but he had nice minutes defensively and rebounds were big. Nice minutes.

9. Weird Gavin didn’t score but he played major minutes and didn’t hurt us defensively and had some nice passes.

10. This game is all about next year. Pike outcoached Willard and the refs on a close game on the road. Two road games in a row. If we hit some shots which I still think will come we win by double digits.

11. Where are the naysayers who don’t think our defense is elite?

Great Win. I could careless if we win ugly.

Up there with OSU with ridiculously bad Officiating

Nice review Degaz!!!

The defense we get from JMike, JWill and Mag with Cliff at the rim. We will finish 2nd in the country in defense behind Houston. It will give us a chance at winning every game home or road in our final 9 games. We might be a very dangerous team into March as opposed to sputter down the stretch in 22-23.

Rutgers shot really well down the stretch. Their defense was absolutely lights out tonight. I'm not sure how long they held the Terps scoreless in the 2nd half, but the last I saw it was almost at 11 minutes. That's phenomenal.

Here is the ultimate game summary.

This is why you need good assistant coaches to find players and have connections. Smoke Williamson being brought in by Pike/Brandin Knight, gives a different energy to the staff and players. As much as anything, Smoke landed JWill, landed Dylan Grant and has RU in the mix with some other Chicago, Detroit and Midwest kids.

I have no idea whether RU can land a star like 2025 Trey McKinney, but if anyone of quality from the MAC or Midwest hits the portal and wants to join this roster, we now have a chance to fill holes.

One player, Jeremiah Williams with ZERO games under his belt puts up 10 PTS in game one and 14 PTS in 2 road games.

Mag looks completely different with Williams on the court....Cliff has a little more of a chance....Davis is stepping up his game on both ends. And we are winning by snuffing out possessions on defense and NOT hitting 3s.

If we get anything going from 3, this season changes in a hurry. Great quality back to back road wins.

Recruits pay attention, when players flash like JWill has done, especially from a city of Chicago where we have no track record of recruiting from. Great 4 days to be a RU basketball fan.

The defense we get from JMike, JWill and Mag with Cliff at the rim. We will finish 2nd in the country in defense behind Houston. It will give us a chance at winning every game home or road in our final 9 games.
Come on… are you trying to tick RU fans off? Simpson D was as good if not better than everybody mentioned and can’t ignore Fernandes rebounding.

Degaz, as always, a great write-up. Regarding #4, that technical against Simpson nearly turned the game around. I would have been so pissed if we ended up losing because of that bonehead move by him. I know some here think other players do it all the time and never get a technical, but Simpson, IMO, went overboard with the feed me gesture, the shoosh gesture, and I agree with you, Degaz. He cursed right in front of the official. That's why he got T'd up.

Yes, it as a great defensive rock fight by us, and we really stymied Young and Scott, who never seem to get on track.

As for the officiating, this game was horribly called, especially the strange call by the center court official who called a NON-CALL against Cliff that fouled him out. Also, with time winding down in the game, that ball on our end was knocked out by Maryland, and it wasn't even close.

Come on… are you trying to tick RU fans off? Simpson D was as good if not better than everybody mentioned and can’t ignore Fernandes rebounding.
O assists 4 TOs in 13 minutes for a senior PG who was a starter beginning of the season is dreadful

Rebounds were nice, but it doesn't erase how terrible he was overall. You seem incapable of admitting anyone ever has a bad game for some reason

Lets be honest. We are really bad offensively. Our D is sustainable this year because we have depth.

Gavin has turned the corner (it appears) on D. Lets give him a spare key for the offense.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
O assists 4 TOs in 13 minutes for a senior PG who was a starter beginning of the season is dreadful

Rebounds were nice, but it doesn't erase how terrible he was overall. You seem incapable of admitting anyone ever has a bad game for some reason
Fernandes was very good on D and active on the bench. Yes his offense makes me wants to puke, but he had a hand in this win for sure

Agree, they do that, and we are looking a nice run to end the regular season

Reactions: RUBlackout

Tomonaga just shushed.

He didn’t yell at the crowd

And he didn’t yell a curse word

As much as I didn’t like tomonaga doing that

Simpsons was waaaaay more

Dumb

Reactions: LeapinLou
I wonder if Pike is a good coach again now that he's actually playing with a full team of players again? lol
Pike is and has been a good coach but yes having JW and the rest of the team makes a difference Thanks NCAA for screwing us royally. Rutgers very well be 16-6 … 17-5 now.

If we can get one of Hyatt or Griffiths to be a scorer each game it would be huge. If we ever have a good night shooting the 3 as a team, we will be extremely tough to beat
I am waiting for the day we actually have lights out shooting and just destroy a team. Against SHU we actually shot very well and look at how that ended.

Reactions: Scangg
Interesting stat

Reese was 8-10 from the field

The rest of the Maryland team? 9-44. That’s 20.5%.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
I really think Mag has found a second wind. After being out for almost a year, he was thrown right into the starting lineup his first game back, in a huge rivalry game no less and logged major minutes from there on out. I think he hit a wall at a certain point but now seems to have been rejuvinated.

Some additional stats:

We shot 14-28 in the second half, including 2-5 from deep.

We were 9-11 on free throws for the game, including 4-4 in the second half.

We scored 34 points on 31 possessions in the second half. That’s very efficient for our usually inefficient offense.

We had 12 TOs in the first half, but only 3 TOs in the second half.

Steve Pikiell wins halftime again…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT